the 2023 speaker of the house voting thread of implosion

henrygandorf

Frankly if the Democrats wanted to maximize their chances of getting anything done this term they might want to take Amash up on it. He would allow them to amend bills and introduce legislation like in a state lege. 

It would be total madness and chaos though. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Anastasis said:

They should just lock the full House into the chambers and pump aerosolized micro dosed LSD in until they can come to a resolution. 

And stream the whole thing on CSPAN, of course. 

"Ladies and gentlemen of the United States House of Representatives, it is my distinct honor to announce Speaker Trey Anastasio!"  

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

8 minutes ago, tchookem said:

They're gonna do it, aren't they. They're gonna make Jim Jordan Speaker of the House tomorrow... on Jan 6th.

The Matrix is gonna fucking do it.

I keep thinking that the next day the Republicans will come back having come up with something. Starting to lose faith in them.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

It’s been funny watching the republicans, but we should all start getting a little nervous. As the Democrat on CNN is pointing out, with the HFC now in the middle of every major decision, the country will default on its debt and a shit show will ensue. These HFC people are very dumb. 

Yes they are.  And while a decent amount of similar minded people elected them, most other non-MAGA voters have no use for the laundry list that sloth toes Marge was complaining about ….about not being able to pursue that agenda if Mccarthy is not speaker.  

EE313D2F-10F7-450E-8D52-2EB7985422A7.thumb.jpeg.6654d22de659aa2ed7e29da1ba1108ac.jpeg

Folks are concerned about inflation, not the ‘Biden crime family’.  Folks  want decent access to medical care, not an investigation into the evils of Covid vaccines. People care about global warming and climate change, not dong pictures on Hunter Biden‘s laptop.  Only the most stupid people do. And while I agree they will bang the drum of stupidity as loud as possible if McCarthy lets them, I do not think that is going to help the GOP in the 2024 election, or erase the millennial problem.    

I think I heard that there are 18 new GOP representatives in districts that Biden won. Seeing Boebert and Marge and the other embarrassing GOP trolls ignore the nation’s problems while they focus on the GQP rabbit hole theories will not help the GOP generally, and certainly won’t help those 18.

Edited by Gatorubet
added reference
  • Hook 'Em 2

I'd like to think the electorate would be wise to the GQP trying to pin the House dysfunction real-world consequences on the Biden presidency, but then I realized I put the words electorate and wise together.  FNC will pin the economic chaos that's about to ensue on Biden and MAGA and other standard issue stupids are going to parrot it to anyone that will listen on Facebook.

This McCarthy problem is going to become Biden's in time.

Edited by Old Freak Nasty
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Old Freak Nasty said:

I'd like to think the electorate would be wise to the GQP trying to pin the House dysfunction real-world consequences on the Biden presidency, but then I realized I put the words electorate and wise together.  FNC will pin the economic chaos that's about to ensue on Biden and MAGA and other standard issue stupids are going to parrot it to anyone that will listen on Facebook.

Naw. I'm starting to really think people are sick and tired of the bullshit. The electorate had its chance to be collectively stupid in November but many unexpected instances of wisdom occurred instead.

Defaulting on our debt is going to suck, but I think we can pick ourselves up off the mat.

1 hour ago, Old Freak Nasty said:

One of the things that really bothers me about the Democrats is they are horrible about messaging. They should be getting in front of this on every social media platform on every news platform throwing out the message that this dysfunction is 100% the Republican Party.

Warning the American people that if republicans can't even function with themselves they could potentially stop down the government to the point where social security checks stop going out, Medicare and Medicaid stop being taken, disability stops being paid, and all sorts of other things. I don't know all the consequences of a long-term government shutdown but that should be communicated and made clear that it's the republicans who are to blame for this. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Hermanator said:

One of the things that really bothers me about the Democrats is they are horrible about messaging. They should be getting in front of this on every social media platform on every news platform throwing out the message that this dysfunction is 100% the Republican Party.

Outside the media pundits and the very online politically engaged, nobody really fucking cares about this shit as they go about their day to day. 

3 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Outside the media pundits and the very online politically engaged, nobody really fucking cares about this shit as they go about their day to day. 

They will care once their money stops coming in and their benefits aren't there. And when that happens they're going to look for somebody to blame so it'll be nice if the messaging was already put out there for months once they go searching on Google that  the republicans did it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

If ballot totals 222 and 212 are traveling towards the ballot total 218 from opposite directions.  Which ballot total should get there first and why?

Lauren Boebert couldn’t figure this very challenging word problem.  But she’ll soon be on Ways & Means.  ‘Cause fuck maths, fuck the party, and fuck America!   

to be fair Santos got the answer right. But we found out he cheated off of a neighbor. 

8 hours ago, Pig Bellmont said:

The 20 are not negotiating in good faith. They don’t want to compromise with him. It’s all about power and they will flex until McCarthy withdraws 

8 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

While the 20 Republicans are definitely holding the House hostage, the problem is with McCarthy. To be the Speaker, you're supposed to be able to wrangle a majority which he has now failed 10 times to just name his as Speaker. 

12 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Surely, there's got to be some online betting odds for this fiasco. What are the degenerate gamblers saying?

McCarthy doesn't understand a very simple fact, and this would make it hard for the bookies:  These HCF fucks are enjoying the shit out of this. They've never gotten this much attention (that didn't involve Venmo transactions).  This is their wet dream times a hundred.  They have actual power.

They can keep asking for more and more because the rest of the Republicans in the House won't cross the aisle or try to find a moderate Republican speaker that the Dems could back. They thought they were getting just three wishes out of the lamp, but just discovered the jinni is willing to give them a shitload more, so they can keep making demands, up to and including McCarthy giving up, and the rest of the GOP can't do shit unless they huddle with the Dems.

And these HCF fucks, they've hit their ceiling.  They'll never be a VP or Presidential candidate, nor will they be invited to join any future Cabinets. This is it for them, this is their Super Bowl, and By Gawd they aren't going to let those fucking RINOs take that away from them!  They are burning their bridges and their relationships with other Republicans and they give no fucks, because they were not going much farther in their careers anyways.

Boebert is practically creaming her panties every time she gets up in front of the media, whether it's Sean Hannity on Fox News or Stephanie Ruhle on Librool MSNBC. She's gleeful about all of this, you can see it in her eyes.

• Hook 'Em 6

13 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

McCarthy doesn't understand a very simple fact, and this would make it hard for the bookies:  These HCF fucks are enjoying the shit out of this. They've never gotten this much attention (that didn't involve Venmo transactions).  This is their wet dream times a hundred.  They have actual power.

They can keep asking for more and more because the rest of the Republicans in the House won't cross the aisle or try to find a moderate Republican speaker that the Dems could back. They thought they were getting just three wishes out of the lamp, but just discovered the jinni is willing to give them a shitload more, so they can keep making demands, up to and including McCarthy giving up, and the rest of the GOP can't do shit unless they huddle with the Dems.

It really has come down to a test of will between those 20 cranks and one Kevin McCarthy (plus his closest allies). Really the question is who caves first.

And these HCF fucks, they've hit their ceiling.  They'll never be a VP or Presidential candidate, nor will they be invited to join any future Cabinets. This is it for them, this is their Super Bowl, and By Gawd they aren't going to let those fucking RINOs take that away from them!  They are burning their bridges and their relationships with other Republicans and they give no fucks, because they were not going much farther in their careers anyways.

Boebert is practically creaming her panties every time she gets up in front of the media, whether it's Sean Hannity on Fox News or Stephanie Ruhle on Librool MSNBC. She's gleeful about all of this, you can see it in her eyes.

I'm not sure if that's the case. If the 20 loonies eventually win out, then they are assured of playing the kingmaker's role from here on out, assuring that the Republican caucus chooses an even more "conservative" (air bunnies because what they want really is not) leader to their liking. They will have conquered the rest, who will then have to acquiesce to all their future radical demands for anything to happen. If their test of will wins out, they're the future leadership...until or unless more some sane Republicans start to make some backroom deals to work with moderate Dems to find a candidate who can draw at least a smidgeon of bipartisan support.

The way I see it, the most likely way out of this morass is if McCarthy bows out. He apparently has nothing left to offer for the most hardcore 5-6 "never Kevins." Someone else in their conference is going to have to stand up and compromise with either the fanatical fascists, or go the other way, and work with any bipartisan pragmatists among the Democrats to find someone who's palatable. Of course, those among them who do may also become ostracized from their own so-far solid 212 bloc.

• Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

So, I read this morning that if this isn’t resolved by next Friday all the staffers stop getting paid. @Bateshorn is that correct? 

The GOP is gleeful when feds miss paychecks, are they going to be willing to screw their own staff that way (yes)?

Pardon me. Would you happen to have any Grey Poupon?

6 hours ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Oh the horrors.

The key to understanding this MTG post is— it’s not for you. This is really effective wordplay and messaging and we see the results of it in today’s GOP. 

MTG could just say “the Democrats are trying to get the votes to install their own speaker,” but that frames the potential outcome as legitimate, if unwelcome. “Plotting” is a different atmospheric entirely, it insinuates that if it happened it would have been the result of sinister, at the very least unethical, non-democratic processes. 

This is part of a long-standing and effective right-wing campaign to frame anything the Democrats do as illegitimate and perhaps illegal. The goal is to convince Republican voters that ordinarily democratic procedures and outcomes are illegitimate and that in fact, anything in opposition to the GOP agenda is illegitimate and potentially illegal.  And it’s been a madly successful psyop on their own voters and almost the entire GOP and right wing ecosystem is participating to varying degrees. 

The ultimate goal is one-party rule and it can happen because the Democrats still do not take what they’re doing seriously enough. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 4

2 hours ago, Anastasis said:

In general this is true.  But as razor thin as some elections are, that decide the power in government, any little thing helps.  Is this GOP shitshow gonna swing 4% of swing voters? Of course not, but every 0.02% lift helps.   From a spend standpoint, this is at least as effective as a 5M ad spend. 

52 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Someone else in their conference is going to have to stand up and compromise with either the fanatical fascists, or go the other way, and work with any bipartisan pragmatists among the Democrats to find someone who's palatable. Of course, those among them who do may also become ostracized from their own so-far solid 212 bloc.

They aren't going to compromise at this point.  They either get 100% of what they want, the committees they want, control of those committees, or to paraphrase Gaetz, Jeffries can be Speaker.

1 hour ago, tx 3 putt said:

This is the opportunity for a true R leader to step up and cut a deal with the Dems. 100% cutting out maga for the next 2 years 

This is a true fork in the road for the republicans. They can only take 1 of 2 paths forward. 1) realize they fucked up embracing Trump and their problems today come from that so they have to work with Democrats to ice out the Maga's or 2) keep sliding further into the Maga abyss and completely acquiesce to their demands to run the show. 

Of course since these are the same spineless evil fucks that condoned and aided Trump in attempting to overthrow the election they're going to choose 2. They would rather risk their careers by being the party that shuts down the government for 2 years than risk their careers by being the ones to finally tell Maga to fuck off. 

Makes little sense that McCarthy has made concessions this week but the vote total has stayed the same. You don’t give into a demand but get nothing in return.

The reality is that the GOP doesn’t have a majority the House. Yes there is a majority of people that ran with GOP next to their name but that doesn’t make them a party. They’ve also chased away any true leadership in their ranks since 2016.

• Like 1

This morning's Politico update.  McCarthy's supporters are starting to have doubts:

https://www.politico.com/newsletters/playbook/2023/01/06/unrest-swells-among-mccarthys-backers-00076717?nname=playbook&nid=0000014f-1646-d88f-a1cf-5f46b7bd0000&nrid=0000014e-f0fd-dd93-ad7f-f8fde5bf0000&nlid=630318

Around Christmas, Texas Republican Rep. ROGER WILLIAMS’ wife suffered a medical emergency. This week, as she underwent treatment, her husband was eager to be by her side.

Instead, he has been stuck in Washington taking failed vote after failed vote in KEVIN McCARTHY’s quest to become speaker.

“This is killing him,” one of Williams’ GOP lawmaker friends told us late Thursday night. “I’ve never seen Roger as down as he was yesterday.”

Williams isn’t alone. On Thursday, Rep. KEN BUCK (R-Colo.) felt ill; his colleagues had to convince him it was OK to duck out of the speakership drama and go home for rest. Rep.-elect WESLEY HUNT (R-Texas) is eager to return to Texas after his wife gave birth this week. Rep. KEVIN HERN’s (R-Okla.) mother died this week; he wants to attend her funeral on Saturday.

“There’s a lot more at stake than whether Kevin McCarthy’s going to be able to get the gavel,” the aforementioned GOP lawmaker told us. “We’ve got lives that are being impacted right now, and this is tough for people.”

There’s been wall-to-wall coverage of the 20 anti-McCarthy rebels. But as the GOP leader faces down what will likely be his 12th failed bid for the gavel today, the story is about to shift to McCarthy’s increasingly tenuous support network.

Now, days into this protracted speakership standoff, with little to show for the mountain of concessions McCarthy has given conservatives, some of those supporting his bid are privately getting frustrated — and think he might need to consider calling it quits.

Yesterday, as McCarthy continued to try to land a deal with his critics, we spoke to a bunch of Republicans on background in the Capitol. We consistently heard four main issues fueling the growing frustration among McCarthy’s supporters:

Spoiler

1. Changes to rules and policy:Some members are privately angry that McCarthy is empowering hard-liners with rules changes to the point that they worry it will be difficult, if not impossible, to govern. There’s also concern about policy commitments he’s considering for the far right, including a vote on steep budget cuts that defense hawks will never swallow.

2. Committee deal-sweeteners:Many Republicans are fed up with his apparent willingness to hand plum committee posts to his detractors — especially, talk of possibly awarding them gavels. Some senior members have “forcefully” warned McCarthy not to go there, as our colleague Sarah Ferris scooped on Thursday evening. In fact, late last night, we heard a group of Appropriations cardinals huddled in a room off the House floor with panel Chair KAY GRANGER (R-Texas), pressing her about whether McCarthy would truly allow someone like Rep. ANDY HARRIS (R-Md.) to lead the Labor-HHS subcommittee.

“That’s not going to happen,” Granger assured them, arguing that Harris, a McCarthy foe, would need to earn his way up the ladder, just as they all had. We’re told McCarthy’s staff later assured some of these folks that he won’t be handing out gavels to his detractors. But whether that’s enough to hold his coalition intact for much longer is yet to be determined.

3. The lack of a clear path to victory: A third group just wants to know whether there is still a path for McCarthy to succeed, because after three long days, hours of negotiations and round after round of failed votes, they don’t see it.

4. The human factor: Some, like the members mentioned above, are facing personal and familial struggles as they’re trapped in Washington indefinitely since McCarthy needs every last one of their votes due to the GOP’s narrow majority.

TODAY: A PUSH FOR CLARITY — On Thursday, Rep. ANN WAGNER, a Missouri Republican known for her candor, told McCarthy he owes his members an explanation about what’s going on, voicing frustrations many are feeling. We caught up with her late last night just off the House floor, and she told us that she presented the GOP leader with the names of more than 80 Republicans who agreed with her and demanded a conference meeting.

McCarthy only partially relented: He agreed to host a conference call this morning, on which he’ll walk through the state-of-play on his negotiations with his detractors.

“That’s a bit cowardly, if you ask me,” Wagner said of his decision to do a call instead of facing his conference face-to-face. “We are all human beings,” she continued, arguing that keeping members in Washington day after day without showing progress is not sustainable.

Meanwhile, senior Republicans are increasingly whispering that if McCarthy can’t wrap this up soon, he needs to step aside and let someone else try. (On Thursday, we spoke to one top Republican backing him who is thinking of confronting McCarthy himself on this topic.)

Adding to the exasperation is that McCarthy’s latest concessions to conservatives that we reported on Thursday morning have not yet yielded McCarthy any new support. Negotiations continue, and even if a deal is finalized today, the subsequent vote will be a make-or-break moment.

“He needs to move several people from the ‘no’ column so he can keep the temperature down with the members who are becoming, as you well know, very impatient,” one lawmaker said. “There is a limit to how much of this crap we can take.”

A number of McCarthy backers now think he is prolonging the inevitable: another failed speakership bid. Even if he flips a dozen or so holdouts, they worry, there seems to be a large enough bloc of members who will never back him. “This is no more about process or about substance; for some of them, it’s about, ‘We want Kevin McCarthy’s scalp,’” the above lawmaker told us.

For his part, McCarthy has put on a positive face. As he left the floor Thursday night, he told reporters that he was making progress and wasn’t tied to any particular timeline.

But that may no longer be his call. His members may put him on one, whether he likes it or not.

6 hours ago, mchookem said:

Avengers: Endgame' Lacks After Credits Scenes (Kind Of)

I think that I generally give in a similar measure as to how I receive it. I might think that long time and very attentive hall monitors like DDD would pick that up. But that might be asking too much. 

Anyways, back to topic. Today has to be the day, right. 

7 hours ago, Hermanator said:

Warning the American people that if republicans can't even function with themselves they could potentially stop down the government to the point where social security checks stop going out, Medicare and Medicaid stop being taken, disability stops being paid, and all sorts of other things. I don't know all the consequences of a long-term government shutdown but that should be communicated and made clear that it's the republicans who are to blame for this. 

To whom are they supposed to be messaging? It’s on the news. It’s probably not on Fox News and their viewers aren’t following any Dems on Facebook or Twitter. You can’t penetrate the right-wing bubble. Those people are living in their echo chamber impervious to messages from the outside they don’t want to hear.

Jeffries on Monday:

Jeffries yesterday:

It’s obvious that this is 100% on the Republican Party. They themselves admit that. Hakeem pointed that out in a longer version of yesterday’s remarks that I saw on the news this morning. They themselves are calling it an embarrassment.

The message is there but if Fox News isn’t carrying it then the people who get all their news from Fox aren’t hearing it. Those of us in the reality based community know what’s going on. We can see it with our own eyes. We don’t need a message. The people who need to hear it don’t want to hear it and take steps to avoid it.

I agree that the Democrats aren’t as good at messaging as the Republicans and they should do better. I don’t think this is one of those times. I think the Republicans are doing a good enough job on their own of sending the message about their own dysfunction and the Democrats are handling it as well as can be expected. They’re saying they’re ready to get to work as soon as the Republicans stop backstabbing each other and get their shit together. Then they’re grabbing their popcorn, sitting back, and watching the spectacle. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

To whom are they supposed to be messaging? It’s on the news. It’s probably not on Fox News and their viewers aren’t following any Dems on Facebook or Twitter. You can’t penetrate the right-wing bubble. Those people are living in their echo chamber impervious to messages from the outside they don’t want to hear.

Jeffries on Monday:

Jeffries yesterday:

It’s obvious that this is 100% on the Republican Party. They themselves admit that. Hakeem pointed that out in a longer version of yesterday’s remarks that I saw on the news this morning. They themselves are calling it an embarrassment.

The message is there but if Fox News isn’t carrying it then the people who get all their news from Fox aren’t hearing it. Those of us in the reality based community know what’s going on. We can see it with our own eyes. We don’t need a message. The people who need to hear it don’t want to hear it and take steps to avoid it.

I agree that the Democrats aren’t as good at messaging as the Republicans and they should do better. I don’t think this is one of those times. I think the Republicans are doing a good enough job on their own of sending the message about their own dysfunction and the Democrats are handling it as well as can be expected. They’re saying they’re ready to get to work as soon as the Republicans stop backstabbing each other and get their shit together. Then they’re grabbing their popcorn, sitting back, and watching the spectacle. 

Dems really need their version of morning talk radio that’s just covers politics but it will never happen. The Rs got crazies in every city talking about how mad Democrats are etc.

they do a decent job in the podcast but doesn’t touch the R machine 

they have npr (not the same as the rush/Fox  of the world)

To add, every Dem member should be on TV talking about the republicans on every station they can get on and shit on the Rs. They need to get ahead. Every member should be having the same message online and in person when talking to the camera. Every D next to their name should be tweeting/fb/insta what the republicans are doing, same message. 

Edited by Gengs1