THE College Football Playoff Rankings Thread [MICH,WASH,TEX,ALA]

texifornia

When I go back through my thoughts and predictions, I had this scenario almost right with one major exception.

I predicted undefeated FSU could potentially be out, but with a low probability. That’s because I kept thinking the committee would have Bama passing Texas because of SEC bias, even though it didn’t make sense.

I felt Texas vs FSU for the last spot would be iffy. I figured they would struggle to put Texas in over FSU.  But once I realized that Texas looked so dominant against OSU that they would easily stay ahead of Bama, it was obvious that Bama would win out over FSU after how bad FSU looked last night.

In other words, that terrific performance yesterday by Texas might have been what cemented Texas into the 3rd spot and thus the playoff, keeping committee bias from screwing Texas over. Cheers Sark. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

21 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Eh, it was possible that FSU'S backups come in and the offense still looks competent by the end. That obviously didn't happen. But the real reason is that Alabama won and they couldn't find a way to get the SEC in without Texas also being in. 

Looked liked a playoff worthy defense imo. Can't just disregard that side of the ball.

That's your problem. It has nothing to do with math. If Oregon had won a close game, most people would be talking about how both teams deserve to be in just like what will happen if Bama wins a close one. You are hanging your hat on the "math" that Texas should be in but the committee wants nothing to do with math. These two conferences are guaranteed at least one spot each. There wouldn't have been any internal discussion to leave one out. That's in your head, not a reality to bank on. Best to yield these two spots (not more) and hope for upsets in the other two.
Just a reminder this dumb MFer wanted Georgia to win so there wouldn't be a discussion about Georgia and Alabama both getting in. We're in BECAUSE Alabama won and we didn't have to depend on the committee to make a choice between us and FSU. We wouldn't have had the SEC bias factor in that discussion and very well could have been left out in favor of FSU. Never concede a spot that gives you a chance no matter how small. Math.

A good reminder to not argue with idoits.

Thanks to @Huckleberry @jimmyjazz @Red Five @Dahobbs and others for specially calling out the stupid posters on this site.
  • Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, slorch said:

So who gets the 4th spot in your scenario? ( healthy FSU)

Since head-to-head is part of the guidelines, it would have to be Texas. There would have to be extraordinary evidence that Bama had improved enough and Texas hadn't since that game, but there isn't. Beating Georgia could just tell us more about Georgia than we were able to ascertain from their schedule.

3 minutes ago, HoustonHorn said:

Just a reminder this dumb MFer wanted Georgia to win so there wouldn't be a discussion about Georgia and Alabama both getting in. We're in BECAUSE Alabama won and we didn't have to depend on the committee to make a choice between us and FSU. We wouldn't have had the SEC bias factor in that discussion and very well could have been left out in favor of FSU. Never concede a spot that gives you a chance no matter how small. Math.

A good reminder to not argue with idoits.

Thanks to @Huckleberry @jimmyjazz @Red Five @Dahobbs and others for specially calling out the stupid posters on this site.

I was the flag bearer of bitching people out. lol

• Hook 'Em 2

You can only beat who you play. FSU had LSU, Florida, and Clemson on their regular season schedule. Any other year, that's a big schedule.
Alabama scheduled one good OoC game and lost. The entire SEC's biggest OoC win was against [checks notes] Louisville.
What else was FSU supposed to do here?

Win impressively. Don’t skate by a mediocre Clemson because their walk-in kicker misses a 30 yarder (outgained by 100). Never ever schedule North Alabama. Don’t get outgained by 100 yards against BC. Get Southern Miss off the schedule.

Start there.

They got lucky too. Duke QB injured. UF QB out. Miami playing so well they benched their QB.

All that before Travis got injured (except the UF game).

They’re unlucky in that most years they are in.
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

You can only beat who you play. FSU had LSU, Florida, and Clemson on their regular season schedule. Any other year, that's a big schedule.

Alabama scheduled one good OoC game and lost. The entire SEC's biggest OoC win was against [checks notes] Louisville.

What else was FSU supposed to do here?

Play a shit ton more impressive in their games.

The thing that people always miss, is you have to watch every player on every play, how they execute. That is the only way to grade this sport were everyone plays such disparate and disconnected games and opponents. Is that what the committee does? No. But it's what it actually takes. It would be overstating it to say record doesn't matter, but it definitely doesn't matter as the arbiter, it's merely a data point.

If FSU won 66 to nil every game, they would be in. That's what they could have done.

• Hook 'Em 1

50 minutes ago, EuroHorn said:

On that warchant YouTube channel they are saying fsu needs to leave the acc and join the big 10 or sec.  Even though they admit that fsu would have been in with the 12 team playoffs starting next year.  I get that they are upset but they need to step off the ledge 

Imagine this board if we'd been left out

• Haha 1

Just now, po elvis said:

Since head-to-head is part of the guidelines, it would have to be Texas. There would have to be extraordinary evidence that Bama had improved enough and Texas hadn't since that game, but there isn't. Beating Georgia could just tell us more about Georgia than we were able to ascertain from their schedule.

I agree with this’ however the screaming elephant shit in the room is no SEC team in that Top 4.  There was zero chance that was happening.  I said yesterday with family when Bama won, that the FSU didn’t mean shit.  It should be Mich, Wash, Tex, & Bama.  Those are the 4 ‘eye test’ teams.

I despise the beauty pageant/ cheerleader tryout bullshit, but the 4 correct teams made it.  If Georgia had won, I feel like Texas would have( incorrectly) been left out. 

23 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

The ACC has been weak for years. Lots of poor QB play too. Top to bottom it’s a poor conference.

All the teams in are from major conferences. It’s sorta bad luck on FSUs part. The selling point isn’t even that we’re better. It’s we won against our crappy schedule. Never mind Georgia you got Bama; we got Louisville.

FSU wants out of that conference. Now they have ammunition to question it’s viability as a power 5 conference.

• Hook 'Em 3

FSU beat the teams on their schedule, that were scheduled 5-10 years ago. Like LSU, Clemson, & Florida, 3 BCS/CFP National Champions. Not their fault they all sucked.
Compare this to Georgia canceling playing OU. FSU played more BCS/CFP SEC National Champions than Georgia did. 
It was a hard choice. You can't penalize a team for scheduling hard games, that is what makes college football. 

I honestly don’t care about the schedule as much as I care about a heisman candidate got injured and the shit they replaced them with. If these last 2 weeks were the first 2 weeks of the season, would Florida state drop in the rankings? I would they they would.

Just now, slorch said:

I agree with this’ however the screaming elephant shit in the room is no SEC team in that Top 4.  There was zero chance that was happening.  I said yesterday with family when Bama won, that the FSU didn’t mean shit.  It should be Mich, Wash, Tex, & Bama.  Those are the 4 ‘eye test’ teams.

I despise the beauty pageant/ cheerleader tryout bullshit, but the 4 correct teams made it.  If Georgia had won, I feel like Texas would have( incorrectly) been left out. 

If FSU had looked halfway decent yesterday they wouldve been in. 

• Like 1

Committee would never leave out an SEC team. Been in it all ten years. 

Heartbreaking for FSU. The statement from Travis man…perfectly written. Just so poignant. Glad we did our part yesterday and crushed Okie Lite and are on an upward trajectory. We made history! Jumping from 7 to 3 and clinched our final Big 12 trophy. Hook’em! I’d have picked FSU to advance, whether it was an inevitable beatdown for them or not. ESPN owns SEC rights now and there has always been an SEC bias. I like to think of us as being in the SEC but on our own island.

And no, I will NOT be chanting SEC ever. We are in their conference and I will root as @BevoAbyss posted for Texas only. 

Edited by Nicole44
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Shaggy3.0 said:

more from my old pics

67401_10100358655228920_7909501_65474092_3907665_n (1).jpg

67589_10100358651561270_7909501_65474074_6991134_n.jpg

73218_10100358651201990_7909501_65474068_6938001_n (1).jpg

This is old news but what made those extra awful was that it took profits charged on textbooks to buy ‘em that would otherwise have been resulted in cheaper textbooks or more money going into the Co-op scholarship fund.  

Just now, Nicole44 said:

Committee would never leave out an SEC team. Been in it all ten years. 

Heartbreaking for FSU. The statement from Jarvis…man…perfectly written. Just so poignant. Glad we did our part yesterday and crushed Okie Lite and are on an upward trajectory. We made history! Jumping from 8 to 3 and clinched our final Big 12 trophy. Hook’em! I’d have picked FSU to advance, whether it was an inevitable beatdown for them or not. ESPN owns SEC rights now and there has always been an SEC bias. I like to think of us as being in the SEC but on our own island.

And no, I will NOT be chanting SEC ever. We are in their conference and I will root as @BevoAbyss posted for Texas only. 

Travis

We jumped from 7 to 3

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

I was the flag bearer of bitching people out. lol

As if being a pretentious, smell-your-own-farts, know-it-all douchebag isn't enough, now you're making sure you're not deprived of internet message board recognition for it?  

My god, man.  The real world probably eats you alive.

3 minutes ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

Bama was not in over Texas. You can’t just ignore an actual h2h result…in Tuscaloosa,no less.

If Bama was in, so was Texas.

Edited by slorch

4 minutes ago, G650 said:

Play a shit ton more impressive in their games.

The thing that people always miss, is you have to watch every player on every play, how they execute. That is the only way to grade this sport were everyone plays such disparate and disconnected games and opponents. Is that what the committee does? No. But it's what it actually takes. It would be overstating it to say record doesn't matter, but it definitely doesn't matter as the arbiter, it's merely a data point.

If FSU won 66 to nil every game, they would be in. That's what they could have done.

2 minutes ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

If Georgia has won yesterday FSU would have been in.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Hondo said:

As if being a pretentious, smell-your-own-farts, know-it-all douchebag isn't enough, now you're making sure you're not deprived of internet message board recognition for it?  

My god, man.  The real world probably eats you alive.

It's probably harder out there for idiots who are confidently wrong about obvious stuff.

• Haha 3

43 minutes ago, SarkAfterDark said:

If the committee was going to go this route with FSU they should have excluded them from the top 4 the moment Travis got hurt. But to have them remain undefeated and win their conference and then decide to drop them out the top 4 makes no sense. Sets a terrible precedent IMO. What if Milroe, Penix, Ewers got hurt in practice leading up to the playoffs. Do either of those teams no longer belong? 

Gave them a shot to demonstrate competency with a backup QB. They did not

• Hook 'Em 3