Huge Piece of Shit and alleged Woman Abuser Chris Beard has been hired at Mississippi

The Ace of Aces

3 minutes ago, troph said:

Modern era it’s only happened in baseball.

I would argue that Penders and Barnes back to back were good hires. But it depends on how we're measuring it. Those aren't Gustafson/Garrido/Pierce levels for sure. In terms of hiring best candidates available and them doing a good job with the program, I think both hires were good, though. 

The truth is the athletic department went through a bad time for a while, but now the hirings have been really good across the board. Since people almost never leave Texas for another job, there hasn't been the need to make back to back good hires. The initial good hire hasn't departed. 

But we're looking for at least having one of the top 10 coaches in the country. By definition that means there aren't many candidates who will fit that paradigm. Beard did. A lot of the others - like, say, Bill Self or Mark Few - aren't going anywhere. If you take away the ones that won't be leaving their current situation, the percentages of getting it right at the level we'd all want to see goes down precipitously. KU has nailed their last 3 hires, but they're about the only ones, unless Davis or Scheyer end up being home runs, which the jury is still out on. 

I hope it's a home run. If it's not, then they'll be fired some time down the road and UT will go through the motions again. The nice thing is the things that make UT an attractive job aren't going anywhere. The bad thing is we had the answer, and now we don't. 

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

I would argue that Penders and Barnes back to back were good hires. But it depends on how we're measuring it. Those aren't Gustafson/Garrido/Pierce levels for sure. In terms of hiring best candidates available and them doing a good job with the program, I think both hires were good, though. 

The truth is the athletic department went through a bad time for a while, but now the hirings have been really good across the board. Since people almost never leave Texas for another job, there hasn't been the need to make back to back good hires. The initial good hire hasn't departed. 

But we're looking for at least having one of the top 10 coaches in the country. By definition that means there aren't many candidates who will fit that paradigm. Beard did. A lot of the others - like, say, Bill Self or Mark Few - aren't going anywhere. If you take away the ones that won't be leaving their current situation, the percentages of getting it right at the level we'd all want to see goes down precipitously. KU has nailed their last 3 hires, but they're about the only ones, unless Davis or Scheyer end up being home runs, which the jury is still out on. 

I hope it's a home run. If it's not, then they'll be fired some time down the road and UT will go through the motions again. The nice thing is the things that make UT an attractive job aren't going anywhere. The bad thing is we had the answer, and now we don't. 

Penders, Barnes, Beard was a heck of a progression I agree especially if the standard is applied in context. Assuming Beard is a championship coach (he’s not proven it quite yet) then it hasn’t happened in any major sport other than baseball.  But applying context yeah, you’re totally correct AND maybe it should give us some comfort that Texas can hire well here for where the program is and that’s on the cusp.  Glass half full?

Edited by troph

21 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

sorry, but this is gonna be long (title of my sex tape).-

i really suffered through the shaka years. it was seriously upsetting to watch the program that i love so much being run by such an inept, unqualified, buffoonish snake oil salesman. we recruited better than all but a handful of programs, and yet the product on the court was unwatchable, and the results at the end of the year were just a gut punch. here's how bad things got for me towards the end of shaka's reign of terror:

from an older post of mine, re: Texas losing to ACU:

the end of gbat game was a super surreal experience for me. the entire night vs ACU was just a miserable experience. it was so fucking frustrating to watch Shaka Smart's opus, the absolute zenith of his ass-backwards, incomprehensibly brain dead style of coaching. it was slamming your dick in the door for two hours. but then, with time running out, my favorite player of the Shaka Smart era, Andrew Jones, hit a clutch three to give Texas the lead...and my heart sank into the pit of my stomach. wtf?!? how in the fuck did we get to a point to where my favorite player hitting a go-ahead three with time running out to give Texas the lead in an NCAA tournament game MAKES ME ILL. it's not like it was a conscious decision- that three went in and my heart sank before the ball even hit the ground. that is how bad things were under Shaka. we were going to win the game, and i was devastated by that fact. i felt like a battered spouse who couldn't escape their abuser. it was absolutely fucking surreal, and not in any kind of positive way.

i was crestfallen; disconsolate; inconsolable. i was having my heart ripped out because the team that i love so much and have loved for so long was about to win an NCAA tournament game. but then ACU got the ball, they got into the lane, they got fouled, and now they've got two shots at the line to beat my beloved Texas Longhorns, and here i am, sitting in my living room, praying to god that this kid from Abilene Christian sinks both FTs and beats the team that i love so much. and he did. and here we are, about to open the very next season in the top 5 of the polls, and Shaka is 1,000 miles away. just totally, completely surreal.

Things were so hopelessly terrible under shaka that my inner most being, the core of who i am, wanted Texas to lose and to fail, no matter what it took, just to get rid of the cancer we had at head coach. as someone whose literal first memories are of loving Texas Basketball, that's a pain i don't wish on any sports fan, save sooners and aggies. to make it worse, my dream hire, chris beard, gad been given an extension at TTU only a year prior, meaning he was not a serious candidate to replace shaka. and then a miracle happened.

from another recent post of mine:

chris beard got to Texas, immediately signed the top transfer class, won the program's first tourney game in 8 years, got all eligible players from said transfer class to return, signed two 5 stars, and by week three of his second season had Texas in the top 5 and receiving first place votes. he did all of that in the 18 months immediately following shaka's loss to ACU.

you wanna talk about surreal? to go from absolute anguish over the state of my oldest and first love, to then suddenly overnight seeing the program at the doorstep of being a top 5 national program year in and year out- it was like i had been brought back from the dead and was suddenly surrounded by victoria's secret angels whose only job was to give me sponge baths and feed me chicken wings. ab. so. lute. ly. surreal. from hell to heaven, in the blink of an eye. 

at least that's how it was up until two weeks ago. now it's as if i'm just waking up from a coma, and the entire chris beard era was nothing but a drug induced wet dream. now i'm waking up to find a fat, sweaty orderly telling me that all of my organs are failing and that unless i get a miracle transplant i'm going to die. the never ending future of limitless possibilities and chicken wing sponge baths was all just a dream, and now reality has smacked me awake and i'm right back where i was when Andrew Jones hit that three pointer: crestfallen; disconsolate; inconsolable. 

i am right there with slx and pancho in terms of what this program means to me, but unlike most here i could not give a shit less about UT football compared to Texas Hoops. Texas Basketball is my lifelong no.1 love, from as far back as i can remember, and nothing else really comes close for me. i grew up at practices, in the locker rooms, at all of the games. travis mays was the first person who i considered to be "my best friend", back when i was just four years old. fast forward a decade, and it's rick barnes's first practice at Texas, and i'm off to the side playing 1 on 1 with his son, Nick. my entire childhood was shaped by Texas Basketball, my first love, and that love has never waned- it's only caused me to feel great pain during our hard times, and unbridled joy during the good times. and to this day i still have countless relationships with people from the UT Basketball family, from the 80's all the way up to today. Texas Basketball has always been my life.

i still can't believe this is happening. i took nearly a week off from posting when the news hit, because i was already grieving, and in no mood to be talking about basketball with anyone. now i'm back, and i'm just waiting for the final, official word that my dream, a dream that i actually got to live, is being crushed. without going into it too far, i'll just say that my mental health issues have led to some serious physical health issues for me, and things were not looking good for for a while there. i had to have some tough conversations with my loved ones about how much time i might have left. then suddenly we had a breakthrough, and i've been experiencing an unexpected good turn with my physical health, which happened to coincide with our fantastic start to the season.everything was coming up derka. and then the news hit. my mom came over that evening and i said to her, "this was the best thing i had going for me; this was keeping me alive." to which she solemnly replied, "i know."

why am i writing all of this? perhaps it's an attempt at finding some catharsis? i don't even know. and that's really it- i can't even wrap my head and my emotions around this enough to find myself on stable footing in terms of how i feel or where i stand. i'm still in a daze from finding out that my waking fantasy had only been a dream. the thrilling present and the amazing, unlimited future have just been snatched from beneath me, and now i'm just dead inside all over again. i watched that k state game and felt absolutely nothing. my needle didn't move one iota. and that's because my heart is dead, and the only AED's that exist (donovan, wright, calipari) ain't showing up any time soon. 

to wrap this up, please allow me quote the late, great augie garrido: "you may have a lot in your life; i don't." i used to have a life, a career, and (somewhat) healthy mind and body. but with all of my health problems and my loss of employment years ago, now i have my mom, my failing health, and my sports teams. and all of those teams combined mean less to me than this UT Basketball program. this one really is an all-time hurter to the heart for me. i honestly may never feel the same way about UT Hoops ever again. this one may just too big of a blow for me to ever fully recover. this one really hurts. 

Hang in there dude. Don't let this derail the progress you made with your health. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 4

Well, this sucks. Penders to Barnes was progress. I can’t imagine we hire a better coach than Beard or that this in any way works out. 
winning a title in hoops requires consistent excellence and a little luck, or lightning in a bottle dumb luck. Beard, I believe would have given us a chance at the former. I guess now we get to hope/pray for the latter. 

i'm just praying right now that there's some totally unknown, young, up-and-coming, former CBB player who's an assistant out there in the NBA somewhere who ends up getting this job and is a total revelation. some young, fairly recognizable name with more than enough cred to keep the recruiting flowing, but who is essentially the sean mcvey of basketball, and who sees this job as an opportunity to show what he's got as a HC. because right now that seems as realistic to me as any other scenario where we actually have a positive outcome from this mess.

• Hook 'Em 2

Man, I was as excited about Texas basketball as I had ever been in my lifetime. Was thinking about buying season tickets next year. This is a huge gut punch. And given that football has continued to be an asswhip, that makes the Beard news even worse. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3
  • Rage+1 1

8 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

i'm just praying right now that there's some totally unknown, young, up-and-coming, former CBB player who's an assistant out there in the NBA somewhere who ends up getting this job and is a total revelation. some young, fairly recognizable name with more than enough cred to keep the recruiting flowing, but who is essentially the sean mcvey of basketball, and who sees this job as an opportunity to show what he's got as a HC. because right now that seems as realistic to me as any other scenario where we actually have a positive outcome from this mess.

Weren't a lot of people big on hiring Royal Ivey?

It’s interesting and dynamic to me that some of the posters who most genuinely care aboutTexas basketball were willing to engage in realistic discussion when Beard left Tech are the ones posting some long lamentations regarding the situation now.  Namely SL Xpress, Derka, and yes, Pancho.

I’ll just say I’m sorry y’all are having those feelings and having to deal with this the way it has gone down.  I’ll just remind you- the story ain’t all told yet. When things suck and look bleak as hell, the recovery can be fucking great. 

1 hour ago, TornACL said:

I don't know if it's solely an IT thing or what, but it makes me laugh how we're constantly told that Eltife is "making the decisions". 

He must have some lackeys somewhere constantly trying to pump this bullshit to make him seem bigger (no pun intended).

Ultimately this decision goes to the President's desk, I am sure of it. If Eltife's decision had been to keep him under any circumstances that would have needed the full approval of highest UT leadership.

So, no, this is not in fact his decision.

This is so naive its stupid. This is the 2nd highest paid person in the UT System with a ton of legal exposure. It's not Jay Hartzels decision, it's not CDCs decision it never has been. This is going to cost well into the 8 figures to unfuck. 

1 hour ago, boilerhorn said:

To pile on to this.  If Eltife is making these decisions (he's not), the entire accountability, responsibility, and authority alignment at UT is FUBAR.  However, it is not.

If Eltife is formally involved at all, it is as a result of Hartzell bringing a topic to the Board of Regents for support/consideration/etc.  Not unlike when a corporate CEO is making a giant decision and wants to make sure the board is aligned.

This is not how any of this works. This is like Sundar Pichai just saying fuck it I don't like Chrome and killing it with only "board support and consideration" it's laughable.

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Does the firing need approval by the BoR if there is some sort of payout? That's the only scenario I could see where Eltife getting involved or for approving pay of next hire.

Yes, I can't believe people think that UT anyone can do anything without BoR approval. They have to approve fucking raises for assistants. You think firing a head coach where there is certainly a buyout or legal exposure for wrongful termination in an extremely public way isn't going to involve them? 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

2 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

Who knows? That was the other rumored candidate. A lot of former players were backing him. He got an interview. 

I love Ivey. I used to post all the time that he'd make a great coaching candidate in the future, and hoped he might come back to UT some day.

But that was assuming he'd make it as a head coach somewhere. I'm just not a fan of hiring an unproven assistant in any sport at Texas. For me, it's not the UT way. Hire the best proven commodity out there who is interested in the job. Pay them what it takes to get them on board. That's the only thing that has ever made sense to me. 

1 minute ago, immamac said:

This is so naive its stupid. This is the 2nd highest paid person in the UT System with a ton of legal exposure. It's not Jay Hartzels decision, it's not CDCs decision it never has been. This is going to cost well into the 8 figures to unfuck. 

This is not how any of this works. This is like Sundar Pichai just saying fuck it I don't like Chrome and killing it with only "board support and consideration" it's laughable.

Yes, I can't believe people think that UT anyone can do anything without BoR approval. They have to approve fucking raises for assistants. You think firing a head coach where there is certainly a buyout or legal exposure for wrongful termination in an extremely public way isn't going to involve them? 

I didn't understand any of those takes. 

The university system isn't exactly analogous to a company with a board of directors anyway. It's a public institution funded by taxpayers with a huge responsibility to the general public at large. The Board of Regents is at the top of the hierarchal pyramid, and the one appointed to keep the public interest as a central part of their decision making. If any one of the athletic director, president, or chairman of the BoR go rogue, with no level of collaboration or alignment sought out before making an important decision, they're simply not going to be able to last. And it's not like the buck necessarily stops with Eltife, either. I'm sure he was in consultation with fellow BoR members and the governor as well. None of these guys is Frank Erwin. I'm not sure someone with that kind of influence will ever be possible at Texas again. 

People also keep talking about how Texas can fire with cause, and use sovereign immunity to get out of any subsequent lawsuit. I guess that's technically feasible, but that's never been the Texas way. The one time they tried to fire with cause and fight the subsequent lawsuit was with Bev Kearney, and I absolutely know for certain everyone involved with that decision wishes they'd just negotiated a settlement from the get go. That was a different deal because she brought forward a discriminatory lawsuit that bypassed sovereign immunity, but it was also a crystal clear decision after all parties admitted she'd slept with one of her athletes. Notice she's never been hired since, which will be different than what will happen with Beard.

Texas is going to want this to go away as quietly and quickly as possible, as much as is possible with FOIA. That's going to entail a large amount of money passing hands. Which is going to intimately involve the BoR. 

I haven’t seen anyone mention it, but Tech fired Leach for cause for doing nothing and hid behind sovereign immunity. That is still a horrible move on their part. However, Texas actually has cause and the same sovereign immunity. I don’t think it’s a given that this has to cost Texas a ton of money. This isn’t the same as firing Tom Herman for losing football games and being a douche. Texas would obviously prefer not to use sovereign immunity in a situation like this, to avoid having a reputation of not following its contracts, but this situation is different. At worst, they will have better bargaining power for a likely settlement imo. I doubt beard receives all of his contract the way other firings have. 

18 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

But that was assuming he'd make it as a head coach somewhere. I'm just not a fan of hiring an unproven assistant in any sport at Texas. For me, it's not the UT way. Hire the best proven commodity out there who is interested in the job. Pay them what it takes to get them on board. That's the only thing that has ever made sense to me. 

This attitude gets us Charlie Strong and Tom Herman because we refuse to hire top, innovative assistants with no HC experience. We also often exclude HC’s from outside D1 for the same reason. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, HornyPony69 said:

I haven’t seen anyone mention it, but Tech fired Leach for cause for doing nothing and hid behind sovereign immunity. That is still a horrible move on their part. However, Texas actually has cause and the same sovereign immunity. I don’t think it’s a given that this has to cost Texas a ton of money. This isn’t the same as firing Tom Herman for losing football games and being a douche. Texas would obviously prefer not to use sovereign immunity in a situation like this, to avoid having a reputation of not following its contracts, but this situation is different. At worst, they will have better bargaining power for a likely settlement imo. I doubt beard receives all of his contract the way other firings have. 

There's still a lot of room between 0 and $50 million. Even if the buyout ends up being closer to the zero number, like @immamac already stated, I foresee this easily getting into the 10 figure range just to make it go away. 

26 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

i think he'd be a great assistant, but really, the way that many of us as Texas fans started to convince ourselves that Royal Ivey was going to be as good a hire as anyone else just goes to show how special and surprising the beard hiring was in the first place. there really is no hope of replicating such a home run of a hire.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

There's still a lot of room between 0 and $50 million. Even if the buyout ends up being closer to the zero number, like @immamac already stated, I foresee this easily getting into the 10 figure range just to make it go away. 

I didn’t see his statement at first so apologies for beating the dead horse. My only thought is that the situation does give us better leverage than most coach firing situations, if we actually go that route.

1 minute ago, Murfdogg21 said:

This attitude gets us Charlie Strong and Tom Herman because we refuse to hire top, innovative assistants with no HC experience. We also often exclude HC’s from outside D1 for the same reason. 

I couldn't disagree more strongly. Charlie Strong was a shit hire at the time. The idea he was the most qualified head coach out there willing to take the job is laughable.

Tom Herman was a flavor of the month who successfully parlayed interest from LSU into creating a feeding frenzy for his services with an interim athletic director and a short term president about to head off to a school that focuses more on academics pulling the trigger. 

I'm not saying I'm a huge Brian Kelly or Lincoln Riley fan, but that's the type of hire I'm talking about. Mack Brown was that type of hire. Fred Akers, David McWilliams, John Mackovic, Charlie Strong, Tom Herman, and Steve Sarkisian are not that kind of hire. 

Other institutions can go out and hire top innovative assistants and HCs from outside D1. I want us hiring the Augie Garridos of the world whenever possible. Make it a slam dunk. Chris Beard was that kind of hire. Let's go out and try for the same kind of caliber of candidate. That's the hope, anyway.

Whoever it is has big shoes to fill for such a short period as head coach. For me Beard had it all. But there are other really good coaches out there. Hopefully we get one of them. 

I have ZERO desire to see a coach get the job who has no head coaching experience. This isn't a training ground. This athletic department should be the apex predator. The big fish eating the smaller fishes. Let them cut their teeth somewhere else and then we'll hire them. 

• Hook 'Em 8

7 minutes ago, HornyPony69 said:

I didn’t see his statement at first so apologies for beating the dead horse. My only thought is that the situation does give us better leverage than most coach firing situations, if we actually go that route.

No one should have to apologize for beating a dead horse on this thread regardless. There's a Great Western Plains filled with pulpy equine carcasses on here. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, SL Xpress said:

I didn't understand any of those takes. 

The university system isn't exactly analogous to a company with a board of directors anyway. It's a public institution funded by taxpayers with a huge responsibility to the general public at large. The Board of Regents is at the top of the hierarchal pyramid, and the one appointed to keep the public interest as a central part of their decision making. If any one of the athletic director, president, or chairman of the BoR go rogue, with no level of collaboration or alignment sought out before making an important decision, they're simply not going to be able to last. And it's not like the buck necessarily stops with Eltife, either. I'm sure he was in consultation with fellow BoR members and the governor as well. None of these guys is Frank Erwin. I'm not sure someone with that kind of influence will ever be possible at Texas again. 

People also keep talking about how Texas can fire with cause, and use sovereign immunity to get out of any subsequent lawsuit. I guess that's technically feasible, but that's never been the Texas way. The one time they tried to fire with cause and fight the subsequent lawsuit was with Bev Kearney, and I absolutely know for certain everyone involved with that decision wishes they'd just negotiated a settlement from the get go. That was a different deal because she brought forward a discriminatory lawsuit that bypassed sovereign immunity, but it was also a crystal clear decision after all parties admitted she'd slept with one of her athletes. Notice she's never been hired since, which will be different than what will happen with Beard.

Texas is going to want this to go away as quietly and quickly as possible, as much as is possible with FOIA. That's going to entail a large amount of money passing hands. Which is going to intimately involve the BoR. 

I think I must of lost all of my reading comprehension skills. I think this is what Immamac was saying too?

3 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

I think I must of lost all of my reading comprehension skills. I think this is what Immamac was saying too?

Yeah, I agreed with him. 

I didn’t agree with the google chrome analogy, but I absolutely agreed with him regarding my incredulousness towards the takes about involving the BoR. 

39 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

Yeah, I agreed with him. 

I didn’t agree with the google chrome analogy, but I absolutely agreed with him regarding my incredulousness towards the takes about involving the BoR. 

it's a total group decision. anyone thinking there's a dictator here is acting silly.  Even if there isn't a specific written policy for including BoR for decisions relating to certain positions, the fact that this decision (either way) has major PR (i.e. National PR), financial and operational considerations means that everyone is involved.  AD, President, BofR, all of them.  no FYI I'm going to do this, instead collaborative discussions and decision making happening in a group setting.  The only thing I think that might add a wrinkle is open records where less than a quorum is always confirmed but otherwise still discussing in groups, but with confidentiality and ongoing investigation type exceptions in the open records law, I suspect even full meetings could have have happened to discuss.

2 minutes ago, CycleTex87 said:

Agreed on basketball.  Baseball still TBD on Pierce IMO.

Gus to Augie was no worse than equal and astonishingly an amazing transition in hindsight from one legend to another active legend.

With their level of coaching and success, including Augie at CSF at the time he came to Texas, Pierce is a step down, de facto. Nothing he can do about that. It's possible he can win 2 or more championships in which case hindsight he could be at that level.  But at the time of hire, as bullish as anyone might be on Pierce, he was in fact a step down.  That's why no one wants to follow a legend, let alone two.

2 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Uh there was a little someone worthless in between Barnes and Beard. 

shit, I blocked that out already.  literally, had no interest in those teams.  haha what a slip.

• immamac changed the title to Huge Piece of Shit and Woman Abuser Chris Beard has been hired at Mississippi
  • immamac changed the title to Huge Piece of Shit and alleged Woman Abuser Chris Beard has been hired at Mississippi