Blastfurnace 2023

Storm the Field

1 hour ago, Armybrat said:

I notice on the Ercot dashboard that the Bitcoin miners & EV charging are going wild overnight with their power consumption.

1) I don't know how they can differentiate EV charging from regular use, but neat

2) Good, EV charging should be occurring overnight.  Less stress on the grid.

3) Fuck Bitcoin miners

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Yup. Tesla app pushes you toward charging during off-peak times. I tell the app I want my car ready to go at 5:30 AM, and the vehicle starts charging around 3 AM. 

• Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

1) I don't know how they can differentiate EV charging from regular use, but neat

3) Fuck Bitcoin miners

I have one Ford Lightning in my fleet.  My BizDev guy drives it.  He went to a DC charging station Monday, and they had the power essentially "turned down".  So, instead of a 15 min charge, it took 2+ hours to charge his truck.  

On 6/14/2023 at 9:10 PM, Trey3216 said:

Not once have I said the climate is not changing.  Not once have I said it hasn’t changed and shifted in the course of humanity.   It also coincides with quite natural changes in the rotation of the earth and cycles of the sun, just as it always has, just like the ice cores show.   

we absolutely need to do better to conserve the gifts we have been given regarding resources, but for fuck‘S sake, we do not and cannot control the climate.  

2 hours ago, HenryJames said:

It was a pre-emptive post Mr. Tomasco

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, closetohumping said:

There's a lot of things I miss about Texas.  And a lot that I don't.

If we leave and stay in the states we might come back for mid October to end of December, that’s been really nice the last few years.  And march 15 through May 15 maybe.

but Jan through march 15 and June 1 through October 15 can fuck off.

that’s only 4.5 months of acceptable weather… o_O

Edited by troph

20 minutes ago, Grimas said:

Forgot to pour bleach down my upstairs sinks in awhile and one of my upstairs sinks -that shares drainpipe with the A/C condensation pan - overflowed…. Argh…

Vinegar.   Use vinegar.  

This massive high pressure dome is gonna start looking like a black hole for these tropical systems in the Atlantic in a few days.   

• Hook 'Em 3

56 minutes ago, Grimas said:

Forgot to pour bleach down my upstairs sinks in awhile and one of my upstairs sinks -that shares drainpipe with the A/C condensation pan - overflowed…. Argh…

I'm sure there's a run on stocks of bleach at various grocery stores in Austin as people remember they need to keep their condensation line clear.  Thankfully, our setup has a little floater thing that trips a breaker and shuts down the AC instead of continuing to run and potentially flood.

35 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

Vinegar.   Use vinegar.  

If you use a lot of it and often (once or twice a week) depending on the system and how much it's running.  I've done both with ours, and vinegar can work but I found myself going through a lot of it.  If it gets to the point where the line is clogged, I have to use bleach, otherwise it takes forever to clear the line, complete with shopvaccing out the water.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I'm in Oak Hill and it smells like something's on fire. This can't be good.

Prescribed burn on Austin Water land.  Stinks at our house.  I thought it was the Circle C park.  

So, who is playing the "did the A/C stop working or did the break trip again?" game?

• Hook 'Em 2

12 minutes ago, Hpara759 said:

Robert Madden guru's discourage that, it can damage the coils.......just sayin

Mine is in the drain line to the house's main drain.  It never touches the coils.

When I use bleach, it only takes 1/2 - 1 cup a month.  Vinegar, almost every week it seems in the summer.

Edited by atomheartbevo

1 hour ago, Grimas said:

our drip pan for the A/C condensate got full enough that it tripped the overflow sensor and turned the unit off. Had to bail out the drip pan to get the water level low enough to get the unit to run again (thankfully)

ridiculous humidity right now. It can't drain fast enough right now.

3 minutes ago, yoladu said:

our drip pan for the A/C condensate got full enough that it tripped the overflow sensor and turned the unit off. Had to bail out the drip pan to get the water level low enough to get the unit to run again (thankfully)

ridiculous humidity right now. It can't drain all the condensate for a unit that is seemingly running 24/7 right now.

yes, used vinegar.. that did help.

Edited by yoladu

2 hours ago, MissingInAction said:

My dog walking schedule is now 6 am for the 3 mile, 10 am for play time in the dog park, 10 pm is just for emptying.

She will ask to go out at 5, but all I have to do is crack the door and she goes right back to bed.

Yep, 8am short walk, 10am longer walk, 5pm 30-second pee, 9:30 pee before bed. And even that 10am walk, he’s about dead after 20 minutes 

12 minutes ago, yoladu said:

ridiculous humidity right now. It can't drain fast enough right now.

Yea, I usually pour some bleach down every time I change the air filters but got lazy and didn't do it this time...  Argh...  Pinch-a-penny pool supplies sells 2.5 gallons of bleach for $12 bucks and I had 4 jugs on-hand but didn't pour any in this time... (I was actually thinking - "man, I better go pour some bleach with all this heat" a week ago but didn't...)

And I just had service on the units a few months ago and they put my pool tablets in the pan but obviously didn't work...)

Edited by Grimas

57 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

I'm sure there's a run on stocks of bleach at various grocery stores in Austin as people remember they need to keep their condensation line clear.  Thankfully, our setup has a little floater thing that trips a breaker and shuts down the AC instead of continuing to run and potentially flood.

If you use a lot of it and often (once or twice a week) depending on the system and how much it's running.  I've done both with ours, and vinegar can work but I found myself going through a lot of it.  If it gets to the point where the line is clogged, I have to use bleach, otherwise it takes forever to clear the line, complete with shopvaccing out the water.

Correct.  If you use vinegar, every other month or so is ok.  Vinegar is cheap too, and won't eat away at the PVC glue like bleach will over time.  I use about 1/4 gallon or so every 2 months.  

1 hour ago, gmr548 said:

Uh, is it black holes or hurricanes you don’t grasp?

Hurricanes tend to like the outflow winds from a high pressure system.  Kinda feeds the leading edge of a storm quite nicely.  Stronger the high, stronger the low.  

30 minutes ago, Grimas said:

Yea, I usually pour some bleach down every time I change the air filters but got lazy and didn't do it this time...  Argh...  Pinch-a-penny pool supplies sells 2.5 gallons of bleach for $12 bucks and I had 4 jugs on-hand but didn't pour any in this time... (I was actually thinking - "man, I better go pour some bleach with all this heat" a week ago but didn't...)

And I just had service on the units a few months ago and they put my pool tablets in the pan but obviously didn't work...)

dollar stores have jugs of bleach for $1 per

2 hours ago, Trey3216 said:

This massive high pressure dome is gonna start looking like a black hole for these tropical systems in the Atlantic in a few days.   

Do you mean it will attract storms? Cause that seems... not right. The dome is known to sit over this area every summer and every summer we see storms go to the east.

Where are all the yahoos that say natural disasters happen because god is angry? Is this because Texas didn't pass having the 10 commandments in classrooms? /nocr

image.png.2efba97a33168439dd1662b874fdbe34.png

5 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Do you mean it will attract storms? Cause that seems... not right. The dome is known to sit over this area every summer and every summer we see storms go to the east.

It takes a strong enough low to make it happen.  Very possibly won't, but a strong enough low will feed off a big high pressure system and become even stronger.  

Typically the only thing that gets rid of the dome is wobbling and weakening itself, or a massive low pressure system...like a hurricane.