the 2023 speaker of the house voting thread of implosion

henrygandorf

That one vote was a great vote, some would say the greatest vote of all time.  People dream about getting a vote like that, it’s historic.  I gotta tell you, without even trying to get a vote like that is remarkable.  Imagine if we tried we could have gotten dozens of votes.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

2 minutes ago, tx ind said:

That one vote was a great vote, some would say the greatest vote of all time.  People dream about getting a vote like that, it’s historic.  I gotta tell you, without even trying to get a vote like that is remarkable.  Imagine if we tried we could have gotten dozens of votes.

Representatives came up to me with tears in their eyes. “You were so close, Mr President. The vote was so close. You would have been the greatest speaker in history”

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

Some of you are focusing too heavily on that vote, that one vote, that beautiful vote when the real problem was that the House Speaker vote was RIGGED by the Crooked Joe Biden and the Democrats.  In a fair election, I would have received many votes, perhaps all of the votes.

• Haha 3

The "talent" portion of the Speaker of the House pageant on Fox News has been cancelled: https://thehill.com/homenews/house/4242236-televised-fox-news-speaker-forum-called-off-after-candidates-pull-out/

Plans for a televised Fox News forum with three contenders for House Speaker fell apart soon after they were announced.

Host Bret Baier was slated to have House Majority Leader Scalise (R-La.), House Judiciary Committee Chairman Jim Jordan (R-Ohio) and Republican Study Committee Chairman Kevin Hern (R-Okla.) for a Monday event that Fox News billed as a “joint interview” rather than a debate.

But the unusual move — nationalizing an internal GOP conference decision — prompted backlash from GOP members, and changes to the plans

A spokesperson for Jordan first said he wanted to adjust the schedule so that the candidates talk to the GOP conference first. The conference is scheduled to host a closed-door forum Tuesday.

“Mr. Jordan is always happy to share his plan for the country, but he believes it is crucial to meet with the GOP conference before the event,” a spokesperson for the Ohio lawmaker said in a statement first shared with CNN.

Then, Hern publicly pulled out.

“I still haven’t made a decision on my candidacy for speaker, but I know one thing for sure. I will not be participating in the televised debate,” Hern wrote on X, formerly Twitter, hours after the event was announced. “We need to make this decision as a conference, not on TV. The Republican conference needs a family discussion.”

Scalise then also decided to not participate in the scheduled debate, a source confirmed.

Another source familiar with the plans then said the debate was off.

The Hill has reached out to Fox News for comment on the abrupt cancellation.

Baier hosts “Special Report” on Fox News, the network’s 6 p.m. hourlong show. He was one of the moderators of the first Republican presidential debate in August.

• Haha 5

Republicans are the biggest pussies on the planet. 2018, 2020, and 2022 have proven over and over for 3 years that Donald Trump is a loser. He loses. What he backs loses. They're scared to go against a fucking loser. 

When if they would just bite the bullet and get it over with they could easily minimize the impact of the radical jackasses like Gaetz. The thing is if they did it they would keep these shut downs and embarrassing escapades from happening and could go back to flying under the radar and most of them would be re-elected anyway. Sure a few would be primaried but that's going to happen no matter what. 

They're going to let the country be shut down and continue to crumble because they're scared of radical pieces of shit. How funny that America, a country that prides itself on courage and valor, is crumbling because a bunch of Republicans are too pussy to keep their house in order and civilized. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, 'stache said:

My first memory of anything political is seeing Ann Richards speak. Texans used to be more independent politically and fairly straight forward about stuff, as I recall in later years. Now its just Alabama with skyscrapers. I always thought I'd move back to Texas and have zero desire anymore. 

Both you and I have ties to Oklahoma and believe it or not, if I had to choose between OKC and DFW, I might take OKC and that's something I NEVER would have said 10 years ago.  The state politics are basically the same but OKC is cheaper, easier to get around, has some cool neighborhoods now and has a better food scene vs just a few years ago.  Sure, I hate the OKC burbs like Edmond with a angry, black heart but at least it doesn't take an hour to drive anywhere worthwhile there and suburbs are suburbs the world over.

28 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

Republicans are the biggest pussies on the planet. 2018, 2020, and 2022 have proven over and over for 3 years that Donald Trump is a loser. He loses. What he backs loses. They're scared to go against a fucking loser. 

When if they would just bite the bullet and get it over with they could easily minimize the impact of the radical jackasses like Gaetz. The thing is if they did it they would keep these shut downs and embarrassing escapades from happening and could go back to flying under the radar and most of them would be re-elected anyway. Sure a few would be primaried but that's going to happen no matter what. 

They're going to let the country be shut down and continue to crumble because they're scared of radical pieces of shit. How funny that America, a country that prides itself on courage and valor, is crumbling because a bunch of Republicans are too pussy to keep their house in order and civilized. 

Or their “leadership” has been bought off by this country’s enemies and this is exactly what they were paid to do.

15 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Both you and I have ties to Oklahoma and believe it or not, if I had to choose between OKC and DFW, I might take OKC and that's something I NEVER would have said 10 years ago.  The state politics are basically the same but OKC is cheaper, easier to get around, has some cool neighborhoods now and has a better food scene vs just a few years ago.  Sure, I hate the OKC burbs like Edmond with a angry, black heart but at least it doesn't take an hour to drive anywhere worthwhile there and suburbs are suburbs the world over.

I live in DFW and if it weren't for family being close here I could easily live in Tulsa. OKC I could do but would prefer Tulsa. I've thought about that Jenks area if I decided to move. 

2 hours ago, tx ind said:

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

Representatives came up to me with tears in their eyes. “You were so close, Mr President. The vote was so close. You would have been the greatest speaker in history”

1 hour ago, Beau Vine said:

Some of you are focusing too heavily on that vote, that one vote, that beautiful vote when the real problem was that the House Speaker vote was RIGGED by the Crooked Joe Biden and the Democrats.  In a fair election, I would have received many votes, perhaps all of the votes.

All I saw was this the whole time I was reading 

8992E2D8-6D62-4CB6-B529-C2064F69BC90.thumb.gif.71d12e7ff8b6c0634324f5d91120a3d7.gif

3 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Kevin McCarthy is considering resigning from the House before the end of his term, two people familiar with the matter told POLITICO.

The deposed former speaker has made clear he plans to stay at least through the speakership election that begins next week before ending his House career, these people said, in order to help the party steady itself after a seismic shakeup.

In a closed-door meeting with his conference, hours after eight House Republicans united with Democrats to strip him of the gavel, the Californian signaled that he wanted to return home.

“I’m going to spend time with my family,” he said, though the remarks were largely drowned out by lawmakers’ shouting, according to Republicans familiar with the meeting.

“I might have been given a bad break, but I’m still the luckiest man alive,” he told them.

At the same time, some Republicans are reviving his name as a speaker candidate, even as it remains unclear whether he’d accept it.

They argue no one else could get the 218 Republican votes needed to be speaker, they argue, as Rep. Jim Jordan (R-Ohio) and Majority Leader Steve Scalise enter next week’s race as frontrunners that still might not be able to get over the top.

The “only workable outcome is to restore Kevin McCarthy as Speaker under party rules that respect and enforce the right of the majority party to elect him,” Rep. Tom McClintock (R-Calif.) said in a statement on Thursday. “This depends entirely on several of the dissidents to disenthrall themselves from their decision and to repair the damage before it is too late. I appeal to them to act while there is still time.”

McCarthy is still expected to be active in GOP matters, whether he’s in the House or out.

“I’ll do anything I can to help almost all of you. Don’t worry, I’ve raised a helluva lot of money in the last hour,” he told his members during the Tuesday closed-door conference meeting, when he made clear he would not seek the gavel again.

30 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

I like my midtown Tulsa bubble. Much better than OKC, in my opinion. Things are a little denser here, my in laws are in OKC and it seems to take 20 minutes or more to get literally anywhere. If the state's cronies ever follow through on their desire to take over Tulsa Public Schools, I'm gone, probably to D.C. as I figure it's the easiest place for a lawyer to find a job. My wife works for the public schools too and would make twice as much in D.C. (which we'll need to live in the parts of DC that I like).  

Holy shit, Gaetz must have caught him on film with a live boy or dead girl. The dude is pure ambition from everything written, can't see him just deciding to give it all up because a few pubs fucked him over. 

Edited by 'stache

6 minutes ago, 'stache said:

I like my midtown Tulsa bubble. Much better than OKC, in my opinion. Things are a little denser here, my in laws are in OKC and it seems to take 20 minutes or more to get literally anywhere. If the state's cronies ever follow through on their desire to take over Tulsa Public Schools, I'm gone, probably to D.C. as I figure it's the easiest place for a lawyer to find a job. My wife works for the public schools too and would make twice as much in D.C. (which we'll need to live in the parts of DC that I like).  

Tulsa has some damn nice (oil-rich) neighborhoods.  OKC seems like one giant Applebee's.

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Holy shit, Gaetz must have caught him on film with a live boy or dead girl. The dude is pure ambition from everything written, can't see him just deciding to give it all up because a few pubs fucked him over. 

The House is his ceiling unless he wants to run for President.  He's never going to be a Senator or Governor of California.  He's not going to turn his focus to actually doing his job representing his district.  If he's out of the House leadership, it appears he thinks his career in the House might as well be done.

Edited by kevwun
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, kevwun said:

The House is his ceiling unless he wants to run for President.  He's never going to be a Senator or Governor of California.  He's not going to turn his focus to actually doing his job representing his district.  If he's out of the House leadership, it appears he thinks his career in the House might as well be done.

I'm guessing he has a gig lined up on Fox as well.

11 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Tulsa has some damn nice (oil-rich) neighborhoods.  OKC seems like one giant Applebee's.

18 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Midtown Tulsa is solid.  Tulsa is just too small for me but if I had to, Midtown/Utica Square would be it.

Central OKC has some good neighborhoods, actually.  Midtown (original, I know), Bricktown, Heritage Hills, Nichols Hills are all good but yes, the rest of the OKC metro area is a giant strip mall with chain restaurants.

3 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Midtown Tulsa is solid.  Tulsa is just too small for me but if I had to, Midtown/Utica Square would be it.

Central OKC has some good neighborhoods, actually.  Midtown (original, I know), Bricktown, Heritage Hills, Nichols Hills are all good but yes, the rest of the OKC metro area is a giant strip mall with chain restaurants.

Cosign on the above.

The problem is maxing out compensation. Harder to do in OKC/Tulsa except in niches (I think you mentioned O&G, being one, probably Aerospace too) and just generally easy to make more money in Texas due to more opportunities and more money circulating around.

Edited by BeardIP

29 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

the rest of the OKC metro area is a giant strip mall with chain restaurants.

Problem solved for me. I live in the Classen Curve area and just choose not to go more than a few miles from my house. Have everything I need and lots of pretty cool things to do.

Fuck the suburban hellscape.

3 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Millions of places to live on this earth and you choose Oklahoma. Take a lap, Chief.

Not to hijack this thread any longer, but I am only back temporarily for family reasons. Though next time I move I’m picking some place other than Florida (my last state).  Assuming it will still be a MAGA wasteland at that point. Maybe go expat this time.

1 hour ago, 'stache said:

His ambition is over. He’s seen the top of his mountain. Now he can go make more money in some bullshit lobbying job

1 hour ago, Rimbo said:

Do It Episode 3 GIF by Star Wars

do it jewish GIF

Y’all gotta understand that a Jeffries speakership is a great outcome for a big chunk of the House GOP.  They are entirely uninterested in governing and their entire platform is simply permanent opposition and victimhood.  This is taken straight from the Trump guidebook, he spent four years in office talking about how awful and unfair he was treated in an election he WON. 

They have to have a wound to scream over and if they can’t create a convincing fake one, they’ll create a real one.  Many, many GOP members want nothing more than the chance to scream about how they won an election but the Democrats get the speakership because of unfairness and if they need to, they’ll help make that outcome a reality. 

• Hook 'Em 6