the 2023 speaker of the house voting thread of implosion

henrygandorf

12 minutes ago, The Dog said:

There could not be a more perfect encapsulation of the utterly broken-brained nature of the GQP.  The "most popular Republican in Congress"....did not get popular support.  He's Schroedinger's Fuckhead: both overwhelmingly popular yet unable to win votes at the same time.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 3
  • Drool 1

Just now, Dbeasy said:

image.gif.3849ab1bd5a4b54322fdde9262e99543.gif

I have never been so happy to be wrong as when I predicted Jordan as speaker after McCarthy got canned. 

Psssst....remember this timeline.

Somehow, someway, we're going to end up with a result that's even worse.  I don't know how yet.  I'm looking forward to the surprise.

• Rage+1 1

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

There could not be a more perfect encapsulation of the utterly broken-brained nature of the GQP.  The "most popular Republican in Congress"....did not get popular support.  He's Schroedinger's Fuckhead: both overwhelmingly popular yet unable to win votes at the same time.

He was talking about popularity among the public. I mean, no one is going to take the trouble to threaten the life of someone's wife over Tom Emmer amiright?

• Hook 'Em 2

obviously it's not good for functional government but it would be deeply hilarious completely on brand for the GQP if McCarthy won speaker again and two weeks later they removed him for a second time

It would be galactically stupid and a complete waste of time, which is why I fully expect this exact scenario to transpire. 

Edited by Blotto
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

if i could get on my soapbox for a sec, this drives me crazy.

you're either one of the most popular, or you're arguably the most popular.  they mean the same thing.  it means you're in the conversation for being the most popular.  you cannot be arguably one of the most popular.  using both makes her sound like an idiot.  which she is.

usually this is a sports thing, "he's arguably one of the best closers in the league."  so does that mean he's in the conversation to potentially be one of the best, but we don't know if he's actually one the best?  so like top 8-10 or so?  shut the fuck up, smoltz.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Pig Bellmont said:

This is the result of zero sum politics. GOP won’t abide ANY compromise with Dems so there’s been zero effort to offer them anything of substance in exchange for being able to function. And since they can’t get their own conference in line - they’d rather just embarrass themselves over and over and over

It should be obvious to even the most casual observer that Republicans are beyond being embarrassed about anything.

• Hook 'Em 5

35 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

I am not sure who Katherine Clark is but I think I just fell and love.  And ... would.

terrell owens images GIF

That's my Representative. My Representative.

No seriously, she really is. She is awesome. Was Assistant Speaker under Pelosi and is the current minority whip.

• Hook 'Em 3

12 hours ago, hayden_horn said:

here is what i don't understand.  first thing, I'm sorry to everyone but im high af and I'm going to use some lazy ass gender innapropriate terms in this here post. i hope yall know I'm an ally but right now my vocabulary is limited. 

but here is what i don't get. why is Jim Jordan such a bitch?

like, why is he such a whiny ass bitch?

you know he knows he ain't got the votes. he ain't got em and he ain't gonna get em. so why the fuck is he such a bitch? everyone knows if you don't got the votes you don't go.  you get real humble for awhile, you don't want that shit job anyways, what crazy fucker would, and bow out and refuse and do  some scraping shit with the bowing. you sure ass fuck DO NOT send people after the spouses of your enemies like it's the goddamn byzantine empire and shit.

maintain some fucking dignity. be a fucking man.

christ fucking wept

This is the man that invited me join shaggy. I am honored (and angry about the meat Co., but that's a whole other thing.) 

• Hook 'Em 1

36 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Christ, now CNN is interviewing batshit crazy Anna Paulina Luna.

Jesus

It was one of the dumbest things I've ever seen. And I've been awake a few times in the last five years. CNN should just go ahead and become a pro wrestling channel. 

5 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

NBA guys weren’t really that rich back then.  They all worked at each others camps in the summer.  This was Rolando Blackman and Derek Harpers camp.    I don’t recall what my mom paid for me to go, but it wasn’t very expensive.  Maybe $100-200 for 3 or 4 days.  Probably 2X what it would’ve cost to send me to daycare, and a whole lot cooler.  Watching Spud, Clyde, and Nique have an impromptu dunk contest in a middle school gym is a fond memory.

They use it as a write off. The cash fee goes to their foundation, run by a friend or family member who gets paid to run it, then deduct the appearance fee as a donation,reducing their tax bill just to hang out with kids at the gym, which can be fun. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, Chuckie Finster said:

The real gavel is the friends we made along the way.

Translation: for a long time, I was able to pretend that people liked me because I purposefully avoided interacting with them.  But once I talked to them....I found out that they think I'm a loathsome toad.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Man that camp sounded great. I wanted to go to that but I didn't play basketball, so my Grandma signed me up for the Herschel Walker football camp. I ended up missing it, but years later I met a guy who went, and he told me that football camp with Herschel Walker was like being coached by Mitch Hedberg.

I would go to that shit daily. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Most popular representative in America!*
*as determined by poll of 50 white males at least 50 years of age and living in rural Ohio. **

How many 50 YO white males in Ohio would one have to poll to find 50 that weren't molested by Jim Jordan's co-workers at Ohio State?

• Haha 1

To me the entire 118th House of Representatives have ceased to operate and thereby have decided to remove themselves from power.

im ok letting the senate introduce, pass bills and letting Biden sign them into law without the House. The House can rejoin once they decide to act like adults.

The downside with this idea is it ruins the schoolhouse rock song.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

To me the entire 118th House of Representatives have ceased to operate and thereby have decided to remove themselves from power.

im ok letting the senate introduce, pass bills and letting Biden sign them into law without the House. The House can rejoin once they decide to act like adults.

The downside with this idea is it ruins the schoolhouse rock song.

And also that funding bills cannot originate in the Senate :(

They gave the purse strings to the dysfunctional assholes. 

Too bad Biden can't dissolve the House and we have 435 new snap elections

Edited by Js1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Js1 said:

List of who is now running (so far) when we return next week to the Shit Show in DC:

Tom Emmer
Bryon Donalds
Austin Scott
Jack Bergman
Kevin Hern
Mike Johnson
Mark Green

@THUJONE can we get a prevail and ride style "Murderers Row" of this lineup + McHenry?

Also Roger Williams is maybe running too

Edited by Bozo_Casanova