Week 4, 2023: Texas @ Baylor

Wulaw Horn

7 minutes ago, Skipper said:

He's got a first round grade now even with concerns regarding his hands.  His speed is just another level 

I don't remember if there were any issues with Desean Jackson's hands in college, but I see Worthy as comparable in terms of speed and size.  Jackson was drafted in the late second round and overall had a pretty successful NFL career.

5 minutes ago, South Austin said:

I don't remember if there were any issues with Desean Jackson's hands in college, but I see Worthy as comparable in terms of speed and size.  Jackson was drafted in the late second round and overall had a pretty successful NFL career.

I bet Desean would have been closer to the first these days. Just looked at that ‘08 draft and the first round had zero WRs and five RBs. Wild how much things have changed in 15 years.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

Yes. We are a top 5 Texas team. Beating us would be one the greatest wins in most of these schools history. They will do whatever they can to win.

We have to be ready for a war week in and week out no matter how shitty the opponent might otherwise be.

Fuck Baylor.  They can want to win all day, doesn’t mean they will.

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, JBJ said:

Waddle was 6th overall not too long ago.  WR size matters less now than in Desean's day.  Lots of slight-build WRs on NFL rosters.

This stuff goes back and forth. They don't let the DBs hold receivers much at all and they allow pick plays. If DBs were allowed to be more aggressive against WRs, it would take bigger receivers to get off the line and bigger receivers to take big hits from safeties. The NFL likes scoring though and likes high profile QBs so I'm not sure things will ever change back to big WRs. Plus most games are played in enclosed stadiums where speed can be utilized better.

Edited by Bevo

1 hour ago, South Austin said:

I don’t know that Worthy is as fast as Desean (basically no one is), but he’s probably a better route runner. 

2 hours ago, South Austin said:

He did this in high school, college and the pros.

IMG_4961.gif

IMG_4962.gif

Edited by Daichee Bell
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

4 hours ago, Bevo said:

This stuff goes back and forth. They don't let the DBs hold receivers much at all and they allow pick plays. If DBs were allowed to be more aggressive against WRs, it would take bigger receivers to get off the line and bigger receivers to take big hits from safeties. The NFL likes scoring though and likes high profile QBs so I'm not sure things will ever change back to big WRs. Plus most games are played in enclosed stadiums where speed can be utilized better.

The increase of spread formations and zone coverages as well.  But all those things are related.

One thing I want to nitpick because it's a common misconception is that bigger WRs are better against press.  It's the opposite - getting off the line is about quickness and size is usually an impediment to that.  A big receiver against press is like a power forward at the top of the key defended by a point guard.  He's not going to drive the lane. 

Conversely, no one guards Russell Westbrook tight without help and no one presses Marquis Goodwin or Tyreek Hill without help.

Edited by JBJ
  • Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, JBJ said:

The increase of spread formations and zone coverages as well.  But all those things are related.

One thing I want to nitpick because it's a common misconception is that bigger WRs are better against press.  It's the opposite - getting off the line is about quickness and size is usually an impediment to that.  A big receiver against press is like a power forward at the top of the key defended by a point guard.  He's not going to drive the lane. 

Conversely, no one guards Russell Westbrook tight without help and no one presses Marquis Goodwin or Tyreek Hill without help.

Depends on the corner. If you are trying to press a 170 pound corner on a 210 pound receiver then you are going to have problems. The receiver can just run through that guy. That is why we never used Deshaun Jamieson in press. 

Edited by Vertigo

6 hours ago, TexArcher said:

Dave, I can't tell you how many times anybody said anything to me about Baylor this offseason, because there weren't any, because you're just Baylor.

7848B71B-5BC2-441C-9DEC-4642CFE9F690.gif.6776abb3610b0e362c6427587b7b5950.gif

4 hours ago, Horn Dogg said:

Fuck Baylor.  They can want to win all day, doesn’t mean they will.

People in hell want ice water too. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, ztejas said:

We'll see how Worthy grades out. I don't think it's impossible he returns. 

Heard a draft commentator saying guys like Worthy and Ewers have enough highlights on tape to get drafted high even if they aren’t consistent. NFL coaches will see the ceiling and bet on themselves to coach the consistency in

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, Doc Daneeka said:

Yeah, I really think Manning wouldn’t transfer if he’s a redshirt freshman backup, but I’ve been wrong before. 

It's the minority opinion but agreed. He's in no rush. Have fun. Get laid. Learn a thing or two. Money is there. NFL will be there. 

• Hook 'Em 1

asked a friend whose family has season tix for BU to share a few tips if people are going to the game:

• They said to park downtown (free) and ride the (free) bus to the game.
  • No booze sold in the stadium
  • In stadium, there are Rudys that are permanent and a bunch of mobile food carts - Chic Fil A and a new Lemonade one that's good
  • Whole visitor side of the stadium is in the sun at 6p kickoff, she said she thinks all of the Home side will be in the shade at that point
  • There are good spots to stand on the 2nd level when you come up the main stairwell, will be in the shade and get some breeze if there is any. Directly behind the end zone
  • You can't sit in the berm behind the other end zone, no connection to the stadium and has it's own ticket + concession + entrance/exit
  • If you have kids there is a mother/baby room behind Section 114
  • Don't forget your clear bag if you are bringing stuff in, they are militant about it and will make you go back to your car or throw it away
  • Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, UncleSonny said:

I don’t know that Worthy is as fast as Desean (basically no one is), but he’s probably a better route runner. 

I don't think he was the fastest guy in his draft class lol. Chris Johnson was in that draft and ran like a 4.2 while also having elite quickness. Worthy is fast as fuck and has elite quickness, it's a good comparison in my opinion. 

17 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

I don't think he was the fastest guy in his draft class lol. Chris Johnson was in that draft and ran like a 4.2 while also having elite quickness. Worthy is fast as fuck and has elite quickness, it's a good comparison in my opinion. 

he ran a 4.35 at the combine, Chris Johnson ran a 4.24 at the same combine. but guessing that when he ran it it was !top 5 all time? looking at the current top 10, it's Chris Johnson, some dude name Rondel Melendez from 99, Jerome Mathis in 05, Stanford Routt in 05 and then Jackson somewhere in the 5-10 range

1 hour ago, Hook1997 said:

Their QB Robertson who’s starting has a 45% completion percentage, 1 TD and 3 Int’s..   Really need to smoke them and cover with ease and get Manning some game reps.  

Bobby/ Gerry pointed out that despite the shitty completion percentage he is still averaging nearly 8 yards per attempt - Baylor takes a shit-ton of deep shots. Our Safeties need to be ready because Baylor is going to test them deep. 

1 minute ago, NoName said:

he ran a 4.35 at the combine, Chris Johnson ran a 4.24 at the same combine. but guessing that when he ran it it was !top 5 all time? looking at the current top 10, it's Chris Johnson, some dude name Rondel Melendez from 99, Jerome Mathis in 05, Stanford Routt in 05 and then Jackson somewhere in the 5-10 range

A 4.35 40 was the 8th best in 2008, there are at least 60 people since 2008 who ran faster than a 4.35. Including a whole bunch of 4.2's haha 

13 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Bobby/ Gerry pointed out that despite the shitty completion percentage he is still averaging nearly 8 yards per attempt - Baylor takes a shit-ton of deep shots. Our Safeties need to be ready because Baylor is going to test them deep. 

I'm not super concerned about this guy. 

Screenshot_20230919_155021_Chrome.thumb.jpg.8f243c13c5e2484a9ce5418580487606.jpg

• Haha 1