Blastfurnace 2023

Storm the Field

1 hour ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

The affect on mood is so real. It's not depression like SAD, but it's just a continually irritability. Just realized I might need to turn off my weather station because it literally puts me on edge every damn day.

Well, in my case add to it 10 days of constipation with very little relief or action from laxatives, suppositories, and mirolax. 
But at least today’s dose of magnesium citrate is starting a liquid flow.

Am pretty wiped out.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, closetohumping said:

101 out here in California dude

It was hotter when I landed in Burbank an hour ago than when I took off in Austin. Didn’t expect that but at least it cools down here. Looking forward to my first Hollywood Bowl experience tonight. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I've spent the last couple of weeks moving my daughter back up to Upstate NY for school from Texas, where she spent the summer. The week before last through early last week was brutal because it involved moving furniture into a metal container to ship all her shit. She and I drove up separately in her car Wednesday through Friday. Even in Ohio, the heat was remarkable.

Friday afternoon, however, when we hit Cleveland, there must've been a front that had passed through. Since then, the warmest I've experienced was today's high of 77 degrees (a bit muggy). But, yeah, I paid my dues dealing with packing in the heat last weekend but have been really enjoying this short respite--even though we're still not quite done with getting everything into her apartment.

Definitely not looking forward to stepping back into the blast furnace when I fly back Friday evening.

Taking a gander at the latest 15-day forecast:

Good news: I think we're just about done seeing any temps over 101. No more insane heat blasts like last Thursday or Sunday. 

Bad news: Apparently we'll be stuck at 100/77 in perpetuity.

In a normal year, by 9/12, the average temperature range for Houston is 91/71, and the average high and low starts a steady pace of dropping 1 degree every 4.5 days. 

Not saying this is gonna happen, but if we continue on a pace of being consistently 8-9 degrees above average, we won't be done with highs in the 90's until around 10/18. 

Edited by Storm the Field

11 minutes ago, Storm the Field said:

Taking a gander at the latest 15-day forecast:

Good news: I think we're just about done seeing any temps over 101. No more insane heat blasts like last Thursday or Sunday. 

Bad news: Apparently we'll be stuck at 100/77 in perpetuity.

In a normal year, by 9/12, the average temperature range for Houston is 91/71, and the average high and low starts a steady pace of dropping 1 degree every 4.5 days. 

Not saying this is gonna happen, but if we continue on a pace of being consistently 8-9 degrees above average, we won't be done with highs in the 90's until around 10/18. 

Did you tell us something like, "no more 104s from here on out" once?  Just checking.

I am at the point where all of it is lies lies lies until I feel cool temperatures live and in person.  Until that happens...

I Dont Believe You Amazon Studios GIF by Amazon Prime Video

Edited by texasdago

25 minutes ago, Storm the Field said:

Yes, I've been wrong before and will continue to make faulty predictions. I don't have a crystal ball and can only go on what the forecast models are showing. That's why I usually say "should." 

Unfortunately I think the models keep trying to lean on historical data and that data seems to be all kinds of irrelevant this year.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, texasdago said:

Unfortunately I think the models keep trying to lean on historical data and that data seems to be all kinds of irrelevant this year.

This.  Once you get more than 7-10 days out, the model just says "well...here's what USUALLY happens in mid-September."

But "what usually happens" is fucking gonzo, off the table, never to fucking return.  

^

this summer is turning into a season of Seinfeld.  Nothing Happens.  And it's not funny.  

"Well, what if something happens?  Like rain or a cold front or a hurricane?" 

NO!  Nothing Happens!

"Then why am I living here?"

Because the simulation won't let us out.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, YGIFS said:

this summer is turning into a season of Seinfeld.  Nothing Happens.  And it's not funny. 

That's exactly it.  What's not funny is we can't look at a point in time and say, it will get better.  We don't know.  It's like Harvey... it rained and rained and rained and I kept thinking, "just make it stop" but it wouldn't stop.  This is Heatrvey or Hotrveay ot Harvenusey or who cares!?

Just now, texasdago said:

That's exactly it.  What's not funny is we can't look at a point in time and say, it will get better.  We don't know.  It's like Harvey... it rained and rained and rained and I kept thinking, "just make it stop" but it wouldn't stop.  This is Heatrvey or Hotrveay ot Harvenusey or who cares!?

This is Texas.  We only have three settings: broil, drown, or freeze.  Pick one.  Shit, maybe pick all three in a given year.

Sorry, the "tolerable and pleasant" setting on Texas has been broken for years, and the replacement part is on back-order until....indefinitely.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, texasdago said:

We ordered that cognac when we got bottle service in Atlanta awhile back and partied with the Hawks cheerleaders.  Shit was lit, yo.  

Just now, CooterBrown said:

The 29 hottest daily global temperatures on record were all in July 2023.

https://climate.copernicus.eu/july-2023-sees-multiple-global-temperature-records-broken

Yes, but that 29 day trend fails to take into account is that there was an Ice Age 50,000 years ago so this is just nature balancing itself out.  And by balance, I mean starting 5% of our forests on fire just to see what it feels like.  A little game it likes to call "just the tip"

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

This is Texas.  We only have three settings: broil, drown, or freeze.  Pick one.  Shit, maybe pick all three in a given year.

Sorry, the "tolerable and pleasant" setting on Texas has been broken for years, and the replacement part is on back-order until....indefinitely.

Hey now, there are plenty of days when the weather is "tolerable and pleasant," which are usually when we have the mass shootings.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

We ordered that cognac when we got bottle service in Atlanta awhile back and partied with the Hawks cheerleaders.  Shit was lit, yo.  

I think it comes in a little velvet bag that you can put on your junk when the grid goes down in January... edit: February.

Why Dont We Have Both GIF

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1

1 hour ago, Orange&White said:

Since 2011 is our closest comparator, here is the months of September and October of 2011 at Mabry.

image.thumb.jpeg.964bb025d06ad3c81704a9c703d5294f.jpeg

Avg ABIA temps per weather underground:

June 2011 - 83.88

June 2023 - 82.43

July 2011 - 85.79

July 2023 - 86.81

August 2011 - 88.60

August 2023 (so far) - 89.81

So, this is the hottest July and August ever. The August average will dip a bit to close the month but will still eclipse 2011's mark. June was hotter in 2011. We'll see what happens in September.

• Rage+1 1

2 minutes ago, Storm the Field said:

Some rather weird days in that chart. High of 99 on 9/24, but a front apparently passed through and dropped the low to 59 that evening. The next day was 105. 

No. 59 was almost assuredly the low am temp from the morning of 9/24. 

But, yeah, it being 59 one morning then 105 the next day is downright bizarre.