Speaking of being offended: cmt pulls Jason aldean video

closetohumping

3 hours ago, bolverk said:

Not sure. Under different aliases, he's claimed to be some sort of healthcare professional, living in San Antonio and with ties to someone in Uvalde (or knew a CBP guy that responded to the shooting). He may also have some land or a lease somewhere in South Texas because of photos he once showed. That's the extent of my knowledge.

I want to say mini-baller was married to an oil guy from West Texas (Midland?), but I don't know where she claimed to live. I wasn't aware of her first name, but I do also recall someone, somewhere saying she was actually a small Asian guy. That last part may have just been a joke though. No idea.

Mini baller is the single most vile cunt to ever post on the internet.  She doesn't have a single redeeming quality.  C-U-N-T cunt

4 hours ago, Porterhouse said:

Isbell comes across as a mouthy bitch. I cannot stand Aldean and love Isbell. Plenty of good artists don’t write their own music. Also, the courthouse criticism of Aldean is beyond ridiculous. But so are the lyrics and video he’s showing, which are clearly incendiary and he knew it at the time. The entire song, video and subsequent discussion are noise perpetrated by people with far too much time on their hands. But it was started by that ear ringed fake cowboy. 

Isbell would have been far better off never giving this idiot any attention. 

Wut? The lyrics are stupid, but fine for the genre in and of itself. The video juxtaposing BLM protests with the courthouse in which people were lynched is the problem. Not even a dog whistle, it is a direct threat, if you dared support BLM in a small town, we'll lynch you, like the good old days. What other purpose would there be for using that particular location?

Edited by 'stache

2 hours ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

The Asian man thing was a joke. Some poster, I want to say it was @52-80, but maybe that's wrong Introduced himself to another poster at the OTC conference or something like that as mini-baller. 

Please dont tag me in a thread about this flavor of wypipo music. 

• Haha 5

58 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Wut? The lyrics are stupid, but fine for the genre in and of itself. The video juxtaposing BLM protests with the courthouse in which people were lynched is the problem. Not even a dog whistle, it is a direct threat, if you dared support BLM in a small town, we'll lynch you, like the good old days. What other purpose would there be for using that particular location?

I said the video is incendiary. Blaming him for the courthouse is a huge stretch.  I’m not going to argue with you on it because you have your mind made up and I’m not going to waste my time supporting fucking Aldean.

The lyrics are bro country trash. That sub genre needs to go away. 

18 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

I

Aldean needs to go away. The genre itself is mostly garbage but has some redeeming artists like Morgan Wallen and Blake Shelton. Luke Combs is good too but I wouldn’t really classify him as bro country 

33 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

I said the video is incendiary. Blaming him for the courthouse is a huge stretch.  I’m not going to argue with you on it because you have your mind made up and I’m not going to waste my time supporting fucking Aldean.

I'm legitimately curious what this is supposed to mean. The point being made is crystal clear. Are you saying don't blame Aldean because he didn't make the video? Didn't approve the final cut? Didn't know why that courthouse was shown? 

2 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

Mini baller is the single most vile cunt to ever post on the internet.  She doesn't have a single redeeming quality.  C-U-N-T cunt

Counterpoint: I surely would have liked to have seen her naked.

I'm a simple man.  I'm not proud of it, it just is what it is.

CMT was made aware of the courthouse & the history of lynching there, and was like, "Uh, yeah, we weren't aware.  Pardon us while we go do the appropriate thing".

If Jason Aldean was ignorant of the courthouse & the history of lynching there, what's his reaction now that he's been made aware?  Maybe it's already been posted here and I missed it.

I can totally buy that there are places in the south that could be chosen as a set location without knowing it came with a context of slavery and lynchings.  But once you know and no longer have ignorance as a plausible excuse, what then?  That's where your intent gets shown.If Aldean is like, "Fuck all ya'll, I made the video, sorry about your feelings towards ethnic cleansing.  Deal with it!" then he's guilty as charged by the would be woke cancel culture mob and deserves whatever heat he may be feeling.  Again, I don't know if that has been his reaction.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Goredho said:

CMT was made aware of the courthouse & the history of lynching there, and was like, "Uh, yeah, we weren't aware.  Pardon us while we go do the appropriate thing".

If Jason Aldean was ignorant of the courthouse & the history of lynching there, what's his reaction now that he's been made aware?  Maybe it's already been posted here and I missed it.

I can totally buy that there are places in the south that could be chosen as a set location without knowing it came with a context of slavery and lynchings.  But once you know and no longer have ignorance as a plausible excuse, what then?  That's where your intent gets shown.If Aldean is like, "Fuck all ya'll, I made the video, sorry about your feelings towards ethnic cleansing.  Deal with it!" then he's guilty as charged by the would be woke cancel culture mob and deserves whatever heat he may be feeling.  Again, I don't know if that has been his reaction.

The courthouse.  And the fact that there's a famous photo of a lynching taken from the EXACT perspective as his video performance.

The lyrics themselves, and every dog whistle therein.

And, to top it off....the video actually used images from a 1956 Mississippi newspaper exchange regarding Jim fucking Crow, and the White Citizens Council response to the publisher's criticism of same.  Not exactly a random-ass newspaper clipping about a random-ass small town.

Come the fuck on.  Arguing that the video doesn't have a pretty clear racist message is disingenuous bullshit.  But then, disingenuous bullshit is how the dogwhistle racist crowd runs these days: racists, but to huge a bunch of pussies to fucking own it.

• Hook 'Em 5

3 hours ago, troph said:

wow, blast from the past. that was a nutty pair for sure.

3 hours ago, Hate said:

wasn’t mini allegedly attractive?

She was and they were. In addition to being a racist, at one point she got on shaggy and talked about how she wasn't going any further than edging and "panty play" (whatever that means, I  just like the classics) with her husband because he needed to be sharp and focused for work.

Edited by Bozo_Casanova

1 minute ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

She was and they were. In addition to being a racist, at one point she got on shaggy and talked about how she wasn't going any further than edging and "panty play" (whatever that means, I  just like the classics) with her husband because he needed to be sharp and focused for work.

Wasn’t he like blackwater or something? 

7 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

The courthouse.  And the fact that there's a famous photo of a lynching taken from the EXACT perspective as his video performance.

The lyrics themselves, and every dog whistle therein.

And, to top it off....the video actually used images from a 1956 Mississippi newspaper exchange regarding Jim fucking Crow, and the White Citizens Council response to the publisher's criticism of same.  Not exactly a random-ass newspaper clipping about a random-ass small town.

Come the fuck on.  Arguing that the video doesn't have a pretty clear racist message is disingenuous bullshit.  But then, disingenuous bullshit is how the dogwhistle racist crowd runs these days: racists, but to huge a bunch of pussies to fucking own it.

So you recognized this:

Jason-Aldean-Try-That-In-A-Small-Town-vi

From all your lynching coffee table books you have lying around?  Or do you only know lynchings took place there from the context of news reports and this thread?

If none of this had happened and I was visiting that area, I might take a pic of that courthouse, and post it on Facebook or whatever.  Completely clueless as to its history or its association to the south's violent aftermath of slavery.  As soon as someone let me know, though, I'd apologize profusely and take it down.  That's basically what CMT did, and I don't have a problem with that.

So I'm curious if Aldean has publicly responded to it in any way.  I'm not saying he was ignorant and blameless.  I'm saying his reactions to that buildings association with lynchings becoming widely known probably speak volumes.

Has he rescinded the video, apologized and spoken out against racial violence?  If the answer is no, you are likely 100% correct.

35 minutes ago, Goredho said:

2 minutes ago, Goredho said:

So you recognized this:

From all your lynching coffee table books you have lying around?  Or do you only know lynchings took place there from the context of news reports and this thread?

If none of this had happened and I was visiting that area, I might take a pic of that courthouse, and post it on Facebook or whatever.  Completely clueless as to its history or its association to the south's violent aftermath of slavery.  As soon as someone let me know, though, I'd apologize profusely and take it down.  That's basically what CMT did, and I don't have a problem with that.

So I'm curious if Aldean has publicly responded to it in any way.  I'm not saying he was ignorant and blameless.  I'm saying his reactions to that buildings association with lynchings becoming widely known probably speak volumes.

Has he rescinded the video, apologized and spoken out against racial violence?  If the answer is no, you are likely 100% correct.

Is my meter broken? I can't tell if you're being serious here. If you are and have just woken up from a coma, the bolded part does a pretty good job summing up his response.

4 minutes ago, Goredho said:

So you recognized this:

First bolded text -- this book is literally on my coffee table right now:

9780789201232-us.jpg

No, I don't recall it having a specific image of the Macon courthouse, particularly as the most notorious lynching took place years before the topic of that book.  But, yeah...given the message and context of the video, that's perhaps something one should look into before selecting the location.

And as to the second bolded text...he has done no such thing.  CMT took the video off of their airwaves, but as for Aldean, he's done nothing but issue a bullshit statement about how a song all about fucking using violence against people you don't like is about community and some shit.  He's a piece of shit.

• Hook 'Em 1

29 minutes ago, royiv said:

Is my meter broken? I can't tell if you're being serious here. If you are and have just woken up from a coma, the bolded part does a pretty good job summing up his response.

Your meter is broken.  I am absolutely being serious, and I don't mind being educated.  Maybe you have time to tune in fully to every tidbit of every ugly thing in a world overrun with ugliness, but I don't.  That's why I asked what Aldean's response has been.

26 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

First bolded text -- this book is literally on my coffee table right now:

9780789201232-us.jpg

No, I don't recall it having a specific image of the Macon courthouse, particularly as the most notorious lynching took place years before the topic of that book.  But, yeah...given the message and context of the video, that's perhaps something one should look into before selecting the location.

And as to the second bolded text...he has done no such thing.  CMT took the video off of their airwaves, but as for Aldean, he's done nothing but issue a bullshit statement about how a song all about fucking using violence against people you don't like is about community and some shit.  He's a piece of shit.

So no, you don't know of that courthouse's association with slavery and lynchings except from news stories and the context of this thread.  We've both become aware of that courthouse's incendiary history after the video was made and after others made us aware of it.  So let's start there.

Now that Aldean has no possible deniability that he knows of what the location means to African Americans who were targeted for racial violence at this location, and he has not given any sort of honest mea culpa as to his choice of location, then you are 100% correct.  He's a piece of shit.  I'd love to see any statements he's issued where he's defending his choices.  Anyone able to provide that?

He's probably a piece of shit for other reasons, too.  But honestly, you, Royiv and people like you that want to shout down those of us who would be your ally if you took the time to educate us civilly, you just push people like me away.  Instead of one more on your side, you now have one more who sees a bunch of pieces of shit on both sides shouting, "YOUR A PIECE OF SHIT!" to anyone who doesn't 100% agree with them.

So I guess I'll go back to being Switzerland in the culture wars and let you all continue your outrage edging.

bold.jpg

Edited by Goredho
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Goredho said:

Your meter is broken.  I am absolutely being serious, and I don't mind being educated.  Maybe you have time to tune in fully to every tidbit of every ugly thing in a world overrun with ugliness, but I don't.  That's why I asked what Aldean's response has been.

So no, you don't know of that courthouse's association with slavery and lynchings except from news stories and the context of this thread.  We've both become aware of that courthouse's incendiary history after the video was made and after others made us aware of it.  So let's start there.

Now that Aldean has no possible deniability that he knows of what the location means to African Americans who were targeted for racial violence at this location, and he has not given any sort of honest mea culpa as to his choice of location, then you are 100% correct.  He's a piece of shit.  I'd love to see any statements he's issues where he's defending his choices.  Anyone able to provide that?

He's probably a piece of shit for other reasons, too.  But honestly, you, Royiv and people like you that want to shout down those of us who would be your ally if you took the time to educate us civilly, you just push people like me away.  Instead of one more on your side, you now have one more who sees a bunch of pieces of shit on both sides shouting, "YOUR A PIECE OF SHIT!" to anyone who doesn't 100% agree with them.

So I guess I'll go back to being Switzerland in the culture wars and let you all continue your outrage edging.

bold.jpg

How was I not being civil, dude? I wasn't sure if you were being sarcastic since his response has been very well covered in the media and on this thread. I asked if my meter was broken because I thought you might have been saying that tongue-in-cheek due to the aforementioned defiant response he's had to criticism.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Goredho said:

Now that Aldean has no possible deniability that he knows of what the location means to African Americans who were targeted for racial violence at this location, and he has not given any sort of honest mea culpa as to his choice of location, then you are 100% correct.  He's a piece of shit.  I'd love to see any statements he's issues where he's defending his choices.  Anyone able to provide that?

bold.jpg

No be has answered your question because Aldeen hasn’t answered your questions. This is the only response I’ve yet to see, and it’s 6 days old. I won’t paraphrase here. 

https://www.goodmorningamerica.com/amp/culture/story/cmt-pulls-jason-aldean-song-from-rotation-101455661

but he doesn’t reference any of the imagery in his video, other than to say it is “real footage” and “none of the lyrics reference race” while ignoring the fact he interposed his lyrics over the lyrics in his video, which were blm riots. No apology for the courthouse, hurting anyone’s feelings etc. instead he said that criticizing his song is what is really dangerous here. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, royiv said:

How was I not being civil, dude? I wasn't sure if you were being sarcastic since his response has been very well covered in the media and on this thread. I asked if my meter was broken because I thought you might have been saying that tongue-in-cheek due to the aforementioned defiant response he's had to criticism.

My meter is broken, then.  Mea culpa.

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

No be has answered your question because Aldeen hasn’t answered your questions. This is the only response I’ve yet to see, and it’s 6 days old. I won’t paraphrase here. 

https://www.goodmorningamerica.com/amp/culture/story/cmt-pulls-jason-aldean-song-from-rotation-101455661

but he doesn’t reference any of the imagery in his video, other than to say it is “real footage” and “none of the lyrics reference race” while ignoring the fact he interposed his lyrics over the lyrics in his video, which were blm riots. No apology for the courthouse, hurting anyone’s feelings etc. instead he said that criticizing his song is what is really dangerous here. 

Thanks, exactly what I was looking for.

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

These artists think that freedom of speech means freedom from criticism. The comedians too. Sing what you want, say what you want and own it and the criticism that comes with it. They are the real snowflakes.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, troph said:

These artists think that freedom of speech means freedom from criticism. The comedians too. Sing what you want, say what you want and own it and the criticism that comes with it. They are the real snowflakes.

And, to add to this, empathy and self reflection equals weakness to these types of people. 

• Hook 'Em 1

46 minutes ago, royiv said:

And, to add to this, empathy and self reflection equals weakness to these types of people. 

Emphathy and self reflection are power not weakness, as evident by the impact it has on others around you. I’m so tired of all the toxicity. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Yeah….I mean, I thought that’s what I conveyed pretty plainly.
And don’t think I don’t notice how most folks so intent on finding some basis to give Aldean the benefit of the doubt skip right over the newspaper pages featured in the video. The ones literally related to a man who “tried that in a small town” in 1956 (he tried calling out racism and segregation) and got mercilessly attacked for it. By lots of residents of small towns.
That newspaper is a plain, literally black and white example of what happens when you try to stand up for minorities and oppressed people “in a small town.”
Aldean now knows all of this, and his apology for that is….nowhere to be found. I didn’t post one because there isn’t one. Only excuses. About how a song that is all about wielding weapons against the “other” is really all about “community.”
What horse shit.
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Helobious said:

Aldean needs to go away. The genre itself is mostly garbage but has some redeeming artists like Morgan Wallen and Blake Shelton. Luke Combs is good too but I wouldn’t really classify him as bro country 

Goddamnit what is wrong with you?

Bingo. Aldean fans look at the cover picture on that Civil Rights book and think that the heroes were the cops who had the guns and “power.” Maybe some of those southern cops had “a gun that their grandad gave them.” And they were the embodiment of “You cross that line, it won't take long For you to find out, I recommend you don't Try that in a small town.”
When in reality, the strong people were the men and women marching, KNOWING those cops were gonna beat their asses.
Strength is taking a stand FOR the weak, not using your disproportionate power to crush them if they don’t toe your line.
Take race out of it, and Aldean’s song is just about fucking thugs whooping the asses of “those outsiders.” It’s fucking meathead bullshit.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Helobious said:

Counterpoint that beats your counterpoint:

I don’t even like Shelton that much or country music in general but that’s a great fucking song

The permission of a pledge's premature ejaculation during the extracurricular exchange a frat formal? That constitutes good music?

Real country music is good.

10 minutes ago, Dnaguy said:

The permission of a pledge's premature ejaculation during the extracurricular exchange a frat formal? That constitutes good music?

Weird. Thought by your username it would be the sort of music kink you'd be into.

4 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

My thoughts are the producer damn well know. Aldean, likely didn’t know because he is an idiot. But he knows now, has doubled down, and deserves all the smoke.  He also likely didn’t mind once he found out. Fuck em 

19 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

IMG_5129.thumb.jpeg.73f0724abc613d468e093727ce15929a.jpeg

Qfmft.  Eskimo bros = small town bros 

• Hook 'Em 2

I don’t know what the guy actually believes in his heart, but he’s probably scared shitless that if he backs down and apologizes, even claiming ignorance, that he will get Dixie chicks’d and no more big houses for him. 

at minimum, his career means more to him than doing the right thing.  At worst, he actually either believes it’s not what it really is or the content is the message that he wants out there. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

My thoughts are the producer damn well know. Aldean, likely didn’t know because he is an idiot. But he knows now, has doubled down, and deserves all the smoke.

His fans are talking about him being an outlaw, even though he filmed part of it in front of a fucking courthouse and he defends the police and bitches about people stepping on a flag. All of those things are the exact opposite of being an outlaw.

He and his fans are not that smart, so people should stop overthinking it.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, elfenix said:

what's this new trend of painting your house slate gray?  looks like you're trying to cover fire damage

12 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

It's blowback against the bleached-white "urban farmhouse" look.  Soccer moms don't want to fit in TOO much.

Both look like shit and look cheap, but at least the white makes sense.  Unless you like your house soaking up a lot of heat from the sun.

On 7/21/2023 at 10:29 AM, hayden_horn said:

wait, paul passed away?

hitbyatrain.

i remember meeting them both i want to say at shoal creek saloon. think i met northloop there once. maybe it was the same time

hell, i met you at doc's i want to say. with a bunch of other internet dudes. totally normal stuff.

I wasn’t involved in the Duel at Hancock because 1) I respect the rules and regulations put into place by the Austin Parks Department 2) I expected him to bludgeon me to death with whatever golfsmith knock off Scotty Cameron he had with him

• Haha 1

Jason and his wife are monumental pieces of shit:

https://www.npr.org/2023/07/20/1188966935/jason-aldean-try-that-in-a-small-town-song-video

Country Music Television (CMT) says it will no longer air the music video "Try That In a Small Town" by Jason Aldean after critics of the video said it contained lyrics that glorified gun violence and conveyed traditionally racist ideas.

A CMT spokesperson confirmed the move to NPR on Thursday, but offered no comment on the reasoning.

Since the video's release on Friday, it's emerged as a familiar kind of political litmus test, with interpretations of its message often falling along voting divides.

Here's an overview of the situation:

What is "Try That in a Small Town" about?

Aldean, a 46-year-old country singer from Macon, Ga., first released the song in May, but it wasn't until the release of the video on July 14 — as promotion for his 11th upcoming album — that the discourse ratcheted up.

In a statement released alongside the video, Aldean said the song represents an "unspoken rule" for those raised in small towns: "We all have each other's backs and we look out for each other." The singer is not credited as a writer for the song, as has been the case for most of his 27 hit singles.

Jason Aldean Wants His Music To Speak For Itself

Threats to outsiders (and the implication those outsiders are from cities) are present throughout the song's lyrics, which begin with a list of crimes that might happen in urban settings ("Sucker punch somebody on a sidewalk / carjack an old lady at a red light") then crescendo into the titular chorus:

"Well, try that in a small town / See how far you make it down the road / Around here we take care of our own / You cross that line, it won't take long / For you to find out, I recommend you don't."

Aldean ups the vigilante ante by bridging the second chorus with a reference to gun rights, singing:

"I've got a gun that my granddad gave me / they say one day they're gonna round up. / Well that s*** might fly in the city / good luck / Try that in a small town".

Why is the video so divisive?

Interspersed between shots of Aldean singing are clips of vandalizing, riots and police encounters, much of which is evocative of racial injustice protests.

Some of the scenes bear a Fox News chyron, but others, as some TikTok sleuths have pointed out, appear to be stock footage, in some cases of gatherings from other countries.

But much of the criticism around the video has less to do with these clips than its setting: The Maury County Courthouse building in Columbia, Tenn., which serves as an American-flag-draped backdrop for Aldean and his band.

The landmark was the site of race riots in 1946 as well as a 1927 lynching in which a white mob pulled an 18-year-old black man, Henry Choate, from jail and dragged him through the city by car, according to several media reports, including one detailed account from The Washington Post.

Choate had allegedly confessed to attacking a 16-year-old white girl "to protect his life," even though the girl "could not positively identify him as the assailant," the Post reported.

What is Aldean saying?

On Tuesday, Aldean pushed back hard against accusations he was "pro-lynching," saying such an interpretation "goes too far" and is "dangerous."

"There is not a single lyric in the song that references race or points to it," he wrote on Twitter. "Try That In A Small Town, for me, refers to the feeling of a community that I had growing up, where we took care of our neighbors, regardless of differences of background or belief."

"NO ONE, including me, wants to continue to see senseless headlines or families ripped apart," he wrote.

The production company behind the videos, TackleBox, also defended the video's location as a popular filming spot, telling Entertainment Tonight that any "alternative narrative" about the reasons it was chosen were false.

Aldean has received five Grammy Award nominations (including two for Best Country Album) for his two decades of music depicting rural, blue-collar life. And throughout that success, he's rarely shied away from sharing his right-leaning political views.

His wife, Brittany Aldean, and his sister, Kasi Rosa Wicks, launched a conservative clothing line dedicated to trolling liberals. Aldean defended dressing his children in anti-Joe-Biden attire and himself for wearing blackface as part of a 2015 Halloween costume. He was spotted golfing alongside Donald Trump and delivered an impromptu performance at the former president's Mar-a-Lago resort.

But, at other times, the singer has tried to walk a more nuanced line toward politics, perhaps most memorably after surviving the 2017 mass shooting at a Las Vegas music festival.

Aldean was performing on stage as the night's closing act when the shooting began. Six months later, he tiptoed through the refreshed gun control debate, saying in an interview that tragedies shouldn't be used as fodder for political arguments, but ultimately agreed that it was "too easy to get guns" in the U.S..

How are other people reacting?

Gun control advocates are among the song's loudest critics, saying "Try That in a Small Town" glorifies a dangerous eye-for-an eye ethos.

Shannon Watts, founder of the group Moms Demand Action, called it an "ode to a sundown town" that suggested "people be beaten or shot for expressing free speech."

Others said the song's hints at violence were clearly racial dog whistles, zeroing in on the song's portrayal of protests like flag-burning. Tennessee state Rep. Justin Jones, a Democrat, summed it as a "heinous song calling for racist violence."

Sheryl Crow and Margo Price are among the musicians who've spoke out against the song. But others, like Travis Tritt and Blanco Brown described the reaction as unfair social commentary.

Political commentators on the right have have held up the country music canon, and Aldean in particular, as a loudspeaker for under-appreciated conservative values.

2024 GOP primary contenders like Trump, entrepreneur Vivek Ramaswamy and Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis all defended the artist, with DeSantis saying: "When the media attacks you, you're doing something right."

If attention was his goal, then Aldean might agree: As of midday Thursday, "Try That in a Small Town" was ranked No. 1 in the U.S. on iTunes and was holding the No. 2 spot on YouTube's trending music videos.

Oh, and ...

aldeanlynch-650x550.jpg

Edited by C-Man