2050 - Which cities could be under water?

crash_davis

Texas upper coast and Louisiana are probably FUCKED! Interactive map. Here's your opportunity to scope cheap land today which may be ocean front in 20 years.

https://coastal.climatecentral.org/embed/map/8/-92.9144/29.4485/?theme=sea_level_rise&map_type=year&basemap=roadmap&contiguous=true&elevation_model=best_available&forecast_year=2050&pathway=gmsl1p0m&percentile=p50&refresh=true&return_level=return_level_1&rl_model=tebaldi_2012&slr_model=noaa_2022

https://www.kxan.com/news/interactive-map-shows-which-texas-cities-will-be-underwater-in-2050/

A map created by Climate Central, an organization of scientists and journalists focused on studying the impacts of climate change, shows what the future may hold for coastal communities as sea level rises. For this story, we zeroed in on coastal Texas.

In the first map (below), we set the projections to include sea level rise and typical annual flooding (weather that can be expected every year). We set the map to include what would happen with “unchecked pollution” between now and 2050. That setting most closely matches the current path we’re on, Climate Central said.

We set the bar to “medium,” which reflects the middle range of possibilities predicted by scientists.

n Texas, projections show cities on the state’s southern coastline have the highest risk of being underwater by 2050. Cities like Galveston and Bayou Vista appear at risk of heavy flooding during annual high-water events according to the map projections.

Just southwest of Galveston, cities like Sargent and Freeport also see their coastline underwater, according to the projections. Other cities, like Oyster Creek and the Town of Quintana, are completely submerged during flood events.

Additionally, water from Hynes Bay appears to cover a considerable chunk of Tivoli. In the southeastern part of Texas, the entire wildlife area below Port Arthur appears flooded on the map.

The area between Beaumont and Rose City would also be flooded completely, according to projections.

Enjoy spending time at the islands along Corpus Christi? Projections show every island connected to the city will be underwater by 2050 as well. If the pattern repeats across the map, the financial toll could be devastating.

I'm not a climate change denier - but the sea level change thing has never seemed to hold much weight. Wasn't Miami, like, already supposed to be under water?

You should tell the Cities of Miami, Ft Lauderdale, etc. it’s not an issue. I’m sure they’d be thrilled to know the tidal flooding they’re already starting to experience isn’t real.
  • Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

I'm not a climate change denier - but the sea level change thing has never seemed to hold much weight. Wasn't Miami, like, already supposed to be under water?

Its not that it's going to be CONSTANT flooding to start with - the intensity of storms will increase further and further as the oceans warm, and flood levels will gradually rise. This is reflected in several national insurers completely pulling out of Florida, and the premiums tripling up. 

Say, you may have noticed a similar dynamic in your insurance rates here in Texas too

Edit: also, lulz for "I'm not denying it, but it sure doesn't seem to be happening!" jlawok.gif

Edited by Captainant
  • Hook 'Em 3

15 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Edit: also, lulz for "I'm not denying it, but it sure doesn't seem to be happening!" jlawok.gif

I haven't seen any predictions that American cities will be "under water" 27 years from now. But I'm land locked and don't pay super close attention to this stuff, so maybe I've missed it.

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

Most sea level rise will be from the expansion of water as the planet warms. If the planet keeps warming, the water will keep rising.

26 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Its not that it's going to be CONSTANT flooding to start with - the intensity of storms will increase further and further as the oceans warm, and flood levels will gradually rise. This is reflected in several national insurers completely pulling out of Florida, and the premiums tripling up. 

Say, you may have noticed a similar dynamic in your insurance rates here in Texas too

I didn't say I wasn't denying bullshit, sensationalist reports of sea level rise in the past. Which there absolutely have been. 

Maybe it's a verbiage thing that makes it unclear - with "underwater" not meaning literally underwater but effectively untenable for building structures on. 

5 minutes ago, HOOKEM4 said:

Water level in the sea will be the least of our worries. Just get your popcorn ready for what happens first. It will be a fucking blast. 

Yeah I'm more concerned about it being 100 and 4 fucking degrees for 3 weeks straight in July. 

• Rage+1 1

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-07-24/antarctic-sea-ice-levels-nosedive-five-sigma-event/102635204

"For those of you who are interested in statistics, this is a five-sigma event. So it's five standard deviations beyond the mean. Which means that if nothing had changed, we'd expect to see a winter like this about once every 7.5 million years.

I wonder if we'll have our blue ocean event before or after 2030.... At this rate I'd take the under

Edited by Captainant

Some insurers are already getting ahead of the game by pulling out of Florida.  

Some? Something like 60% and growing of single family homes in Florida are now insured by Citizens Property, the state insurer of last resort. It’s already a lot more than some.
  • Rage+1 1

14 hours ago, HOOKEM4 said:

Water level in the sea will be the least of our worries. Just get your popcorn ready for what happens first. It will be a fucking blast. 

Avatar certainly corresponds appropriately. 

My FIL has property outside of Belleville. The second that dude moves on, that property will be on the market ASAP becuase it won't be worth shit in 25 years, imo. It's going to be too hot to raise livestock, and maybe even some of the agriculture in Texas, and no one is  looking for a hobby farm in 110 temperatures. 

Edited by SydneyCarton

34 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Avatar certainly corresponds appropriately. 

My FIL has property outside of Belleville. The second that dude moves on, that property will be on the market ASAP becuase it won't be worth shit in 25 years, imo. It's going to be too hot to raise lifestock, and maybe even some of the agriculture in Texas, and no one is  looking for a hobby farm in 110 temperatures. 

O&G

7 minutes ago, Bevo said:

O&G

I assume you mean Bellville. If he has mineral rights, they are finding more O&G in the area so keep that in mind when you decide to sell because ranch work sucks in the Texas heat.

The Texas and Louisiana coasts could get hit hard but population can move if it needed to.   It's place like Indonesia, India, Pakistan, Bangladesh and China that are really fucked.

And the Dutch.  But we all know how brisket feels about the Dutch.

• Rage+1 1

16 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

The Texas and Louisiana coasts could get hit hard but population can move if it needed to.   It's place like Indonesia, India, Pakistan, Bangladesh and China that are really fucked.

Probably true, but the cause of global warming is over population. So, from a selfish perspective, better them than us. And from an ecological perspective, better for it to happen in large developing country population centers: Such countries will have the most impact on curbing global warming.

1 hour ago, Bevo said:

O&G

1 hour ago, Bevo said:

I assume you mean Bellville. If he has mineral rights, they are finding more O&G in the area so keep that in mind when you decide to sell because ranch work sucks in the Texas heat.

Yes, bellville. Cat Spring, specifically. That being said I believe they were tested for minerals in the last ten years and it didn't find shit. 

48 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

There is critical water based pipeline infrastruture all around the Gulf Coast in Texas and LA, and specifically the Port of Houston and other spots in LA. I'm not an O&G dude, but listening to some folks talk, it seems like there is potential big dollar infrastructure risk to those assets by rising waters. But I'm sure someone else on this thread who actually works in that place can explain. Becuase I don't see the US building a giant dyke system like the Netherlands across the gulf coast. 

Edited by SydneyCarton

13 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

So how come when the ice in my tea melts it doesn’t overflow my glass? Level stays the same.

Ice shelves and glaciers and along the coast and interior of Antarctica/Greenland/Arctic nations is on land and not in the water. 

https://www.jpl.nasa.gov/edu/teach/activity/whats-causing-sea-level-rise-land-ice-vs-sea-ice/

1 hour ago, Bevo said:

Probably true, but the cause of global warming is over population. So, from a selfish perspective, better them than us. And from an ecological perspective, better for it to happen in large developing country population centers: Such countries will have the most impact on curbing global warming.

Makes me wonder how much of the farming done along the Ganges and Mekong (for example) is for substinence versus export.  

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

Yes, bellville. Cat Spring, specifically. That being said I believe they were tested for minerals in the last ten years and it didn't find shit. 

There is critical water based pipeline infrastruture all around the Gulf Coast in Texas and LA, and specifically the Port of Houston and other spots in LA. I'm not an O&G dude, but listening to some folks talk, it seems like there is potential big dollar infrastructure risk to those assets by rising waters. But I'm sure someone else on this thread who actually works in that place can explain. Becuase I don't see the US building a giant dyke system like the Netherlands across the gulf coast. 

Gulf Coast Dykes would be a great name for an all lesbian Chicks cover band