Speaking of being offended: cmt pulls Jason aldean video

closetohumping

If you want a good demonstration of how banal, homogeneous, and unimaginative country music has become, I offer this--
I suppose now this could be updated to throw in a few racist dog whistles.

This horseshit used to play all the time on the radio.

25 minutes ago, Da Fino said:

This song is really what kicked off the bro country popularity. Like all bro country that followed it, it's alcohol, chicks, small town nostalgia, back roads, boots, and pickup trucks, with some incredibly shitty rapping mixed in(his rhymes drop at about 1:45). Pure garbage.

According to The Boot, Aldean's publicist teased about the song, suggesting Aldean listened to "a little Snoop Dogg in his time;" regarding the song, Aldean said he did not consider "Dirt Road Anthem" a rap song. He continued by saying, "...if I was to do anything like that, it's not going to be like Kanye West-style or anything."[3]

"Dirt Road Anthem" has received overall mixed reception from music critics. Matt Bjorke of Roughstock gave "Dirt Road Anthem" a 4.5 star rating, saying, "Jason Aldean knows he’s not a rapper and this isn’t a style of music that he’ll continuously do...but as for a new song with a different sound, it certainly works.

that is the worst song I've ever heard in my entire life. and that guy is talking about fighting in that song too. that fucker hasn't worked a day in his life on a ranch or farm but tries to dress like he's some kinda hard working tough guy. what a fucking poser.

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

no shoes radio made me think of this song:

now that's a bad ass (Texas) country song. and that fucking poser could NEVER write a song like this or play with the soul, heart ache and longing that JJW could. and instead of shitty fake rapping, JJW just tells the story. Jason Aldean hahaha what a fucking poser.

Edited by troph
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, closetohumping said:

I’m not sure what that means as I think he’s from Tennessee.  Yes wait I would say that’s a good description.  Little guy who always wears sleeveless shirts.   I don’t like how he comes off but he’s had some great songs

Kenny Chesney is very manly!  IIRC, Charlie Robison used to openly mock him in his shows until Chesney covered one of his songs.

attachment-kenny-chesney-sells-music-rig

1 hour ago, Deej said:

Steel guitar has always been a big part of country music

1 hour ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Naw man, Alan Jackson typified the slick production values and bullshit we associate with 80s/90's country radio "hat acts", but is much closer to George Straight than Jason Aldean.  Not my cup of tea, but it was country music. 

What I mean is the "modern" Nashville slick-produced country is basically bubblegum pop with a slight edge WITH a steel guitar added in to give it the old school, country feel. I I don't mean that steel guitar wasn't a country music staple long before that.

I didn't particularly like the 'big hat' country of the late 80's/early 90's at the time (I was In HS and listening to The Smiths, The Cure, REM, etc) but have come to appreciate it over the years. At some point, though, modern country became completely irredeemable. Where that exactly started, I dunno.

My apologies for disparaging Alan Jackson's work.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 1

no apology necessary, AJ is ok in my book though I'm not that much of a fan. I dropped country around the time he started getting big. I've selectively allowed some songs in my canon of good music but not much. now Texas country, sheeeit that's all time great music right there.

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, troph said:

no apology necessary, AJ is ok in my book though I'm not that much of a fan. I dropped country around the time he started getting big. I've selectively allowed some songs in my canon of good music but not much. now Texas country, sheeeit that's all time great music right there.

Conversely, I'm no real fan of Garth Brooks though his first couple of mega-albums carry a nostalgia factor for me but I fucking love the dude and what he stands for off the stage.

• Hook 'Em 3

10 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Conversely, I'm no real fan of Garth Brooks though his first couple of mega-albums carry a nostalgia factor for me but I fucking love the dude and what he stands for off the stage.

Garth Brooks reminds me of my mom not letting me go kicker dancing at the SPJST dance hall in HS. so bad nostalgia for me.

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Chooky said:

This song writing formula is a money pit. I'm hoping to cash in by writing my new song called Freedom Boner Liberty Pants Eagle Flag Patriot Boots. So far I only have the title but I'll be done in five minutes. 

Mods can delete this.  W/O going all CR, Trump created an industry right before our eyes.  We knew he was a grifter, but gotdam he shit an entire ecosystem of which to monetize. For the most part the white hoods were in the deep shadows until CVL.   Hillary was spot on when she coined the phrase 'deplorables' and Trump was happy to walk right threw that door and profiteer off these people.

Edited by jdhorn92
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 1
  • Drool 1

Mods can delete this.  W/O going all CR, Trump created an industry right before our eyes.  We knew he was a grifter, but gotdam he shit an entire ecosystem of which to monetize. For the most part the white hoods were in the deep shadows until CVL.   Hillary was spot on when she coined the phrase 'deplorables' and Trump was happy to walk right threw that door and profiteer off these people.

*through

The first real bro country song I recall was that “talk too much” song by Toby Keith. I was essentially a country rap song. It’s been all downhill since. FGL really took it to the next level with that stupid “roll” song. And now here we are with that god fucking awful Applebee’s song. It’s all just fucking awful!
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, troph said:

now that's a bad ass (Texas) country song. and that fucking poser could NEVER write a song like this or play with the soul, heart ache and longing that JJW could. and instead of shitty fake rapping, JJW just tells the story. Jason Aldean hahaha what a fucking poser.

Cool story bro. In summer of '91 I was laying in the pool at our Frat house kicking back.  A couple girls i knew (wish i had picks) came by and asked if i wanted to go to Luckenbach and see JJW and Chris Wall.  I told them all i had was $20.  A 12 er of Keystone and a few tacos from Jack-n-the crack later we were on our way.  One of my best memories of west campus days.   Great night, so much fun. Blew chuncks out by the washer pit to clear some room ha! .  What a night.  late 80's- early 90's was peak JJW, probably saw him 10 times, i used to get his newsletter but never made it to his festival though down in Belize.  RIP legend

• Like 1
  • Drool 1

13 minutes ago, jdhorn92 said:

it was duck dynasty and bucees first. they made all this possible through bro country. 

sorry if that makes you bucees fans uncomfortable but growth and change are hard. 

4 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

it was duck dynasty and bucees first. they made all this possible through bro country. 

sorry if that makes you bucees fans uncomfortable but growth and change are hard. 

fuck bucees in the goat ass, there's nothing redeemable about that place, even the clean restrooms can be found elsewhere (if you look hard).

10 minutes ago, jdhorn92 said:

Cool story bro. In summer of '91 I was laying in the pool at our Frat house kicking back.  A couple girls i knew (wish i had picks) came by and asked if i wanted to go to Luckenbach and see JJW and Chris Wall.  I told them all i had was $20.  A 12 er of Keystone and a few tacos from Jack-n-the crack later we were on our way.  One of my best memories of west campus days.   Great night, so much fun. Blew chuncks out by the washer pit to clear some room ha! .  What a night.  late 80's- early 90's was peak JJW, probably saw him 10 times, i used to get his newsletter but never made it to his festival though down in Belize.  RIP legend

that's amazing. I'm on a JJW kick right now, have been for the last 8-9 months. the exact opposite of this cracker-jack aldean pos.

• Hook 'Em 2

This thread took a turn from discussing racist lyrics and symbolism to a discussion on the evolution of bro country.

2 minutes ago, The Ace of Aces said:

Kenny Chesney may or may not be bro country but one thing is certain: His fans are the dirtiest, messiest and most unruly music fans in America. They're embarrassing and Pittsburgh is basically making it very hard to allow him to play there anymore because the fans antics. They're trash. 

It's Pittsburgh. How much more trashy could they make the place?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, royiv said:

This thread took a turn from discussing racist lyrics and symbolism to a discussion on the evolution of bro country.

It's been awhile since I've been there but downtown Pittsburgh was actually pretty fucking fun. I loved Philly too.

• Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, royiv said:

PGH is one of the most underrated cities in the country. It's pretty great. Just google him + Pittsburgh concert aftermath. It's inexcusable. 

Edited by The Ace of Aces
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, The Ace of Aces said:

Kenny Chesney may or may not be bro country but one thing is certain: His fans are the dirtiest, messiest and most unruly music fans in America. They're embarrassing and Pittsburgh is basically making it very hard to allow him to play there anymore because the fans antics. They're trash. 

he's got about 5-6 great boat songs too. sorry not sorry.

12 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

I don't remember who but whoever wrote Somethin bout a Truck or whatever that dumbass song was goes on the list too

as opposed to Buffett's somethin bout a boat. which is a great song.

"Country" music has always had cheesey pop influences, at least since the early 70's and perhaps beyond.  That's not "bro country".

"Bro country" is what took over after the gals lost control of country radio -- Shania, The (Dixie) Chicks, Faith Hill, Reba.  Aldean, Chesney, Bryan, that's bro country.  It didn't exist before them.  

Alan Jackson?  What the fuck?  That dude is more legit than 99% of the male country artists working these days.  Paisley ain't bro country, he's a genius musician who just can't sing all that well.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

Found it. Imagine the kind of banal loser you have to be to enjoy bland, talentless drivel like this.

god I've listened to so much bad fucking terrible "country" music on this thread, jesus christo.

buffett's version about a boat... much better.

and now JB would tell you that he's a shitty songwriter. and he's sort of right. but that other yahoo has no idea what a farmer's truck is really like but JB knows boat life, he writes from shit he knows. so while he's not a great song writer he's much, much, much better than these shitheads.

Edited by troph
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

"Country" music has always had cheesey pop influences, at least since the early 70's and perhaps beyond.  That's not "bro country".

"Bro country" is what took over after the gals lost control of country radio -- Shania, The (Dixie) Chicks, Faith Hill, Reba.  Aldean, Chesney, Bryan, that's bro country.  It didn't exist before them.  

Alan Jackson?  What the fuck?  That dude is more legit than 99% of the male country artists working these days.  Paisley ain't bro country, he's a genius musician who just can't sing all that well.

What about Gary Alan?

34 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

QFT

1 hour ago, irishtexan said:

So this video dropped this morning. Don't think it was planned, but it's pretty much the antithesis of Aldeanism. For those that like Tyler Childers, he announced a new record's coming out in September. 

Took some courage to make that.

Broke my fucking heart, too.  Story had that If We Were Vampires feel to it, and goddamn, that one gets me every goddamn time.  I'm not a big Tyler Childers fan (his stuff generally just doesn't click for me), but hats off for that one.

Jason Aldean isn't fit to drink Tyler's taint sweat.

1 hour ago, irishtexan said:

So this video dropped this morning. Don't think it was planned, but it's pretty much the antithesis of Aldeanism. For those that like Tyler Childers, he announced a new record's coming out in September. 

I don't like his voice much but loved the video. took a ton of courage to do that one. thing is, there were plenty of coalminers that wanted the love/life that is depicted in this video (without the tragedy of course). haters gonna say bullshit but hey gay's been around a long time, longer than their hatred.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

That Tyler Childers video is a brave effort on an "eh" song.  Match the melody to the chord progression, dude, you ain't Benjamin Britten.  (Intentional irony.)

Better than nothing, I guess.

Yeah, the song didn't really do it for me (not much of his stuff does).  But I respect the hell out of him making that video.  May lose him some fans.  Who are fans he can stand to lose, f 'em.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

That Tyler Childers video is a brave effort on an "eh" song.  Match the melody to the chord progression, dude, you ain't Benjamin Britten.  (Intentional irony.)

Better than nothing, I guess.

I agree. It’s pretty bad actually. 

I just realized Palm Beach has 10,000 people.  Columbia, TN---where Jason filmed his 'small town' video has 45,000.  Making his small town 4.5x larger than the big city Trump lives in.  So Trump would be 4.5x less likely to try anything fishy where he is than to where Jason was referring, no?  

5 hours ago, troph said:

god I've listened to so much bad fucking terrible "country" music on this thread, jesus christo.

buffett's version about a boat... much better.

and now JB would tell you that he's a shitty songwriter. and he's sort of right. but that other yahoo has no idea what a farmer's truck is really like but JB knows boat life, he writes from shit he knows. so while he's not a great song writer he's much, much, much better than these shitheads.

I don’t know what buffet’s best song is, but I’m 100% sure his two best songs are son of a son of a sailor and a pirate looks at 40. 

7 hours ago, troph said:

JJWs voice on night rider’s lament just gets me. And gettin’ by is a great little song with one of the better lyrics ever written- Income tax overdue…

• Like 1