Blastfurnace 2023

Storm the Field

2 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

This is the worst part for me.  I think we are going to start seeing stuff that we can't even comprehend yet.  I think we passed the tipping point several years back and it's all going to snowball.  Climate is going to make stuff like Covid or Ukraine look like child's play.

Just a few years ago we were in single digits for days on end in Austin, and I had plenty of snow that lasted for the week, which was good because I was fucking melting snow to flush my toilets. I’m still not sure I comprehend that.

And the forecast is pretty much triple digit for the next few months.  Wouldn’t be so bad if not for the humidity, but I’m wondering if we will have a lot of 110+ days.

The ocean and Antarctica stuff make me nervous because of how important they are with temps.

Edited by atomheartbevo

First big wild fire in Hays county yesterday. 85 acres, 90% contained. I expect fire departments in rural areas are going to be stretched across the south this year. 

Driving out to Wimberley I would be quite nervous if I had one of those nice big homes sitting on the top of the hill, surrounded by Cedars. 

lots of fucking handwringing in a weather thread... about climate.  Oh well.

Meanwhile on the high plains today, we had a high of 74 and humidity of 68.

weird weather, indeed.

Sometimes human nature is to concern yourself with a broader macro trend (like climate) and how it effects you in there here and now (like weather).  I have a degree in macroeconomics, including long-term financial trends.  But I usually only concern myself with the monetary and fiscal climate surrounding my little family, my businesses, and myself.  Same with Covid-19 globally, and Covid-19 in my home, schools, workplace, and stores.  

I now know lotsa Texans who sleep with loaded weapons at their beside because of stuff in Chicago, New Orleans, Portland, Baltimore, Detroit, and Florida.  Sometimes you can't address the local until you address the vast.  

This is part of a climate trend.  We all accept that.  If 10% more effort to curb that a bit for the next few decades, I certainly expend a lot more energy and time on much more futile shit.  

7 minutes ago, slorch said:

weird weather, indeed.

Yeah, we should probably just ignore it. Nothing to see here. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

weird weather, indeed.

I get it. Our time here is a relative blip on the radar. I don't really give a fuck what happened a billion years ago though. I care about what's happening right now. It's becoming overwhelmingly obvious that relatively short-term freak weather occurrences are becoming relatively long-term trends. I'm not sure how anyone can deny that at this point.
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Okie State said:

I get it. Our time here is a relative blip on the radar. I don't really give a fuck what happened a billion years ago though. I care about what's happening right now. It's becoming overwhelmingly obvious that relatively short-term freak weather occurrences are becoming relatively long-term trends. I'm not sure how anyone can deny that at this point.

46 minutes ago, Okie State said:

I'm not sure anyone is saying that. It's likely getting a lot shittier though. So that's cool I guess.

Yeah, it's more like "hmmm...that wildfire that's 10 miles away seems to be headed our direction, and the wind is helping it. I should probably be concerned."

As I said, the stuff out west is a little eerie (could really fuck with food supplies, etc.), and the ocean temps/Antarctica make me wonder what the ultimate impact will be on us (even if it's something that fucks with other areas, it could raise prices for us or reduce supplies of certain foodstuffs, etc.).

Here in Texas (and Oklahoma) we need to very careful about people fucking with the water supplies.  We've had people (including T. Boone Fucking Pickens) making runs at our water here in Texas and shipping it out-of-state, and we've got a lot of folks who will happily fuck everybody else over in the long term as long as they get paid in the short-term.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

lol slorch’ed

LOL  False.

My post was about the people discussing weather as climate. Nothing was said about climate change by me, Not sorry to offend if I did.  Your religion is sacred and all.

Edited by slorch

2 hours ago, slorch said:

LOL  False.

My post was about the people discussing weather as climate. Nothing was said about climate change by me, Not sorry to offend if I did.  Your religion is sacred and all.

You're trolling and/or shitposting.  HURR DURR WEATHER IS DIFFERENT THAN CLIMATE.  Yes, we know.  They are related, however.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SubliminalHorn said:

Not looking forward to getting back to the blastfurnace after spending a long weekend in Toronto

Yeah, it sucked stepping off that plane at ABIA on my flight back from Chicago.  It was actually a bit toasty and humid in Chicago, but heaven compared to this fucking heat dome.

23 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Having now collected 6 days of data, I am ready to declare Washington summers superior to Texas summers.  5 stars, do recommend.  

Parts of Washington are like Texas.  I remember working construction while it was 115° outside and they made everyone stop work. The Tri-Cities part of the Columbia Valley used to be really hot in the summer. I played golf all the time when it was 100 because the old people were not out.  This is before I became the old people, of course.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Phoenix could break the record for consecutive days above 110 degrees as a result. The city has been above 110 degrees for 10 consecutive days and could break the record of 19 days next Tuesday.

Temperatures around Phoenix will struggle to drop below 90 degrees some nights, which can be deadly for those without air conditioning.

https://apple.news/AJ2LM-wSOTj2XYKuDeFsWAA

I hope everyone in Phoenix would have air conditioning 

If it's not getting below 90 at night, going to be a whole lot of people discovering that their A/C can't handle 24/7.

Most people there have swamp cooler AC. Not nearly as big an energy draw. Doesn’t work for shit when it’s hot and humid though - they had a stretch of that a couple of years ago, and it was brutal (we have family in Tucson).
  • Hook 'Em 3

19 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

man, i went on vacation and my lawn was green and coming in nicely. now that i'm back, all i see is ruin and destruction. i feel like i need a pack of cigarettes so i can look proper when i'm spraying my backyard down after sunset just to try and stop it cooking.

Green spray paint

E941EFA0-2BB2-4868-BFDB-0D7E3707616A.gif.fd7a03160b61a1117aefc62c4aae8657.gif

• Haha 1