Speaking of being offended: cmt pulls Jason aldean video

closetohumping

This Harris guy is an idiot. First these guys are artists, even if they come from a ranching or farming way of life. Creative people have their own unique circumstances, with creativity often coupled with significant pain which leads to compassion for others. Second at least for those that are native Texan (or adoptive Texans who embody the original Texan spirit), we aren’t a hateful people by nature.  I’d be willing to wager 9 out of 10 Texas country artists are progressives. Maybe moderated on a few issues but just look at James McMurtry - not a native Texan but certainly a Texas singer songwriter in a lot of ways - performs in drag to tell TN to fuck off. That guy is as country as they come. 

Third, I think for those who live a rural or small town way of life - if there is real opportunity then others aren’t the enemy. I think a true live and let live is the embodiment of the best that Far West Texas and other Texan small town life has to offer humanity. It may be a 1970s style libertarianism but it’s rooted in trust of your neighbors, kindness and going above and beyond because there is plenty to go around and there isn’t a government program for every need. Guns were for hunting and protecting your cattle and not for slaughtering humans.  I know this to be true because one on one, many born and raised Texas folk are still like this.  

Somewhere though, for many rural towns it veered off the road like tiger woods in an Escalade.  I think (lack of) opportunity is a big part of it, so is the Facebook problem. Granted most white culture in those areas was still racistAF, so it wasn’t all sunshine and prickly pear margaritas.

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Fuck You 1

On 7/30/2023 at 9:03 AM, troph said:

This Harris guy is an idiot. First these guys are artists, even if they come from a ranching or farming way of life. Creative people have their own unique circumstances, with creativity often coupled with significant pain which leads to compassion for others. Second at least for those that are native Texan (or adoptive Texans who embody the original Texan spirit), we aren’t a hateful people by nature.  I’d be willing to wager 9 out of 10 Texas country artists are progressives. Maybe moderated on a few issues but just look at James McMurtry - not a native Texan but certainly a Texas singer songwriter in a lot of ways - performs in drag to tell TN to fuck off. That guy is as country as they come. 

Third, I think for those who live a rural or small town way of life - if there is real opportunity then others aren’t the enemy. I think a true live and let live is the embodiment of the best that Far West Texas and other Texan small town life has to offer humanity. It may be a 1970s style libertarianism but it’s rooted in trust of your neighbors, kindness and going above and beyond because there is plenty to go around and there isn’t a government program for every need. Guns were for hunting and protecting your cattle and not for slaughtering humans.  I know this to be true because one on one, many born and raised Texas folk are still like this.  

Somewhere though, for many rural towns it veered off the road like tiger woods in an Escalade.  I think (lack of) opportunity is a big part of it, so is the Facebook problem. Granted most white culture in those areas was still racistAF, so it wasn’t all sunshine and prickly pear margaritas.

Tiger Woods in a Hyundai* was when he wrecked and almost died going off the road.

The Escalade was when his ex wife attacked him with golf clubs and put his nine iron through the window.

On 7/30/2023 at 7:03 AM, troph said:

This is a great post but I'll challenge the thought that 9 out of 10 Texas country music artists are progressive.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/28/2023 at 3:08 PM, Tylerocks said:

I worked for Brown Distributing (Budweiser dist) while in school.

Hey me too.  Early 2000s.  I made it like a month and a half.  That job sucked.  Thurs-Sun, 6am-9pm.  Getting home at 10pm on a Saturday and all my friends were partying while I had to go to bed to get up again at 5am on a Sunday to go make $7/hour.  No thanks.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Hey me too.  Early 2000s.  I made it like a month and a half.  That job sucked.  Thurs-Sun, 6am-9pm.  Getting home at 10pm on a Saturday and all my friends were partying while I had to go to bed to get up again at 5am on a Sunday to go make $7/hour.  No thanks.

With those hours I wouldn't have made it either. Fuck that.

I only worked special events/concerts etc.  Didn't drive a route or anything like that.

I did get to drive one of my managers and the Bud Girls around for the Super Bowl one year.. Packers/Patriots...96?

• Hook 'Em 2

Not budweiser obviously, but worked at San Antonio Coors for many summers and breaks during high school and college.  BudCo was the A-B shop down there, Halo was Miller, and GLI was all the rest.  Job was a brutal physically.  i worked as both a helper (shotgun with driver in semi with no A/C, dropping about 1000 cases/day for both on-premise (hard because of the tight streets) and off premise (easier parking and got to take break in A/C stores but more quantity).  Would work in the warehouse too mainly moving product around and hodge-podging damaged shit into new boxes for distribution.  But fun part was as some of y'all mentioned was also doing merchandising which meant dropping off schwag and neon signs to bars by day and then them letting me drink underage in there by night, driving the Coors Light latina hotties around at night to make appearances at bars and rodeos.  Got paid every Friday under the table with no taxes taken out, plus a case of beer.  Hours were rough in the summer though, be there by 6:30a at the warehouse to make first drops by 7:00a.  Most days, lucky to be done by 6:00p, usually 7:00p.  Hot as it was, I never got close to heatstroke.  Now I gotta watch myself a few times per day when I start getting light headed just taking the trash outside.  

I think F-250 and I surmised awhile back he was casing the warehouse to rob some beers while I was working there one year.  

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, closetohumping said:

This is a great post but I'll challenge the thought that 9 out of 10 Texas country music artists are progressive.

I agree with you but even the more conservative artists probably aren't as backwards socially as social conservatives in general - much of that is bred from not interacting with anyone different than you and that's just not really a thing in the music industry, even if it is country.

23 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

I agree with you but even the more conservative artists probably aren't as backwards socially as social conservatives in general - much of that is bred from not interacting with anyone different than you and that's just not really a thing in the music industry, even if it is country.

Right but to me, country music is a pretty homogenous group.  Maybe the Texas outlaw crowd is different, true. 

31 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Yeah, they are certainly cut from a different cloth.  I think a true Texas Outlaw musician, Kris Kristofferson.  Rhodes Scholar who was an Army helicopter pilot that earned a Ranger tab.  And wrote some kickass songs along the way in between acting gigs and nailing models.  

You got me, Pat. 

1 hour ago, closetohumping said:

Right but to me, country music is a pretty homogenous group.  Maybe the Texas outlaw crowd is different, true. 

but still - people working at studios, at concert venues, videographers and film workers, roadies, backup singers and musicians, record company people and booking agents and managers, dancers, other acts at festivals and in the green room, artist reps at Levis and Fender and whatever - for sure the group of those people you interact with as a musician with a Nashville HQ is not going to be as artsy diverse as a rock or pop artist, but it's still a lot more that way than the people your country FM radio listeners interact with. Just thinking of the two artists I mentioned earlier (which btw I didn't mean to say that Brad Paisley falls under the umbrella of "bro-country") - Paisley has been explicitly pro LGBTQ and Luke Bryan (from a quick google) is just short of that - https://tasteofcountry.com/luke-bryan-beliefs-blm-lgbtq-most-people-are-good/ .

• Hook 'Em 3

I don’t know shit about Nashville I’m talking Texas country and singer songwriter musicians only. And the idea that they are progressive like Bernie sanders probably not but as socially conservative as our parents on Facebook, Q believers, gay haters, BLM hating Trump loving? I’ll bet I’m right, they aren’t like that at all. 

• Hook 'Em 3

18 minutes ago, troph said:

I don’t know shit about Nashville I’m talking Texas country and singer songwriter musicians only. And the idea that they are progressive like Bernie sanders probably not but as socially conservative as our parents on Facebook, Q believers, gay haters, BLM hating Trump loving? I’ll bet I’m right, they aren’t like that at all. 

there are two very different types of country out there and they are very easily sorted into these camps, imo.  one has kristofferson or bingham or jason isbell.  one has nashville.  very obviously distinguishable.

6 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

That's one of the worst threads I've ever seen on Twitter, quite an accomplishment these days 

Perhaps but it allowed us to see all his sycophants so I could block them.

I don't know... Aldean seems like he was forged of a hotter fire. 

• Haha 3

56 minutes ago, troph said:

Yeah, I have slight hunch where folks like Willie Nelson and Kacey Musgraves stand. 90% may be a bit high, but it is probably north of 50%. 

3 hours ago, Celery Man said:

but still - people working at studios, at concert venues, videographers and film workers, roadies, backup singers and musicians, record company people and booking agents and managers, dancers, other acts at festivals and in the green room, artist reps at Levis and Fender and whatever - for sure the group of those people you interact with as a musician with a Nashville HQ is not going to be as artsy diverse as a rock or pop artist, but it's still a lot more that way than the people your country FM radio listeners interact with. Just thinking of the two artists I mentioned earlier (which btw I didn't mean to say that Brad Paisley falls under the umbrella of "bro-country") - Paisley has been explicitly pro LGBTQ and Luke Bryan (from a quick google) is just short of that - https://tasteofcountry.com/luke-bryan-beliefs-blm-lgbtq-most-people-are-good/ .

Don't you make me have a fucking modicum of respect for Luke Bryan goddammit

• Haha 6

2 hours ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

there are two very different types of country out there and they are very easily sorted into these camps, imo.  one has kristofferson or bingham or jason isbell.  one has nashville.  very obviously distinguishable.

That’s not what I meant. I meant I don’t know how the social/ideological wind blows in Nashville. 

Most of the roots/country/pop musicians I've crossed paths with in Austin are left of center.  Not all, but most.  People tend to talk when they're on breaks during a 16-hour session two weeks into a project, plus beer and pot.

I still want to see the correlation with IQ, or any other intelligence metric one cares to use.  I know where I'd put my money.

7 hours ago, YGIFS said:

Not budweiser obviously, but worked at San Antonio Coors for many summers and breaks during high school and college.  BudCo was the A-B shop down there, Halo was Miller, and GLI was all the rest.  Job was a brutal physically.  i worked as both a helper (shotgun with driver in semi with no A/C, dropping about 1000 cases/day for both on-premise (hard because of the tight streets) and off premise (easier parking and got to take break in A/C stores but more quantity).  Would work in the warehouse too mainly moving product around and hodge-podging damaged shit into new boxes for distribution.  But fun part was as some of y'all mentioned was also doing merchandising which meant dropping off schwag and neon signs to bars by day and then them letting me drink underage in there by night, driving the Coors Light latina hotties around at night to make appearances at bars and rodeos.  Got paid every Friday under the table with no taxes taken out, plus a case of beer.  Hours were rough in the summer though, be there by 6:30a at the warehouse to make first drops by 7:00a.  Most days, lucky to be done by 6:00p, usually 7:00p.  Hot as it was, I never got close to heatstroke.  Now I gotta watch myself a few times per day when I start getting light headed just taking the trash outside.  

I think F-250 and I surmised awhile back he was casing the warehouse to rob some beers while I was working there one year.  

Stealing Coors you say?

Smokey-and-the-Bandit-images-383e07fb-0def-4bf3-9330-3df4b3742a5.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Sorry in already posted.   

He is correct.  I have stayed in towns with the nearest grocery store 1.5 hours away.  I have been to towns without paved roads in North America (US, BC/NWT Canada).  

Edited by Nivek
clarity.
  • Haha 2

On 7/29/2023 at 9:01 PM, Gil Bang said:

What G650 said.  Rich is such a fucking cunt.  The cuntiest of cunts. 

Meanwhile, this moronic thread

I saw that the other day, and got a good chuckle as a card carrying “hick lib” with a bunch of hick lib friends and relatives.

I think the most maddening thing was the idea that being 20% of the population was like being a unicorn.  That’s 1 out of 5 people, dipshit.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 7/31/2023 at 9:32 PM, Nivek said:

Sorry in already posted.   

He is correct.  I have stayed in towns with the nearest grocery store 1.5 hours away.  I have been to towns without paved roads in North America (US, BC/NWT Canada).  

To many Jason Aldean fans, a small town just means a suburb outside of Houston or Dallas. And in the case of Houston, they are most likely still in Houston.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

To many Jason Aldean fans, a small town just means a suburb outside of Houston or Dallas. And in the case of Houston, they are most likely still in Houston.

Yes, but "Try that in an upper-middle class suburb with a Whole Foods and our own police force" didn't fit the meter.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just bumpin the thread to say don't you dare compare that wannabe fag Aldean to Luke Combs. Dude is legitimately talented and has some great songs. Does he also do some shit bro country? Yes, but 2-4 good songs an album is unheard of for a popular artist in this country-pop-R&B-rock shithole of an era. 

On 7/28/2023 at 5:46 AM, G650 said:

He Went to Paris is one the best/saddest songs ever.

I would say Buffets best stuff is lesser known, the Hot Water album. Prince of Tides, Great Heart and That's What Living is to Me are probably his strongest work.

Son of a Sailor is pretty amazing aesthetically though, it evokes morning on the water amazingly well in the intro.

Incommunicado is a great song.

Sometimes I picture the Constitutional Convention as a buncha scrawny, elderly white dudes in powdered whigs to disguise their syphilis suddenly taking off 3 layers of shirts and jackets so they could flex to the local Philly broads and say, "You chicks got tickets to the 2A gun show?"  

I dunno.  It's insane but it's also probably gonna be taught as legit U.S. History in about 5 more semesters, so...