2024 Transfer Thread - Brooks Was Here. So Was Red.

7 hours ago, immamac said:

He has to be somewhat polite on the other one because of the fragile people who don’t even know they can post without their real names. 

We can? Shit, y’all disregard every post over there from Robert T. Jefferson. 

1 hour ago, Teryor said:

Where's mommy moving him this time?

lol love how ou fans are blaming the portal era and NIL for reasons why this guy can't seem to stick somewhere..  He and his momma need to figure out a place for him and he needs to stick with it.... for better or for worse..

2 hours ago, Thiefery said:

lol love how ou fans are blaming the portal era and NIL for reasons why this guy can't seem to stick somewhere..  He and his momma need to figure out a place for him and he needs to stick with it.... for better or for worse..

Pics of mom aren’t showing up.

8 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Seems like this is the big week. I’m wondering how much action we’ll hear about today versus like Wednesday/Thursday because of paperwork and coaches trying to talk players out of leaving. 

With schools having 48 hours to officially process and put in portal requests, I do wonder if we will get to a point of having specific teams being tagged as “not portal friendly” due to their consistent slow walking of paperwork?

In truth, is there any benefit to me from a schools perspective not to make it my policy to wait the full time frame before processing a portal request?

The students has limited power here and if it leads to even one case of the school being to persuade a student to pull their name and stay due to the extra time to try and come to some form of agreement, why would any school process anything sooner?

I personally don’t believe that dragging it out has much impact for the star or starter level caliber player, as many of those have offers in hand before entering the portal, but how does this hurt the lower tier transfer depth or development guys wanting to move on? Does adding 48 more hours impact how has spots left enough for this to really matter?

Interesting question that has enough facets to it that it could have some interesting unintended consequences that could be studied…

44 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Seems like this is the big week. I’m wondering how much action we’ll hear about today versus like Wednesday/Thursday because of paperwork and coaches trying to talk players out of leaving. 

I've been curious about that. I figured that normally you'd have most dudes waiting to see how the spring game goes or using the spring game as an opportunity to show out before entering the portal but I guess since ours is on the late it's not as much an option when things move so fast and spots can fill up.

Feels like many (most?) athletes post their goodbye and intent to transfer on their socials as they request, not after their name hits the list after the waiting period. 
but is that a self selecting group?  Do we know how many request it but keep it quiet in case a deal can be made for them to stay, in time to withdraw without it becoming public knowledge?

Edited by Pato del Muerto

It depends if they know where they are going.  For the players shopping for a new team, it makes sense to announce publicly on social media to drum up interest.  It can also help start a bidding war.  If they are getting recruited in to the portal by a school, the paperwork getting filed is the only thing that matters because they already know where they are going.

Edited by kevwun

I was talking to a friend about this earlier. If a player enrolls at Texas with an injury or gets injured in his first camp, he’s probably going to get recruited over. Guillette is an exception and probably the baseline talent level that the coaches will wait for. 

I’ve been very pleased with the healthy roster churn. 

Since Texas and blOU aren't officially in the SEC yet, I guess SEC in conference transfer rules may not apply??

Here's what I found...

The Southeastern Conference will now allow players who transfer within the conference to have immediate eligibility at their new school.

There is one difference in the SEC’s rule compared to the NCAA’s one-time transfer rule. To transfer within the SEC and be eligible immediately, fall sport athletes must “declare his or her intent to transfer” by Feb. 1. 

https://sports.yahoo.com/sec-changes-rule-allows-immediate-eligibility-for-transfers-within-conference-000755285.html#:~:text=The Southeastern Conference will now allow players who,out for a year before returning to action.

1 minute ago, LTtxfan said:

Since Texas and blOU aren't officially in the SEC yet, I guess SEC in conference transfer rules may not apply??

Here's what I found...

I believe I saw a report that says they will apply to Texas and OU this window.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Here's what I found...

According to 247 the SEC transfer rules will apply to UT & OU. 

https://247sports.com/article/sec-intraconference-transfer-rules-apply-to-oklahoma-texas-ahead-of-spring-portal-window-230328702/

• Hook 'Em 1

35 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I was talking to a friend about this earlier. If a player enrolls at Texas with an injury or gets injured in his first camp, he’s probably going to get recruited over. Guillette is an exception and probably the baseline talent level that the coaches will wait for. 

I’ve been very pleased with the healthy roster churn. 

Too early to make a blanket statement like that, Colton Vasek is also doing well to make his way back.

Injuries don't help, but guys who aren't on top of their shit from the jump are generally gonna get recruited over. Sink or swim.

• Hook 'Em 1

No, July 1 I think. They may intend to follow SEC rules though. 
I don't think we can grab portal players from SEC teams and play them in '24, that's the most important thing. Having said that, not sure if CDC just verbally agreed to that with SEC brass or if we're actually considered full SEC for football once the season ended. Since we used SEC patches on the uni's for recruit visits, I suspect the latter.

Committed without visiting. Was an EE, but hit the wall early and never really regained his footing. Suffered a significant knee injury during an in-season practice.

Good kid, but he would have had a hard time playing here even if he did everything right and didn't get injured.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, ousux said:
1 hour ago, immamac said:
No, July 1 I think. They may intend to follow SEC rules though. 

I don't think we can grab portal players from SEC teams and play them in '24, that's the most important thing. Having said that, not sure if CDC just verbally agreed to that with SEC brass or if we're actually considered full SEC for football once the season ended. Since we used SEC patches on the uni's for recruit visits, I suspect the latter.

Well, we know how verbal agreements go with the SEC.

image.thumb.jpeg.1535769af061e5a32afd7f917a1dae28.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• closetojumping changed the title to 2024 Transfer Thread - Brooks Was Here. So Was Red.