Seven Win Steve Rides Again!

closetojumping

45 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

I went and looked at Texas record in the swc while Oklahoma was there, I don’t think it ever happened haha. In 1920 Oklahoma left for the big 6 or big 8. They only spent 5 years in the SWC. 

while Texas OU was a non-conf game.

28 minutes ago, Monahorns said:

Not in the Big 12.  That was when the teams were in different conferences.

point is Texas OU in Dallas has always been important but it's meaning has evolved over 4 different conference iterations since 1995 - non-conference, south division champ, conference champ, could still lead to a rematch in a round robin championship game format.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

You guys man-

Surly- Sark is stupid for not wanting to run his QB.

Quinn injures shoulder running

Surly-

Confused-Jaguars-Fan.gif?ssl=1

My favorite are the ones who wanted to see Malik so bad they couldn’t stand it, only to find out he’s been injured this whole time and now that their wish came true…we are turbo fucked. I mean like 6-6 fucked. No Quinn, 60% Malik, center is banged up, DB’s are banged up. If sark gets us to 8 wins maybe it’ll shut all these bastards up…nah what am I saying. That won’t ever happen. 

53 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

My favorite are the ones who wanted to see Malik so bad they couldn’t stand it, only to find out he’s been injured this whole time and now that their wish came true…we are turbo fucked. I mean like 6-6 fucked. No Quinn, 60% Malik, center is banged up, DB’s are banged up. If sark gets us to 8 wins maybe it’ll shut all these bastards up…nah what am I saying. That won’t ever happen. 

I was desperate to see him

get chance to throw the ball in the 4th in our standard offense up 35. Alas, we haven’t had those sort of leads early enough in most games.

Edited by lilMAC25

59 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

8 wins?  In this conference?  Keep dreaming 

• Haha 2

It’s that simple. Look at bama they are getting better each game and bama is not that good but their coach is great.

I don’t necessarily agree with that with regard to Bama. I think getting better over the course of the season is generally overblown and a borderline myth unless you’re relying heavily on very young/new guys at several key positions.

But you do see teams regress - or at least fail to adapt over the course of the year as tendencies and weaknesses become more apparent and opponents dial in to countering/exploiting them. That’s coaching for sure.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, WinningIsHard said:

Hi Mrs. Sark. Hoping for 8 wins?

pathetic GIF

Edited by Wilcox Cummingtonite
  • Hook 'Em 2

Bama hasn't really improved since we played them. Both Arkansas and aggy are below average, and they played them tight. They are a very average team by Bama standards, and would lose to any Bama team of the last 15 years. 

Edited by z009

1 hour ago, longhornmatt said:

The 4th and 2 wheel route was something.  He’s done that before, too.

He has this weird Mackovic like thing going on - not personality wise, since people like him while Mackovic causes actual mutinies - but in terms of generally seeming like a gifted play caller and offensive coordinator who nonetheless scores way fewer actual points than you would expect.  

His highest scoring offense at Texas continues to be the first year when he had Casey Thompson at QB and no WRs or OL.  We’ve scored 40 points only once this season.  Games have been close into the 2nd half (sometimes deep into the 2nd half) against Rice, Wyoming, Kansas and Houston.  His highest ranked offense at Texas (again the first year) ranked 18th in points per game.  The only Texas team that mongoloid Greg Davis coordinated which didn’t rank higher than 18th in points per game was the 2010 team that got him fired. 

There is something weird about his offenses not clicking on all cylinders for whatever reason.  At Bama they were great, but he had two 1st round QBs, four 1st round WRs and another 2nd round WR, 1st round RB, and an NFL OL.  There was no such thing as a bad call with that talent.  It wasn’t quite as idiot proof as the 2005 team here when GD’s bad calls were actually his best because they led to VY scrambling, but it was about as close as you can get.  

Other than the stacked Bama teams, this seems to be a consistent thing with Sark.  He was the OC at USC in the John David Booty and Mark Sanchez years, not the Leinart/Bush years before that when they were setting records.  He was the OC for the Falcons when their offense fell off right after they had been elite the prior year with Shanahan.  His Washington teams got Jake Locker drafted in the first round, which is a pretty impressive feat in terms of bamboozling the NFL, but they didn’t actually score that much.  

Hopefully it starts to click more here.  There is talent now, so the offense really needs to take the next step if we’re going to get the program back where we want it to be.  That was supposed to be the upside to hiring Sark, but if you look at the stats, the upward trajectory the last three years has been from the defense. 

As I highlighted on here somewhere before, Sark's offense scored higher than the previous year at every stop he had except in the pros and here, and subsequently fell off after he left. There is nothing special about his offense as far as design goes. It's a pro-style offense. You could score alot more if you spread it out and chucked it all over the lot. I mean, we are trotting out a lot of heavy personnel packages which don't condone itself to putting up a lot of points. I think the reason why the powers that be got Sark here is because his style of offense attracts quarterbacks who have pro trajectories, which is exactly what we were missing for the last decade plus.

What I get frustrated about with Sark's offense is the lack of easy throws. Every throw requires a lot of timing. There aren't really a lot of scenarios where receivers sit down against zone, run curls, or even simple out routes. I am interested to see how he will adjust for Murphy to get him going. A lot of people here discount Ewers' touch, and how he feathers throws over the top of defenders. You zip those in there like Murph does and those are picks. The good thing is he modified his offense for Jake Locker. So there is hope.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

15 hours ago, WinningIsHard said:

What’s wild is he admitted to being on these boards bitchin about Greg Davis. That was our second best period as a program, we won 10-11 games at will and scored 50 points a game constantly hahahahaha. He found ways to bitch then. 

Arrested Development No GIF

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

His highest scoring offense at Texas continues to be the first year when he had Casey Thompson at QB and no WRs or OL.  We’ve scored 40 points only once this season.  Games have been close into the 2nd half (sometimes deep into the 2nd half) against Rice, Wyoming, Kansas and Houston.  His highest ranked offense at Texas (again the first year) ranked 18th in points per game.  The only Texas team that mongoloid Greg Davis coordinated which didn’t rank higher than 18th in points per game was the 2010 team that got him fired.

I don’t get this point. Isn’t this year’s offense top 15 in points per game?

The 2021 offense had extremes on both sides and you never knew what you were getting. 58 points against Rice and 70 against Tech, but also 6 games where they scored under 30, including 5 of the 9 games in conference play. We have not had one game under 30 yet this year. And this is with the new clock rules.

Also, we led Rice 30-3 halfway through the 3rd quarter. Calling that a close second half game is generous.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, B00M said:

Arrested Development No GIF

1998-2010 we scored 50 or more 41 times in 166 games. We scored 60 points 12 times and even scored 70 once haha. If you say 40 or more then we did it 71 times. We won 10 or more games 10 times in his 13 seasons. I would take that run on an endless loop over and over again for eternity with Greg Davis as OC. It's easy to bitch about something while you're playing great but looking back we should have been more appreciative of that entire time period from 98 to 2010. It was magical compared to this horse shit. 

22 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

1998-2010 we scored 50 or more 41 times in 166 games. We scored 60 points 12 times and even scored 70 once haha. If you say 40 or more then we did it 71 times. We won 10 or more games 10 times in his 13 seasons. I would take that run on an endless loop over and over again for eternity with Greg Davis as OC. It's easy to bitch about something while you're playing great but looking back we should have been more appreciative of that entire time period from 98 to 2010. It was magical compared to this horse shit. 

This

1 hour ago, WinningIsHard said:

This argument is not worth rehashing. 

Stop It Michael Jordan GIF

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Ok, then let’s adjust all of our stats since 1998 for that and redo the comparison.  All the prior teams would rank higher, too, since we almost never play non-FBS teams.    

Hd Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

While you’re at it, use @Huckleberry’s adjusted stats (if they still exist) to adjust for strength of schedule. 

On 10/21/2023 at 11:52 PM, ztejas said:

OU has proved to us twice during this current CFP format that the Dallas result can be overcame. A lot of you are letting your emotions get in the way of the bigger picture.

Sark didn't fail the go beat Bama's ass in Tuscaloosa test. He hasn't failed the win all of the other games on the schedule test yet. 

I mean God damn some of y'all get super fucking hot about a tight win against a bad team. Shit happens. I'll fucking bitch alongside the rest of you if we come out and do this same shit against BYU next week. But I don't think we're going to. I think BYU is going to get fucked up. 

I don't think anyone is saying Texas CAN'T win out and win the Big 12 this year.  The issue is looking for reasons why that WILL happen.  The Alabama game is a clue that this team has the potential.  It seems like a long time ago though.  After the sluggish games against Wyoming and Kansas, then the loss to OU.  Houston was an opportunity to show they figured some things out and were ready to make a push for the Big 12 championship.  Well... they won so the opportunity is still there mathematically.  But it should be clear the leading indicators aren't looking so great.  If nothing else the team has become snake bit with injuries.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I'm just happy to be putting guys in the NFL again and i'll be fine with 9 or 10 wins. The people that think we should roll out of bed every week and win big are idiots. We have not earned those expectations. How about let's put a couple of strong winning seasons together first.

I think we’re going to end up in a weird grey area for the year at like 9-3, No CCG appearance, loss to OU, but being able to point to extended starting QB absence and the win over Alabama, who at this point is looking like a 10+ win team and favorite to play for the SEC title out of the West.

Is that a success? I don’t even know.
  • Rage+1 1

2 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

I think we’re going to end up in a weird grey area for the year at like 9-3, No CCG appearance, loss to OU, but being able to point to extended starting QB absence and the win over Alabama, who at this point is looking like a 10+ win team and favorite to play for the SEC title out of the West.

At this point, I unfortunately like my picks in the original post for the best bets of an upset. KSU with the freshman QB looks like a different team. They're really small defensively and they're not very fast on either side of the ball. It's in Austin, so nothing is a sure thing, but I'd rather be facing Will Howard.

Iowa State is a mediocre club in a mediocre conference. Campbell, for as much as we make fun of him, is still a good coach. Mid-November on the road in Iowa seems like exactly the kind of circumstances that can make Seven Win Steve rear his ugly, thousand-yard-staring head.

• Like 2
  • Rage+1 3

8 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

At this point, I unfortunately like my picks in the original post for the best bets of an upset. KSU with the freshman QB looks like a different team. They're really small defensively and they're not very fast on either side of the ball. It's in Austin, so nothing is a sure thing, but I'd rather be facing Will Howard.

Iowa State is a mediocre club in a mediocre conference. Campbell, for as much as we make fun of him, is still a good coach. Mid-November on the road in Iowa seems like exactly the kind of circumstances that can make Seven Win Steve rear his ugly, thousand-yard-staring head.

I would have preferred to have one of KState or TCU behind us already. KState, Iowa State, and TCU with a busted up team and a backup QB who launches scud missiles does not give me the warm fuzzies. 

It is a success in. But, you can also have some disappointment in how the whole season played out. The Houston game is the perfect example.

1 minute ago, Vertigo said:

I would have preferred to have one of KState or TCU behind us already. KState, Iowa State, and TCU with a busted up team and a backup QB who launches scud missiles does not give me the warm fuzzies. 

TCU is hot garbage. I don't give a shit if that game is on the road. If Texas loses that one on the way out the door, I will vomit into a fedex box and send it to Steve Sarklosian's desk in Bellmont accompanied with a strongly worded letter threatening more of the same on a weekly basis until he does us all a favor and quits. 

• Haha 6

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

TCU is hot garbage. I don't give a shit if that game is on the road. If Texas loses that one on the way out the door, I will vomit into a fedex box and send it to Steve Sarklosian's desk in Bellmont accompanied with a strongly worded letter threatening more of the same on a weekly basis until he does us all a favor and quits. 

Be sure and stay hydrated and get plenty of electrolytes when you do. Your health is important.

• Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Plus, I will be there. What seemed a sure thing a month ago looks much more iffy. SMH

10 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Does Tech get their QB back by the end of the year when we play them?  The current 3rd string guy is complete shit and makes them terrible.  But they’re not really that bad with the starter.  

Kansas State is clearly the toughest test.  I don’t love the way a mobile QB offense that is committed to option matches up against our defense, either.  We feast on slow pro style QBs and teams dumb enough to just run inside at our DTs.  That’s not Kansas State.

Morton was a gametime decision on Saturday with an undisclosed injury as far as I can tell. Seems like he'll be back. That considered, the Tech OL and playcalling are going to lead to injured QBs for them all season. They're just bad. 

7 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

Plus, I will be there. What seemed a sure thing a month ago looks much more iffy. SMH

Look, it isn't like KSU is actually a good team. They're not. They're playing in a shitty league and they're one of the taller midgets, but that's about it. If Sarkisian can actually call a decent game against them, Texas simply overwhelms that defense. The more tape that comes out on the freshman will lead to better approaches to playing the guy. Still, I have no faith in Texas' defense at this point. It's just completely disappointing, so I expect a shootout and won't be surprised to be completely disappointed. 

Sark needs to hire a playcaller. He's not as good as it as he thinks he is, and there is not enough time in the day to effectively be the HC of a modern major college football program and handle offensive playcalling. The last National Championship team that had the HC calling offensive plays was 2013 FSU.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

I mean... our front seven/run defense is fine. Great, even.

Our free safety is very smart but slow and can be beaten, and the middle of the field is just... there.

We've been doing great at getting pressure with three or four rushers to make up for these deficiencies... up until last weekend. I don't know if UH's OL is suddenly better than all the others we've faced or what, or maybe we were just so afraid of the guy running that we insisted on containment at the expense of getting pressure.

I’m definitely penciling in a loss to KSU. I don’t think they get through the November road games without a L either and I think 0-2 is more likely than 2-0. TCU and ISU both present obvious ability to exploit Texas (TCU through the air against a bad secondary, ISU by frustrating the Texas backup or injured QB-led Texas offense) and one of them is probably a L at this juncture.

So Texas outperforms the 7-win Steve baseline this year primarily due to weak schedule, but really doesn’t achieve much of significance, and then settles back in at 7-5 next year replacing a QB and entire receiving/TE corps in the SEC.

4 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Morton was a gametime decision on Saturday with an undisclosed injury as far as I can tell. Seems like he'll be back. That considered, the Tech OL and playcalling are going to lead to injured QBs for them all season. They're just bad. 

Look, it isn't like KSU is actually a good team. They're not. They're playing in a shitty league and they're one of the taller midgets, but that's about it. If Sarkisian can actually call a decent game against them, Texas simply overwhelms that defense. The more tape that comes out on the freshman will lead to better approaches to playing the guy. Still, I have no faith in Texas' defense at this point. It's just completely disappointing, so I expect a shootout and won't be surprised to be completely disappointed. 

Sorry. I will be at Iowa State. Last time I went, we absolutely shit the bed. Of course that was with a different coach lost in his own head...

• Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, elguapo said:

Sark needs to hire a playcaller. He's not as good as it as he thinks he is, and there is not enough time in the day to effectively be the HC of a modern major college football program and handle offensive playcalling. The last National Championship team that had the HC calling offensive plays was 2013 FSU.

No, he IS as good at it as he thinks he is.

But as a head coach, you can't have your attention divided between the different responsibilities an OC and head coach have. They're both full-time jobs.

• Like 1

It is a success in. But, you can also have some disappointment in how the whole season played out. The Houston game is the perfect example.

I feel like it’s an incomplete. My bar for the year was 9-3, beat OU, make CCG. That’s 1/3. Meh.

The 1-2 punch of losing to OU and not even qualifying for a Big 12 CCG with this team, given the state of the conference this year, is big yikes. But you have to account for the QB injury. Those bars kind of go out the window with your backup playing down the stretch. And then the Bama win is hanging out there. It’s not a real achievement in the sense that it ultimately means little without following it up with hardware but at the same time a signature win is a box that hadn’t been checked.

2 minutes ago, elguapo said:

It’s becoming my mantra and I hate harping on this point but it’s the truth. Eventually we will get to a point where most every UT fan will be on the same page on this. If most HCs could also be heavily involved in play calling and as an OC the list would be long and “distinguished” of those HCs that have won conference championships and also MNC or CFPs. The list is very short and Sark isn’t elite enough to do that. Even if later on Arch runs his offense to perfection something will always get missed and fear we will always be dropping 2-3 WTF games a season. Of course now with QE possibly out for a month or maybe more there is a built in excuse. We simply aren’t as good as I wanted to believe we are. I guess. Fuck it. I hope we run the table. But honestly our chances of getting  an OU rematch…not great. But I hope we do and curb stomp them. 

giphy.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

This how I feel about Tech. I don’t care what is or isn’t on the table for the post season at that point or who’s playing QB for either team. If they can’t get up for that game at home and make Tech regret making the trip then idk what I’m doing following this program.

And that guy just gave in to hiring an OC after years of denial. IOW, it's going to be a long time.
  • Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

If they can’t get up for that game at home and make Tech regret making the trip then idk what I’m doing following this program.

Amen to that, sister. I think we beat TCU and Tech, and we lose to KSU and Iowa State. BYU is the great unknown. We need to win this weekend to finish the regular season with 9 wins and pray for a bowl victory to get us to 10 wins. 

We are Texas we need someone who can recruit, handle press conferences, and keep the big cigars egos placated.  I think Sark can do those things at least it seems like he has proven he can.

He needs to have the best coordinators money can buy and just let them run the football side of the house entirely.  Go full blown Bobby Bowden and you will become a god here.  It really is that simple we will see if he can figure it out in time.

19 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

It’s becoming my mantra and I hate harping on this point but it’s the truth. Eventually we will get to a point where most every UT fan will be on the same page on this. If most HCs could also be heavily involved in play calling and as an OC the list would be long and “distinguished” of those HCs that have won conference championships and also MNC or CFPs. The list is very short and Sark isn’t elite enough to do that. Even if later on Arch runs his offense to perfection something will always get missed and fear we will always be dropping 2-3 WTF games a season. Of course now with QE possibly out for a month or maybe more there is a built in excuse. We simply aren’t as good as I wanted to believe we are. I guess. Fuck it. I hope we run the table. But honestly our chances of getting  an OU rematch…not great. But I hope we do and curb stomp them. 

giphy.gif

You can wish for it to happen but it won't.  The decision makers who hired Sark got everything that comes along with that, and you don't bring Sark without bringing him as OC.  He sees it as his biggest strength and he's not wrong, even if it does create other weaknesses.  And no OC of note is going to come work under Sark anyway knowing that he'd be the de-facto OC anyway.  So we'd get a junior OC who is basically a meat shield for Sark to sacrifice if something goes sideways, kinda like Jimbo is doing.

A better approach is to Sark to hire someone like an ex-HC who he trusts to be in his headset during the game on the "other stuff."  But he isn't giving up OC duties.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 1

6 minutes ago, Horn of Gabriel said:

You can wish for it to happen but it won't.  The decision makers who hired Sark got everything that comes along with that, and you don't bring Sark without bringing him as OC.  He sees it as his biggest strength and he's not wrong, even if it does create other weaknesses.  And no OC of note is going to come work under Sark anyway knowing that he'd be the de-facto OC anyway.  So we'd get a junior OC who is basically a meat shield for Sark to sacrifice if something goes sideways, kinda like Jimbo is doing.

A better approach is to Sark to hire someone like an ex-HC who he trusts to be in his headset during the game on the "other stuff."  But he isn't giving up OC duties.

I understand that. He was interviewed when he was HC of Washington and said he was hired for his play calling and didn’t want to sound arrogant about it but it’s his strength and he’s not giving it up. I understand that. I’m saying that his defenders will every single year be saying next year will be the year when we drop 2-3 WTF losses. I’m not saying fire him. It’s just unfortunate he cannot understand (nor his supporters) that he cannot do both things. It would be fucking fantastic if he could. I’d be ecstatic. 

Edited by Nicole44

KSU and ISU are really the only two games that worry me. KSU is the better team of the two, but we seem to have something on them in the series lately and the game is at home. Plus they don’t run the kind of passing offense that can exploit our injured/deficient secondary and mediocre pass rush. 

ISU is the one that worries me. They are starting to sling it around and we’ll be on the road in the cold. 

• Hook 'Em 2