Game Week 10: Texas at TCU

Wulaw Horn

1 hour ago, Longhornlove said:

Just read a mock draft having him go #2 overall to Denver. Posted 6 hours ago.....Who the fuck knows. I LOL at it but whatever.

I would say 1st round for sure even if he doesn't play another snap. I don't think he'll go 2nd overall unless he comes back and dominates, but it's likelier than dropping to the 2nd round.

Just now, Bevo14 said:

I would say 1st round for sure even if he doesn't play another snap. I don't think he'll go 2nd overall unless he comes back and dominates, but it's likelier than dropping to the 2nd round.

He's not a first round lock at this point

Joseph is the passing game coordinator, so just moving Gideon probably doesn't get the job done. 

I have a hard time seeing Joseph get removed during this offseason. It makes no sense to recruit press/bump and run corners and play them off.

Brooks literally made his name dominating Evan Stewart in some 1v1 reps at a camp while playing press. Now we have him playing in space against lesser athletes, make it make sense.

4 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Its the situational awareness of the secondary play that get me. You want to play at 5 and bail out with a 20 pt lead on 1st 10, I can deal with that. It just kills me when its 3rd and 4 and they play 5 yards off (usually on the field side, Watts rarely plays off) and bail. That may go to Sark's comments "DB play the technique based on coverage called". I hope that is not the case. 

They're susceptible to coverage busts. They also tend to cover grass instead of bodies at times. Sometimes they read and break on routes, but to often they don't

I will say that it doesn't help that the pass rush isn't getting home (because everyone is getting clotheslined or piggy backed); if this defense got its proper amount of holding calls, this would be a top three ish defense instead of a top six ish defense 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

8 minutes ago, Yesh said:

I applauded the coaching continuity Sark has had so far, but if you were looking at it from a cutting the bottom 10% of performers each year, Joseph/Gideon would be the candidates.  Even just asking "is this position group championship level" would still point to the DBs as the biggest liability.

Gideon and Sark are boys. And Muschamp endorsed Gideon to Sark after he spent several years with him as a GA at Florida/Auburn after his playing days.

Joseph has historically job hopped about every 2-3 years if you look at his history. LSU may be going through a defensive staff shuffle this offseason and Kelly already tried to lure him away when putting together his initial staff.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Atticus said:

Joseph is the passing game coordinator, so just moving Gideon probably doesn't get the job done. 

I have a hard time seeing Joseph get removed during this offseason. It makes no sense to recruit press/bump and run corners and play them off.

Brooks literally made his name dominating Evan Stewart in some 1v1 reps at a camp while playing press. Now we have him playing in space against lesser athletes, make it make sense.

Ideally you have corners who are good at both so you can mix coverages at a high level 

2 minutes ago, Fud said:

They're susceptible to coverage busts. They also tend to cover grass instead of bodies at times. Sometimes they read and break on routes, but to often they don't

I will say that it doesn't help that the pass rush isn't getting home (because everyone is getting clotheslined or piggy backed); if this defense got its proper amount of holding calls, this would be a top three ish defense instead of a top six ish defense 

Grass coverage and lack of pattern matching is an issue. The 3-5 coverage bust a game is the biggest issue. Those are generally free yards

Ewers is NFL bound, Murphy is transferring or riding the pine next year...To quote Gerry Hamilton, "They aren't selling MM Jerseys, they are selling QE and Arch Manning Jerseys".
IMHO, Murphy is gone, we should thank him and let him leave, his future isn't here without a serious injury or Sark quitting or getting fired. He ain't getting fired anytime soon.

I don't know if it's going to be Ewers' decision to make, unless he wants to risk being in a legit QB battle with a guy with the last name Manning. 
Murphy is of course gone. 

Then that limits his options.  If he stays to try to grade out higher he creates a QB controversy that effects Arch and recruits (MM is likely gone anyway).  If Arch sticks around he likely beats QE out sometime next year - depending on how stubborn Sark is.  If QE stays and is NOT the game 1 starter that could end up with QE grading worse than if he left this year.  I see nothing good happening (for Quinn) if he stays this year.
My guess is Quinn starts the rest of the games this year and leaves.  That gives him the best chance to go in the first 2 rounds, and depending on what he does the last x number of games could bump him up over a couple of the other QBs declaring.

To be clear, the working assumption has always been Ewers to the league after this year and I’ve seen nothing to change that. Just speculating based on the idea of MM transferring before even getting a shot at competing for the job, which hasn’t really been part of the “plan” if you want to call it that. That said, the idea that Ewers would be an actual competition with Arch Manning next season seems kind of silly.
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

That said, the idea that Ewers would be an actual competition with Arch Manning next season seems kind of silly.

It's certainly a unique situation. I don't think we'll ever know what that would have looked like, for that reason. It's just really hard to envision Manning sitting his first two years in college. 

1 minute ago, gmr548 said:

To be clear, the working assumption has always been Ewers to the league after this year and I’ve seen nothing to change that. Just speculating based on the idea of MM transferring before even getting a shot at competing for the job, which hasn’t really been part of the “plan” if you want to call it that. That said, the idea that Ewers would be an actual competition with Arch Manning next season seems kind of silly.

I'm not sure where things sit now due to how poorly Murphy has played the last two weeks, but before that, there was growing belief that it was a given that he'd be gone by the holidays.

That was not a belief based on UT wanting the guy to leave or him being unhappy. Other schools threw out some real numbers after the spring game and some of those offers might still be standing. Other groups have reached out more recently. Don't call me a liar if I get the school wrong here, but I *think* folks involved with FSU's NIL had reached out lately. 

Maybe after people watch film of these games there's less interest, but I doubt it. He has assets that cannot be taught. Coaches can convince themselves of anything. There will be teams looking for quick fixes at QB and everyone and their mother knows that Murphy isn't starting over Manning next year.

• Hook 'Em 3

9 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Don't call me a liar if I get the school wrong here, but I *think* folks involved with FSU's NIL had reached out lately. 

I've been wondering if FSU would go after Max and Jake Johnson, although I'm not sure if Max is good enough to walk into a starting job there, and he's presumably want to have the starting job wherever he goes 

Some of you think Quinn is scared of Arch beating him out next year?!?!? Why?!? Because of the name on the back of his jersey?

Quinn took a huge leap from last year to this year. I’m sure he’d make another one if he came back (which he almost certainly will not)

No way a guy who’s never started a game would be better than Year 3 Quinn. It don’t make a shit what the name on the back of his jersey says 

• Hook 'Em 2

18 minutes ago, MotownHorn said:

Some of you think Quinn is scared of Arch beating him out next year?!?!? Why?!? Because of the name on the back of his jersey?

Quinn took a huge leap from last year to this year. I’m sure he’d make another one if he came back (which he almost certainly will not)

No way a guy who’s never started a game would be better than Year 3 Quinn. It don’t make a shit what the name on the back of his jersey says 

Ewers isn't coming back. Doesn't matter.

• Hook 'Em 3

47 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Ewers isn't coming back. Doesn't matter.

You are in a better position to know but this just seems absurd given he really hasn’t done that much in college. I’m sure someone would draft him on potential but it’s definitely not a maximization of his potential draft position.  Good for him though. 

8 hours ago, Longboard Horn said:

Rice is a lot better than people give them credit for. Also Preston Stone got hurt and SMU was playing with a backup. Stone doesn't get hurt and SMU wins by 10-17 points.

To be fair, Rice played the entire second half with true freshman at QB who had thrown for a grand total of 7 yards in his career (an interesting number considering he threw for 8 yards the week prior).  SMU lost stone late in the 4th. 

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, CTC2 said:

You are in a better position to know but this just seems absurd given he really hasn’t done that much in college. I’m sure someone would draft him on potential but it’s definitely not a maximization of his potential draft position.  Good for him though. 

Well, I haven't heard anything lately, so maybe he transfers somewhere else and plays next year. He's never factored into the UT plans for the 2024 roster. 

If you look at the family's behavior since high school, the dad has pushed him ahead towards the moneygrabs over and over, irrespective of readiness. I'm highly skeptical that changes this cycle.

12 minutes ago, CTC2 said:

This gets discussed all the time, but take a look at college production from Anthony Richardson and Will Levis. Absolutely not absurd that a team would take a chance on Quinn with his arm talent (and if you can't separate that from his actual production that's on you). 

• Hook 'Em 3

44 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Well, I haven't heard anything lately, so maybe he transfers somewhere else and plays next year. He's never factored into the UT plans for the 2024 roster. 

If you look at the family's behavior since high school, the dad has pushed him ahead towards the moneygrabs over and over, irrespective of readiness. I'm highly skeptical that changes this cycle.

When Anthony Richardson goes #4 last year based on measurables alone, and Will Levis is the first pick of the second round, there is absolutely zero chance Quinn will not be a first round pick. I would be surprised if he wasn't a top 10 pick honestly. If I am evaluating the QBs based on NFL draft, I think Quinn is the #2 or #3 QB on the board behind Williams, and possibly behind Maye (but that will be in the eye of the beholder). He has shown quality improvement in many of the areas that people had questions about this season: leadership, reading coverages, deep ball. He is over 70% completion percentage, 4 to 1 TD to INT ration, and has a 163 QB rating. Plus, he is doing all of that against teams primarily running the flyover defense. Outside of injury questions, I am not sure what there is to really nitpick.  

• Hook 'Em 9

13 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

When Anthony Richardson goes #4 last year based on measurables alone, and Will Levis is the first pick of the second round, there is absolutely zero chance Quinn will not be a first round pick. I would be surprised if he wasn't a top 10 pick honestly. If I am evaluating the QBs based on NFL draft, I think Quinn is the #2 or #3 QB on the board behind Williams, and possibly behind Maye (but that will be in the eye of the beholder). He has shown quality improvement in many of the areas that people had questions about this season: leadership, reading coverages, deep ball. He is over 70% completion percentage, 4 to 1 TD to INT ration, and has a 163 QB rating. Plus, he is doing all of that against teams primarily running the flyover defense. Outside of injury questions, I am not sure what there is to really nitpick.  

Agreed.  There is no way he's ready to start day 1 but someone with a relatively stable short term QB situation will snag him in the late first or 2nd convinced they can develop him.  That would be best thing for him obviously.  He's still a work in progress and would not do well if thrown into the NFL fire right away.

Edited by Skipper

3 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

He's not big enough, durable enough, or a good enough athlete.  Here's where somebody posts Tom Brady's man boobs.  But Quinn is not 6-4.  He's a middle round pick at best.  

Nope. His arm talent, along with this years performance, says enough. Maybe he slips into second round depending on how things play out this year.

19 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

He's not big enough, durable enough, or a good enough athlete.  Here's where somebody posts Tom Brady's man boobs.  But Quinn is not 6-4.  He's a middle round pick at best.  

Brady was drafted 23 years ago when offensive schemes dictated height as a much more important draft metric. It's not a deal breaker like it used to be. 

Ewers is 6'2", the same height as Aaron Rodgers and Patrick Mahomes.

If he gets dinged as a prospect, it isn't going to be because of his height. 

Edited by Pods
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, CTC2 said:

I can always tell the Texas fans that don't watch the NFL by whether they think a QB with an elite arm or at least ideal size won't go first round. Especially white QBs with elite traits. 

Ewers is 100 percent gone after this season and unless his right arm falls off will 100 percent be a first round pick. 

Next year will be Arch. Maalik in 2 games looks insanely raw and immobile. If Arch isn't substantially more refined than that at this point I'd be shocked. We should all hope that isn't the case for next season's sake. 

• Hook 'Em 5

Fwiw which isn't much, NFL Mock Draft Database consensus mock currently has Quinn early 2nd round.

I think in most drafts Quinn would be a clear first rounder. What may hurt him this year is that it's such a QB-rich draft. Caleb and Maye at the top, then you have a huge bucket of potential 1st / early 2nd guys including Mccarthy, Shedeur, Nix, Penix, and Quinn.

4 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Maybe after people watch film of these games there's less interest, but I doubt it. He has assets that cannot be taught. Coaches can convince themselves of anything. There will be teams looking for quick fixes at QB and everyone and their mother knows that Murphy isn't starting over Manning next year.

What's the scoop on why MM is playing over Manning right now? I know they wanted Manning to redshirt but that's locked up at this point. Does Arch just need more time to adjust / learn the playbook?

18 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Fwiw which isn't much, NFL Mock Draft Database consensus mock currently has Quinn early 2nd round.

I think in most drafts Quinn would be a clear first rounder. What may hurt him this year is that it's such a QB-rich draft. Caleb and Maye at the top, then you have a huge bucket of potential 1st / early 2nd guys including Mccarthy, Shedeur, Nix, Penix, and Quinn.

I could see the 2nd round for Quin.   Don't think he's ever played a whole season without missing time with an injury.  Not sure how much the NFL factors that into their picks but it has to be some.  

1 hour ago, Hermanator said:

I can always tell the Texas fans that don't watch the NFL by whether they think a QB with an elite arm or at least ideal size won't go first round. Especially white QBs with elite traits. 

Ewers is 100 percent gone after this season and unless his right arm falls off will 100 percent be a first round pick. 

Next year will be Arch. Maalik in 2 games looks insanely raw and immobile. If Arch isn't substantially more refined than that at this point I'd be shocked. We should all hope that isn't the case for next season's sake. 

You’re right. I haven’t watched an NFL game since the Cowboys hired Switzer. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Tex-19 said:

What's the scoop on why MM is playing over Manning right now? I know they wanted Manning to redshirt but that's locked up at this point. Does Arch just need more time to adjust / learn the playbook?

This is my opinion but I believe it's Sark, as a former college QB, doing a solid for his guy he recruited who stuck by him after the Ewers transfer. I think he believes in Maalik and never thought he'd be so insanely turnover prone in 2 games. 

I get it, and if we were 6-3 with no shot at the playoffs or conference title I'd agree with it. But when you're right in line to play for the conference title you have to make the tough decision and find out on the field who is the best backup for the moment when 2 guys are this close and a number 1 in the class guy is in the wings. Just by virtue of what other top of class guys like Caleb Williams, Tua, and Lawrence have done coming in as true freshmen in recent years. 

• Like 1

So had it been mentioned by multiple sources that Quinn is practicing this week? We're gonna need him. 

TCU has been bad this season but still a coach that has beaten us, a defensive staff that shut us down last year, and that Briles' veer system that PK had a hell of a time defending in the Cotton bowl. We gotta come out and muscle these fuckers for 60

2 hours ago, ClubWhatever said:

The funny thing is there actually is going to be an NFL draft, he will go in the top 45 picks (probably top 20) and you will be surprised even though everyone has told you otherwise. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

So had it been mentioned by multiple sources that Quinn is practicing this week? We're gonna need him. 

TCU has been bad this season but still a coach that has beaten us, a defensive staff that shut us down last year, and that Briles' veer system that PK had a hell of a time defending in the Cotton bowl. We gotta come out and muscle these fuckers for 60

That defense no longer has guys like Thorpe award winner, T. Hodges Tomlinson, Dee Winters, and Dylan Horton. The latter of which  completely dominated Cole Hutson and wrecked our offense's ability to get much of anything going. We also had a few uncharacteristic drops along the way.

Their OL is also missing guys like Steve Avila and Alan Ali. Obviously, they are without Duggan, Johnston, Miller, Demercado, and Barber. 

Another thing I don't hear much about is that they are another year removed from the influence of Gary Patterson. This isn't the same team we saw in Austin last year.

• Hook 'Em 3

I have no inkling where Ewers will go in the Draft. Nothing will surprise me at this point — but I do know NFL teams are desperate to find franchise QB’s. Hell, I had him as a lock for 1-1 after last year’s 49-0 win over Oklahoma. My concern if I was a NFL GM is his susceptibility to injury. He was injured in HS, got injured last year in his first year in Austin and injured again this season.

5 hours ago, Vertigo said:

There is absolutely above a zero chance that Quinn is not a first round pick 

• Hook 'Em 1