Things not going well at Churchill Downs: horses dying.

Parliament

After the deaths of a dozen horses at Churchill Downs in less than a month, the Horseracing Integrity and Safety Authority — or HISA — is holding an emergency summit at its headquarters in Lexington.
In a news conference Tuesday afternoon, Lisa Lazarus, HISA’s chief executive officer, said the results of the necropsies of all 12 horses aren’t in yet.

“But they will use whatever they have at their disposal, and determine whether or not there's anything missing, particularly like training records or veterinary records that preceded the horse racing of the track,” Lazarus said.

In response to a reporter’s question, Lazarus said HISA does not have the authority to halt racing at Churchill, but they can keep the track from exporting their signal to other tracks. Lazarus said she’s confident they’ll get the information they need to make the proper recommendation.

“We have the best people in place with the greatest amount of access and knowledge to kind of come together which is why we have this summit to make the right decision going forward. And so I really trust this group implicitly,” she said.

Churchill’s spring meet resumes Thursday. Lazarus said she believes if the investigation concludes that racing at Churchill should be halted, track officials would do so.

https://www.lpm.org/news/2023-05-30/emergency-summit-on-churchill-downs-horse-deaths-underway-in-lexington

42 minutes ago, South Austin said:

I once ate braised horse in Verona, Italy, and it was fucking delicious, so this thread hits close to home.

Had an econ teacher from Sweden that used to talk about growing up with horse sammiches.  

1 hour ago, Parliament said:

said the results of the necropsies of all 12 horses aren’t in yet.

I'll save you some time.  They all died from an overdose of pentobarbital.  Coincidentally they all had broken ankles or legs.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Lat22 said:

I'll save you some time.  They all died from an overdose of pentobarbital.  Coincidentally they all had broken ankles or legs.

I know that was a joke, and it was a good one that I enjoyed, but there are at least 2 I've heard/read of that were not injured (unless you count death as an injury). 

I was looking for the various accidents for the other 10 which were all racing/training fractures and etc. except for the first of the 12

The first death occurred on April 29. Code of Kings, a 3-year-old gelding, repeatedly kept flipping and broke his neck before a race, his trainer, Tim Glyshaw, told Daily Racing Form. 

csb I grew up on a ranch and we had a stud that we actually bottle-fed as his mare died when she foaled but he was a high spirited mean dumbass anyway: When we penned cattle on our place we would erect a wing out of Powder River fence panels in the trap or small pasture next to the working pens to help funnel cattle into them, and the last panel was anchored with a few t-posts, so we left it out there semi-permanent. So picture a lone Powder River fence panel out in the middle of a 100 acre pasture, and our prize stud stuck his neck into it one day and then broke it and killed himself. Also had to euthanize my jr. rodeo calf horse after he just stepped wrong when I was practicing on him and that is pretty much why I quit that sport although I also got my driver's license around then also /csb 

Panicky, fragile animals, some of it bred into them. I don't know why racehorse owners don't just buy race cars and blow those up instead. Probably cheaper.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

KY is so fucked up that they've asked California for help with this shit.  

We had a ton of deaths a few years back, and that's slowed down considerably out here, so KY wants to know how it was done.

The GF's daughter has full-time employment in this horrible industry, and makes a VERY nice living.  She lives on the farm as the GM, and has about 150 horses under her care.  It's a dirty business.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, hookemATL said:

What a dumb fucking “sport”

weird question:  do they just cremate/bury the horses or do they actually get processed into useful items like dog food/etc.?

They bury them outside the racetrack at an angle so they have a view of the paddock. #whoop

Obligatory horse steak picture from a restaurant near Lake Garda

IMG_9886.JPG

Edited by texasdago
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1
  • Drool 2

Elaine, "Hey, how'd my horse do?"

Letts, "He had to be shot!"  

Wasn't there an HBO series that looked like it was gonna be great with Dennis Farrina about a horse track and organized crime?  But they had to shut the show down because they killed a bunch of horses IRL on set?  

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Elaine, "Hey, how'd my horse do?"

Letts, "He had to be shot!"  

Wasn't there an HBO series that looked like it was gonna be great with Dennis Farrina about a horse track and organized crime?  But they had to shut the show down because they killed a bunch of horses IRL on set?  

Luck.  Dustin Hoffman as well.

• Hook 'Em 3

imo, easily the stupidest and most pathetic fucking "sport."  absolutely hate everything about it and refuse to watch that garbage.

this very noble and principled take brought to you by nobody gives a shit.

but i'm right.  it's awful and i feel horrible for the horses.

• Hook 'Em 8

21 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

There was a netflix doc series a while ago about corruption in sports.  One of the episodes dealt with dressage horses.  The owners would end up in a money pinch and have their horses killed in order to collect insurance payouts.

If it was a sailboat you could just sink it.

Also, Dressage horses? something something undefeated.

• Hook 'Em 1

38 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

There was a netflix doc series a while ago about corruption in sports.  One of the episodes dealt with dressage horses.  The owners would end up in a money pinch and have their horses killed in order to collect insurance payouts.

Whole family on my dad's side raised, marketed, and sold quarterhorses.  A few still do.  Summer vacations were always either Bandera of Riodoso, NM.  Two places within driving distances that have Q-horse tracks.  

What's the old saying in ranching that applies to horses:  how do you make a million?  Start with five.....

The horse is the cheapest part of the equation.  Truck.  Tack.  Vet bills.  Land and pens.  Trailer and food.  It's ridiculous.  

1 minute ago, Kennythetiger said:

Friend of mine has gone several times. Says there’s a reason that it’s never shown on tv. 

It's a bunch of heathens drunk out of their minds.  It's the 15th green on the Waste Mgmt open.  Everyone smuggles in booze and parties their asses off.  

28 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Whole family on my dad's side raised, marketed, and sold quarterhorses.  A few still do.  Summer vacations were always either Bandera of Riodoso, NM.  Two places within driving distances that have Q-horse tracks.  

What's the old saying in ranching that applies to horses:  how do you make a million?  Start with five.....

The horse is the cheapest part of the equation.  Truck.  Tack.  Vet bills.  Land and pens.  Trailer and food.  It's ridiculous.  

Wasn't the movie Casey's Shadow with Walter Mathau based on Qtr Horse racing?  Good little movie. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

It’s an awful sport and I don’t support it, horses are amazing animals and have made human life more enjoyable and easier, they are truly sentient, deserve better, their trust in people is misplaced and watching them run is so beautiful and jaw dropping inspiring.

• Hook 'Em 3

By the way: y'all won't believe who has been a fixture on the CA horse racing board 

203753__56258.1559678056.500.500.jpg?c=2

Bo Derek, the film and television actress, longtime horsewoman and advocate for multiple worthy causes, has agreed to join the board of the Del Mar Thoroughbred Club, it has been announced.

Derek, a staunch horse welfare proponent who used her role as a commissioner of the California Horse Racing Board between 2008 and 2015 to enhance safety and animal rights in the Thoroughbred industry, will attend her first DMTC board meeting the day after Del Mar opens its 79th summer season on Wednesday, July 18.

“We are absolutely delighted to have a woman of Bo's background and stature join us at Del Mar,” said DMTC's CEO Joe Harper. “She brings a lifetime of knowledge and a world of care and concern for the horse with her and that puts her right in line with our priorities here. She'll be a wonderful addition to our leadership ranks.”

Derek will join Harper and seven other members on the DMTC board, which is chaired by business executive and horse owner David Batchelder. The Del Mar Thoroughbred Club has overseen racing at the scenic seaside track just north of San Diego since 1970.

“I am very happy to be joining the Del Mar Thoroughbred Club,” Derek said. “They are my favorite people in horse racing and I'm glad to join in as they continue to elevate the sport that I love.”

California native Derek, who currently resides on a farm in Santa Ynez she shares with her longtime partner, actor John Corbett, and a string of Lusitano and Andalusian horses, became an international sensation when she was one of the stars of the hit romantic comedy “10” in 1979.  Subsequently, she acted in dozens of feature films and television shows, made time to advocate for a series of personal and professional causes (notably those involving animals and wounded veterans) and opened a line of pet care products called “Bo Derek Pet Care.”

The center of her focus often came back to horses, as might be expected of a horse lover and riding enthusiast since childhood. She became a spokesperson for the Animal Welfare Institute's campaign to end horse slaughter through passage of federal and state legislation. In 2002 she published her autobiography entitled “Riding Lessons: Everything That Matters in Life I Learned from Horses.”

During her years on the California Horse Racing Board, she was instrumental in several horse-friendly changes and programs, key among them adjustments to jockey riding crops and their use. In 2009 she worked with the riders and Del Mar Thoroughbred Club to introduce softer, padded riding crops at the track that took the sting out of their use. In 2014 she headed a CHRB committee that established a rule to limit the number of times the riding crop could be used during a race. In both cases, the changes have become part of standard procedure for jockeys in the state.

Besides her work in the Thoroughbred industry, Derek has carved out a special niche for the nation's veterans and has earned awards and honors from the Veteran's Administration for her work with disabled veterans. The Special Forces Association threw her a special salute by naming her an honorary Green Beret.

Additionally, she served as a Trustee of The John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts, as Special Envoy of the Secretary of State for Wildlife Trafficking and is currently a board member of WildAid, a group that works to reduce the use of wildlife products. Further, she also is involved with several animal rights organizations.

Del Mar's 36-day summer season runs from July 18 to September 3.

Edited by Gil Bang