Week 1 2023 - Rice @ Texas

Wulaw Horn

3 hours ago, Deej said:

Talk all the shit you want about the Rice cheerleaders. In a few years, when only the top 4% get into UT, that's what ours will look like. 

just had a look at '23 pom, a few decent pickups, the returning crew is holding steady

scared to go look at cheer which has been in freefall for years

• Hook 'Em 1

54 minutes ago, williemackgarza said:

Need ewers to flash early. Get an easy 300+ yd and 4 TD with no picks.

I'm not sure he'll have enough playing time to get 300+, since I'd prefer that Sark start pulling starters in the third quarter if we're comfortably in control.  I'd be happy with 200 or so, with a solid performance from the running game.  But maybe Sark will let Ewers go bombs away in the first half.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Wife's a Rice grad, so have some sympathies for their plight.  It's always a little testy at our house when Texas/Rice is on.  That said, we were at the 1994 game in the rain at Rice Stadium, and Shea Morenz couldn't complete a pass, so she has some eternal scoreboard.

• Haha 2

If Ewers throws for 300+ against Rice, then it's going to be a rough year. Unless he does it in under 15 passes, that is. This game shouldn't be a sling it all over the field game. This needs to be a physical, pound them into submission on both lines, smooth, steady, beat down. Let the second and third stringers get their feet wet, get out of this healthy, and gear up for Bama. 

• Hook 'Em 4

1 minute ago, Red Five said:

Mitch, this is just bizarre. 

The point I'm trying to make (poorly, obviously), is that if beating Rice requires Ewers chucking it enough to where he's getting over 300 yards, then there is probably something wrong with our running game or defense, or we had multiple special teams fuckups, and he's going to still be on the field deep into the second half. Unless he's getting chunk yardage off of bombs and/or short throws that get broken for long gains, he shouldn't have an opportunity to run up his stats that much.

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, CycleTex87 said:

Wife's a Rice grad, so have some sympathies for their plight.  It's always a little testy at our house when Texas/Rice is on.  That said, we were at the 1994 game in the rain at Rice Stadium, and Shea Morenz couldn't complete a pass, so she has some eternal scoreboard.

Rice always plays us tough.  Fred Akers said that, I think?

3 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

The point I'm trying to make (poorly, obviously), is that if beating Rice requires Ewers chucking it enough to where he's getting over 300 yards, then there is probably something wrong with our running game or defense, or we had multiple special teams fuckups, and he's going to still be on the field deep into the second half. Unless he's getting chunk yardage off of bombs and/or short throws that get broken for long gains, he shouldn't have an opportunity to run up his stats that much.

Yes, God forbid Sark lets Ewers get some confidence going into the biggest away game of his young career.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

When he hits 300, do you think people will be angrily filing out of the stadium, clearly seeing a 7-5 season on the horizon?

(just giving you shit, I know what you're saying) 

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, FloridaHorn said:

Ewers throws for 350 and 3 td's.....We're screwed, we never should have had to throw it this much.

Ewers throws for 190 and 1 td.....We're screwed, Ewers sucks and Sark has lost his touch with playcalling.

This.  Only acceptable stat line for surly is 11 for 12, 253 yards, 3 td.   3 catches by Worthy, 2 by Mitchell, 2 for Neyor, 2 for Whittington , 2 for Sanders.  Only incompletion was on a check-down to Brooks where he was clearly interfered with but no flag thrown.  Of course zero pics.  

Any other result and we are doomed.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, FloridaHorn said:

Ewers throws for 350 and 3 td's.....We're screwed, we never should have had to throw it this much.

Ewers throws for 190 and 1 td.....We're screwed, Ewers sucks and Sark has lost his touch with playcalling.

Thank you for finally understanding the zeitgeist of this board.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, MIkeHoncho said:

This.  Only acceptable stat line for surly is 11 for 12, 253 yards, 3 td.   3 catches by Worthy, 2 by Mitchell, 2 for Neyor, 2 for Whittington , 2 for Sanders.  Only incompletion was on a check-down to Brooks where he was clearly interfered with but no flag thrown.  Of course zero pics.  

Any other result and we are doomed.  

When 'I only bang 10's' becomes a stat line.

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, FloridaHorn said:

6th Street and Satya…

685C739C-879A-491D-A1D9-3727CFF979E2.thumb.jpeg.c1afd16d3bc5e01e3999ab728d9b5367.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

17 hours ago, Smax said:

230 kick off.... wonder how many heat related incidents will happen in the stands. Ya I know debbie downer but seriously who the hell does this time schedule and why do they hate us

I think the Big XII and Fox did this on purpose.  It's their way of starting their season long fuck you to us off with a bang.  I can't remember the last time Texas started the season off with a day game.  It's insane.

Edited by kevwun

1 minute ago, kevwun said:

I think the Big XII and Fox did this on purpose.  It's their way of starting their season long fuck you to us off with a bang.  I can't remember the last time Texas started the season off with a day game.  It's insane.

2021. Louisiana game started at 3:30 or some shit.

2011 was worse. Triple digits and the whole state was on fire 

The drought was worse in 2011 no question.

We’ll have to see where 2023 falls in terms of heat. We have another month-plus of summer. It’s certainly been competitive in terms of breaking daily and streak records. 2022 was actually a higher statewide average temp than 2011 from May-July, but fell off that track in August.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, CycleTex87 said:

That's not how scoreboard works.

6 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

The drought was worse in 2011 no question.

We’ll have to see where 2023 falls in terms of heat. We have another month-plus of summer. It’s certainly been competitive in terms of breaking daily and streak records. 2022 was actually a higher statewide average temp than 2011 from May-July, but fell off that track in August.

The bolded part I'll argue, at least here. We only had to water our lawn(2.55 acres) once in 2011 due to regular rainfall. This year we haven't had a significant rain since early/mid May and our yard is burnt to a crisp. Granted, we did not water this year due to finances but have never needed to in the past because of sufficient rainfall. There are dead trees and mature shrubs everywhere in our area.

• Hook 'Em 1

I don't think that applies to the rest of the state.  It's not as dry this year because we had rain the spring.  2011 was a much longer drought for the state as whole.  It's hotter this year and I think that's killing trees and plants. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, CycleTex87 said:

too soon

Edited by TexasGolf

• immamac changed the title to Week 1 2023 - Rice @ Texas
  • immamac locked this topic