Joe Biden 2023: The Dark Brandon Rises

StassneyHorn

8 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

People are creatures of habit.  There has to be a desire to eat healthier food, AND when we're talking about poor people, the "cost per calorie" can't be higher, even if that food is suddenly available.  This isn't hard to understand.  These people are trying to keep the lights on, so they're not gonna suddenly buy more kale just because it's on the shelf.

Another part of this is simply people being ignorant of basic nutrition and why it is important.  Seriously, my wife dealt with a lot of poor people in Dallas when she was doing her rotations in med school and it was just astonishing how many of them just had ZERO clue about basic nutrition.  I'm talking not knowing what vitamins were and why vegetables were better than potato chips.

7 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Another part of this is simply people being ignorant of basic nutrition and why it is important.  Seriously, my wife dealt with a lot of poor people in Dallas when she was doing her rotations in med school and it was just astonishing how many of them just had ZERO clue about basic nutrition.  I'm talking not knowing what vitamins were and why vegetables were better than potato chips.

Of course, and then the cultural aspect of it as well, of how and what people eat as a lifestyle and traditions and importance, etc. 

And of course a lot of the cultural stuff and definitely the ignorance has a lot to do with structural and generational racism as food deserts are mostly in black and brown areas of towns (though there are a lot of rural ones as well).

But the point remains, if people are not going to buy high quality and fresh foodstuffs at the rate, volume and margins that are needed to justify the build and management of a grocery store, regardless of the reasons, then you either have to subsidize and incentivize or you wait until the demand in the community is built, right? I'm not talking about Trader Joe's or Whole Foods here either, I'm talking about a basic Kroger.

Edited by BeardIP

13 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

When I was in cardiac rehab, there was a dude there that said he lived on disability so he had to eat cheap.  He drank a 2-liter of sugar soda daily and lived on hot dogs and Doritos.  It's like, dude, you had a heart attack, it might be time to google some basic nutrition guidelines and figure out some healthy cheap eats instead of just sitting on World of Warcraft all day waiting for your gubment check to arrive.  

Edited by CooterBrown

26 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

When I was in cardiac rehab, there was a dude there that said he lived on disability so he had to eat cheap.  He drank a 2-liter of sugar soda daily and lived on hot dogs and Doritos.  It's like, dude, you had a heart attack, it might be time to google some basic nutrition guidelines and figure out some healthy cheap eats instead of just sitting on World of Warcraft all day waiting for your gubment check to arrive.  

South Park Wow GIF

4 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

Hasn't TurkeyChew bragged before about being pretty well off? Now he's acting like he's a middle income millennial. I think the chatbot is broken again.

is beardIP chrispy? It feels like he's using totally different rhetorical styles and arguments - I thought beard was a different poster

1 hour ago, Captainant said:

is beardIP chrispy? It feels like he's using totally different rhetorical styles and arguments - I thought beard was a different poster

@BeardIP is definitely AnimalTobacco. The exact same, "Aw shucks, just asking questions" bullshit.

Edited by HornOnTheBayou
  • Hook 'Em 4

4 minutes ago, HornOnTheBayou said:

@BeardIP is definitely AnimalTobacco. The exact same, "Aw shucks, just asking questions" bullshit.

Weird how we went from celebrating such a respectful and constructive discussion on Friday to made up accusations and fake criticism about something that’s never happened (e.g aw shucks asking questions) on Monday.

Edited by BeardIP
  • Fuck You 1

2 hours ago, Captainant said:

Except for whenever markets fall, it's used as an excuse for layoffs which make it hard to justify saving up to reach that critical mass. Boomers and olds had the benefit of market and employment norms that provided significantly more stability and opportunity to take risks than current 20-40yo bracket. 

It's always been the case that when markets fall or there is an economic downturn, layoffs occur and no one hires. I graduated in the early 90s recession and I had one job offer out of college. It was a professional job for less than $10 per hour. Young people do not get the same economic security that older people get. But younger people also have a broader grouping of jobs to get within their experience level and salary needs. Get laid off in your early 60s and you wish you had the opportunities that a 25-35 year old has.

• Hook 'Em 2

21 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

It's always been the case that when markets fall or there is an economic downturn, layoffs occur and no one hires. I graduated in the early 90s recession and I had one job offer out of college. It was a professional job for less than $10 per hour. Young people do not get the same economic security that older people get. But younger people also have a broader grouping of jobs to get within their experience level and salary needs. Get laid off in your early 60s and you wish you had the opportunities that a 25-35 year old has.

And the game, wood, energy, etc.  Sure you can revive some of that medically but not the same.

I fear stories like this one about black voters in GA, where they're becoming apathetic to Biden, at best.

“Bad as things were, people say they felt money was circulating with Trump in office, those stimulus checks,” he said. “Now there is no money circulating. Prices are up. The cost of food is up.”

“I think he should stay out of other people’s business [Ukraine, Israel] and focus more on problems here at home,” said Kameron White, a 33-year-old forklift operator. “We need help here. We need better education, more jobs. There’s drugs. There’s gang violence. There’s very few grocery stores. I want to see more change at home.”

We've fallen into a trap where many look to the President to solve problems but we give the President very little credit when something is going well. Prices are up, it's Joe's fault. I got a COLA raise at work, that's due to my hard work and not my employer doing well. I can understand many, especially lower income and/or poor are not seeing any impact of a red hot stock market.

Trump was smart politically when he highlighted that HE was giving stimulus checks to people. Didn't he include a letter, and have his signature on physical checks that went out?

Finally this is a bad paragraph for Biden.

In national polls, Black voters appear to be moving away from Mr. Biden and the Democratic Party while expressing growing support for Mr. Trump. In one October poll, just 71 percent of Black voters in battleground states said they would vote for Mr. Biden, compared with the 87 percent who voted for him nationwide in 2020. Nearly a third of Black men said they supported Mr. Trump, while 17 percent of Black women did. In another poll, one in five Black voters said they wanted someone other than Mr. Trump or Mr. Biden.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 3

5 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I fear stories like this one about black voters in GA, where they're becoming apathetic to Biden, at best.

We've fallen into a trap where many look to the President to solve problems but we give the President very little credit when something is going well. Prices are up, it's Joe's fault. I got a COLA raise at work, that's due to my hard work and not my employer doing well. I can understand many, especially lower income and/or poor are not seeing any impact of a red hot stock market.

Trump was smart politically when he highlighted that HE was giving stimulus checks to people. Didn't he include a letter, and have his signature on physical checks that went out?

We are the dumbest fucking country and deserve every bad thing that happens to us.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Chuckie Finster said:

We are the dumbest fucking country and deserve every bad thing that happens to us.

That's where I am. There's not much I can do if Donald Trump wins next November.

I'm going to vote for Joe Biden not only because he's going to be the Democratic nominee, but also because he's a good president.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Most kids losing Medicaid come from just nine states all led by Republicans

https://www.axios.com/2023/12/19/children-health-insurance-medicaid-unwinding

Sixty percent of kids who have lost Medicaid coverage this year came from just nine states, all of which are Republican-led, according to new data from the Biden administration.

Driving the news: And the 10 states refusing the Affordable Care Act's expansion of Medicaid to low-income adults have disenrolled more kids than all of the expansion states combined, the administration also reported.

• Rage+1 2

1 minute ago, tx 3 putt said:

That sounds like a threat

Looking through his social media, Schneider projects an image that everything is going fine, but something has broken inside of him to not only be saying stupid shit like that, but just to have that much hate for a sitting President who, oh, I dunno, didn't try to start a coup or talk about rounding up all of his enemies.

Sixty percent of kids who have lost Medicaid coverage this year came from just nine states, all of which are Republican-led, according to new data from the Biden administration.
Driving the news: And the 10 states refusing the Affordable Care Act's expansion of Medicaid to low-income adults have disenrolled more kids than all of the expansion states combined, the administration also reported.

Republicans in Texas continue to brazenly insult their voters’ intelligence by running on “fiscal responsibility,” while among other things refusing free Federal money to reduce the state’s nation-leading number of uninsured adults and children. It’s maddening, but you also kind of have to laugh because it’s been proven that they made the correct bet on voters being too dumb to catch them.

15 hours ago, StassneyHorn said:

They blame Joe Biden for killing their hard earned government benefits. It's the "others" that should lose benefits, not them. You know, "welfare queens," who are mooches. But they themselves, they earned those benefits, because they work so hard. This is literally how they think.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

On 12/20/2023 at 10:31 PM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

People need to stop being so fucking stupid. 

• Hook 'Em 1

image.png.457970ccff636a21b90142bab6b791e8.png
Biden beat Donny's pre covid economy, if rates fall, and growth continues like this there is 0.00001% chance Donny wins the presidency.

Really? It's a coin flip at best. Do you ever go out in public or read Poe's rants? This place is lousy with Gomer chud morons and we'll be lucky to live through it .

6 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

People need to stop being so fucking stupid. 

Yep, and half of the people are below average intelligence.

when voting for an incumbent many people ask the simple question: Am I better today than I was 4 years ago. And there’s a whole army of online sources telling you that you’re not. They will tell you that gas was $1.99 on Election Day in 2020.  The world was at peace. American tax dollars was staying in America and not going to fight non-American wars.

And when TikTok feeds me these “facts”, I could take the time to validate them myself but there’s another video waiting for me to swipe. Not to mention that TikTok will soon feed me a similar video(es) that will cement those fake ideas in my head.

Not to come across as overly protectionist, and I get Japan is an ally (currently), but not sure how I feel about selling an historic (and large middle class job provider) and American institution.

Again, I'm torn, but it does sound like there is bipartisan support to cause some friction for the deal from both R's and D's in PA, OH, etc.

https://www.wsj.com/business/deals/white-house-says-14-1-billion-u-s-steel-sale-deserves-serious-scrutiny-8e709ae2?

White House Says $14.1 Billion U.S. Steel Sale Deserves ‘Serious Scrutiny’

Under deal, Japan’s Nippon Steel would acquire one of America’s most storied industrial enterprises