One signal that screams you won’t like this person

Hornbeliever

• 3 months later...
On 8/26/2023 at 11:42 PM, GoPokes83 said:

Understood, but if you’re rolling the dice in a job that’s completely dependent on folk’s generosity then you have to accept that sometimes you’re going to roll snake eyes. Chasing someone that didn’t tip out to the parking lot and demanding to know why isn’t productive. Chalk it up and move on knowing that well over 90% of people are going to pay up.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

This is really starting to piss me off.

I understand that my measurable stats (white, straight, male, late 30's, Iowan, farmer) scream Republican, so I get why people who barely know me (or don't know me at all) assume I'm of that political ilk, but I also get annoyed when liberals do it too.

A lot of people just lack the awareness to realize there are good odds that in almost every social situation there are a mix of political beliefs, and that most people are just so worn out on the subject that they don't want to talk about it any how.

Income tax seasons during an election year are an absolute beat-down.  I don’t want to hear about the world going straight to hell, I just want to figure depreciation on your new vehicle. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/26/2024 at 11:49 AM, Al_4_ISU said:

You poor bastard.  There is nothing worse than wealthy farmers and ranchers who cash massive subsidy checks screaming about taxes and government handouts as they buy $80K 4 door pick ups to keep from paying taxes.

I saw that someone negged you for this. I’ve lost clients simply by stating that farmers and ranchers can get away with murder on their tax returns, and I say that as an active rancher. When I became competent at preparing returns, I was in awe at the methods afforded to us. 

On 9/27/2023 at 8:06 PM, Born to Run said:

I was of this opinion until a young lass I was dating went boot shopping with me and selected a pair of semi square toes that I wore on our next date.

They post date sex confirmed it was the right choice and my feet were more comfortable.

I too was against them until I was persuaded to try a pair that she picked out. 
Mine are still ugly as hell, but they’re the most comfortable pair of boots that I’ve ever owned. 

9 minutes ago, Kennythetiger said:

I saw that someone negged you for this. I’ve lost clients simply by stating that farmers and ranchers can get away with murder on their tax returns, and I say that as an active rancher. When I became competent at preparing returns, I was in awe at the methods afforded to us. 

The lack of self awareness in all of this is what gets me (including on the part of the guy who negged me).

I always joke that the State of Iowa has an ag exemption for murder (I'm sure Kansas is the same).

9 hours ago, Dnaguy said:

If you drive past a stopped school bus while they're picking up kids / letting them off, I know you're not my people.

They should straight up be arrested.  Fuck just giving a citation.

Vegans.

Our new receptionist has dropped vegan into our conversation several times. Usually about trying a new vegan restaurant, or her family’s favorite vegan dish.

Next time she does that, I’m gonna tell her about the new BBQ joint or steakhouse just to see blue she reacts. 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

On 2/27/2024 at 7:41 PM, Dnaguy said:

If you drive past a stopped school bus while they're picking up kids / letting them off, I know you're not my people.

In Austin they send you a $300 ticket in the mail.  It happened to my daughter.  In her defense, it was a four lane divided road with a wide median.  She was in the far right lane and the school bus was three lanes away across the median going the other way.  She never saw it that far away.  It was all on video.  

Red flashing lights with an extended stop sign mean the bus is stopped and students are getting on or off. Drivers approaching the school bus from either direction must stop, even if the road is divided by a turning lane, unless a median or other physical barrier such as a wall or fence, separates the road lanes.

19 hours ago, Superhero said:

Vegans.

Our new receptionist has dropped vegan into our conversation several times. Usually about trying a new vegan restaurant, or her family’s favorite vegan dish.

Next time she does that, I’m gonna tell her about the new BBQ joint or steakhouse just to see blue she reacts. 

El Arroyo marquee from several years ago:

”If a vegan does CrossFit, how do they decide which one to not shut up about?”

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, HouTex said:

In Austin they send you a $300 ticket in the mail.  It happened to my daughter.  In her defense, it was a four lane divided road with a wide median.  She was in the far right lane and the school bus was three lanes away across the median going the other way.  She never saw it that far away.  she doesn't know traffic laws. It was all on video.  

fixy

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

fixy

It wasn’t even at an intersection.  I forget the road in SW Austin but it was not a small two lane road.  I came across the same thing in Houston a month or so ago.  The bus was probably 50 yards or more from my lane.  I was lucky to see it.  I stopped but no one else on my side of the median did.  So a bus stop can be in the middle of a busy street, drop kids off and kids can jay walk across a lane, then a median, then two more lanes—all not at a cross walk/red light?  Whether it’s a legit bus stop or not, it’s extremely dangerous because many drivers just don’t notice something so far away from their own lane.  

Just now, HouTex said:

It wasn’t even at an intersection.  I forget the road in SW Austin but it was not a small two lane road.  I came across the same thing in Houston a month or so ago.  The bus was probably 50 yards or more from my lane.  I was lucky to see it.  I stopped but no one else on my side of the median did.  So a bus stop can be in the middle of a busy street, drop kids off and kids can jay walk across a lane, then a median, then two more lanes—all not at a cross walk/red light?  Whether it’s a legit bus stop or not, it’s extremely dangerous because many drivers just don’t notice something so far away from their own lane.  

just yanking your chain.  I agree its probably not a good idea to have a bus stop on a median divided road.

Just now, High Plains Drifter said:

just yanking your chain.  I agree its probably not a good idea to have a bus stop on a median divided road.

Actually, according to this lawyer. I should have disputed the ticket.  
https://www.maloneyandcampolo.com/school-bus-laws-in-texas/#:~:text=They may not continue to,does not have to stop.

Drivers across a median do not have to stop. 

How were you lucky to see a yellow school bus from 50 yards? That is some kind of distracted driving.

On 2/27/2024 at 11:46 AM, Al_4_ISU said:

The lack of self awareness in all of this is what gets me (including on the part of the guy who negged me).

I always joke that the State of Iowa has an ag exemption for murder (I'm sure Kansas is the same).

Educational purposes. Didn’t the government used to pay farmers to not grow their crops because they weren’t needed

32 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Educational purposes. Didn’t the government used to pay farmers to not grow their crops because they weren’t needed

I'm pretty sure that was a thing around the Great Depression era.

There's also a modern equivalent called CRP where the government pays you to put farmland back into tallgrass prairie.  We have a few hundred acres of it.  It's not them literally paying you not to plant, but that's really what it exists for.  Incentivizing farmers to grow fewer crops.

• Hook 'Em 1

45 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

There's also a modern equivalent called CRP where the government pays you to put farmland back into tallgrass prairie.  We have a few hundred acres of it.  It's not them literally paying you not to plant, but that's really what it exists for.  Incentivizing farmers to grow fewer crops.

CRP is also a  soil conservation effort.  The dirt/ sand still blows, but not like it once did.  Think corners of pivot circles and so-forth.  Native grasses are planted where other crops wouldn't be planted any way.

Tree huggin stuff, ya know?

8 minutes ago, slorch said:

CRP is also a  soil conservation effort.  The dirt/ sand still blows, but not like it once did.  Think corners of pivot circles and so-forth.  Native grasses are planted where other crops wouldn't be planted any way.

Tree huggin stuff, ya know?

In Iowa, you could plant got damn near every acre of the state and produce something, so for the most part around here it is actually taking productive ground out of production.  Granted, we generally put it on land that doesn't produce as well for whatever reason, but there are places were you see 160 acres of prime ground restored to prairie.

I dig it, personally.  Good for pheasant numbers.

Posted (edited)

This is from 2020 USDA form.  I worked in the seed business in high school and college, and a shit ton of folks planted their corners in CRP then.

Benefits The potential benefits of this SAFE Initiative include: • Habitat restoration for grassland wildlife • Removal of less productive cropland acres to reduce losses to low yield (whole fields and field borders/pivot corners) • Erosion and runoff prevention • Water quality and aquifer recharge improvement • Carbon Sequestration

Edited by slorch

14 minutes ago, slorch said:

This is from 2020 USDA form.  I worked in the seed business in high school and college, and a shit ton of folks planted their corners in CRP then.

Benefits The potential benefits of this SAFE Initiative include: • Habitat restoration for grassland wildlife • Removal of less productive cropland acres to reduce losses to low yield (whole fields and field borders/pivot corners) • Erosion and runoff prevention • Water quality and aquifer recharge improvement • Carbon Sequestration

Looks like you were right and I was wrong. 

On 3/2/2024 at 12:58 AM, Superhero said:

Vegans.

I would take it a step further and say that they let you pick the animal you want to eat... "its a new concept, 'pen to table'... they let you pick your protein from living livestock.  they give you the option to pet your dinner before they slaughter it."

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, BonzoMontreaux said:

I would take it a step further and say that they let you pick the animal you want to eat... "its a new concept, 'pen to table'... they let you pick your protein from living livestock.  they give you the option to pet your dinner before they slaughter it."

LOL.  Hell yes.  Veal tastes good.  I ain't pettin no fish though...or chicken.

On 3/2/2024 at 12:58 AM, Superhero said:

Vegans.

I once ate at a vegan Tex-Mex restaurant in order to get laid.  The sex wasn't nearly good enough to make it worth while.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

7 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

11 hours ago, closetohumping said:

In the 1980s in Texas it was called Payment In Kind (PIK). Don’t want to Cloak Room this shit up based on some of the dipshit comments downstream, but there are very legitimate reasons to intentionally not plant certain crops on a certain section….

5 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I once ate at a vegan Tex-Mex restaurant in order to get laid.  The sex wasn't nearly good enough to make it worth while.

I ate a vegetable once, if she enjoyed it, she didn't let on at all.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

20 hours ago, BonzoMontreaux said:

Pretty sure you just described Milliways, first you meet your meat then you get to watch the Universe explode.

On 2/26/2024 at 10:34 AM, Kennythetiger said:

Income tax seasons during an election year are an absolute beat-down.  I don’t want to hear about the world going straight to hell, I just want to figure depreciation on your new vehicle. 

Yep - I had one lady a couple of years that "Biden has blood on his hands" because of the Afghanistan pull out and reminded her that Trump wanted the withdrawal a few months earlier than what actually happened. And, I reminded her it wouldn't have mattered who was president it would not have gone well which is why it took so long. 

On 2/26/2024 at 11:30 AM, Al_4_ISU said:

This is really starting to piss me off.

I understand that my measurable stats (white, straight, male, late 30's, Iowan, farmer) scream Republican, so I get why people who barely know me (or don't know me at all) assume I'm of that political ilk, but I also get annoyed when liberals do it too.

A lot of people just lack the awareness to realize there are good odds that in almost every social situation there are a mix of political beliefs, and that most people are just so worn out on the subject that they don't want to talk about it any how.

I feel your pain being a 50 something white dude who owns a construction company, drives a truck, dips some Skoal, and enjoys hunting and fishing. I had to stop wearing red of any kind.

Also, despite the above demographic, I am labeled as that "commie hippy liberal from Austin who went to that commie hippy school" when I go fishing with my Houston buddies.

I always tell them, "yeah that bastion of free thinking that is the Red McCombs College of Business".

Also a CPA, so I also get the tax side of things as well.

Ah Ziggy, will you ever win?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1