Mary Lou Retton not doing well

GoPokes83

22 minutes ago, GoPokes83 said:

How TF does Mary Lou Retton not have insurance?

When she was going to UT, they probably didn't have a class about "managing your financial affairs after the Olympics".  Pretty sure they still don't have that class.

Also, divorce, kids, and her major money making days were 20+ years ago.

I've heard that there's a big effort from a lot of Longhorns to get her help, and I know her fundraiser thing did well.

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

I've heard that there's a big effort from a lot of Longhorns to get her help, and I know her fundraiser thing did well.

Her crowdfund is up to $300K

https://www.spotfund.com/story/a2e0582c-e62f-4e5b-a586-18349014f761?source=c&share_location=s&SFID=s6z51cs&referral_id=45b800a8-5f58-4eeb-b032-ea579f7eaab7

• Hook 'Em 4

9 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

Not surprising, I saw a link on a Houston Memorial website as well. She lives or used to live off of Piney Point.

15 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

When she was going to UT, they probably didn't have a class about "managing your financial affairs after the Olympics".  Pretty sure they still don't have that class.

Also, divorce, kids, and her major money making days were 20+ years ago.

Retton has also aligned herself with one political party and she was in USA Gymnastics leadership when they were going through their scandals. At that point she made comments that some interpreted of supporting the organization more than the gymnasts. It’s her right to say or believe what she wants but taking a stand can impact endorsements. 

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

21 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Retton has also aligned herself with one political party and she was apart of USA Gymnastics leadership when they were going through their scandals. At that point she made comments that some interpreted of supporting the organization more than the gymnasts. It’s her right to say or believe what she wants but taking a stand can impact endorsements. 

*a part

• Hook 'Em 2

15 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

@Brisketexan was it you that had a story about a drunk Mary Lou threatening to whip somebody's ass at a UT game?

Yep, back when we played UH at Roberston Stadium, the bleachergate game.  She sat right in front of us.  Her crew was pounding beers as well as we were.  And when some cougar fans mouthed off to her, she gave as good as she got.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Nicole44 said:

Hope she can recover. As a girl, watching her vault was spectacular. Was a big fan. Realized quickly gymnastics was not going to be in my future. Seems like her life the past couple of years hasn’t gone in the best direction. Hoping for the best. Very sad to hear. And Mattress Mack is the real deal. Dude doesn’t just talk…walks the walk. Not interested in her politics or opinions or all of that. Just a reminder of how fragile life truly is. I’ve attended three funerals of family members since March 2022. One last weekend. It’s just a reminder that tomorrow is not promised to any of us. Life is precious and all that…so don’t put off shit that you’ve been wanting to do if you’re able. 

she was just so much fun to watch. No one will ever be as good as Biles but I’d argue Mary Lou’s greatness kinda turned up US Women’s gymnastics up a notch. 

I remember it being a big deal when she was on the Wheaties box. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Nicole44 said:

Hope she can recover. As a girl, watching her vault was spectacular. Was a big fan. Realized quickly gymnastics was not going to be in my future. Seems like her life the past couple of years hasn’t gone in the best direction. Hoping for the best. Very sad to hear. And Mattress Mack is the real deal. Dude doesn’t just talk…walks the walk. Not interested in her politics or opinions or all of that. Just a reminder of how fragile life truly is. I’ve attended three funerals of family members since March 2022. One last weekend. It’s just a reminder that tomorrow is not promised to any of us. Life is precious and all that…so don’t put off shit that you’ve been wanting to do if you’re able. 

she was just so much fun to watch. No one will ever be as good as Biles but I’d argue Mary Lou’s greatness kinda turned up US Women’s gymnastics up a notch. 

we need to start a site fund to get pics of Nicole in a gymnastics uni 😍😍😍

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Ted Lange said:

Between her and Carl Lewis, our family probably got 30+ free Mcdonald's meals back in 1984.   Get well Soon Mary Lou!

I was telling my kids about that the other day. Oh we just won a silver in women's judo 125 pound class?  Very disappointing, but I'll take my fries.

I remember seeing that red Corvette with vanity plates parked all around campus.  She did not keep a low profile.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Yep, back when we played UH at Roberston Stadium, the bleachergate game.  She sat right in front of us.  Her crew was pounding beers as well as we were.  And when some cougar fans mouthed off to her, she gave as good as she got.

From the look of recent pics, I don’t think she’s gone a day since then without pounding beers like a champion.

2 hours ago, CycleTex87 said:

For some reason I remember white instead of red. 

Definitely could be, but in my old severely alcohol damaged brain I see red with MRY LOU plates parked right in front of Moore  Hill and jester.  But that was a looong time ago and I was (am?) a bit of a dumbass 

5 hours ago, Not a cat said:

Definitely could be, but in my old severely alcohol damaged brain I see red with MRY LOU plates parked right in front of Moore  Hill and jester.  But that was a looong time ago and I was (am?) a bit of a dumbass 

Yes, it was white. I witnessed it getting towed one morning with her out there vehemently protesting. It was right outside of my dorm window in Moore Hill.

• Hook 'Em 1

21 hours ago, mininghorn88 said:

Yes, it was white. I witnessed it getting towed one morning with her out there vehemently protesting. It was right outside of my dorm window in Moore Hill.

She must have had two, then, because I saw her driving the red 'vette many times.  Also, from a McDonald's commercial:

image.png.ca14824ee2e76f5eff08ed894b8c41c2.png

1 hour ago, Gatorubet said:

Or maybe she could sell her home and some of her stuff and not take donations from people who didn’t have millions of dollars shoved at them in their youth?

I have no gripes about MRY LOU herself, but soliciting donations from others would be a last resort for me. This is assuming she has assets she can liquidate or use as collateral for a loan. 

On 10/12/2023 at 2:31 PM, Nicole44 said:

I can remember where I was when this happened.  Our posse' was at a friend's haus having a small Olympic fiesta.  The roof lifted when she stuck the landing.

• Hook 'Em 1

Weird story that doesn’t fully add up.

i suppose a hospital could kick out (transfer to a county hospital) a patient who has demonstrated no ability to pay but no hospital is going to kick out Mary Lou Retton. And if they threatened it to the family, a simple call to a reporter would end that threat.

There also isn’t a rush to beg for money other than wanting to maximize the donations by asking while mom is in the hospital.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

3 hours ago, Bevo&Pevo said:

I can remember where I was when this happened.  Our posse' was at a friend's haus having a small Olympic fiesta.  The roof lifted when she stuck the landing.

Most of the clips just show her vault but she also had an incredible amount of power in her tumbling passes on floor. The height she’d get on the tumbling passes was awesome. Compared to what US women’s gymnastics had been prior to that. 

On 10/14/2023 at 12:33 PM, jimmyjazz said:

She must have had two, then, because I saw her driving the red 'vette many times.  Also, from a McDonald's commercial:

image.png.ca14824ee2e76f5eff08ed894b8c41c2.png

Perhaps my mind melded this commercial and the car I saw in front of Moore-Hill.  Memory is weird. Like the the time Earl Campbell gave Mackovic a concussion by running into him out of bounds.

• Haha 1

About six weeks before the Olympics, Mary Lou Retton had knee trouble, and it turned out to be torn cartilage. She decided to have surgery and accelerate the usual 3-month rehabilitation, recovering enough to compete within three weeks.

23 hours ago, MrBig said:

Can anyone find the clip of her at the Oscars in The Naked Gun 3? I’m pretty sure she was one of the candidates who won instead of the bomb in the envelope exploding.

Gotchu, fam.

3:42 and 5:50.

Also the very start of this one:

But both are worth watching in their entirety, imo. Lotta dead people, unfortunately.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 10/15/2023 at 8:09 AM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Weird story that doesn’t fully add up.

i suppose a hospital could kick out (transfer to a county hospital) a patient who has demonstrated no ability to pay but no hospital is going to kick out Mary Lou Retton. And if they threatened it to the family, a simple call to a reporter would end that threat.

There also isn’t a rush to beg for money other than wanting to maximize the donations by asking while mom is in the hospital.

Donation grift is being run by one of her kids, right?  Said kid would rather fleece the public to protect the inheritance rather than pay the bills.

• Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Donation grift is being run by one of her kids, right?  Said kid would rather fleece the public to protect the inheritance rather than pay the bills.

I always like to read into what is not being said/written. Retton's daughter posted that her mother didn't have health insurance along with a Go Fund Me (or whatever) link. She never said that her mother didn't have the financial ability to cover the bills. And while perhaps that last bit could be assumed, it doesn't mean we know the actual situation.

• Rage+1 1

4 hours ago, Deej said:

82z5vf.jpg

That's the problem I have. For you or me the no name nobody it wouldn't work. I appreciate Mattress Mack and others stepping up to help a special American Athlete. But, 1. there are I'm sure millions who have worked their ass off their whole life and have always struggled to pay bills and still can't afford health insurance and end up in a medical crisis. No one is going to step up for them and if they even tried a gofundme. If they're poor, most everyone they know is too. What's Mattress Mack doing for all of them?? 

2. Why does MLR have no insurance? She must have made some bad decisions. If she lives in Piney Point, which is what I read, she's living in a house worth at least $3mil, if not $10mil or more. Sell your house, move to Katy and live in a $500k house and have health insurance. She also has to take some responsibility for the situation she's in. And that applies to Shannon Kelley too, certainly when it comes to taking care of the kids.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2