2023 Tropical Storm and Hurricane thread

HiggyBaby

Shit starting to heat up. Just fired up the generator and topped off the gas cans, secured the backyard. We may get lucky here in Fort Walton Beach, FL but it's gonna rain and be windy.

If it hits the bend (Appalachacola) people are fucked, there is nowhere for the water to go as it will just push inward being a horseshoe shape.

• Hook 'Em 3

25 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

At this point around 60% of Florida homeowners insurance policies are held with the state insurer of last resort. 

I’m sure Ron is on top of it and this will all be fine. 

Hurricanes slamming west coast, big bend, jacksonville, ft myers....  me in the SE Florida (with strict building codes/storm standards) and a concrete bunker of a house who hasn't filled a claim in 18yrs when I go to renew, "oh you're in the highest risk area of the state, no lube for you!"

So in the SE we get to subsidize the rest of Florida, and god forbid, if we get hit, it'll wipe out the carriers and we'll be lucky to get shit.

I'm soooo salty 

Edited by locodos
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 3

1 minute ago, Zepol87 said:

Flying into Orlando now supposed to leave from Tampa Wednesday. Not gonna happen now. Hopefully it stays north though and I can get out of Orlando so I don’t have to drive down to FLL to leave

Weren't you just in LA for that hurricane? you're bad luck

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Surly Bevo said:

At this point around 60% of Florida homeowners insurance policies are held with the state insurer of last resort. 

He also ran off all of the immigrant labor.  Hope the rebuild goes well.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Bevo said:

Do you have a graph? I am curious if stats back up your claim.

Don’t have a graph but yes I have family and friends that left. Some were in construction others in the fields but they left and are doing pretty well in North Carolina now 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, dieucla98 said:

Idalia is going to get the headlines but Franklin has a shot at achieving Cat 5 this evening - recon enroute as we speak.

Went from a dead quiet hurricane season to some fairly noteworthy storms in a few weeks time.

That’s how late August in the gulf/south Atlantic works 

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, texasdago said:

Except this year you have "OMG look at those number" water temps that are making experts pretty freaked out. 

Going to need more of these...

SNL's 10 Best Ad Parodies, as Selected by Some of Advertising's Top  Creatives

Interesting thought, I watched a youtube vid a national weather service guy does as a hobby about long term forecasting.  According to him, given that we have a La Nina in the Pacific, that historically causes or contributes to polar vortexes combined with the extraordinarily hot conditions in the Atlantic, the possibility exists for something amazing to happen.  In theory, hurricane season in the Atlantic could be longer than usual, which in turn could allow for a hurricane to collide with a polar vortex, turning a hurricane into a blizzard event.  He did state he felt that there was only a 5 to 10% chance of something like this happening, but man would that be fucking wild?  The Oops I Crapped my Pants product line might do quite well in such a scenario.  

Interesting thought, I watched a youtube vid a national weather service guy does as a hobby about long term forecasting.  According to him, given that we have a La Nina in the Pacific, that historically causes or contributes to polar vortexes combined with the extraordinarily hot conditions in the Atlantic, the possibility exists for something amazing to happen.  In theory, hurricane season in the Atlantic could be longer than usual, which in turn could allow for a hurricane to collide with a polar vortex, turning a hurricane into a blizzard event.  He did state he felt that there was only a 5 to 10% chance of something like this happening, but man would that be fucking wild?  The Oops I Crapped my Pants product line might do quite well in such a scenario.  

I kind of want to see that happen.

4 minutes ago, Hate said:

I kind of want to see that happen.

Yeah, I'm with you assuming you could exclude all the death, destruction and financial ruin that would come with it.  That having been said, the die is potentially cast, and chaos from nature is fascinating.  Nature can be a very humbling thing.  

33 minutes ago, BamaATL said:

Except....we're in an El Nino, not a La Nina.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Except....we're in an El Nino, not a La Nina.

It is entirely possible, if not probable (to a certainty of 100%), that I go the two confused as I was doing from memory.  However, I did go find the video, for those interested.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, BamaATL said:

In for Blizzacane.

(or Hurrizard.  Whichever you prefer.)

• Like 1

I'd buy tickets to that event.

It is entirely possible, if not probable (to a certainty of 100%), that I go the two confused as I was doing from memory.  However, I did go find the video, for those interested.

Just watched his most recent video (5 days ago). "Area of interest" in the Yucatan is now Idalia and his maps tracked it almost on its exact path. 

On 8/28/2023 at 1:00 PM, Surly Bevo said:

On 8/28/2023 at 1:25 PM, locodos said:

Hurricanes slamming west coast, big bend, jacksonville, ft myers....  me in the SE Florida (with strict building codes/storm standards) and a concrete bunker of a house who hasn't filled a claim in 18yrs when I go to renew, "oh you're in the highest risk area of the state, no lube for you!"

So in the SE we get to subsidize the rest of Florida, and god forbid, if we get hit, it'll wipe out the carriers and we'll be lucky to get shit.

I'm soooo salty 

17 hours ago, Aqua Buddha said:

He also ran off all of the immigrant labor.  Hope the rebuild goes well.

14 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

It's projected to drive even more insurance companies out of the state.

Fuck Florida.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, BamaATL said:

The Perfect Storm GIF - The Perfect Storm Perfect Storm - Discover & Share  GIFs

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1