Week 6, 2023: Red River shootout.

Wulaw Horn

19 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

OU's secondary seems to be a major problem.

From what I've seen the last 2 weekends against Cincy and Iowa State, they're gonna have to protect their secondary against our WRs and TEs if they want a shot in this one. 

I think they are going to bring max pressure often. It shouldn’t worry us, but who the fuck knows. QE has shown nervous feet before. If our run game is on and our short passes are on then they are fucking toast.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Doc Daneeka said:

Agreed. I don’t think it’s a foregone conclusion that the offense is more productive without them even if they, themselves, don’t always succeed. The effect they have on defensive calls and plays may show up in bigger plays elsewhere. 

I think we have enough film out there to keep defensive players honest without running these low % plays, especially in a big game like this Saturday.

• Hook 'Em 1

Sark is going to have this game schemed up like he did Bama and Quinn really seems to rise to the occasion in big games. I think we are going to be able to move up and down the field on them pretty regularly. I just hope it doesn't turn into a shootout. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, troph said:

I think they are going to bring max pressure often. It shouldn’t worry us, but who the fuck knows. QE has shown nervous feet before. If our run game is on and our short passes are on then they are fucking toast.

Maybe they just trot out the TCU defense from last year...that worked pretty well.

3 minutes ago, troph said:

I am sure somewhere here has it, but Quinn has been very good vs the blitz. This is going to be like Bama. Venables is a good defensive mind and he is going to have some crazy pressure packages for Texas. That wont matter if Texas can win 1st down ad avoid obvious passing situations. ISU was running all over OU last week. If their defense did not get them in a hole, they might have run for 300.. 

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

I didn't say I was optimistic.  I said I was going.  I said what my record is.  But know that for almost all of those games, I didn't like our chances, but went anyway.

By all means, you need to go!  😉

• Hook 'Em 1

Okay, so I have a ticket, and I'm going this year (reminder: I am undefeated at Texas OU games I have attended).  I'll be doing the "get up early and leave around 5:00 a.m. from Austin, enjoy the game, hang at the fair for an hour or so after, then drive back to Austin" routine.  Right now, I'm solo.  Road trips are always more fun with company (plus, I know I'll be tired on the way back, so having someone riding along to help me stay awake is helpful).
Anyone looking to head up and back on Saturday?  Either I have seats and can drive, or if you're driving and don't mind a passenger, I'll chip in on gas and your first sausage, kraut and cheese klobasnek is on me.....lemme know.
5am? Good luck with that. I live in FW and I'm backing out of the driveway no later than 7am.
  • Hook 'Em 1

5am? Good luck with that. I live in FW and I'm backing out of the driveway no later than 7am.

I’ve done it before. No traffic, and I haul ass (1 stop in West to piss, get a cup of coffee and a klobasnek), and am parking outside the fair by 8:00. Gives me plenty of time for a corn dog and wax cup beer second breakfast. I’m not an amateur here, man.
  • Hook 'Em 4

3 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I’ve done it before. No traffic, and I haul ass (1 stop in West to piss, get a cup of coffee and a klobasnek), and am parking outside the fair by 8:00. Gives me plenty of time for a corn dog and wax cup beer second breakfast. I’m not an amateur here, man.

I did it with my kids last year, up and back. 5am to 10pm or so. it's not that hard.

20 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Sark is going to have this game schemed up like he did Bama and Quinn really seems to rise to the occasion in big games. I think we are going to be able to move up and down the field on them pretty regularly. I just hope it doesn't turn into a shootout. 

I think so too. I think our D will hold up well, though I think OU will likely get 2-3 big plays that will result in 14-17 points.  So our D does have to withstand that and not also give any long methodical drives.

19 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

I am sure somewhere here has it, but Quinn has been very good vs the blitz. This is going to be like Bama. Venables is a good defensive mind and he is going to have some crazy pressure packages for Texas. That wont matter if Texas can win 1st down ad avoid obvious passing situations. ISU was running all over OU last week. If their defense did not get them in a hole, they might have run for 300.. 

This year he has been good under pressure. I think we run all over OU this year, and if that happens, the game is already over. There is a path for OU and it's somehow Texas steps on its dick in the running game (especially early), QE is off early and OU gets momentum. The Sark and QE press and it doesn't come together. Overthrows the long ball, just doesn't get in a rhythm and Texas scores 14-17 total and see above re Texas D.

I've already stated my position though, Texas D lives in the OU backfield, OU gets a couple of big plays to hang close for a while but Texas wins going away 31-20 after a 21-17 lead at the end of the third quarter.

34 minutes ago, Josef Pwag said:

I think we have enough film out there to keep defensive players honest without running these low % plays, especially in a big game like this Saturday.

While I’m sure your resume is impressive, the objective is still to make the defense defend all the green. Sarkisian seems to be pretty good at it. 

35 minutes ago, troph said:

I think so too. I think our D will hold up well, though I think OU will likely get 2-3 big plays that will result in 14-17 points.  So our D does have to withstand that and not also give any long methodical drives.

This year he has been good under pressure. I think we run all over OU this year, and if that happens, the game is already over. There is a path for OU and it's somehow Texas steps on its dick in the running game (especially early), QE is off early and OU gets momentum. The Sark and QE press and it doesn't come together. Overthrows the long ball, just doesn't get in a rhythm and Texas scores 14-17 total and see above re Texas D.

I've already stated my position though, Texas D lives in the OU backfield, OU gets a couple of big plays to hang close for a while but Texas wins going away 31-20 after a 21-17 lead at the end of the third quarter.

OU's path to winning is needing to be at least +2 in turnovers.  And for Quinn to be off.

• Hook 'Em 1

Going to my first game in Dallas this weekend. For those that have been, what are some must do's while I am there? 
I am assuming it will be better to Uber rather than fight the crowd and trying to park, but was curious about that as well? 

Take DART.
  • Hook 'Em 1