2023 Texas @ Alabama - 6pm on ESPN

Pancho

Milroe's picks were bad... like he just flat didn't see a guy. But I thought Bama did a disservice by not giving him 6-8 designed runs. Dude can move. And when you have to account for that more, it opens up the passing game. 

This. Didn’t seem like any designed running plays for him, and dude can MOVE. Gotta use what your players have.

Kitan Crawford played a bunch last night. I didn't have that on my bingo card. I don't think Taaffe played at all.

It feels good to win going away in what is by far the toughest game on our schedule. Our next toughest opponent dicked around with SMU. I'm sure we'll drop one but the rest of our schedule is pretty cake. 

8 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

When I saw that last night I thought, "this one is going to take its rightful place in the pantheon of Bama fan frustration gifs". It's not quite "Wow" Girl quality but it's close.

I need to redo it to get the window/blinds reflection off the screen.  xD

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Kitan Crawford played a bunch last night. I didn't have that on my bingo card. I don't think Taaffe played at all.

It feels good to win going away in what is by far the toughest game on our schedule. Our next toughest opponent dicked around with SMU. I'm sure we'll drop one but the rest of our schedule is pretty cake. 

rated r shut up GIF

we could have did without this comment 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Someone else mentioned it in a different thread but it's a great thing to point out about how this team is different. Every player that had a mental lapse, made up for it later in the game. Burke whiffed on a tackle, makes a shoestring sack later. Worthy drops a sure fire TD,  catches a bomb for a TD later. Thompson gives up the deep ball for a TD, makes a pick later. The mistakes didn't put them mentally in a hole. That says something for how this team might be on cusp of greatness. 

This was my favorite part of the game last night.  In years past I feel like this team lets mistakes get in their heads.  Everyone shook it off and made a big play to make up for it.

• Hook 'Em 3

Reading the last few pages about Milroe:

Yeah, he threw two horrible balls, and those = 10 points.  

But the pressure he was getting RIGHT UP THE MIDDLE was crazy....  Broughton, Murphy, Sorrell, Sweat... If Bama yanked Milroe for someone else, they may have thrown one less pick, but they'd probably also have given up 8 or 9 sacks.  

I would also point out in Milroe's defense:  If you watch his sacks, there's just nowhere for him to go with the ball.  

Think "Colt McCoy v Nebraska in CCG."  Same thing.  Changing QB wasn't going to fix our offensive problems in that game, and it wasn't going to fix Bama's last night.

I do agree that their offense isn't optimized for Milroe's skill set.  He would be a nightmare to defend if their base running play was to read the backside DE (a la 2005 Texas).  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

1 hour ago, Rimbo said:

39 minutes ago, Goodman said:

On both of Mitchell's TDs, look at his step to freeze the DBs. Neither of those DBs had a fucking chance. With Worthy and now Mitchell, Sark is going to stress the fuck out of DCs and their DBs. Sark will have 1v1 on deep balls whenever he wants it. If Mitchell keeps making DBs look foolish, this O will only be stopped if Ewers has a bad game.

From the WashPost article.

“In the end,” Sarkisian said, “as the game wore on, you could kind of feel some of the coverage going to Xavier, and that kind of created some plays” for other guys. Worthy did not mind. "He was recognizing the double-coverage,” Sarkisian said, “and he said, ‘That’s a good thing.’”

Yep, we go as far as Quinn will take us.

Edited by crash_davis
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I am curious about RB. It looks to me like Brooks is our best guy, and should be getting ~75% of the carries. I wonder if they have durability questions with him, and/or want him fresh in fourth quarters. 

Brooks can't catch so well....that's a problem for him when it comes to the demands of this offense. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 2

6 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I am curious about RB. It looks to me like Brooks is our best guy, and should be getting ~75% of the carries. I wonder if they have durability questions with him, and/or want him fresh in fourth quarters. 

Baxter is already at least Brooks's equal as a runner. Love Brooks's hustle and effort, his catching not so much. 

But now Baxter may be out a bit. If he's gimpy there's no reason to play him against Wyoming. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

Brooks can't catch so well....that's a problem for him when it comes to the demands of this offense. 

He dropped a TD pass against Rice and maybe one against Bama. He made up for it later with some great running between the tackles but he needs to quit hurting the team on pass plays.

• Hook 'Em 1

Why didn’t sanders keep running to the right on the long catch? He cut back and it looked like he could have scored. We seem to always end up at the 5/6/7 and struggle to get it in. Scares the hell out of me during the game when we just don’t get the last few yards like the pick last night and the sanders play. 

20 minutes ago, Skipper said:

This was my favorite part of the game last night.  In years past I feel like this team lets mistakes get in their heads.  Everyone shook it off and made a big play to make up for it.

The whole team supports itself. My favorite example is when, after 3 quarters of basically stellar defensive play, Bama took the lead, only for the offense to finally ignite and light up Bama. Felt like the offense had the defense's back and vice versa. The pressure wasn't on any single unit or person. Everybody shined.

• Hook 'Em 4

Reflecting back on what I watched last night, it strikes me that for the first time in seemingly forever, Texas, as a team, is tough - both mentally and physically.  I was getting some 2005 vibes from this team in that late 3rd through 4th quarter.  If the team doesn't lose the mental game or suffer key injuries, I'm not sure anyone is going to beat them on the field.

• Hook 'Em 5

14 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Currently, yes but I think Baxter will end up being the better back in short order. Hell of a problem to have though. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Saint Tacky said:

SIAP. Any speculation on the polls this week? I expect to -- at the very least -- jump Tennessee and move up 2 spots. Does Alabama drop to 11?

A bunch of AP rags have put out their polls aready. Texas is between 3-5 in nearly all out so far with a few even having Texas as high as 2, and alabama has been 11 in all I've seen. I'd expect Bama at 11 and Texas at 4 once the actual ap rankings drop.

Edited by WelfareBuysMyWeed
  • Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Paul Wesley said:

Me too. 

He isn't going to have a lot of games where there's 800 pounds of War Daddies running right at him from the instant he takes the snap.

I actually felt like Milroe was the only bright spot on offense for Bama. They basically did not have a functional offense, Texas completely shut them down and they couldn't do anything. Whatever offense they managed came almost exclusively from Milroe making chicken salad. As a pure gamer scrambling QB, he's actually pretty good.

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, WelfareBuysMyWeed said:

I actually felt like Milroe was the only bright spot on offense for Bama. They basically did not have a functional offense, Texas completely shut them down and they couldn't do anything. Whatever offense they managed came almost exclusively from Milroe making chicken salad. As a pure gamer scrambling QB, he's actually pretty good.

In hindsigh, Milroe is getting the blame for the lost but the whole O gets the blame. Some of it is on him, but we shut down their run and were getting pressure and sacks rushing only 4 and sometimes 3. No QB is going to have a great night with the D knowing you are going to have to throw, getting pressure without blitzing and dropping 7-8 into coverage.

Edited by crash_davis

• immamac changed the title to 2023 Texas @ Alabama - 6pm on ESPN