2023 Fall Camp Thread of Dominance

USMCHorn

4 minutes ago, Fud said:

Hill getting immediate first team playing time as a passing situational sub package edge rusher while also learning off the ball stuff and subbing in with the backups in PK's hockey line shifts makes the most sense to me. You put him in a situation where he can be impactful right now while learning a tough position so he can take over there later in the year or next year

Pretty sure that's how LSU used Perkins last year.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Fud said:

Hill getting immediate first team playing time as a passing situational sub package edge rusher while also learning off the ball stuff and subbing in with the backups in PK's hockey line shifts makes the most sense to me. You put him in a situation where he can be impactful right now while learning a tough position so he can take over there later in the year or next year

I know it was "just the Spring Game", but Hill seemed to be in the backfield every play that he was in. I can't wait to see him destroy humans. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

With Collins getting time at DE, have to think they've come up with a system that makes sense for Bledsoe to play there as well. No clue how Ross is going to get it done at 260 lbs. But pioneering a package/path that gets Bledsoe onto the field is half the battle, imo. 

Forgot Bledsoe had surgery Spring 2022.

Bobby mentioned this morning Bledsoe had 2022 hernia surgery, but I also found this...

April 13, 2022... The Longhorns are set to miss Bledsoe for the rest of spring camp due to appendicitis, which he apparently suffered late last week. Bledsoe reportedly needed surgery last week.

Edited by LTtxfan

1 hour ago, Codaxx said:

Glad to hear Sark's comments on Hill.  He is cross training at Edge, because he will be in pass rushing packages. Sounds like they see a talented player that is disruptive and will find ways to get him on the field, while he is still learning to play his position. 

Didn't they say similar stuff about Overshown around this time last year? I recall one of the 9.95'rs saying to expect PK to use Overshown the way he had used Travis Freeney in his final year. Maybe it was just another Ian Boyd fever dream like moving Whittington to safety. 

22 hours ago, Longhornlove said:

At the University of Texas he absolutely fucking sucked as the head coach. You don't get fired for being good. Don't be a dumbass.

It took a lot longer in this thread to see a response to that stupid ass post than I thought.   A lotta surly must have futureman muted. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

16 minutes ago, Da Fino said:

Didn't they say similar stuff about Overshown around this time last year? I recall one of the 9.95'rs saying to expect PK to use Overshown the way he had used Travis Freeney in his final year. Maybe it was just another Ian Boyd fever dream like moving Whittington to safety. 

They did use Overshown in that role last year, but that was easy. Overshown was a 5th year senior. Its easy to get him on the field and give him multiple assignments. Hill is probably a better athlete/football player, than ILB at this point. Sounds like they are finding ways to get him on the field and limit his responsibilities,  until they feel like they can trust Hill at ILB.  This is a much better use of a talented Freshman, that keeping Cedric Benson on the bench for the OU game. 

Edited by Codaxx

6. 1966--Darrell Royal, Texas football coach, asked if the abnormal number of Longhorn injuries this season resulted from poor physical conditioning:

"One player was lost because all 3 of his appendix came out. How do you go about getting an appendix in condition for football?"

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

An appendectomy is a long road to recovery.  
If they got it before it burst it isn't too bad for a youngster in great shape, the emergency kind (like I had after it flooded my body with poison) takes like a month before you can go back to a desk job, about 6 months before you fully feel like yourself. I lost like 20 lbs and felt pretty weak for about 3 months...and was only 26 at the time and in decent shape. (Beer league softball, flag football and sand volleyball we're all part of my after work routine)
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Codaxx said:

They did use Overshown in that role last year, but that was easy. Overshown was a 5th year senior. Its easy to get him on the field and give him multiple assignments. Hill is probably a better athlete/football player, than ILB at this point. Sounds like they are finding ways to get him on the field and limit his responsibilities,  until they feel like they can trust Hill at ILB.  This is a much better use of a talented Freshman, that keeping Cedric Benson on the bench for the OU game. 

This right, here. 

48 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

After reading some of the practice reports.  I have a good feeling about this season guys

I just think back to all the questions we had going into last season and how they were answered. I feel like i have a lot fewer questions and the practice reports, though often unreliable, seem to offer a lot more answers to these questions.

This is a clumsy way of saying, I think we have fewer holes, we're more experienced, and this staff will develop veterans into quality contributors.

Edited by Ricky Butler
  • Like 1

Feldman is a kind of a twit, but I do like reading the Freaks list every year. We have one entry, not exactly who I would have expected:

Spoiler

18. Byron Murphy II, Texas, defensive tackle

The Longhorns have gotten a lot better in the trenches on Steve Sarkisian’s watch, and the 6-1, 308-pounder is a good example why. The junior, who had 26 tackles and three TFLs last year, has been clocked at 18 MPH on the GPS, had a team-best 455-pound front squat, and power-cleaned 375 pounds. He could’ve gone heavier, but strength coach Torre Becton shut him down. Becton says Murphy could’ve gotten 500 on the front squat and 405 in the power clean.

https://theathletic.com/4768413/2023/08/15/bruce-feldman-college-football-freaks-list/?source=user_shared_article

Some familiar names too:

29. Tyler Owens

65. Kenyatta Watson II

• Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

Feldman is a kind of a twit, but I do like reading the Freaks list every year. We have one entry, not exactly who I would have expected:

Reveal hidden contents

18. Byron Murphy II, Texas, defensive tackle

The Longhorns have gotten a lot better in the trenches on Steve Sarkisian’s watch, and the 6-1, 308-pounder is a good example why. The junior, who had 26 tackles and three TFLs last year, has been clocked at 18 MPH on the GPS, had a team-best 455-pound front squat, and power-cleaned 375 pounds. He could’ve gone heavier, but strength coach Torre Becton shut him down. Becton says Murphy could’ve gotten 500 on the front squat and 405 in the power clean.

https://theathletic.com/4768413/2023/08/15/bruce-feldman-college-football-freaks-list/?source=user_shared_article

Some familiar names too:

29. Tyler Owens

65. Kenyatta Watson II

Paywall'ed. Here's a link to the full article:

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

F the Brocks, but Blake loves this team ... 247Sports did the Top 100 players in CFB.  Blake wrote the article; he says he consulted with a bunch of others in compiling the list.

6 Horns among the top 56 players in all of CFB.

#17 Ewers

#28 Banks

#32 Worthy

#38 Sanders

#46 Mitchell

#56 Ford

(FYI ... one Aggie.  Evan Stewart.  Wait until they find out who compiled the list.  Lulz.  Also, thought he blanked OU .... until I got to #100 (Gabriel).)

Spoiler

Ranking college football's top 100 players for 2023

Blake Brockermeyer

Who are the best players in college football ahead of the 2023 season? In his preseason edition, former collegiate All-American and first-round NFL Draft choice Blake Brockermeyer breaks down his list of household names, rising stars and even a few players you've never heard of.

The first games of the 2023 college football season are right around the corner, which means it's time to begin wrapping up our preseason content slate at 247Sports — but not before we unload a project I've spent a good chunk of the summer on: Ranking the top 100 players for the upcoming season. 

With the help of a few other in-house analysts, I whittled down an initial list of nearly 200 players. The process leaned heavily on film analysis and also included sourcing of my college coaching contacts across the country, plus some plain old common sense. This won't be the last time we rank these players, so stay tuned all season. 

Let's get straight into the list of the top 100 players in college football.

1. Caleb Williams, QB, USC — Consensus top player in the country. Elite dual-threat player who can make all the throws. High football intelligence. Franchise quarterback. I broke down Williams' game a few months back. 

2. Marvin Harrison Jr., WR, Ohio State — Perhaps the top wide receiver in school history, from an elite list of playmakers. Future All-Pro.

3. Brock Bowers, TE, Georgia — Best tight end prospect in the modern age of college football. Elite traits across the board.

4. Drake Maye, QB, UNC — Uber-talented arm talent with incredible ceiling. Likely No. 2 quarterback off the board in April. Better runner than given credit for, and can carry a team on his back. My colleague Clint Brewster thinks Maye is the top quarterback in college football. I obviously disagree but that's no shade at Maye. 

(Olu Fashanu; Photo: Harvey Levine-FOS/247)
5. Olu Fashanu, OT, Penn State — Top O-line prospect who likely would have been first OL off the board in the 2023 NFL Draft. Must stay healthy this season. Future NFL left tackle.

6. Harold Perkins, LB, LSU — Dynamic chess piece who has only scratched the surface of his abilities. Will be a nightmare for opposing offenses in 2023.

7. Kool-Aid McKinstry, CB, Alabama — Top returning corner in the country who has the size, skills and experience to be a game changer.

8. Blake Corum, RB, Michigan — Dynamic player who will be a major factor in the Heisman Trophy race and Michigan’s run at the College Football Playoff in 2023. Can make you miss and has a great feel for blocking schemes to maximize yards.

9. Bralen Trice, EDGE, Washington — Excellent natural edge rusher who has great hips, twitch and can finish. Will be a force in the Pac-12.

10. Jared Verse, EDGE, Florida State — Big-time playmaker who shined in 2022. With an improved supporting cast around him this season, watch out. Can be a game changer.

11. Joe Alt, OT, Notre Dame — Excellent player who has prototype size and skills to dominate. Has improved each season and will go high in the 2023 NFL Draft.

(Photo: Jonathan Bachman, Getty)
12. Quinshon Judkins, RB, Ole Miss — He is the Rebels’ best player and most-critical piece of an explosive offense. Monster that is a gamebreaker and future first-rounder.

13. Kalen King, CB, Penn State — Versatile defender who is coming off an excellent season opposite Joey Porter Jr. Don’t expect a lot of throws King’s way this season. Excellent pass rushers in front of him are going to only help.

14. Jeremiah Trotter Jr., LB, Clemson — Another dominant ’backer in a long line of good one’s every year. Will be a force on a loaded defense. Can do it all at a high level.

15. Emeka Egbuka, WR, Ohio State — Would be WR1 on 99.9% of teams. Versatile to play anywhere on the field. Elite player who will be first-rounder in April.

16. JC Latham, OT, Alabama — Next-in-line first-rounder at Alabama. Incredible strength and plays mean. Will be a left tackle in the NFL, shocked he’s not one now as the Crimson Tide are keeping him on the right side. 

17. Quinn Ewers, QB, Texas — Elite arm talent who had an underwhelming 2022 season getting back in the swing of things. I’m expecting a huge season on a stacked offense full of playmakers.

18. Bo Nix, QB, Oregon — An exceptional dual-threat playmaker that made the jump in 2022. Would not be surprised to see him go in April’s first 40 picks.

19. Dallas Turner, OLB, Alabama — Most dynamic linebacker in the country. Athletic traits off the charts. Will Alabama let him take over for Will Anderson as a pass rusher or continue to play him more as an outside ’backer?

20. Jordan Travis, QB, Florida State — Has shown improvement every year and has tons of weapons this year to be a Heisman-type player. Great deep-ball thrower and leader.

21. Michael Penix Jr., QB, Washington — The southpaw was incredible in first season at UDub. Huge upside and has some exceptional weapons to put up a huge season.

22. Smael Mondon, LB, Georgia — Three-phase tacking machine that is a critical piece in Kirby Smart’s elite defense. Plays with high football intelligence.

23. Josh Newton, CB, TCU — Excellent cover skills and plays the ball as well as anyone when it’s in the air. Will see very few balls in 2023.

24. Jayden Daniels, QB, LSU — Dynamic dual-threat player who is expected to be a force in 2023. Can he consistently beat you throwing the ball? If he can, LSU is going to have a huge year. I’m betting he can.

25. Braelon Allen, RB, Wisconsin — Wisconsin’s new spread offense is only going to help him find more lanes. Big fan of his potential. Has been a force in his first two seasons.

Travis Hunter
(Travis Hunter; Photo: Liz Munsterteiger, 247Sports)

26. Travis Hunter, ATH, Colorado — An excellent two-way player who will get to show off his skills against a huge uptick in talent weekly. No reason to believe he won’t be great.

27. Cooper Beebe, OL, Kansas State — The returning top offensive lineman in the Big 12 for a reason. Excellent versatile player who plays with excellent technique and will play in the league for a long time.

28. Kelvin Banks, OT, Texas — Texas finally hit on a top offensive lineman after a long drought. Elite player who will be a top-five pick in the 2025 NFL Draft.

29. Javon Bullard, DB, Georgia — A freaky player who has incredible versatility to stick his nose in the box and cover 1 on 1. Elite player.

30. Jaheim Oatis, DL, Alabama — A 6-foot-5, 328-pound monster in the middle of Alabama’s defense. Expect a dominant season stuffing the run. Can he improve his pass-rush repertoire?

31. Riley Leonard, QB, Duke — A potential first-rounder who’s a major reason for Duke’s relevancy. Dual-threat who’s better than you think. The next Daniel Jones?

32. Xavier Worthy, WR, Texas — Had a disappointing sophomore campaign with too many drops. Elite talent with speed and playmaker.

33. Rome Odunze, WR, Washington — A dynamic player with elite speed and can go get the ball. Burner.

34. Raheim Sanders, RB, Arkansas — “Rocket” had a monster 2022 season toting the rock. He and KJ Jefferson are, and will, be a nightmare to stop in the Arkansas run game.

35. Evan Stewart, WR, Texas A&M — After an impressive freshman campaign, the former top-10 recruit looks to put it all together in 2023. Exceptional athlete with ridiculous ceiling.

36. J.J. McCarthy, QB, Michigan — A dual-threat quarterback who loves to throw on the move. A leader that shined in lots of clutch moments in 2022. Has a high ceiling, and takes care of the ball well.

37. Graham Barton, OT, Duke — One of the top returning tackles in the country. Is a technically sound and a finisher. The NFL knows all about him and has versatility.

38. Ja’Tavion Sanders, TE, Texas — A plus athlete who was a surprise playmaker in 2022. Has the potential to be TE2 in April, after Brock Bowers. Has soft hands and is physical.

39. KJ Jefferson, QB, Arkansas — A nightmare to tackle as a runner and underrated passer. Has steadily improved his passing mechanics and really made a jump in 2022.

40. Chop Robinson, EDGE, Penn State — Twitch and effort jump off the tape. Needs to finish better in his first year as a starter. Expecting a huge year on a nasty PSU defense.

41. Sam Hartman, QB, Notre Dame — Notre Dame has its best quarterback in years. An accurate passer with tons of experience and high football IQ.

(Amarius Mims; Photo: Kari Hodges/UGA Athletics)
42. Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia — All-world traits with size, length and athleticism. Would be shocked if he is not a high-first-rounder, despite his lack of reps.

43. Will Johnson, CB, Michigan — An excellent corner with range and the ability to matchup versus a No. 1 receiver. The freshman played his best ball late in the season against the Wolverines’ best competition.

44. Nick Singleton, RB, Penn State — Top-tier back who has the ability to take over a game. Explosive runner who can hit the home run at any moment.

45. Malaki Starks, CB, Georgia — A freaky playmaker — in fact, the No. 1 'freak' recruit per 247Sports in 2022's cycle — on a loaded defense. Will be in the Jim Thorpe Award conversation approaching December.

46. AD Mitchell, WR, Texas — A big-time talent, on a stacked Texas offense, who can hopefully stay healthy more in 2023. The No. 1 receiver in the transfer portal. 

47. Tommy Eichenberg, LB, Ohio State — A throwback football player who has a nose for the ball and is an excellent tackler. Is a leader and the heart of the Ohio State defense.

48. Jamon Dumas-Johnson, LB, Georgia — A force in the middle of defense who can make all the plays. Teamed with Mondon gives UGA best box linebackers in the country along with Clemson.

(Photo: Getty)
49. Barrett Carter, LB, Clemson — A versatile three-down ’backer who likes to play in the opponent's backfield. An explosive and high-ceiling talent. Carter and Trotter (No. 14) give Clemson two top-50 players at the linebacker spot. 

50. Jordan Morgan, OT, Arizona — A talented tackle with a huge ceiling. Excellent pass protector. Needs to stay healthy if Arizona wants to compete in the Pac-12 this season.

51. Zak Zinter, OG, Michigan — A physical lineman who is an excellent puller and finisher. A leader who will be a long-time NFL starter.

52. Mekhi Wingo, DT, LSU — Was a huge transfer addition in 2022 to an excellent defensive line. A versatile and powerful piece who is hard to move.

53. Kamren Kinchens, S, Miami — The top returning safety is a ballhawk. He and James Williams form a top tandem. Kinchens needs to improve his tackling in space.

54. Joe Milton III, QB, Tennessee — Might have the biggest ceiling in this year’s quarterback class. Will be one of more interesting storylines to watch this season.

55. Will Howard, QB, Kansas State — One of K-State’s best-playing quarterbacks in recent memory. Can hurt you with his legs just as easy. An accurate passer who’s going to be a problem in the Big 12.

56. Jaylan Ford, LB, Texas — Had a monster 2022 season as a first-year starter. Expecting an even better season for the Preseason Big 12 Player of the Year. 

(Abdul Carter; Photo: Getty)
57. Abdul Carter, LB, PSU — Had a great start to his career with excellent production as a freshman. Expect a better version in 2023. Bright future.

58. Malachi Corley, WR, Western Kentucky — Pass-catching machine who won’t fly under the radar in the 2023 NFL Draft.

59. Jalon Daniels. QB, Kansas — Had a major breakout season last year. Huge reason for KU’s climb back to respectability.

60. Patrick Paul, OT, Houston — Long arms, great feet and an excellent pass protector. Will have the ability to make some money going against a serious uptick in talent.

61. Malik Nabers, WR, LSU — An explosive playmaker who’s next up in LSU’s long line of great receivers. A freaky talent.

62. Mykel Williams, EDGE, Georgia — Expect a breakout season for Williams, as he’s Georgia’s most-talented pass rusher. Don’t focus on the numbers, as UGA loves to rotate its defensive linemen.

63. Trey Benson, RB, Florida State — Has the speed, vision and ability to get the tough yards (and also take it to the house). He will make you miss and look foolish in space.

(Jalen McMillan; Photo: Getty)
64. Jalen McMillan, WR, Washington — A top-tier receiver who gets overshadowed by teammate Odunze (No. 33). Exceptional talent.

65. Kamari Lassiter, CB, Georgia — Another stud returning starter on a loaded secondary. Be careful throwing at him.

66. J.T. Tuimoloau, EDGE, Ohio State — A playmaker from the edge who had some big moments in 2022. His Penn State performance was one for the books. I’m expecting a bigger leap in 2023.

67. Maason Smith, DT, LSU — A big-time talent who would likely be much higher if he had not gotten injured in the opening game of 2022.

68. Johnny Wilson, WR, Florida State — A mammoth receiver who broke out last season. Has the length and wingspan to cause nightmares for opposing secondary’s. A big play waiting to happen.

69. Dorian Singer, WR, USC — Expect some big numbers from this transfer playmaker by way of Arizona with Caleb Williams (No. 1) targeting him a ton.

70. Cedric Gray, LB, UNC — One of the best defensive players whom you might not know much about outside the ACC. Worth the watch. A baller and a tackling machine.

71. Ladd McConkey, WR, Georgia — One of the most-underrated players in the country. Will play 10 years in the NFL. Playmaker.

72. Christian Haynes, OT, UConn — A talented tackle. Will be a top-50 pick in the draft.

(Will Campbell;Photo: Getty)
73. Will Campbell, OT, LSU — A mega-talented tackle who more than held his own as a freshman starter at left tackle. Has a bright future.

74. Antwane “Juice” Wells, WR, South Carolina — Should benefit as Spencer Rattler’s go-to target on a team with high expectations. Wells is a dynamic player with versatility to play inside and out.

75. Cooper Dejean DB, Iowa — Next up in a long line of talented defensive backs. A ballhawk and smothers opposing receivers. A great tackler and loves the Pick 6s.

76. Michael Pratt, QB, Tulane — An experienced starter who has developed into one of the better quarterbacks in the country.

77. Keith Randolph, DT, Illinois —A dominant space eater who is overshadowed by stud teammate Jer’zhan Newton. Versatile and powerful at the point.

78. Spencer Rattler, QB, South Carolina — Rattler finished well and threw the ball with confidence late in the season. Lots of improvement, but needs to take care of the ball better.

79. Oronde Gadsden II, TE, Syracuse — A hybrid tight end who has great hands and lives in the slot. Can stretch the field and catch the contested balls.

80. Tyler Davis, DT, Clemson — A menace in the trenches and team leader. Multiyear starter who creates chaos in opponents backfields.

81. Brevyn Spann-Ford, TE, Minnesota — An excellent short-to-intermediate weapon who can move the chains, and defenders off the ball. Soft hands, and will be a major weapon this season. Can block as well.

(Michigan's Kris Jenkins; Photo: Getty)
82. Kris Jenkins, DT, Michigan — A force in the middle of defense who is a one-man wrecking crew. Plays up against the toughest competition.

83. Beaux Limmer, OG, Arkansas — A great athlete and technician who can also maul the big boys inside. A versatile and leader up front for the Hogs.

84. Will Shipley, RB, Clemson — An excellent all-around back who can get the hard yards and has the speed to take it to the house.

85. Jack Nelson, OT, Wisconsin — A versatile and nasty player who will benefit from a more-balanced system. Has excellent length. Expect a big year.

86. Tory Horton, WR, Colorado State — Great length, speed and production despite not being a household name on the national scale just yet. He will be, by the season's end.

87. Sedrick Van Pran, C, Georgia — One of the top centers in the country who has tons of experience. Physical and nasty. Will be an All-American.

88. TreVeyon Henderson, RB, Ohio State — Betting that the 2021 version shows up this season, healthy and a problem for opposing defenses. A fluid back with great vision and speed.

(Grayson McCall; Photo: Nicholas LoVerde, USA TODAY Sports)

89. Grayson McCall, QB, Coastal Carolina — A tough and gritty playmaker who will do whatever it takes to get the win. Returns for one final season in Conway after flirting with the transfer portal and some big-name SEC schools. 

90. Ty’Ron Hopper, LB, Missouri — A twitchy three-down backer who flourished in Year 1 as a starter after transferring from Florida. Has a great nose for the ball and bad intentions when he gets there.

91. Donovan Ezeiruaku, EDGE, Boston College — An explosive edge rusher in first year as a starter. Was a force in 2022. You will find him in the opponent’s backfield the majority of the game. Solid against the run as well.

92. Laiatu Latu, EDGE, UCLA — An explosive edge rusher who has some natural ability to get to the quarterback. Expecting a big 2023.

93. Jason Marshall, CB, Florida — A talented corner who has length and speed, and the skills to play the ball in the air.

94. J.Michael Sturdivant, WR, UCLA — A fluid playmaker and route runner who’s probably the best receiver you have never heard of. Transferred in from Cal. 

95. Calen Bullock, S, USC — Long safety with great ball skills and straight-line speed. Expect a jump in physicality against the run in 2023.

96. Dontay Corleone, DT, Cincinnati — The Godfather! Corleone has HEAVY hands and consistently crushes the pocket in both phases. Great leverage and good hand placement makes it rough for opposing lineman.

97. Brant Kuithe, TE, Utah — The Utes love to target their tight ends and Kuithe should be a big-time weapon for them. Coming off an injury, Utah needs him to stay healthy.

98. JJ Weaver, OLB, Kentucky — Twitch edge rusher with incredible length. Excellent in coverage. Will be a force, especially if he can consistently pressure the quarterback in 2023. Fun fact: He has six fingers.

99. Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia — An experienced veteran with a nasty demeanor. Throwback player who’s a leader on an experienced offensive line.

100. Dillion Gabriel, QB, OU — An experienced and talented southpaw who took a step back last season. Excellent deep-ball thrower. Expect a bounce-back season in 2023 but must stay healthy.  

• Hook 'Em 5

1 hour ago, Getafix said:

F the Brocks, but Blake loves this team ... 247Sports did the Top 100 players in CFB.  Blake wrote the article; he says he consulted with a bunch of others in compiling the list.

6 Horns among the top 56 players in all of CFB.

#17 Ewers

#28 Banks

#32 Worthy

#38 Sanders

#46 Mitchell

#56 Ford

(FYI ... one Aggie.  Evan Stewart.  Wait until they find out who compiled the list.  Lulz.  Also, thought he blanked OU .... until I got to #100 (Gabriel).)

Reveal hidden contents

Ranking college football's top 100 players for 2023

Blake Brockermeyer

Who are the best players in college football ahead of the 2023 season? In his preseason edition, former collegiate All-American and first-round NFL Draft choice Blake Brockermeyer breaks down his list of household names, rising stars and even a few players you've never heard of.

The first games of the 2023 college football season are right around the corner, which means it's time to begin wrapping up our preseason content slate at 247Sports — but not before we unload a project I've spent a good chunk of the summer on: Ranking the top 100 players for the upcoming season. 

With the help of a few other in-house analysts, I whittled down an initial list of nearly 200 players. The process leaned heavily on film analysis and also included sourcing of my college coaching contacts across the country, plus some plain old common sense. This won't be the last time we rank these players, so stay tuned all season. 

Let's get straight into the list of the top 100 players in college football.

1. Caleb Williams, QB, USC — Consensus top player in the country. Elite dual-threat player who can make all the throws. High football intelligence. Franchise quarterback. I broke down Williams' game a few months back. 

2. Marvin Harrison Jr., WR, Ohio State — Perhaps the top wide receiver in school history, from an elite list of playmakers. Future All-Pro.

3. Brock Bowers, TE, Georgia — Best tight end prospect in the modern age of college football. Elite traits across the board.

4. Drake Maye, QB, UNC — Uber-talented arm talent with incredible ceiling. Likely No. 2 quarterback off the board in April. Better runner than given credit for, and can carry a team on his back. My colleague Clint Brewster thinks Maye is the top quarterback in college football. I obviously disagree but that's no shade at Maye. 

(Olu Fashanu; Photo: Harvey Levine-FOS/247)
5. Olu Fashanu, OT, Penn State — Top O-line prospect who likely would have been first OL off the board in the 2023 NFL Draft. Must stay healthy this season. Future NFL left tackle.

6. Harold Perkins, LB, LSU — Dynamic chess piece who has only scratched the surface of his abilities. Will be a nightmare for opposing offenses in 2023.

7. Kool-Aid McKinstry, CB, Alabama — Top returning corner in the country who has the size, skills and experience to be a game changer.

8. Blake Corum, RB, Michigan — Dynamic player who will be a major factor in the Heisman Trophy race and Michigan’s run at the College Football Playoff in 2023. Can make you miss and has a great feel for blocking schemes to maximize yards.

9. Bralen Trice, EDGE, Washington — Excellent natural edge rusher who has great hips, twitch and can finish. Will be a force in the Pac-12.

10. Jared Verse, EDGE, Florida State — Big-time playmaker who shined in 2022. With an improved supporting cast around him this season, watch out. Can be a game changer.

11. Joe Alt, OT, Notre Dame — Excellent player who has prototype size and skills to dominate. Has improved each season and will go high in the 2023 NFL Draft.

(Photo: Jonathan Bachman, Getty)
12. Quinshon Judkins, RB, Ole Miss — He is the Rebels’ best player and most-critical piece of an explosive offense. Monster that is a gamebreaker and future first-rounder.

13. Kalen King, CB, Penn State — Versatile defender who is coming off an excellent season opposite Joey Porter Jr. Don’t expect a lot of throws King’s way this season. Excellent pass rushers in front of him are going to only help.

14. Jeremiah Trotter Jr., LB, Clemson — Another dominant ’backer in a long line of good one’s every year. Will be a force on a loaded defense. Can do it all at a high level.

15. Emeka Egbuka, WR, Ohio State — Would be WR1 on 99.9% of teams. Versatile to play anywhere on the field. Elite player who will be first-rounder in April.

16. JC Latham, OT, Alabama — Next-in-line first-rounder at Alabama. Incredible strength and plays mean. Will be a left tackle in the NFL, shocked he’s not one now as the Crimson Tide are keeping him on the right side. 

17. Quinn Ewers, QB, Texas — Elite arm talent who had an underwhelming 2022 season getting back in the swing of things. I’m expecting a huge season on a stacked offense full of playmakers.

18. Bo Nix, QB, Oregon — An exceptional dual-threat playmaker that made the jump in 2022. Would not be surprised to see him go in April’s first 40 picks.

19. Dallas Turner, OLB, Alabama — Most dynamic linebacker in the country. Athletic traits off the charts. Will Alabama let him take over for Will Anderson as a pass rusher or continue to play him more as an outside ’backer?

20. Jordan Travis, QB, Florida State — Has shown improvement every year and has tons of weapons this year to be a Heisman-type player. Great deep-ball thrower and leader.

21. Michael Penix Jr., QB, Washington — The southpaw was incredible in first season at UDub. Huge upside and has some exceptional weapons to put up a huge season.

22. Smael Mondon, LB, Georgia — Three-phase tacking machine that is a critical piece in Kirby Smart’s elite defense. Plays with high football intelligence.

23. Josh Newton, CB, TCU — Excellent cover skills and plays the ball as well as anyone when it’s in the air. Will see very few balls in 2023.

24. Jayden Daniels, QB, LSU — Dynamic dual-threat player who is expected to be a force in 2023. Can he consistently beat you throwing the ball? If he can, LSU is going to have a huge year. I’m betting he can.

25. Braelon Allen, RB, Wisconsin — Wisconsin’s new spread offense is only going to help him find more lanes. Big fan of his potential. Has been a force in his first two seasons.

Travis Hunter
(Travis Hunter; Photo: Liz Munsterteiger, 247Sports)

26. Travis Hunter, ATH, Colorado — An excellent two-way player who will get to show off his skills against a huge uptick in talent weekly. No reason to believe he won’t be great.

27. Cooper Beebe, OL, Kansas State — The returning top offensive lineman in the Big 12 for a reason. Excellent versatile player who plays with excellent technique and will play in the league for a long time.

28. Kelvin Banks, OT, Texas — Texas finally hit on a top offensive lineman after a long drought. Elite player who will be a top-five pick in the 2025 NFL Draft.

29. Javon Bullard, DB, Georgia — A freaky player who has incredible versatility to stick his nose in the box and cover 1 on 1. Elite player.

30. Jaheim Oatis, DL, Alabama — A 6-foot-5, 328-pound monster in the middle of Alabama’s defense. Expect a dominant season stuffing the run. Can he improve his pass-rush repertoire?

31. Riley Leonard, QB, Duke — A potential first-rounder who’s a major reason for Duke’s relevancy. Dual-threat who’s better than you think. The next Daniel Jones?

32. Xavier Worthy, WR, Texas — Had a disappointing sophomore campaign with too many drops. Elite talent with speed and playmaker.

33. Rome Odunze, WR, Washington — A dynamic player with elite speed and can go get the ball. Burner.

34. Raheim Sanders, RB, Arkansas — “Rocket” had a monster 2022 season toting the rock. He and KJ Jefferson are, and will, be a nightmare to stop in the Arkansas run game.

35. Evan Stewart, WR, Texas A&M — After an impressive freshman campaign, the former top-10 recruit looks to put it all together in 2023. Exceptional athlete with ridiculous ceiling.

36. J.J. McCarthy, QB, Michigan — A dual-threat quarterback who loves to throw on the move. A leader that shined in lots of clutch moments in 2022. Has a high ceiling, and takes care of the ball well.

37. Graham Barton, OT, Duke — One of the top returning tackles in the country. Is a technically sound and a finisher. The NFL knows all about him and has versatility.

38. Ja’Tavion Sanders, TE, Texas — A plus athlete who was a surprise playmaker in 2022. Has the potential to be TE2 in April, after Brock Bowers. Has soft hands and is physical.

39. KJ Jefferson, QB, Arkansas — A nightmare to tackle as a runner and underrated passer. Has steadily improved his passing mechanics and really made a jump in 2022.

40. Chop Robinson, EDGE, Penn State — Twitch and effort jump off the tape. Needs to finish better in his first year as a starter. Expecting a huge year on a nasty PSU defense.

41. Sam Hartman, QB, Notre Dame — Notre Dame has its best quarterback in years. An accurate passer with tons of experience and high football IQ.

(Amarius Mims; Photo: Kari Hodges/UGA Athletics)
42. Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia — All-world traits with size, length and athleticism. Would be shocked if he is not a high-first-rounder, despite his lack of reps.

43. Will Johnson, CB, Michigan — An excellent corner with range and the ability to matchup versus a No. 1 receiver. The freshman played his best ball late in the season against the Wolverines’ best competition.

44. Nick Singleton, RB, Penn State — Top-tier back who has the ability to take over a game. Explosive runner who can hit the home run at any moment.

45. Malaki Starks, CB, Georgia — A freaky playmaker — in fact, the No. 1 'freak' recruit per 247Sports in 2022's cycle — on a loaded defense. Will be in the Jim Thorpe Award conversation approaching December.

46. AD Mitchell, WR, Texas — A big-time talent, on a stacked Texas offense, who can hopefully stay healthy more in 2023. The No. 1 receiver in the transfer portal. 

47. Tommy Eichenberg, LB, Ohio State — A throwback football player who has a nose for the ball and is an excellent tackler. Is a leader and the heart of the Ohio State defense.

48. Jamon Dumas-Johnson, LB, Georgia — A force in the middle of defense who can make all the plays. Teamed with Mondon gives UGA best box linebackers in the country along with Clemson.

(Photo: Getty)
49. Barrett Carter, LB, Clemson — A versatile three-down ’backer who likes to play in the opponent's backfield. An explosive and high-ceiling talent. Carter and Trotter (No. 14) give Clemson two top-50 players at the linebacker spot. 

50. Jordan Morgan, OT, Arizona — A talented tackle with a huge ceiling. Excellent pass protector. Needs to stay healthy if Arizona wants to compete in the Pac-12 this season.

51. Zak Zinter, OG, Michigan — A physical lineman who is an excellent puller and finisher. A leader who will be a long-time NFL starter.

52. Mekhi Wingo, DT, LSU — Was a huge transfer addition in 2022 to an excellent defensive line. A versatile and powerful piece who is hard to move.

53. Kamren Kinchens, S, Miami — The top returning safety is a ballhawk. He and James Williams form a top tandem. Kinchens needs to improve his tackling in space.

54. Joe Milton III, QB, Tennessee — Might have the biggest ceiling in this year’s quarterback class. Will be one of more interesting storylines to watch this season.

55. Will Howard, QB, Kansas State — One of K-State’s best-playing quarterbacks in recent memory. Can hurt you with his legs just as easy. An accurate passer who’s going to be a problem in the Big 12.

56. Jaylan Ford, LB, Texas — Had a monster 2022 season as a first-year starter. Expecting an even better season for the Preseason Big 12 Player of the Year. 

(Abdul Carter; Photo: Getty)
57. Abdul Carter, LB, PSU — Had a great start to his career with excellent production as a freshman. Expect a better version in 2023. Bright future.

58. Malachi Corley, WR, Western Kentucky — Pass-catching machine who won’t fly under the radar in the 2023 NFL Draft.

59. Jalon Daniels. QB, Kansas — Had a major breakout season last year. Huge reason for KU’s climb back to respectability.

60. Patrick Paul, OT, Houston — Long arms, great feet and an excellent pass protector. Will have the ability to make some money going against a serious uptick in talent.

61. Malik Nabers, WR, LSU — An explosive playmaker who’s next up in LSU’s long line of great receivers. A freaky talent.

62. Mykel Williams, EDGE, Georgia — Expect a breakout season for Williams, as he’s Georgia’s most-talented pass rusher. Don’t focus on the numbers, as UGA loves to rotate its defensive linemen.

63. Trey Benson, RB, Florida State — Has the speed, vision and ability to get the tough yards (and also take it to the house). He will make you miss and look foolish in space.

(Jalen McMillan; Photo: Getty)
64. Jalen McMillan, WR, Washington — A top-tier receiver who gets overshadowed by teammate Odunze (No. 33). Exceptional talent.

65. Kamari Lassiter, CB, Georgia — Another stud returning starter on a loaded secondary. Be careful throwing at him.

66. J.T. Tuimoloau, EDGE, Ohio State — A playmaker from the edge who had some big moments in 2022. His Penn State performance was one for the books. I’m expecting a bigger leap in 2023.

67. Maason Smith, DT, LSU — A big-time talent who would likely be much higher if he had not gotten injured in the opening game of 2022.

68. Johnny Wilson, WR, Florida State — A mammoth receiver who broke out last season. Has the length and wingspan to cause nightmares for opposing secondary’s. A big play waiting to happen.

69. Dorian Singer, WR, USC — Expect some big numbers from this transfer playmaker by way of Arizona with Caleb Williams (No. 1) targeting him a ton.

70. Cedric Gray, LB, UNC — One of the best defensive players whom you might not know much about outside the ACC. Worth the watch. A baller and a tackling machine.

71. Ladd McConkey, WR, Georgia — One of the most-underrated players in the country. Will play 10 years in the NFL. Playmaker.

72. Christian Haynes, OT, UConn — A talented tackle. Will be a top-50 pick in the draft.

(Will Campbell;Photo: Getty)
73. Will Campbell, OT, LSU — A mega-talented tackle who more than held his own as a freshman starter at left tackle. Has a bright future.

74. Antwane “Juice” Wells, WR, South Carolina — Should benefit as Spencer Rattler’s go-to target on a team with high expectations. Wells is a dynamic player with versatility to play inside and out.

75. Cooper Dejean DB, Iowa — Next up in a long line of talented defensive backs. A ballhawk and smothers opposing receivers. A great tackler and loves the Pick 6s.

76. Michael Pratt, QB, Tulane — An experienced starter who has developed into one of the better quarterbacks in the country.

77. Keith Randolph, DT, Illinois —A dominant space eater who is overshadowed by stud teammate Jer’zhan Newton. Versatile and powerful at the point.

78. Spencer Rattler, QB, South Carolina — Rattler finished well and threw the ball with confidence late in the season. Lots of improvement, but needs to take care of the ball better.

79. Oronde Gadsden II, TE, Syracuse — A hybrid tight end who has great hands and lives in the slot. Can stretch the field and catch the contested balls.

80. Tyler Davis, DT, Clemson — A menace in the trenches and team leader. Multiyear starter who creates chaos in opponents backfields.

81. Brevyn Spann-Ford, TE, Minnesota — An excellent short-to-intermediate weapon who can move the chains, and defenders off the ball. Soft hands, and will be a major weapon this season. Can block as well.

(Michigan's Kris Jenkins; Photo: Getty)
82. Kris Jenkins, DT, Michigan — A force in the middle of defense who is a one-man wrecking crew. Plays up against the toughest competition.

83. Beaux Limmer, OG, Arkansas — A great athlete and technician who can also maul the big boys inside. A versatile and leader up front for the Hogs.

84. Will Shipley, RB, Clemson — An excellent all-around back who can get the hard yards and has the speed to take it to the house.

85. Jack Nelson, OT, Wisconsin — A versatile and nasty player who will benefit from a more-balanced system. Has excellent length. Expect a big year.

86. Tory Horton, WR, Colorado State — Great length, speed and production despite not being a household name on the national scale just yet. He will be, by the season's end.

87. Sedrick Van Pran, C, Georgia — One of the top centers in the country who has tons of experience. Physical and nasty. Will be an All-American.

88. TreVeyon Henderson, RB, Ohio State — Betting that the 2021 version shows up this season, healthy and a problem for opposing defenses. A fluid back with great vision and speed.

(Grayson McCall; Photo: Nicholas LoVerde, USA TODAY Sports)

89. Grayson McCall, QB, Coastal Carolina — A tough and gritty playmaker who will do whatever it takes to get the win. Returns for one final season in Conway after flirting with the transfer portal and some big-name SEC schools. 

90. Ty’Ron Hopper, LB, Missouri — A twitchy three-down backer who flourished in Year 1 as a starter after transferring from Florida. Has a great nose for the ball and bad intentions when he gets there.

91. Donovan Ezeiruaku, EDGE, Boston College — An explosive edge rusher in first year as a starter. Was a force in 2022. You will find him in the opponent’s backfield the majority of the game. Solid against the run as well.

92. Laiatu Latu, EDGE, UCLA — An explosive edge rusher who has some natural ability to get to the quarterback. Expecting a big 2023.

93. Jason Marshall, CB, Florida — A talented corner who has length and speed, and the skills to play the ball in the air.

94. J.Michael Sturdivant, WR, UCLA — A fluid playmaker and route runner who’s probably the best receiver you have never heard of. Transferred in from Cal. 

95. Calen Bullock, S, USC — Long safety with great ball skills and straight-line speed. Expect a jump in physicality against the run in 2023.

96. Dontay Corleone, DT, Cincinnati — The Godfather! Corleone has HEAVY hands and consistently crushes the pocket in both phases. Great leverage and good hand placement makes it rough for opposing lineman.

97. Brant Kuithe, TE, Utah — The Utes love to target their tight ends and Kuithe should be a big-time weapon for them. Coming off an injury, Utah needs him to stay healthy.

98. JJ Weaver, OLB, Kentucky — Twitch edge rusher with incredible length. Excellent in coverage. Will be a force, especially if he can consistently pressure the quarterback in 2023. Fun fact: He has six fingers.

99. Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia — An experienced veteran with a nasty demeanor. Throwback player who’s a leader on an experienced offensive line.

100. Dillion Gabriel, QB, OU — An experienced and talented southpaw who took a step back last season. Excellent deep-ball thrower. Expect a bounce-back season in 2023 but must stay healthy.  

ESPN not so kind to Longhorn players

#59 Worthy 

#83 Cantalon

#88 Ford

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/38122924/top-100-players-caleb-williams-maye-bowers-2023

2 hours ago, turtlepond said:

only thing I know shit about is hernias....i had a nasty bilateral hernia repaired in May.  It took 8 weeks to feel somewhat normal, but i lost an easy 6-8" in wingspan, so there's that....still have 2 appendii (sp?).. Yeah, appendii...

Is your new nickname T-Rex? 

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

You know who we haven't heard a peep about who I was expecting the usual 9.95 hype for......Kitan Crawford. 

There was a time 2 years ago when the 9.95ers tried to say he was the best DB in the program long term.

"Super athletic and just needs to get up to speed on the mental side" turned into "he's not football smart and probably never will be"

• Hook 'Em 1

29 minutes ago, texifornia said:

It was a 9.95er. I can't remember who, but he's an idiot who doesn't know football or anatomy so that really narrows it down.

Well, at least 25% of our 995ers can’t see under their gunt or get out of a car without assistance, so I buy limited understanding of anatomy. 

26 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

If not for the ridiculousness our country has endured over the last 8 years, this would win the prize for the dumbest thing ever posted on the intertrons.

Oh, it’s fucking real. I swear it might be roach. Or Anwar.  But I really want it to be Ian Boyd. 

@Fud can you remember?

Edited by SydneyCarton

30 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Well, at least 25% of our 995ers can’t see under their gunt or get out of a car without assistance, so I buy limited understanding of anatomy. 

Oh, it’s fucking real. I swear it might be roach. Or Anwar.  But I really want it to be Ian Boyd. 

@Fud can you remember?

Gabe Brooks. I may have slightly embellished my interpretation for comedic effect but it was based on a terribly written point. I mean it was either a terribly written point or he actually believes what I said.

I can't find my actual post but did find this accurate summary:

• Hook 'Em 4