Speaking of being offended: cmt pulls Jason aldean video

closetohumping

3 hours ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Correct.  It's part of the country music fantasy world of idyllic small towns while the crime is in the "city."  **cough** dog whistle **cough**

Never mind that in reality there is more crime in smaller towns and rural areas than the big cities.  

I'm not here to white knight for big cities, small towns, or whatever falls in between; but can you substantiate this? I'd figure crime is generally higher in big cities, particularly violent crime. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

Another bro country dipshit enters the fray. 

Even if the song wasn't racist (it is), it's still another neon example of the Anti-Woke Free Speech Brigade attempt at censorship (in this example thru implicit threat of violence) in addition to the tired tactic of conflating one thing no one supports (carjacking) with another thing (cussing a cop) which self-identifying rednecks find funny at a Foxworthy show. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

How do the Surly music experts feel about this cover?

1 hour ago, fattyflattie said:

I had no clue that cover was that old.  

It's older than that - around 93-94 me and my buddy Dan used to do a bluegrass/country cover of "Hand on the Pump" by Cypress Hill  at parties that used the chorus of "Gin and Juice" at the end of the breakdown, and we had friends in common with a couple people in the Gourds. They didn't steal it from us - FWIW I stole the idea from somebody else, and they were friends with people in the Gourds, too. Everybody in town who was remotely live music adjacent was doing the same thing by late winter '93, and everybody knew everybody.
The point is that when the Gourds started working it into their act in 1995 or so, probably a dozen people in town went around grumbling for months that the Gourds stole their party routine. 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Hook 'Em 5

I’m appalled that so many of you jump to black people when “city” is mentioned.  that’s the most racist part of any of this garbage.  plenty of white idiots protesting and cussing cops in the city.  probably more whites than blacks to be honest.  this whole charade is a joke, though.  it’s not a good song, and now we’ve all had to listen to it.  

6 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Jason Isbell is the man-est man in modern country music.  I don't think there's a close second.  Being a man isn't swagger, or jacked up trucks, or being a fucking bully.  It's just standing up and standing tall, over and over, doing the right thing, damn the blowback.  Jason doesn't bitch about conservative pussies hating him -- he just keeps on being Jason Isbell.

But still, Amanda Shires should leave him and run away with me.

• Hook 'Em 8

I don't know who Jake Owen is, and he claims to have a nearly 20 year record deal, but if I were him, I wouldn't be bringing George Jones into the conversation, because unless Owen has some kind of huge breakout, 20 years from now, nobody but his family and a few diehard fans will remember him, while people will still be listening to George Jones.

If it wasn’t for incredible songwriters, I know for a fact I wouldn’t have had the career I have had. I’m forever grateful for the many songwriters that have thought I was worthy enough to record their song. Their idea. I bet George Jones was grateful for Bobby Braddock and Curly Putman for a song called “He Stopped Loving Her Today”…

9 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

Stopped at the Exxon in Crewe, VA (pop. 3fiddy) for caffeine and a piss and snapped this picture of the local culture

IMG_3283.thumb.jpeg.e5f5639a60c1a3d438dc9e06373d40df.jpeg

Is that to be expected in bumfuck america?  Absolutely.

Also, is the angular dick with the infinity sign for balls awesome?  Also absolutely.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

Another bro country dipshit enters the fray. 

Surly has adherents to this mindset.

2 hours ago, Sawbonz said:

Here’s what real country heroes sing about for social commentary 

Lucinda and David Rodriguez covered this at a Woody Hoot night at the Cactus. Last time I remember getting goosebumps.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1