What news you watching?

GoPokes83

NO F’n C/R!! What news sources are your go to’s and why. I’m usually good with local news, (Fox 26 out of Houston.). If some national event is going on I’ll switch over to one of the 24 hour news networks, and usually wind up on Fox. I’ve checked out Newsmax recently, no opinion. My all time favorite was Al Jazeera America back when it was available.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, GoPokes83 said:

NO F’n C/R!! What news sources are your go to’s and why. I’m usually good with local news, (Fox 26 out of Houston.). If some national event is going on I’ll switch over to one of the 24 hour news networks, and usually wind up on Fox. I’ve checked out Newsmax recently, no opinion. My all time favorite was Al Jazeera America back when it was available.

For me, anything national is online. Usually start at Drudge. There's so much going on that watching stories one at a time and waiting to hear about something that interests seems antiquated.

For local news, it's KXAN, often website but occasionally watching the newscast. State politics/happenings is usually Texas Tribune mixed with Twitter.

7 minutes ago, GoPokes83 said:

NO F’n C/R!!

Chicago Bulls What GIF by NBA

Yeah I'm sure no one will CR this thread. I'll give it 12 posts. 

Actually - let's go with less since you said you watch fox news.

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Wow, some of y'all watch local news.  So fucking brave.  Sarcasm aside, KXAN in Austin really does do great weather.  And if there's some huge story locally, we'll tune in for a few minutes here and there.  If there's a massive national/international story, I take Gen. Murray's advice and watch daytime CNN just because they have the best assets/resources.  Otherwise, I read.  People tend to put more thought into writing than they do into speaking (this site notwithstanding ;)  )  

Every single week, I read NYTimes, Washington Post, Reason Magazine, Mother Jones, the Atlantic, National Review, Texas Tribune, and Texas Public Policy Foundation newsletter.  If you're not reading both sides, you need to shut the fuck up because you're much dumber than your parents fear you are.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Yup.  Says no C/R then mentions he gets his news from Fox and Newsmax. *That's bait.gif*

I said I’d seen Newsmax. May as well give ‘em all a try, unless you’re going to be told third party how to think and what to watch it never hurts to check something out. Also I don’t WATCH Fox News. I’ll turn it on if there’s some breaking national news, but not exclusively. If CNN has better camera angles or whatever I’ll watch that. I don’t watch the news-explainers on any of the networks. I’m pretty good at thinking for myself.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, GoPokes83 said:

I said I’d seen Newsmax. May as well give ‘em all a try, unless you’re going to be told third party how to think and what to watch it never hurts to check something out. Also I don’t WATCH Fox News. I’ll turn it on if there’s some breaking national news, but not exclusively. If CNN has better camera angles or whatever I’ll watch that. I don’t watch the news-explainers on any of the networks. I’m pretty good at thinking for myself.

Watches Newsmax and "does his own research"?

Oh Boy Dismay GIF - Oh Boy Dismay Disappoint - Discover ...

• Haha 3

I get free access to the NYTimes through my library, so that's decent. It has its share of biases, but at least they're known and can be filtered. AND since they put up the paywall, there's depth to the reporting that was absent in the early part of the century.

NPR is reliable.

Outside that, I get a frightening amount of news via specific, select Surly feeds, about football and Ukraine.

I get free access to the NYTimes through my library, so that's decent. It has its share of biases, but at least they're known and can be filtered. AND since they put up the paywall, there's depth to the reporting that was absent in the early part of the century.
NPR is reliable.
Outside that, I get a frightening amount of news via specific, select Surly feeds, about football and Ukraine.

Ukraine thread with s solid gold!

I've always preferred to read my news, and I listen to NPR in the car.

Reading-wise, I use the "google app" and google news as an aggregator, and also feedly for more editorial or in-depth converage.  I usually won't click on Fox, just to avoid giving them clicks, unless it's something so outrageous I have to read it.  Same with NY Post.

It cheeses me off if I click on a story and it's a video.  That's how much I like to read my news.  I used to be a big fan of papers.

Edited by TwiceHorn

10 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I've always preferred to read my news, and I listen to NPR in the car.

Reading-wise, I use the "google app" and google news as an aggregator, and also feedly for more editorial or in-depth converage.  I usually won't click on Fox, just to avoid giving them clicks, unless it's something so outrageous I have to read it.  Same with NY Post.

It cheeses me off if I click on a story and it's a video.  That's how much I like to read my news.  I used to be a big fan of papers.

Same. Because you almost always have to sit 15-30 seconds of commercials. Ain’t nobody got time for that.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, YGIFS said:

Sarcasm aside, KXAN in Austin really does do great weather.  And if there's some huge story locally, we'll tune in for a few minutes here and there. 

For whatever reason, it seems like KXAN is pretty on-the-ball about a lot of local stuff, both website and the newscasts, although I don't generally don't watch live TV unless it's sports or weather.

If I'm going to watch news programs, I go British with Sky News and sometimes BBC, as they have some very attractive older ladies doing the news, and that's the main criteria right there.  Also, for the last 15 or so years, I've been trying to learn French so I could understand Mélissa Theuriau.

Just kidding, I gave up on the French years ago, and don't really care what she's talking about.

e547591737212612c674aed353bf9322.jpg

09.jpg

Even when she talks sports, don't care that I can't understand it.

05.jpg

• Hook 'Em 3

26 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Same. Because you almost always have to sit 15-30 seconds of commercials. Ain’t nobody got time for that.

I have relatives that watch Fox News, CNN, etc., on TV, and I'm just like

Confused Liam Neeson GIF

If a commercial comes on, I'm probably not coming back - I'd rather just catch highlights on my phone or iPad.

While 60 minutes is a completely garbage these days, one thing I miss is we would come home after church service and watch either ABC with George because a friend was on it or Meet the Press (which sucks now also).  But since we cut the cord, and daughter has faith formation after service, we don't get to see any of it anymore.  But it was as about as unfiltered as you'd get from a politician or statesman.  They are still guarded but at least it wasn't the canned bullshit you get when you see one side on MSNBC and the other side on FOXnews.  There  was a least a modicum of frankness.  Not sure if that's the case, hadn't watched in a couple years.  

One thing I forgot to mention is in the car, satellite radio.  POTUS.  Politics of the United States.  The three daytime hosts-Smerconish, Abrams, and Steve are all really good, it not a bit dry (in a good way).  People will obviously project their own bias bullshit onto them, but as somebody who has lived and breathed deep engagement with Republican, Democratic, and Libertarian---all that network does is just use quotes and facts, and then take calls.  There is very little opinion or editorial overtones except when they try and lighten the mood with humor (which sadly, fails most of the time).  So when they're talking about your team, it gets offensive and brutal but it couldn't be more couched in the truth if they tried.  And then they're talking about the other team, it's salacious and fun.  In the end, it's the most balanced thing out there besides BBC who a certain chunk of this country takes issue with because they basically just say, "Fucked up thing #37 that happened in America today..."  And we know they're right, we're just pissed off when our friends call us out on our bullshit.  Anyway, if you got sat radio...give POTUS a listen midday.  

When I was younger I read daily newspaper cover to cover... In my 20's - 30's nighly news. 40's msnbc.com news site...

Now.... Gas station pump... only watch news maybe once a week for less than a minute and life has been better I must say. If I'm lucky I can skip a week.

19 hours ago, GoPokes83 said:

1440 online. Fox26 local.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

When I was younger I read daily newspaper cover to cover... In my 20's - 30's nighly news. 40's msnbc.com news site...

Now.... Gas station pump... only watch news maybe once a week for less than a minute and life has been better I must say. If I'm lucky I can skip a week.

Yep. No news is good news.

I can get the gist of world happenings in 15 seconds. The local news grisly details used to frighten or depress people are pointless. I guess it works on my mom though since she thinks the city is overrun with crime and murder. It's a miracle I get to work alive.

1 hour ago, gofuckyourself said:

Yep. No news is good news.

I can get the gist of world happenings in 15 seconds. The local news grisly details used to frighten or depress people are pointless. I guess it works on my mom though since she thinks the city is overrun with crime and murder. It's a miracle I get to work alive.

Each and every time my in laws visit, they are visibly disappointed that my neighborhood isn’t completely overrun with Central American street gangs.  I tried showing them that the creekbed behind our home doesn’t really connect to the rio grande river.  They’re genuinely bummed out that the bullshit they’ve been sold is just that.  I have to tell them “if you wanna see some undocumented folks, we can go to the south Austin Home Depot.  Best I can do is maybe a homeless dude on Lamar.”

Yeah, I don't watch any news. Listen to NPR on the drive. Read NYT online (my wife has a sub). Subscribe to the New Yorker in print, but I'm always about a month or two behind. Plus rando links on surly. 

We recently moved into a new building at work, and there is a giant tv in the breakroom, always tuned to ABC news. I try to just ignore it. At least its not Fox I guess.