Donald Trump indicted (again), the 1000% apolitical news thread (again)

Beau Vine

Is Donald Trump being indicted for espionage (among other things) a relevant Current Events topic?  

160 members have voted

1. 1. Is Donald Trump being indicted for espionage (among other things) a relevant Current Events topic?

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/17/23 at 06:51 PM

4 hours ago, 'stache said:

BLACK [LIVES MATTER] LAB HAS WEAPONIZED GURLYHORNS TO PROMOTE DRAG QUEENS AND TAKE YOUR GUNS NOBODY HAS EVER DONE THAT ON A MESSAGE BOARD AND SHOULD BE HUNG WHICH SOME SAY ABOUT ME BUT ITS MORE ABOUT MY HANDS ASK STORMY DANIELS UNDER OATH WOKE MIND VIRUS!

I feel like I have been groomed now.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

i guess the only thing i have to ask is what is accomplished by discussing political news in DT?

i mean, there is virtually no fucking way to separate the politics from a former president being indicted. we can talk about nixon now in DT because it's ancient fucking history. this is real time history happening in front of our eyes, and it's highly politicized. 

sometimes a news story is just a political news story, and it cannot be separated.

what's accomplished by having a "news only" indictment of a former president thread? what is it you'll get here you won't get in CR?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

19 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

If you can’t laugh at this your brain is broken. It’s also kind of scary; but Democrat or Republican, communist or Christian white nationalist… I don’t know how the sheer stupidity isn’t hysterical.

Hysterical and incredibly depressing. Forget the politics of it: we elected someone who has publicly displayed that kind of sheer stupidity and recklessness for decades. 

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, royiv said:

Based on the poll, it appears that an overwhelming majority believe that it is appropriate to discuss this as a current event. Sometimes it feels like the moderation in DT is to protect the feelings of a vocal minority. 

who exactly do you think is being protected here? what agenda is being pursued?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

20 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Sometimes people need to read things they don't want to.

Also, this. A lot of posters have recused themselves--or never visit--CR (some for valid sanity-related reasons, others because they know there's no real defense for things like this) and live in purposely built information bubbles. If they want to stay sheltered from this, I know a much shittier website they could visit. No, it's not the moderators' jobs to pull people out of their bubbles, but I don't think it serves anybody's interest to ignore it on the primary news forum. People who really wish to bury their heads in the sand still can.

Edited by aggie08
  • Like 5

Just now, YGIFS said:

I love you guys.  But sometimes this site is an embarrassment to the University of Texas. Beyond just me and my shit.  Fucking A, get it together folks.  The former President of the United States sold top secret documents to foreign governments.  That’s sort of A news story.  A money laundering, ponZi scheme real estate guru used to post on here and we can’t really discuss his legal cover by the former AG of Texas because it hurts feelings.  I get not making everything political when there’s no need to.  But how much cover do we need to provide for stupid people?

I don’t know.  I’ll take not saying anything about this crooked fuck vs txags where he’s openly cheered on.  

• Hook 'Em 2

21 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Sometimes people need to read things they don't want to.

maybe. maybe not. 

it's not surly's job to be the arbiter of information that people need to read. we aren't over here trying to determine what is newsworthy and what isn't.

we're over here trying to keep politics confined to the politics board because it infects and destroys other boards that let it.

if a news event is political, it should be discussed as political, not as a "news" topic so some of you so-called sneaky fuck trolls can try to get a rise out of each other like my teenage boys. yall do that to each other on dt over and over again. "totally not a political post but totally a political post" is a thing. yall do it for reasons that are beyond me. there are no tangible reasons for yall to fight like idiots over the forum where a discussion occurs. 

why does it fucking matter so much?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

7 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

The more people know that the former leader of 330 million Americans felt it was important to impress Kid Rock with classified information, the better.

Also, it's funny that he felt like he had to impress Kid Rock.  Who the fuck does that, outside of some 50-something washed up white trash trailer park resident?

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

6 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

maybe. maybe not. 

it's not surly's job to be the arbiter of information that people need to read. we aren't over here trying to determine what is newsworthy and what isn't.

we're over here trying to keep politics confined to the politics board because it infects and destroys other boards that let it.

if a news event is political, it should be discussed as political, not as a "news" topic so some of you so-called sneaky fuck trolls can try to get a rise out of each other like my teenage boys. yall do that to each other on dt over and over again. "totally not a political post but totally a political post" is a thing. yall do it for reasons that are beyond me. there are no tangible reasons for yall to fight like idiots over the forum where a discussion occurs. 

So, what I'm getting is....this thread is worthless without bitch tits?

Ok then.....

FH4apPGXIAUW4jj.jpg:large

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It doesn’t matter in the end.  It’s a message board website. We could all use a little more clarity in life.  What happens next to this country though is going to slightly alter our perspective.  I’d highly recommend creating an active violence forum. 

20 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

who exactly do you think is being protected here? what agenda is being pursued?

The trumpers and gun nuts get treated with kid gloves around here. As to the agenda, I have no idea. It makes no sense that certain current events can't be discussed on the current events board. I see mods posting to just ignore or report posts that they don't like, yet also feel like they have to nuke threads on a pretty arbitrary interpretation of what is or is not a current event.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

7 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Nobody, I just think it's funny that he was trying to impress Kid Rock, and now it's coming back to bite him in the ass legally.

lol, yes, true

6 minutes ago, royiv said:

The trumpers and gun nuts get treated with kid gloves around here. As to the agenda, I have no idea. It makes no sense that certain current events can't be discussed on the current events board. I see mods posting to just ignore or report posts that they don't like, yet also feel like they have to nuke threads on a pretty arbitrary interpretation of what is or is not a current event.

nobody is treated with kid gloves around here. there's some of us doing the best we can to keep a in a forum and b in b forum but sometimes you get a + b. 

i know the school shooting shit makes some people mad, but there's a difference between the news of a live event (ie, a CURRENT current event happening in real time) and political news. there's a political angle to mass shootings, yes, and that's covered in CR. believe it or not, my default is to do nothing. if that's "kid gloves" then i guess that's kid gloves. i'd rather err on the side of nothing than get in a pissing match with yall.

with paxton and trump prosecution stuff though, there's just no viable way to separate it.

1 minute ago, Grade of D as in David said:

I think a bunch of people are pissed that the DT isn't apolitical, but that it is political, but only one side is allowed to be represented in those threads. Do you not recall all of the bullshit that was allowed in DT about COVID and BLM?

yes, but again, those are news events happening in real time, not a criminal indictment. 

it's like covering the oj chase and the oj trial. two different elements. the news story of the slow chase, then the political aspects that came out during the trial. same with blm. real protests happening in real time in cities across the nation and people dying globally with covid. you could conceivably separate news from politics, but those threads moved real fast and of course we couldn't manage to keep all that shit segregated. 

again, i'd rather err doing nothing than err doing something when it comes to moderator action around here.

22 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

maybe. maybe not. 

If the owners of this site want actual free discourse on political topics to be confined to the CR, then rep needs to be disabled in the CR. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

lol, yes, true

nobody is treated with kid gloves around here. there's some of us doing the best we can to keep a in a forum and b in b forum but sometimes you get a + b. 

i know the school shooting shit makes some people mad, but there's a difference between the news of a live event (ie, a CURRENT current event happening in real time) and political news. there's a political angle to mass shootings, yes, and that's covered in CR. believe it or not, my default is to do nothing. if that's "kid gloves" then i guess that's kid gloves. i'd rather err on the side of nothing than get in a pissing match with yall.

with paxton and trump prosecution stuff though, there's just no viable way to separate it.

So you don't want to get in a pissing match about current political events, but do nothing about the shooting threads?

That sounds dangerously similar to one political party, that will not be mentioned.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

maybe. maybe not. 

People just want other people to care as much as they do about certain stories, or in general care as much and want to discuss politics as much as they themselves do. They also want to magnify any news/story that props up their own party or makes the other party look bad. 

It isn't enough to discuss it in the CR because they know a lot of posters are never going to post in the CR or even read the posts there. 

I think it's reasonable for there to be a thread for this in DT. I also wouldn't want to attempt to moderate that thread. 

At the end of the day "no politics" is maybe the most common rule (outside of obvious shit like no racism) across any internet forum, chat room/server etc. It's a rule on basically every subreddit I've ever been subscribed to. If the mods/site owner wanted they could just delete the CR entirely and then ban anyone talking about politics in the other forums. Or make a separate website. But that seems a tad unreasonable. 

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, Eastwood said:

If the owners of this site want actual free discourse on political topics to be confined to the CR, then rep needs to be disabled in the CR. 

Lol I've thought this for awhile.

44 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

Because otherwise I'm going to have to sue everybody for punitive damages that you're giving me for violating my free speech

• Haha 1
  • Drool 1

21 minutes ago, Eastwood said:

It's a good idea in theory, but you know some choads are just gonna neg bomb everything someone posted in every forum based on a comment they made in CR. Hell it's already happening.

• Rage+1 1

22 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

it's like covering the oj chase and the oj trial. two different elements. the news story of the slow chase, then the political aspects that came out during the trial. same with blm. real protests happening in real time in cities across the nation and people dying globally with covid. you could conceivably separate news from politics, but those threads moved real fast and of course we couldn't manage to keep all that shit segregated

Oh spare us.  There were a lot of temp bans handed out in the Covid thread.  I got one of them for posting one of Trump's tweets with no commentary.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

We are discretely preventing a multi theater war in Europe and Asia.  Whilst looking like a fucking clown show Republic with our former Head of State about to be tried for selling state secrets to Islamic despots and Kid Rock.  But it’s not news because it may hurt blacklab’s feelings.

you fucking children.  Goddamn disgrace to UT

Fify

Just now, VivaNaranja said:

It's a good idea in theory, but you know some choads are just gonna neg bomb everything someone posted in every forum based on a comment they made in CR. Hell it's already happening.

Which blacklab said is already a bannable offense so your point is invalid. 

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

We are discretely preventing a multi theater war in Europe and Asia.  Whilst looking like a fucking clown show Republic with our former Head of State about to be tried for selling state secrets to Islamic despots and Kid Rock.  But it’s not news because it may hurt Pilots Error’s feelings.

you fucking children.  Goddamn disgrace to UT

A former head of state who was impeached for attempting to blackmail Ukraine and stain the credibility of President Zelensky, no less. 

44 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

The more people know that the former leader of 330 million Americans felt it was important to impress Kid Rock with classified information, the better.

Also, it's funny that he felt like he had to impress Kid Rock.  Who the fuck does that, outside of some 50-something washed up white trash trailer park resident?

And you feel there are people that wouldn't be aware of these happenings were it not for a post on the Daily Texan board at surlyhorns.com?

• Beau Vine changed the title to Donald Trump indicted (again), the 1000% apolitical news thread (again)
  • blacklab locked this topic