THE College Football Playoff Rankings Thread [MICH,WASH,TEX,ALA]

texifornia

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

The selection committee was in a no-win situation.  Too many deserving teams.  They knew they’d be criticized regardless of who they put in.

If they were looking to avoid criticism, "We put in the 3 undefeated P5 conference champs and then the 1-loss P5 conference champ that beat the other 1-loss P5 conference champ by multiple scores, on the road, by running the ball for 7:00 straight and ending the game in victory formation on their opponent's field" would have done the trick.

Alabama/SEC would have whined because "We're the SEC and we're Alabama", but nobody else would have batted an eye.  Except ESPN...which is why they fucked FSU.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Hondo said:

If they were looking to avoid criticism, "We put in the 3 undefeated P5 conference champs and then the 1-loss P5 conference champ that beat the other 1-loss P5 conference champ by multiple scores, on the road, by running the ball for 7:00 straight and ending the game in victory formation on their opponent's field" would have done the trick.

Alabama/SEC would have whined because "We're the SEC and we're Alabama", but nobody else would have batted an eye.  Except ESPN...which is why they fucked FSU.

To be fair, having no SEC teams in would have been a month long controversy/talking head show gold mine, only to reignite when Michigan or Washington beat FSU handily. A lot of pissed off people with a lot of money.

Leaving them out, people will feel bad for FSU for week, move on, then Georgia will beat them by 20, and everyone will shrug and say, "Guess they got it right."

Still fucked up and the wrong decision IMO, but probably the safer of the two from the committee's perspective.

To be fair, having no SEC teams in would have been a month long controversy/talking head show gold mine, only to reignite when Michigan or Washington beat FSU handily. A lot of pissed off people with a lot of money.
Leaving them out, people will feel bad for FSU for week, move on, then Georgia will beat them by 20, and everyone will shrug and say, "Guess they got it right."
Still fucked up and the wrong decision IMO, but probably the safer of the two from the committee's perspective.

Whatever happens in UGA/FSU…one side who thinks fsu got screwed will say SEE 13-0 DESERVED TO BE IN.. or the other side who thinks the committee got it right will be telling those we dodged a bullet.
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:
6 minutes ago, ImissWallyPryor said:
Why were we the visiting team at the B12 CCG, with the old North/South divisions no longer dictating that?
Not that I mind the icy whites. 

Has been reported numerous times, but we were the home team & elected to wear icy whites.

I’d love love love that

15 minutes ago, Hondo said:

You do that and you punish Alabama for scheduling and losing a tough OOC. If that happens every major program in the nation should immediately cancel any quality OOC game because you’re basically saying you no credit for them.

Putting Texas and Alabama avoids that scenario, and only opens them to the new world order that SEC/B1G teams will get in over ACC/B12 teams with a better record, and that they will take major injuries into account when seeding the playoffs going forward.

It’s harsh, and unprecedented, but overall it’s the best path forward.

If we had a 12 team playoff this year, would FSU even be in the top 6? I think they’d be behind UGA and tOSU at a minimum.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Fondren & Main said:

Or, hear me out, FSU beats Georgia with their 2nd team QB because Georgia just didn’t want to be there.  🥲

Only happens if the seminole tries to spear the bulldog when the dog is brought around to meet the seminole before the game.

• Haha 1

Would have rather seen FSU instead of Bama because, well, fuck Bama.  But I understand the reasoning for making Bama the #4 team.  
I will root for Michigan to beat Bama.  And then Texas to mudhole Michigan in the NCG.

Fuck Michigan. Hope Saban rawdogs fuckibg Harbaugh and sends his sorry ass home. Texas Bama rematch will be epic.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Texzilla58 said:

Fuck Michigan. Hope Saban rawdogs fuckibg Harbaugh and sends his sorry ass home. Texas Bama rematch will be epic.

Oh, trust me, I had to think long and hard about whether I really want to root for cheating Meatchicken and that sack of shit Harbaugh.  And a Texas-Bama rematch *would* be epic. 

But I just can't bring myself to root for Alabama under the circumstances -- they're so fucking lucky to be in.  First, Auburn's d-coordinator completely loses his mind on 4th and 31, and then the Committee decides to screw over FSU rather than risk the wrath of the SecSecSec.

Maybe I'll just root for a meteor instead . . .   

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Planet Houston said:

Maybe they were just catching their breaths after being terrified of Texas pulling the 4 seed and getting the good news just before. 

Maybe, but any team in their right mind would rather play the FSU team from the past 2 weeks over either Texas or Alabama

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I was joking. Sorta. Of course they wanted FSU, who wouldn’t? 

They got turbo fucked, I’d be most pissed if I was on that defense. Who’s to say they couldn’t shut down Michigan’s offense, give their offense some short fields and win a game 16-13? I think it was a terribad decision. Especially with the escape job Bama had against Auburn, you can’t say they are some juggernaut team right now. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

Who the fuck is going to attend the fiesta bowl? Oregon fans aren’t gonna travel to watch them play liberty and I assume liberty doesn’t have a ton of wealthy alumni traveling to Glendale. 

Welcome to round 1 of the expanded playoffs.

Oh, trust me, I had to think long and hard about whether I really want to root for cheating Meatchicken and that sack of shit Harbaugh.  And a Texas-Bama rematch *would* be epic. 
But I just can't bring myself to root for Alabama under the circumstances -- they're so fucking lucky to be in.  First, Auburn's d-coordinator completely loses his mind on 4th and 31, and then the Committee decides to screw over FSU rather than risk the wrath of the SecSecSec.
Maybe I'll just root for a meteor instead . . .   
ESPN absolutely wants Texas vs Bama. The ratings for that would be amazing.

Washington vs Michigan would be terrible ratings
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, TKthunder2 said:

You do that and you punish Alabama for scheduling and losing a tough OOC. If that happens every major program in the nation should immediately cancel any quality OOC game because you’re basically saying you no credit for them.

Putting Texas and Alabama avoids that scenario, and only opens them to the new world order that SEC/B1G teams will get in over ACC/B12 teams with a better record, and that they will take major injuries into account when seeding the playoffs going forward.

It’s harsh, and unprecedented, but overall it’s the best path forward.

If we had a 12 team playoff this year, would FSU even be in the top 6? I think they’d be behind UGA and tOSU at a minimum.

How does that not also apply to FSU? They scheduled two tough OOC opponents. Instead of punishing Bama for getting their asses kicked at home, they punished FSU for winning their OOC games. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 3

Michigan and Texas would have insane ratings as well. 

Texas/Bama matchup may mean a lot of Big 10 country tunes out.

Texas/Michigan attracts everyone. Both Big 10 fans that want to beat the "south" and Big 10 haters/rivals that want to see Mich fail.

Same story the other way. We would get a lot of casual support and casual haters tuning in to see us as well.

I think all four teams are pretty close and expect good games regardless of matchup combinations 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2