the 2023 speaker of the house voting thread of implosion

henrygandorf

1 hour ago, Incredulity said:

Well this is looking very spot on

I feel like it's a pretty sure bet these days that republicans will do literally anything if they think it'll help trump or outflank their rivals from the right. Hell instead of working on passing a funding bill the very same chucklefucks were instead posting photoshopped pictures as evidence and leaving early from an impeachment hearing they insisted on.

Congrats on your vote doing what you wanted it to

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Captainant said:

I feel like it's a pretty sure bet these days that republicans will do literally anything if they think it'll help trump or outflank their rivals from the right. Hell instead of working on passing a funding bill the very same chucklefucks were instead posting photoshopped pictures as evidence and leaving early from an impeachment hearing they insisted on.

If George Soros were paying a bunch of those Republicans to do this kind of shit, to fight with with other Republicans, to throw the GOP into array and shut down the government while Matt Gaetz is going on camera and saying it's the Republicans shutting it down, to have DeSantis out there blaming Trump for inflation, etc.,  then Soros is getting his money's worth and then some.

9 hours ago, GopherRock said:

All of this assumes that there are 218 votes to sustain the motion to vacate. I'm not convinced there is. 

IMHO the best thing for Hakeem Jeffries to do with this is order his caucus to abstain when the motion is tabled. 

Jayapal said that the Dems will not save McCarthy unless he offers up a power sharing agreement in writing and passed by House Rules. They don't trust him after the impeachment nonsense and going back on his debt ceiling deal.  It's a view shared by most of the Progressive Caucus and most of the House dem caucus.

And Punchbowl is hearing the motion to vacate vote is going to happen next week, shutdown or not. 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

8 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Has a speaker even been vacated?

Who gets to be the next speaker?

No one knows. Whoever the crazies want probably can’t get the votes from the moderates. The moderates and Dems could put someone up. Or the Dems could save McCarthy and make him their puppet 

1 hour ago, Neonmoon said:

Has a speaker even been vacated?

Who gets to be the next speaker?

This would be unprecedented. I found this:

No speaker has ever been removed in this manner

If a resolution were to pass, the House would enter into unchartered waters of making new precedent. Under continuity of Congress procedures enacted after the Sept. 11, 2001 terrorist attacks, there is a list of people who can act as speaker pro tempore in an event where the speakership is vacated. This was created in anticipation of a mass casualty event like a terrorist attack, but it would apply if the speakership is vacated. The irony is that list is written by the sitting speaker — so McCarthy knows who is on the list — and it is kept by the House clerk and only to be made public in the event of a vacancy.

https://www.npr.org/2023/09/30/1202713718/kevin-mccarthy-motion-to-vacate-gaetz-house-speaker

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

Very interesting

My demands would be:

1. Up and down vote on the impeachment inquiry - try to end it once and for all or put the moderate R’s in a hard vote

2. Bipartisan passed Senate bills have to get put up for a vote

3. Motion to vacate removed from the rules

4. Agreement in place to avoid another shutdown in November 

50/50 split on committees is probably asking for too much 

• Hook 'Em 2

36 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

If a resolution were to pass, the House would enter into unchartered waters of making new precedent. Under continuity of Congress procedures enacted after the Sept. 11, 2001 terrorist attacks, there is a list of people who can act as speaker pro tempore in an event where the speakership is vacated. This was created in anticipation of a mass casualty event like a terrorist attack, but it would apply if the speakership is vacated. The irony is that list is written by the sitting speaker — so McCarthy knows who is on the list — and it is kept by the House clerk and only to be made public in the event of a vacancy.

https://www.npr.org/2023/09/30/1202713718/kevin-mccarthy-motion-to-vacate-gaetz-house-speaker

1. Frank Stallone

• Haha 2

40 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

What if Hakeem is no.1 on the list?

McCarthy would have played his caucus.

Me or Hakeem, bitches!!

One of you Surlys check my math.  Haha.

• Drool 1

3 hours ago, Js1 said:

Very interesting

My demands would be:

1. Up and down vote on the impeachment inquiry - try to end it once and for all or put the moderate R’s in a hard vote

2. Bipartisan passed Senate bills have to get put up for a vote

3. Motion to vacate removed from the rules

4. Agreement in place to avoid another shutdown in November 

50/50 split on committees is probably asking for too much 

2 fer Tues handjob specials from Boebert!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

For those more well-versed in the particular power brokers in the House, would this be the sort of opportunity for the Dems to smother quite a bit of MAGA power in the House?

A semi-functioning legislature as we start up election season doesn’t seem like the usual scenario the simulation throws at us. 

55 minutes ago, Stilicho said:

For those more well-versed in the particular power brokers in the House, would this be the sort of opportunity for the Dems to smother quite a bit of MAGA power in the House?

A semi-functioning legislature as we start up election season doesn’t seem like the usual scenario the simulation throws at us. 

What power?

Despite their slim majority, they've shown no ability to leverage it into anything.  The MAGA wing likes to make soundbites, but they aren't smart enough to figure out that real governance isn't done on OAN or Fox or whatever lunatic outlet they are on, it's done by understanding leverage and making deals.  Attempting to just burn everything down for attention seeking purposes has got them exactly zero.  Good news for us, they are too stupid to get it.  

The budget battle was beyond idiotic because none of them seem to understand power.  Imagine if you are selling a house, and you know the buy is soon to be homeless if you don't complete the deal, it might be in the potential buyers best interest to negotiate softly, start with a price reduction of say 5% to get the deal done.  That's not what these idiots did, instead, they tried to knock 30% off the asking price, just because.  Well if you are the seller, I think you'd tell them to fuck off, in part because you know they really don't have any other option.  Well that's exactly what House Democrats did, they told them to fuck off.  They knew going in the House Republicans had no shade (to fit the analogy about to be homeless) because they don't control the Senate, nor the Executive Branch.  Without at least on of those, House Republicans have no leverage.  Further, if they shuttered the government, public perception wouldn't hurt idiots from the Freedom Caucus who live in solidly red districts, it would hurt vulnerable Republican seats.  That didn't matter to any of the Freedom Caucus, because they are morons, but it sure as hell mattered to vulnerable Republicans, which is why they punted and caved.  

McCarthy, who is a big fucking idiot in his own right, is hamstrung by his own lunatic fringe.  Quite simply, he's either too stupid or incompetent; either way, unable to build any sort of coalition within his own ranks.  (I think it's a bit of both, as he keeps getting himself publicly humiliated).  Even if he could manage to stumble into some form of coalition within his ranks (unlikely), he and they would still have no leverage.  

Now what would be glorious, and this is possible, is if McCarthy gets ousted next week (likely for a more idiotic version of himself), and Gaetz gets expelled from congress for ethics.  If we are looking for a hat trick of House Republican failure next week, maybe Paul Gosar can somehow manage to get caught up in all this and get ousted as well.  

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Stilicho said:

Like BamaATL said, the Dems are not functioning very well.

If anything, I think it's a chance for McCarthy to call Gaetz and Co.'s bluff and relegate them to the sideline. If McCarthy decides that his power lies with the moderate Republicans and with the Dems, Gaetz and Co. are fucked, and it's not like Gaetz can take any more shit than he already is about McCarthy and his allies.  Gaetz has already vowed to destroy McCarthy any way he can, and made it clear that there was nothing McCarthy could do to change that, so McCarthy might as well sideline him.

And the ethics probe could be hilarious, and McCarthy could probably get Gaetz's committees stripped as well.

3 hours ago, Stilicho said:

No, and it would be a disaster for the Republicans, because they are fully owning it and not just because they control the House - Gaetz was even on TV a few days ago saying this was completely on the Republicans (he was all but boasting).

It's perfect fodder for the Dems to take back the House next year.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Stilicho said:

Like said below your post, they don't really have "power" in terms of setting the agenda and passing legislation.  Oh sure, they're the loudest voices on TV and generally making an ass of themselves in committee hearings. But they aren't effective legislators in the slightest. 

The Dems' only power play to smother the MAGA "power" is to either save McCarthy and extract painful concessions from him to continue letting him hold the gavel and pretend he has power or finding a moderate Republican they like as a compromise candidate that can grab 50-100 GOP members and enough Dems to put them over the top.  And yes, they do exist, but they'd probably be signing their career death warrant by being the compromise Speaker because the "moderate" ones are in purple districts where a MAGAtard will primary them. 

Either way, this Speaker fight is going to be so juicy and so great for Dems - Congressional GOP approvals plummeted after the first Speaker fight and the House is going to either get someone moderate or a very watered down McCarthy who is basically Speaker in Name Only.  There is no chance a MAGA-type will win the gavel - McCarthy has enough moderate allies to kill their chances. 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Drool 1

^

This scenario is becoming more and more likely.  Someone who gets to actually fulfill a coalition government, tilt right, get some shit done, and go down as a historic Speaker of the House not named McCarthy.  They'll be signing their own political death warrant within the GOP's primary machine, but they'll be remembered fondly in history books.  I know most of you don't believe in that anymore, but there's still a handful of them left.  And just remember what I tell you here today......................the Speaker of the House doesn't have to be a current Republican member of the U.S. House of Representatives.  It's the month of Halloween, I promise you---shit about to get even weirder.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Either way, this Speaker fight is going to be so juicy and so great for Dems - Congressional GOP approvals plummeted after the first Speaker fight and the House is going to either get someone moderate or a very watered down McCarthy who is basically Speaker in Name Only.  There is no chance a MAGA-type will win the gavel - McCarthy has enough moderate allies to kill their chances. 

I've seen a few saying that if Gaetz doesn't oust him and get somebody that Gaetz wants in there, he's toast.  One of those "if you aim at the king, you best not miss" scenarios (even though McCarthy is a shitty king in this scenario).

Would be hilarious if Gaetz is fighting for his own political survival and fucks up so bad that the people who could have shielded him will instead happily wave as he falls to the wayside, especially if the ethics probe comes into play, or he's stripped of his committee assignments (McCarthy has called him out as potentially trying to tie up the House's time with Speaker fights).

Oh, and I'm sure MTG and Boebert are going to get in there and fling some shit as well.  MTG is liable to deck Gaetz at this point.

Thanks to all the above for the education. 

I’m curious how this all plays out, especially for the “moderate” Rs. Joining with the Ds as a coalition to keep McCarthy speaker definitely puts a primary target on their back. I’ve already seen / heard the term “Uniparty” bandied about.

But I assume most probably already have those targets for various other MAGA grievances. 

It would warm my cold dead heart if Ds can flip some seats solely because an unsuccessful MAGA candidate runs 3rd party after losing a primary to a moderate R. 

• Drool 1

57 minutes ago, Stilicho said:

I’m curious how this all plays out, especially for the “moderate” Rs.

I think no matter what, Gaetz is done.  Reading around, way too many House Republicans publicly called him out by name on both the Speaker bullshit and the shutdown bullshit, not to mention he went on camera claiming credit for the would-be shutdown.  He'll try to get McCarthy booted and he'll fail.

Those House Republicans would not have publicly called Gaetz out by name if they were scared of him or his backers.

And none of them want any of this bullshit - shutdowns or Speaker controversies, heading into an election year.  Just because Gaetz maybe safe in his district, not everybody else is.

He’s really doing the trump playbook of threatening it. “You’ll see” “later this week” 

Also said he would file one over and over and over until McCarthy quits or someone else is chosen 😂

6 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I would think Dems would only join to keep McCarthy if McCarthy gives into some Dems demands, which would start a domino effect of losing more Rs. 

There are enough moderate Dems in Biden districts who need to put on their Murkowski/Collins/Manchin hat and show how bipartisan they can be. A) voters are suckers for that shit and B) means they continue to be in good graces with McCarthy’s PAC money 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Stilicho said:

would warm my cold dead heart if Ds can flip some seats solely because an unsuccessful MAGA candidate runs 3rd party after losing a primary to a moderate R. 

What if MAGA wins the primary and gets smoked in the general? 

I think I like that purple district scenario better. MAGA spends to lose. 

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, Js1 said:

He’s really doing the trump playbook of threatening it. “You’ll see” “later this week” 

Also said he would file one over and over and over until McCarthy quits or someone else is chosen 😂

Yeah, that's the crazy thing - he's vowed to keep filing over and over, which is just going to piss off Republicans who are already pissed off at him over the shutdown bullshit.  Those Republicans in contested districts or states have got to be really furious, given that he's doing it from a position of easily winning re-election.

Y'all remember Alabama Rep Mike Rogers with the worst dead possum toupee, who got drunk and had to be "held back" from punching Gaetz?

Before that, before the Crazy Coup, I heard Rogers on local talk radio relishing how the Xtreem Maga Caucus were all going to get sidelined. He gloated about it, dripping with Insider Evil.

Then MTG, Gaetz, et al got more power than anybody else, and Mike Powers went into Old Drunk Fat Alabama Frat Boy Kicked Out Of The Bar At 3 AM mode, wanting to tussle. (I have no doubt that the jackass Gaetz would have knocked Rogers out with Youthful Bath Salts Energy, then snatched his weave and paraded about waving it.)

But anyway, other than it amusing me, I bring this up to suggest that we multiply Rogers by about 100 other old evil fucks, and that's probably how many people will make a deal with the Democrats, just to stomp Gaetz and his ilk.

Edited by RDCanecutter
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

30 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

But anyway, other than it amusing me, I bring this up to suggest that we multiply Rogers by about 100 other old evil fucks, and that's probably how many people will make a deal with the Democrats, just to stomp Gaetz and his ilk.

Wasn't just the old evil fucks, Dan Crenshaw and a few other younger guys were publicly calling out Gaetz by name for fucking around with the shutdown and the Speaker bullshit.

We got us a civil war

200w.gif?cid=6c09b952sryo9doba5odoo0aqgz

• Drool 1

I don't know how D's will vote, but I can see a lot of them saying, "not my circus," and just not voting on the motion to vacate.  That would effectively require more R's to vote against McCarthy and the motion would fail.  I doubt any of them want to help McCarthy, but why should they bother?  Either way, they don't have anyone working for them.  

1 hour ago, PhillyD said:

I don't know how D's will vote, but I can see a lot of them saying, "not my circus," and just not voting on the motion to vacate.  That would effectively require more R's to vote against McCarthy and the motion would fail.  I doubt any of them want to help McCarthy, but why should they bother?  Either way, they don't have anyone working for them.  

I don't care who you are, if someone gives you the chance to rid an amoral asshole from your life, you take advantage of that opportunity.  

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, Gatorubet said:

I heard some guy on MSNBC tonight, I did not catch who, talking about the shit show going on with Gaetz. He was talking about Newt Gingrich posting a mean tweet about Gaetz for “making Republicans look bad.”

When talking about newt, the guy said: “Gingrich is the guy who dumped toxins in the body politic for decades, which directly led to the three-eyed Gaetz fish he’s complaining about.”

I thought that was poetry. 

If Newt Gingrich is shit-talking Gaetz, yeah, Gaetz is toast. Newt is not going to side with somebody he thinks will lose, not if he can help it, even if he's as much of a shithead as Gingrich is.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Gatorubet said:

I heard some guy on MSNBC tonight, I did not catch who, talking about the shit show going on with Gaetz. He was talking about Newt Gingrich posting a mean tweet about Gaetz for “making Republicans look bad.”

When talking about newt, the guy said: “Gingrich is the guy who dumped toxins in the body politic for decades, which directly led to the three-eyed Gaetz fish he’s complaining about.”

I thought that was poetry. 

This is the guy

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1