the 2023 speaker of the house voting thread of implosion

henrygandorf

6 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

So, I read this morning that if this isn’t resolved by next Friday all the staffers stop getting paid. @Bateshorn is that correct? 

The GOP is gleeful when feds miss paychecks, are they going to be willing to screw their own staff that way (yes)?

I can’t figure out if it’s all staffers, but definitely the Committee staff will not get paid.  It stands to reason that if they aren’t sworn in, they don’t have access to the MRA tho, so I would think it’s all staff (excepting the non political staff)

Edited by Bateshorn

11 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

I can’t figure out if it’s all staffers, but definitely the Committee staff will not get paid.  It stands to reason that if they aren’t sworn in, they don’t have access to the MRA tho, so I would think it’s all staff (excepting the non political staff)

I read it’s committee staff, not all staff. Member-elect staff will still get paid 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Hermanator said:

This is a true fork in the road for the republicans. They can only take 1 of 2 paths forward. 1) realize they fucked up embracing Trump and their problems today come from that so they have to work with Democrats to ice out the Maga's or 2) keep sliding further into the Maga abyss and completely acquiesce to their demands to run the show. 

Of course since these are the same spineless evil fucks that condoned and aided Trump in attempting to overthrow the election they're going to choose 2. They would rather risk their careers by being the party that shuts down the government for 2 years than risk their careers by being the ones to finally tell Maga to fuck off. 

They are chickenshit they will get primaried.  Or at least a large enough percentage of them are.  It’s this huge catch 22.  Many of the non HFC republicans are more likely to win the general than the primary and they can’t get to the general without winning the primary.  And the crazies do one thing well - vote in primaries.  

So stand up now and show your whole district you are a moderate but give the MAGAs, who will put up a Cawthorn/Boebert type, the opportunity  to primary you as a “traitor”.   

Edited by A-Tex Devil
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, berlinerbaer said:

Defaulting on our debt is going to suck, but I think we can pick ourselves up off the mat.

I keep hearing this, and here’s what I think it means:

I think we all know people who made a terrible choice and paid a high price. Take someone who drives drunk regularly, and eventually causes a crash, with permanent injuries to themselves and others. 
They too, pick themselves off the mat. They put together some new life. But things  will never be as they were before, and they spend the rest of their lives wracked with guilt and longing to go back to how things were.

That’s what a debt default will be like. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3
  • Rage+1 2

8 minutes ago, Gengs1 said:

Dems really need their version of morning talk radio that’s just covers politics but it will never happen. The Rs got crazies in every city talking about how mad Democrats are etc.

they do a decent job in the podcast but doesn’t touch the R machine 

they have npr (not the same as the rush/Fox  of the world)

To add, every Dem member should be on TV talking about the republicans on every station they can get on and shit on the Rs. They need to get ahead. Every member should be having the same message online and in person when talking to the camera. Every D next to their name should be tweeting/fb/insta what the republicans are doing, same message. 

What difference does it make to people who have their TVs tuned to Fox News 24/7? They’re not watching Morning Joe. That’s fairly close to morning talk radio that just covers politics from a liberal point of view. Joe’s a former Republican. Former RNC chair Michael Steele is a frequent guest. Deadline White House hosted by former Republican (from the GWB White House, no less) Nicole Wallace is on from 4-6pm. I don’t know if those shows are simulcast on SiriusXM radio. Sure, it would be nice if those shows were on Fox News, but they’re not, and Fox News viewers will never see them. If they do, they’ll begin with the assumption that everything they’re hearing is a purely partisan lie.

Remember Current TV, the news network started by Al Gore? That didn’t succeed. Maybe the Dems do need their version of morning talk radio that just covers politics. But who are they trying to reach that they’re not already reaching, what are the chances that they’ll reach those people, and that the venture will succeed? It’s easier said than done. Before any attempt at messaging can succeed, you need an audience that’s receptive to the message. It doesn’t matter how loud your megaphone is when those in the audience have their heads buried in the sand. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

What difference does it make to people who have their TVs tuned to Fox News 24/7? They’re not watching Morning Joe. That’s fairly close to morning talk radio that just covers politics from a liberal point of view. Joe’s a former Republican. Former RNC chair Michael Steele is a frequent guest. Deadline White House hosted by former Republican (from the GWB White House, no less) Nicole Wallace is on from 4-6pm. I don’t know if those shows are simulcast on SiriusXM radio. Sure, it would be nice if those shows were on Fox News, but they’re not, and Fox News viewers will never see them. If they do, they’ll begin with the assumption that everything they’re hearing is a purely partisan lie.

Remember Current TV, the news network started by Al Gore? That didn’t succeed. Maybe the Dems do need their version of morning talk radio that just covers politics. But who are they trying to reach that they’re not already reaching, what are the chances that they’ll reach those people, and that the venture will succeed? It’s easier said than done. Before any attempt at messaging can succeed, you need an audience that’s receptive to the message. It doesn’t matter how loud your megaphone is when those in the audience have their heads buried in the sand. 

Morning Joe, Deadline Whitehouse, and Andrea Mitchell Reports are my three news shows I tape.  When you look at the quality of diversity of the guests (it would be more diverse if Republicans were not terrified of questions) and the level of intelligent discourse there is simply nothing remotely like it on Fox.  

12 minutes ago, horn4life said:

Morning Joe, Deadline Whitehouse, and Andrea Mitchell Reports are my three news shows I tape.  When you look at the quality of diversity of the guests (it would be more diverse if Republicans were not terrified of questions) and the level of intelligent discourse there is simply nothing remotely like it on Fox.  

Reaction GIF by The Weather Channel

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Oh the horrors.

"Lock Her Up!" Party representative who used her platform to falsely accuse Antifa for Jan 6, who is free and hasn't been publicly identified as a subject of investigation despite seeking a pardon after Jan 6, decries the weaponization of the Department that publicly announced it was re-opening an investigation into Hillary 11 days before the 2016 election based on copies of e-mails they later admitted they had already covered, while keeping the public in the dark that Trump was under investigation.

Up is down. Black is white. GQP is a perpetual victim of injustice.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

What are you, 78?

I kid you not my Dad (RiP) had a tv setup that consisted of 3 VCRs set up (by someone else) to record Face the Nation, the Charlie Rose Show, and one other, I don’t recall.  You couldn’t watch tv at their house for risk of fucking up the recording schedule.  It was comical the A/V setup he had.

• Hook 'Em 1

Liberal or even moderate radio doesn't really work by itself. Radio has to be entertaining and the Right radio entertains by getting people mad at the other side. Usually by lies or shallow takes.

Now that so many white collar workers are work-from-home, that could be changing radio influence with them. Gives rise to more youtube or podcast episodes.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

It amuses me that McCarthy gave something substantial to MTG with the expectation that she could deliver the batshit wing of the party. Last term she had no committee assignment whatsoever because she's a straight up true believer Q nut. Sold his soul and got jack shit in return.  Reap it, McCarthy, you asshole loser. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Bojack said:

It amuses me that McCarthy gave something substantial to MTG with the expectation that she could deliver the batshit wing of the party. Last term she had no committee assignment whatsoever because she's a straight up true believer Q nut. Sold his soul and got jack shit in return.  Reap it, McCarthy, you asshole loser. 

At the same time, it's kinda admirable that ole' Marge is hanging tough with McCarthy, despite being a dead end.  I mean, she did this to gin up some sort of veneer of respectability, and it's backfired on her in ways she cannot contemplate.

She's just as batshit, if not more, than the 20 anti-Kevin folks, but her screaming look at me trying to defend him and call them out for their dumbassery is just splendid.

• Hook 'Em 3

28 minutes ago, Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand said:

"Lock Her Up!" Party representative who used her platform to falsely accuse Antifa for Jan 6, who is free and hasn't been publicly identified as a subject of investigation despite seeking a pardon after Jan 6, decries the weaponization of the Department that publicly announced it was re-opening an investigation into Hillary 11 days before the 2016 election based on copies of e-mails they later admitted they had already covered, while keeping the public in the dark that Trump was under investigation.

Up is down. Black is white. GQP is a perpetual victim of injustice.

Don’t forget, she’s also been seen stalking and harassing a young survivor of a school shooting, has subscribed to the QAnon conspiracy theory, and believes California wildfires were started by Jewish space lasers. 

4 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

I mean, she did this to gin up some sort of veneer of respectability, and it's backfired on her in ways she cannot contemplate.

I don’t think she was looking for respect. I think she was just looking for power and hitched her carriage to the wrong horse. 

7 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

At the same time, it's kinda admirable that ole' Marge is hanging tough with McCarthy, despite being a dead end.  I mean, she did this to gin up some sort of veneer of respectability, and it's backfired on her in ways she cannot contemplate.

She's just as batshit, if not more, than the 20 anti-Kevin folks, but her screaming look at me trying to defend him and call them out for their dumbassery is just splendid.

"Can't we be rational for a moment?"

Just now, WhatTheBuck said:

I don’t think she was looking for respect. I think she was just looking for power and hitched her carriage to the wrong horse. 

Well, er...maybe respect is the wrong word.  Acceptance (?) with the mainstream GOP had to have been a goal here; because the very things (chortles) that McCarthy represents Marge was never going to get being Marge.  She needs some sort of stamp of approval from something other than Fox, Bannon, Trump and the rest of the hee-haw gang in her district that voted her in.

13 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

It's a blueprint even for someone like George Santos Halper. Someone was wondering who in the hell would take a job on Santos's staff and I say that's a golden opportunity for a job that wouldn't be very difficult. If I were to take such a post, first thing I'd say to him would be something like, "Never mind all the lying. You're here now. Lean all the way into the crazy and next term party leadership will be sucking your dick and giving you everything you want. You have the most important qualification for success in the modern Republican Party which is a complete lack of shame."

Edited by Bojack
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

Just now, Bojack said:

It's a blueprint even for someone like George Santos Halper. Someone was wondering who in the hell would take a job on Santos's staff and I say that's a golden opportunity for a job that wouldn't be very difficult. If I were to take such a post, first thing I'd say to him would be something like, "Never mind all the lying. You're here now. Lean all the way into the crazy and next term party leadership will be sucking your dick and giving you everything you want."

I've been slightly surprised that Santos hasn't hitched his wagon to the Gaetz side of this situation. He's not going to get anything from McCarthy or the GOP from falling in line with 200 others voting for McCarthy. But if he joins a group of 4-6 reps that are holding the govt hostage, he could negotiate a role and the full support of the GOP in 2024.

To be clear, I find Santos and his actions disgusting.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Outside the media pundits and the very online politically engaged, nobody really fucking cares about this shit as they go about their day to day. 

More importantly, harping on the stupidity only gains you support from those on your side.  Look like you give a shit about government.  Let the opposing side throw feces at each other.  I love the way the Dems are handling themselves.  it would be cool if they could make a miracle happen, and get a Dem speaker, but if not, the Repubs are hurting themselves.  The Dems have the message when it matters - next election cycle in purple districts.

18 hours ago, Bullneck said:

The NYT had an article on it a couple of weeks ago, well before this all fell into the morass.  

I think the media doesn't want to suggest an "outsider" speaker since it would sound like a dumb idea if somehow McCarthy gets this all worked out (which he won't).  Rather than look ahead they are adopting the "cross that bridge when we get to it" strategy.

I don't think the credible media should or does advocate for a way this should be resolved. I don't think they meet and decide to shy away from something like an outside speaker. In fact, most of us wouldn't know about the possibility of an outside speaker if the legality hadn't been made clear through broad media outlets.

3 minutes ago, The Original Greaser Bob said:

More importantly, harping on the stupidity only gains you support from those on your side.  Look like you give a shit about government.  Let the opposing side throw feces at each other.  I love the way the Dems are handling themselves.  it would be cool if they could make a miracle happen, and get a Dem speaker, but if not, the Repubs are hurting themselves.  The Dems have the message when it matters - next election cycle in purple districts.

It's not about harping on the stupidity, it's about setting the narrative early. Which is exactly what the GOP always beats them at. It is absolutely the correct move to give a million interviews right now pointing out that the GOP's dysfunction is threatening to hurt people's pocketbooks and that even if they figure out a weakened speaker their continued obstructionism and refusal to govern will still put those things in danger. 

• Rage+1 3

17 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Well, er...maybe respect is the wrong word.  Acceptance (?) with the mainstream GOP had to have been a goal here; because the very things (chortles) that McCarthy represents Marge was never going to get being Marge.  She needs some sort of stamp of approval from something other than Fox, Bannon, Trump and the rest of the hee-haw gang in her district that voted her in.

Building her brand?

I heard Ginni Thomas is chiming in on behalf of the tedious twenty. That'll surely clear the air and get things moving in a positive direction. 

I haven't looked it up though. Whenever I read something she wrote i can smell sulphuric sewage and I don't need that this early. 

11 hours ago, Gatorubet said:

I think I heard that there are 18 new GOP representatives in districts that Biden won. Seeing Boebert and Marge and the other embarrassing GOP trolls ignore the nation’s problems while they focus on the GQP rabbit hole theories will not help the GOP generally, and certainly won’t help those 18.

Because Tits McGee and Ms. 6-Toes were quiet and dignified leading up to the midterms, right?  If they picked up 18 new rep seats in districts that Biden won then why would they tone things down?  It worked so they will take it to 11 now.

2 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

To whom are they supposed to be messaging? It’s on the news. It’s probably not on Fox News and their viewers aren’t following any Dems on Facebook or Twitter. You can’t penetrate the right-wing bubble. Those people are living in their echo chamber impervious to messages from the outside they don’t want to hear.

Jeffries on Monday:

Jeffries yesterday:

It’s obvious that this is 100% on the Republican Party. They themselves admit that. Hakeem pointed that out in a longer version of yesterday’s remarks that I saw on the news this morning. They themselves are calling it an embarrassment.

The message is there but if Fox News isn’t carrying it then the people who get all their news from Fox aren’t hearing it. Those of us in the reality based community know what’s going on. We can see it with our own eyes. We don’t need a message. The people who need to hear it don’t want to hear it and take steps to avoid it.

I agree that the Democrats aren’t as good at messaging as the Republicans and they should do better. I don’t think this is one of those times. I think the Republicans are doing a good enough job on their own of sending the message about their own dysfunction and the Democrats are handling it as well as can be expected. They’re saying they’re ready to get to work as soon as the Republicans stop backstabbing each other and get their shit together. Then they’re grabbing their popcorn, sitting back, and watching the spectacle. 

I was speaking specifically about laying the groundwork that a shut down government means people lose their SS, Medicare, and other federal benefits and this TODAY is the reason it will happen. Because if they can't even work this simple issue that has been a 1 vote affair for over a century then what are the odds they come through when Americans need them on stuff as complex as budgets? They have a perfect opportunity to use the republican fear mongering tactics against them and aren't doing it. 

They should be hammering the message any govt issues and loss of money/benefits for Americans going forward is squarely on the republicans and specifically on Gaetz/Boebert's crew. I haven't heard any direct blame and naming of culprits going on. The American people are stupid. You have to spoon feed them info like babies. 

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, berlinerbaer said:

Defaulting on our debt is going to suck, but I think we can pick ourselves up off the mat.

If we default on our debt, interest costs will go up so much that there is zero chance of balancing a budget.  

Other countries will default on their debt.  

Worldwide equity markets will tank.  

The economy will be in fucking shambles.  

It will make 1929 look like the salad days.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

Lost in all this bickering and wasting time is the fact that redistricting lawsuits is what got us here. If just a few states did not get gerrymandered to shit, the Dems have a narrow majority and Jefferies is already Speaker and going to work. More importantly,the House "freedom" Cocks would be irrelevant and we wouldn't have to hear about their demands for the next 2 years. Such a shame and a missed opportunity for this country. Hopefully some of those states can work this out before 2024 when the Rs take back the Senate. 

2 hours ago, Anastasis said:

I think that I generally give in a similar measure as to how I receive it.

spit-laugh.gif

I might think that long time and very attentive hall monitors like DDD would pick that up. But that might be asking too much. 

Oh-you GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

2 minutes ago, tokamak said:

Default is pretty much inevitable, correct?

Not necessarily. 

If the Dems can find 6 GOP partners willing to play ball, they can bypass whatever nimrod is Speaker and put a discharge petition on the floor.  I believe it would have to sit for 30 days before it can be brought to the floor.  Or something like that. 

They *should* be able to find at least 6 GOPers for something like the debt ceiling, because there's 18 Republicans in Biden seats.  Their #1 job is to try and get re-elected in a presidential year with Biden on the ballot, so some of them are going to have to consider playing ball to burnish their bipartisan/moderate credentials in a district that would normally be hostile to them.  Because otherwise, they will be reason #1 we defaulted.  It's easy for someone like Marge to dig in her hooves and say no, fuck this shit, because her district will never vote her out.  

But some of them, like the new NY Reps, some in CA, etc., have to balance the fact that, if they survive their primaries, they have to go explain to voters why they voted for default. 

• Hook 'Em 1