A&M botches hiring of Aggie grad to lead Journalism department because she’s black, leads to President resignation.

TexasEd

11 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

You have to be a special kind of dumb like John sharp to look this bad ….

THIS is what is damaging aggy’s rep? Not TexAgs, or the Sul Ross statue thing, or the gay corp or the football team? Come on now. 

• Hook 'Em 1

28 minutes ago, Js1 said:

THIS is what is damaging aggy’s rep? Not TexAgs, or the Sul Ross statue thing, or the gay corp or the football team? Come on now. 

On a national level, you would be surprised how few people know about the things you listed. As Texans, the weirdness has been a part of our lives forever so you just assume that everyone outside of Texas knows how dysfunctional they are. Most people outside of Texas think the corps is an ROTC unit. They have no idea it's cosplay army. The coverage of political shenanigans with their faculty does much more harm to their reputation on an academic stage than all the crap we make fun of them for.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

6 minutes ago, royiv said:

On a national level, you would be surprised how few people know about the things you listed. As Texans, the weirdness has been a part of our lives forever so you just assume that everyone outside of Texas knows how dysfunctional they are. Most people outside of Texas think the corps is an ROTC unit. They have no idea it's cosplay army. The coverage of political shenanigans with their faculty does much more harm to their reputation on an academic stage than all the crap we make fun of them for.

This is true, and what you described on a national level is how the SEC viewed aggy until they joined the conference, and even then, the other SEC fan bases didn't truly comprehend that school's utter jackassery until a few years ago.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, SimonBolivar said:

I don't think it's just a troll forum, but rather represents the opinions of most alums and t-shirt fans over the age of 45. This is especially true in the "Aggie Triangle" between Washington, Fannin, and Shelby counties.

Yeah, but I don't know if you're going to get an accurate gauge of the extent from that site (and I live in MAGAland). I've seen Texags screenshots and pointed out the circumspect number "likes" on posts (200+! Super popular post!)- "like" counts that dwarf any posts here or a place like SECRant. Considering how 6Figs U wants to inflate their enrollment #s, I'm sure nothing is misrepresented.

9 minutes ago, Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand said:

Yeah, but I don't know if you're going to get an accurate gauge of the extent from that site (and I live in MAGAland). I've seen Texags screenshots and pointed out the circumspect number "likes" on posts (200+! Super popular post!)- "like" counts that dwarf any posts here or a place like SECRant. Considering how 6Figs U wants to inflate their enrollment #s, I'm sure nothing is misrepresented.

I think a lot of that is the forum design (along with good ole Aggie groupthink). Their stars are so impersonal which for some reason seems to mean that "likes" are so much more common. I'm on a Baylor board that uses the same forum functions that's much much smaller than Surly and the likes per post are much higher than here. For example, I'm a lib and a sports pessimist so not exactly popular over there and I get 4.4 likes per post and on here I get .91 likes per post. @Brisketexan is the top rep getter on this site and he only gets 1.89 likes per post.

2 hours ago, Js1 said:

I assume you meant "gay" in a happy/jovial context?  Otherwise, why include it?  You completely undermine the point of this thread.  

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, royiv said:

the avg Texan is used to aggy embarrassing themselves, but this new episode is next level 

1 hour ago, Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand said:

Speaking of inflating, that reminds me. How many NCs do we have once we join the SEC?

Dunno, but if you make a blank “trophy” like Jimbo’s for our grand entrance, somebody here will cut you for sure.

1 hour ago, SimonBolivar said:

I think a lot of that is the forum design (along with good ole Aggie groupthink). Their stars are so impersonal which for some reason seems to mean that "likes" are so much more common. I'm on a Baylor board that uses the same forum functions that's much much smaller than Surly and the likes per post are much higher than here. For example, I'm a lib and a sports pessimist so not exactly popular over there and I get 4.4 likes per post and on here I get .91 likes per post. @Brisketexan is the top rep getter on this site and he only gets 1.89 likes per post.

Yes, but half of that rep is from my frequent posting of nude selfies in, umm, another sub-board.  I'm sexy, I can't help it.

1 hour ago, pantone159 said:

Yes, but he is the lowest rep getter in terms of likes per word posted.

And, I mean....also this.

BACK ON TOPIC...a text from a friend (and fellow double-UT alumnus).  One of his good friends is a tenured prof at a top US private university.  That prof's comment, from within the higher education world: "Yes, the universities are taking a huge hit in terms of reputation and prestige.  A&M in particular is having a hard time recruiting faculty and this now may spread to UT."

The reputation and quality of a state university system that took decades upon decades to build, may be wrecked in a matter of a few years.  It's so much harder to build than to destroy, and our state leadership is proving that on this particular front.

• Hook 'Em 1

21 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

image.png.d8cf2558cf8d2f46aae327a5651bac43.png

image.png.9a3c8661b9c0467604ee1e7d419d8a9e.png

21 hours ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

I’ve said before that Texags is just a troll farm and not representative of the school and student body, but it still shocks me every time and legitimately affects my opinion of the school.  I have three kids and I’ll do whatever I can to keep them from going there, and I’m sure it’s largely from the impression Texags has made on me. And that’s a top public school!

It’s like, maybe it’s logical, maybe it’s not.  But do I want to risk that my kids will end up thinking like them?

21 hours ago, SimonBolivar said:

I don't think it's just a troll forum, but rather represents the opinions of most alums and t-shirt fans over the age of 45. This is especially true in the "Aggie Triangle" between Washington, Fannin, and Shelby counties.

The Tech Rivals.com board is just as bad, at least in one of the subforums. The mods basically quarantine all political discussion there by moving any thread that gets shit up by weirdos, but it's the same as TexAgs. Just a (small compared to the board population, to be sure, but very loud) group of people that have absolutely lost their minds and routinely post the most unhinged shit you will ever read.

Their only saving grace is the board is paywalled so the rest of the internet isn't going in there screenshotting it.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

My favorite from texags was they were pissed about Angela Merkel letting in immigrants from some middle eastern country or something.  They were of course irate.  Someone made a post “Merkel really is the worst chancellor Germany has ever had.”  Hundreds of stars from fellow imbeciles.  

<norm> Now, I’m not sure how many of you are history buffs but … </norm>

No.....they meant exactly what they said.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

Have you recently been replaced at your job by a Black or a Jew?  Has your college recently been overrun by woke administrators who only care about football, but not really?  Have undocumented immigrants recently taken over your agricultural economy AND high finance industries at the same time?  You may be due massive compensation for your pain and suffering.  Call us today for a no obligation consultation.  We don't get paid unless you do, or Jimbo takes a salary cut...either way.  

Work makes you free, but we make you rich! 

Edited by YGIFS
  • Like 1

On 7/25/2023 at 4:19 PM, SydneyCarton said:

Wait another 10 years when their undergraduate enrollment is churning ou 60-70k indoctrinated Freshman per year, whether or not they graduate. And then when they keep voting. 

I have a different take. My kids are college age and almost college age. They have many friends going to A&M not only because of Texas top 6% rule but also because aggy is giving a lot of money esp for STEM majors. Kids who couldn’t get into Texas are getting tuition paid for. Kids who are accepted at texas are getting tuition books and housing paid for when they are lucky to get a thousand bucks from the local Texas Exes. Nothing from the school. 

The demographics of the undergrad population is changing rapidly. Other than learning dumb football chants these kids are not being indoctrinated 

I’ve said before that Texags is just a troll farm and not representative of the school and student body, but it still shocks me every time and legitimately affects my opinion of the school.  I have three kids and I’ll do whatever I can to keep them from going there, and I’m sure it’s largely from the impression Texags has made on me. And that’s a top public school!

It’s like, maybe it’s logical, maybe it’s not.  But do I want to risk that my kids will end up thinking like them?

It’s not representative of the student body; the generational and racial demographics are way different.

It is representative of the alumni base, particularly those born prior to 1980 or so.

8 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

I have a different take. My kids are college age and almost college age. They have many friends going to A&M not only because of Texas top 6% rule but also because aggy is giving a lot of money esp for STEM majors. Kids who couldn’t get into Texas are getting tuition paid for. Kids who are accepted at texas are getting tuition books and housing paid for when they are lucky to get a thousand bucks from the local Texas Exes. Nothing from the school. 

The demographics of the undergrad population is changing rapidly. Other than learning dumb football chants these kids are not being indoctrinated 

I don't disagree that the mentality is changing, and it's being watered down with less true weirdos attending undergrad there. I've seen it myself. What remains to be seen is the extent to which they change things that are "tradition" (conservatism, their stupid chants, their stupid groupthink, etc.) and how much those people are changed by the different environment around them, as well. Funny thing about indoctrination, it can happen fast, but it usually happens slow. My best case scenario is that it's somewhere in the middle of my suggestion and your suggestion. But with A&M being just one piece of propoganda and the rest of what we see around Texas also amplifying that shitty mentality, well, I'm not exceedingly optimistic. 

I don't know, I'm spitballing, but I wonder if the extra money to students is coming from pullback of resources to Texas becuase we wouldn't adhere to their bullshit diploma mill metrics, increase our enrollment substantially, and our pushback on that ass system where teachers "review" professors. 

UT alumni of a certain age aren't exactly peaches.  I'm sure most here remember the emails during the Eyes of Texas debacle.   But aggies do seem to take it to an entirely different level.

I will echo what others have stated here, that the current student body doesn't really look or act like what most of us think of when we think of mouth-breathing, sheep-humping idiots with jizz jars, speech impediments, and lift kits on their pickups.  Times have changed, even though the alumni and admin haven't.

13 minutes ago, Samson&#x27;s Wig said:

UT alumni of a certain age aren't exactly peaches.  I'm sure most here remember the emails during the Eyes of Texas debacle.   But aggies do seem to take it to an entirely different level.

I will echo what others have stated here, that the current student body doesn't really look or act like what most of us think of when we think of mouth-breathing, sheep-humping idiots with jizz jars, speech impediments, and lift kits on their pickups.  Times have changed, even though the alumni and admin haven't.

Not restricted to the olds, either. My brother's close group of UT friends (all under 40) have gone off the far-right deep end. Most grew up with wealth, went to private schools, etc. Most are pretty successful now. One doctor, couple of finance bros, a few attorneys. They should know better. But the screen shots I get from the text threads are something else. You'd think they were boomers drooling over their facebook accounts and forwarding SPAM emails. Really crazy stuff. 

3 hours ago, Foosters said:

Not restricted to the olds, either. My brother's close group of UT friends (all under 40) have gone off the far-right deep end. Most grew up with wealth, went to private schools, etc. Most are pretty successful now. One doctor, couple of finance bros, a few attorneys. They should know better. But the screen shots I get from the text threads are something else. You'd think they were boomers drooling over their facebook accounts and forwarding SPAM emails. Really crazy stuff. 

How anyone can get a proper legal education and end up on the far right is a mystery to me.  After undergrad at UT, did they attend the Aggy School of Legal Witticisms and Assorted Questionry?  

12 minutes ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

So many people — well off, educated, influential — feel comfortable now sending emails saying something not much more subtle than “are we sure we‘re wanting to hire a black person?”

Without going all CR....it's all been made "ok" again.  Saying all the quiet parts out loud, all that stuff.  It's mind-boggling to see in action, but here we are.  We have people -- influential people -- actually engaged, right now, in the "slavery wasn't so bad, slaves developed skills that benefited them" trope.  I though I'd heard the last of that shit (from anyone but the fringiest of fringe) in the 1970s.  Nope.  I was wrong in such thinking.

Now, that it's leaking into my university, the flagship system of the state (remember, UTMB fucked this up, too)....I'm just shaking my damned head.

• Hook 'Em 2