"I’m on Threads" meta thread

'stache

4 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Lol

image.thumb.png.b073950c066773a2ce193112acf85e0f.png

Seems like SHE gets it.

But the thing she doesn't get is that SHE is irrelevant.  Elmo doesn't get it, and Elmo is calling ALL the shots.  The entire value of the enterprise is the "Twitter community," which is created and owned by the individual Twitter users.  If they choose to get up and leave, Twitter is fucking worthless.  They can create their community somewhere else, more quickly than you can imagine (Shaggy to Surly).

Fuck, it's what any pastor worth his salt has known for centuries: "the church has left the building."  Doesn't matter how big the cathedral, how cool the stained glass.  That's just a platform for the community.  If everyone gets up from those pews and goes to a new place, all you've got is a big empty building with great echoing acoustics.  

Edited by Brisketexan
  • Hook 'Em 4

5 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Lol

369 characters

I honestly don't know what the character limit on threads is or that it matters at all but something about the "here is what Twitter is all about" messaging in a Melvillian missive with multiple two-em dashes - ok Linda

ca2ac3e4-d2ad-4e21-be48-e8b0c20b58f6_tex

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

8 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Seems like SHE gets it.

But the thing she doesn't get is that SHE is irrelevant.  Elmo doesn't get it, and Elmo is calling ALL the shots.  The entire value of the enterprise is the "Twitter community," which is created and owned by the individual Twitter users.  If they choose to get up and leave, Twitter is fucking worthless.  They can create their community somewhere else, more quickly than you can imagine (Shaggy to Surly).

Fuck, it's what any pastor worth his salt has known for centuries: "the church has left the building."  Doesn't matter how big the cathedral, how cool the stained glass.  That's just a platform for the community.  If everyone gets up from those pews and goes to a new place, all you've got is a big empty building with great echoing acoustics.  

Nah, she's just Musk's lackey. The key phrase in that pathetic post is that users can "share their opinions" and is a place where "YOU can be real." Not to mention the "public square" which is an elmo phrase for his "free speech absolutism" which we all know is bullshit. It's a place where a user can proudly "share their opinion" that COVID was fake, that Russia attacked Ukraine to kill Nazis, and that the president isn't really the president because voting machines rigged an election (except where their side won of course). It's where "YOU can be real" i.e., where you can comfortably be a white supremacism, misogynist, anti-semite, or conspiracy theorist. The "public square" requires that you never "censor" things that are fake and that drive people to attack the capitol and try to execute the speaker of the house and vice president and show up to an ex-presidents residence armed to the hilt. Every word of that post was written by or approved by Elon and is targeted to the exact people he's been targeting all along.  

Edited by 'stache
  • Hook 'Em 4

5 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

369 characters

I honestly don't know what the character limit on threads is or that it matters at all but something about the "here is what Twitter is all about" messaging in a Melvillian missive with multiple two-em dashes - ok Linda

ca2ac3e4-d2ad-4e21-be48-e8b0c20b58f6_tex

actually the the exact feeling that it is invoking is from when my small company got purchased by gigantic company and then some corporate asshole interloper was trying to do leadership by explaining what our group was all about and how that related to laying people off and trying to take away free parking

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Rage+1 3

2 hours ago, immamac said:

Not really, the growth is going to come from that demographic. It's something that we haven't seen a lot of in a while. When is the last time you saw a new grad post anywhere? I posted on and read surly in college as did a lot of other folks. Those waves of new posters are really few and far between. Not many @Tex48 around here. 

You should set up an hourly process that pushes the most upvoted post of the previous 24 hours (with no dupes) to threads automatically.

Then all these youngsters will see all this threet-worthy content and wonder “Who picks ‘surlyhorns’ as the name of their political news organization?  And why does a political news org occasionally cover the shit out of University of Texas football?”

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

I've seen a few of the usual right wing tweeters try and dip their toes into Threads, and the comments are basically an onslaught of "go back to Twitter."

This thing is gonna work.

Good. For my purposes, Twitter has never been better. The algorithm is working for me and I’m getting a ton of good shit about #FranceHasFallen from sources that I like.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Goredho said:

You should set up an hourly process that pushes the most upvoted post of the previous 24 hours (with no dupes) to threads automatically.

Then all these youngsters will see all this threet-worthy content and wonder “Who picks ‘surlyhorns’ as the name of their political news organization?  And why does a political news org occasionally cover the shit out of University of Texas football?”

working on this already with @BornAndRaised

• Hook 'Em 1

I think twitter will survive but will ultimately be a successful version of what parlour/truth whatever attempts at a "free speech" (i.e., lies and disinformation) platform that a particularly political side just loves. Corporations, celebs, etc., I think will ultimately transition to Threads, and will do so quickly. We've already seen screenshots of advertisements next to the latest call for political violence from the usual players, thinks companies would surely like to avoid if at all possible. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Macklemore said:

Sources that don’t try to hide the real problem behind what’s happening in France. Immigrants from an alien culture and religion that shit on the country that has given them everything. 

Just now, 'stache said:

I think twitter will survive but will ultimately be a successful version of what parlour/truth whatever attempts at a "free speech" (i.e., lies and disinformation) platform that a particularly political side just loves. Corporations, celebs, etc., I think will ultimately transition to Threads, and will do so quickly. We've already seen screenshots of advertisements next to the latest call for political violence from the usual players, thinks companies would surely like to avoid if at all possible. 

Haha, yup, twitter will survive, for people who want to live in their made-up bubbles.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, 'stache said:

this feels right. like a more politicized version of the @aol.com e-mail domain for the '20s

• Hook 'Em 1

Some annoying things on Threads so far for me....

1. No web browser interface so far
  2. Threads don't seem to be in chronological order like the way I like to view things
  3. I keep seeing Threads of people I don't even follow because of replies of people I do follow.  This is especially annoying when you follow a chick who has an OF page and they start promoting other chicks and that's all you see.
  • Hook 'Em 1

39 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

I've seen a few of the usual right wing tweeters try and dip their toes into Threads, and the comments are basically an onslaught of "go back to Twitter."

This thing is gonna work.

22 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Haha, yup, twitter will survive, for people who want to live in their made-up bubbles.

They wanted their "fRee SpeEcH aBsoLutiSm," they got it.  You've got your room where everyone an say the N-word and call middle easterners ragheads and blame COVID on a jewish conspiracy by people who stole the election using Italian satellites....enjoy.  As for the rest of us, who, ummm, aren't into such things.....

ImmediateSpryBettong-max-1mb.gif

9 minutes ago, speed817 said:

I keep seeing Threads of people I don't even follow because of replies of people I do follow.  This is especially annoying when you follow a chick who has an OF page and they start promoting other chicks and that's all you see.

Complaining about too many attractive women who get naked.  Yeah....that checks out.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Neonmoon said:

Lol

This reminds me of one of my first jobs during the dotcom days.

Excited to join and arrive on the first day.

"Where's Brad?" "Oh, he left."

"What about David? I interviewed with him also." "He's gone too."

*ive-made-a-huge-mistake face*

• Haha 3

Twitter has roughly 300 million users

Instagram has 2 Billion users. You can create a Thread account by one click of a button and transfer over Instagram profile to your pre-saved username. 

30 million signed up by mid-morning

The writing is on the wall. 

• Hook 'Em 1

45 minutes ago, speed817 said:

1. No web browser interface so far
  2. Threads don't seem to be in chronological order like the way I like to view things
  3. I keep seeing Threads of people I don't even follow because of replies of people I do follow.  This is especially annoying when you follow a chick who has an OF page and they start promoting other chicks and that's all you see.

I agree with everything you said here. There's one important caveat. Ita day one. The head of Instagram was answering questions on threads and already said many of these features are forth coming. I think it's gonna be great. The one thing this has over other twitter powers is name. People know who Zuckerberg is, they know what Instagram is. Its familiar.

3 hours ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

I feel like BBS is an internet relic that us olds like but for whatever reason doesn’t resonate with the youngs.

2 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

Message Boards were a Gen X thing. I think the youths are more TikTok/Insta/now Threads 

And yet reddit exists.  It's a moderated Usenet on acid, which itself was dial-up BBSes on acid.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, Helobious said:

Did some googling. I had no idea instagram was in the billions of users. I would’ve guessed in the low hundreds of millions. I knew Facebook YouTube & WhatsApp were king but Instagram is a pretty close 4th. I didn’t think it was bigger than tiktok. I just think the mistake everyone here is making is that instagram user = threads user. I have an instagram, never had a Twitter, see no use to join a Twitter-like platform now. I’m sure there’s millions more like me. So in terms of that kind of service I don’t think anyone will ever unseat twitter

You do know that twitter is barely hanging in at the #14 or #15 spot on social media platforms by size, right?  Twitter punches above its weight class in terms of reach/impact, but only as long as the major content producers hang around.

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, atomheartbevo said:

You do know that twitter is barely hanging in at the #14 or #15 spot on social media platforms by size, right?  Twitter punches above its weight class in terms of reach/impact, but only as long as the major content producers hang around.

That's it, the bolded right there.

As the real content producers go, so goes the platform.  Sure, if catturd hangs around Twitter.....the people who love catturd's content will stay around.  Cool.  Anybody want to go to a party where catturd and his pals are hanging around?  Yeah, didn't think so.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

Elon thinks he has something special in the Twitter platform.  He does not.  Twitter is just some code and a scheme of visual organization.  That can be replicated (or topped/improved upon) by any number of rivals....especially one that already has a track record in social media.  He still hasn't grasped that what makes Twitter valuable is its user base.  Take that away, and it's just an empty shell.  Just like Hornfans, Shaggybevo, and even Surlyhorns (e.g., take our brilliant, witty, and funny takes away from Surly, and this site is an empty shell with some sad dude posting to himself amid the leftover scat pics, version 2.0).

1 hour ago, Neonmoon said:

Lol

Musk still does not get that twitter users are the product and advertisers are the customer after all this time, and I'm beginning to wonder if Yaccarino understands that Musk made changes that fucked with the twitter "community" that she is praising, and that he injected toxicity into that community.

1 hour ago, RPM said:

Every guy over 50

Aw jeez, not this shit again! | Maikeru Ronin | Flickr

Season 9 Thank You GIF by The Office

Not quite 50, but the sentiment is there.

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

10 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Twitter has roughly 300 million users

Instagram has 2 Billion users. You can create a Thread account by one click of a button and transfer over Instagram profile to your pre-saved username. 

30 million signed up by mid-morning

The writing is on the wall. 

That’s seems crazy to me based on the cultural influence of Twitter. Never imagined it was that small compared to the other social media platform. Another advantage for threads is that they can moderate all they want and the whiners can stick to Twitter. Advertisers will go with the obvious choice of a moderated place that roots out the truly awful stuff, when the critical mass of users arrives.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Musk still does not get that twitter users are the product and advertisers are the customer after all this time, and I'm beginning to wonder if Yaccarino understands that Musk made changes that fucked with the twitter "community" that she is praising, and that he injected toxicity into that community.

Yaccarino understands it.  Yaccarino has been put in nominal command of the German army after its defeat in the Battle of the Bulge....but the command is only nominal as the fuhrer in his bunker is still calling all of the shots, insanely and as disconnected from reality as ever. 

She knows what the problems are.  She knows what needs to be done.  She has zero power to do so.  She's going down with the Wermacht.

• Hook 'Em 3

4 hours ago, huge said:

So now you guys can show me what I am missing on Threads instead of Twitter?

Cool cool...

1 hour ago, RPM said:

Every guy over 50

Aw jeez, not this shit again! | Maikeru Ronin | Flickr

Somewhat this.  I am over 50, but have been in the IT/tech world for a long...well I'm over 50.  I'm also pretty convinced social media and our slot machine phones are the devil.  Battling it with my kids these days.  The addictive nature of all this shit is unreal.  Now to browse surly while being a hypocrite.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

The addictive nature of all this shit is unreal.  Now to browse surly while being a hypocrite.

There is a difference my friend. Posting is Surly is posting in the Circle of Trust.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

There is definitely a market for that type of platform, and under other circumstances someone could carve out a decent niche as a better / more well known and broad-based version of Truth Social. But Twitter can’t survive as that business because of the price point where Elon bought it.  Twitter owes $1.2 billion per year in debt service alone.  A startup trying to fill this void would have low costs and Series XYZ funding rounds instead of having to pay the banks more money every quarter than the company even generates in cash flow and defaulting on cloud bills as they downsize from operating costs that are way higher than they can afford.

Plus, the Saudis invested $2 billion in it along with Elon, and I kind of doubt they’re going to be cool with the whole, “Hey, new plan guys: we’re going to be worth 10% of what the company was worth when you rolled over your investment … but it will be worth it when you can shitpost all you want!”

That really is the only remaining pitch-point for Twitter, isn't it?  When the super-content creators move over, and people who want to follow their info follow suit, that's Twitter's pitch: "stay, and shitpost all you want!"  There's definitely a group that wants that....but they ain't gonna be big enough to pay the bills that are coming due.

Add to that Twitter simply refusing to take part in the numerous employee arbitrations against it, which will result in judicially enforceable awards....not to mention all the other debts Twitter is stiffing people on....involuntary bankruptcy is a looming possibility leaning into probability..... at which point Immamac and crew should take some of that $3.50 money and buy the entire site out of bankruptcy.  "Twitter - now brought to you by the assholes at Surlyhorns" has a fun ring to it.

Edited by Brisketexan
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Shit like this means there is genuine concern within Twitter.

Yep.  Meta wouldn't have done this on a lark or just for the lulz.  Unlike Twitter, they are an actual business beholden to shareholders & a board of directors.  They are not a billionaire's Tonka truck plaything, or a data mine/disinformation platform for the nations who helped back the billionaire's ownership bid.  As shitty as public companies can be, there is accountability with their structure at least in so far as the people running them have to operate to increase shareholder value.  

So there are sound business reasons for Meta to do this now.  They have done their due diligence and are making a calculated risk that they are going to be able to take a significant part of Twitter's market share.  Enough for this to be a significant new revenue stream that increases stock value and makes the board and shareholders happy.  And whatever that increased Meta stock value is will pretty much entirely come at the expense of Twitter's valuation.

Time will tell if Meta's calculated risk succeeds.  It's not a foregone conclusion either way.  But anyone downplaying the threat to Twitter is wish casting.

Edited by Goredho