9-1

Huckleberry

1 minute ago, Chuckie Finster said:

This website would have burned itself to the ground if we were Georgia and we only beat South Carolina by 10 and Auburn by 7.

2005 gave this fanbase has a warped perception of what success looks like, when that roster was arguably one of the top 5 ever constructed in college football history.  Much more often, good teams look like 2009 - Some elite players covering up absolute black holes.  

Also, is this bolded quote from 2011?  We've known this for like over a decade, and it's a really weird statement to make right after we DID beat TCU in what is apparently the worst game of football ever played, according to most on this website.

I was lucky enough to avoid this website over the weekend, and it's apparent that many of you have lost your minds. 

That roster was getting it's ass whipped by Kansas before Vince went superman. I can only imagine all the levelheaded, pragmatic, "critical because we aren't sunshine pumper' assholes out there who were just losing their minds watching Vince struggle against Kansas lol. I don't watch enough games by other teams to know if saban, smart, day, dabo have game day management issues that just don't get blown up because their talent level is better than everybody they play every damn game. I'd be willing to bet all coaches make dumb game day decisions, but the hyper focus on your favorite team makes people way too damn critical. I have seen on the recruiting board where all the "smart people" post that football coaches are meat heads, so why would anybody expect a staff full of meat heads to get split second decisions right more often than not? 

• Hook 'Em 1

This website would have burned itself to the ground if we were Georgia and we only beat South Carolina by 10 and Auburn by 7.
2005 gave this fanbase has a warped perception of what success looks like, when that roster was arguably one of the top 5 ever constructed in college football history.  Much more often, good teams look like 2009 - Some elite players covering up absolute black holes.  
Also, is this bolded quote from 2011?  We've known this for like over a decade, and it's a really weird statement to make right after we DID beat TCU in what is apparently the worst game of football ever played, according to most on this website.
I was lucky enough to avoid this website over the weekend, and it's apparent that many of you have lost your minds. 

In my lifetime, Texas has never had a roster without “holes.” We had holes in 2005. The LB tslent was minimal. No big play, big talent WRs. No DB depth beyond the first 5. Only 6 Ol. Apparently people didn’t have the internet to scrutinize and lay blame as they do now.

The struggles Texas has are really no different than everyone else. The best of the best always have games that don’t come easy as they should.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Like I've been saying all season, IDGAF about the spreads or any of that shit. Just win. Even if we beat a mediocre team by 1 point, a wins a win. Shit the last time we were 9-1 was Mack and the last season we had 9 wins or more was 2018. 

Iowa State and Tech are very winnable. Just keep pounding away. Am I nervous about going to Ames? Yes because ISU is dangerous. Am I confident we can win? Of course. Just 2 seasons ago we finished 5-7 with a six game losing streak. Now We're sitting at 9-1(could be 10-0) with a double digit road win over mighty Bama. The program is headed in the right direction. 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, immamac said:

It's hilarious that you think this is how it works. 

You are misjudging my ties to the program and who/what I know. Seriously. We all appreciate what you do for the program. However, bags aren't everything. A fact aggy is fucking around and finding out. Program trajectory and fit are a big deal. Kids want a bag, yes. However, their ultimate goal is the NFL and so program fit is also important.

• Hook 'Em 3

One last thing to add: yes it's frustrating that teams we should have dump trucked(Houston, K State and TCU) were able to come back and make it close because Sark took his foot off the pedal, but at least we finished. During the Charlie and Tom years we lose games like that. An ugly win is always better than losing. Yes we have a handful of ugly wins, but we're still ranked in the top 10 and control our own destiny to make the CCG. Be happy and satisfied with it. 

18 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

That roster was getting it's ass whipped by Kansas before Vince went superman. I can only imagine all the levelheaded, pragmatic, "critical because we aren't sunshine pumper' assholes out there who were just losing their minds watching Vince struggle against Kansas lol. I don't watch enough games by other teams to know if saban, smart, day, dabo have game day management issues that just don't get blown up because their talent level is better than everybody they play every damn game. I'd be willing to bet all coaches make dumb game day decisions, but the hyper focus on your favorite team makes people way too damn critical. I have seen on the recruiting board where all the "smart people" post that football coaches are meat heads, so why would anybody expect a staff full of meat heads to get split second decisions right more often than not? 

But you DID get to see that. Saban, despite seeing on film that if you attack our center guard combos we struggle running the football, came out and ran what he always ran. He then tried to man up on our NFL receivers and got his secondary walked by. ALL GAME. Never made coverage adjustments. On offense he wouldn't cut Milroe loose. Even when the game got desperate.

• Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

You are misjudging my ties to the program and who/what I know. Seriously. We all appreciate what you do for the program. However, bags aren't everything. A fact aggy is fucking around and finding out. Program trajectory and fit are a big deal. Kids want a bag, yes. However, their ultimate goal is the NFL and so program fit is also important.

I'm not doing any of that. You are sitting here acting like NIL wouldn't have kept a significant amount of players from leaving or coming with Tom Herman. Players have tried to leave under Sark too none of them stayed because program trajectory and fit. It's laughable to credit it to anything else. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Sark doesn't seem "happy and satisfied" after winning these games. There is something broken in the way we are approaching the games after taking a lead, and it seems like even the coaches don't know how to fix it. I am worried if we keep playing with fire, we are likely to get burned one day.

We have shown that we can dominate teams for some streches. Not sure what it will take to maintain that edge the entire game. Why does the defense play well early and then capitulate late in the game? Is it a mental issue or conditioning problem? Why does the offense start to implode after taking a decent lead and then we are relying on someone's heroism to save us? 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

Sark doesn't seem "happy and satisfied" after winning these games. There is something broken in the way we are approaching the games after taking a lead, and it seems like even the coaches don't know how to fix it. I am worried if we keep playing with fire, we are likely to get burned one day.

We have shown that we can dominate teams for some streches. Not sure what it will take to maintain that edge the entire game. Why does the defense play well early and then capitulate late in the game? Is it a mental issue or conditioning problem? Why does the offense start to implode after taking a decent lead and then we are relying on someone's heroism to save us? 

This should have fans much happier rather than hearing the "winning is hard" shit from the previous guy. He knows things aren't good enough long term.

• Hook 'Em 5

10 hours ago, BeardIP said:

I mean, Bama vs Middle Tennessee and USF should have alerted everyone that the Bama win at the time was half gold and half fools gold. To give Bama credit, they've actually gotten better week over week against quality opponents whereas we seem to have stagnated (including an injury to our QB, fair or unfair). I think the one game that Bama played like crap past the early season was the arky game because arky suuuuucks.

Bama is definitely improved.  But that game wasn't miracle on ice.  We were bigger and controlled the LOS.  That won't change if there is a rematch.  Bama still has youth on the OL and a QB that can be made 1 dimensional if we can stop the run.  The worst thing Bama can face is a team that is as big and better on the lines and a team that can score and go up.  Force Milroe to throw and you end up seeing Bama struggle.  The look great now but that has more to do with their opponents and match ups.  Let's see how they match up against UGA.  We are also injury ridden and playing our back up QB.  I'd take Texas in that matchup any day as long as our starters are healthy.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, immamac said:

I'm not doing any of that. You are sitting here acting like NIL wouldn't have kept a significant amount of players from leaving or coming with Tom Herman. Players have tried to leave under Sark too none of them stayed because program trajectory and fit. It's laughable to credit it to anything else. 

I understand that. What I am saying to you is that a 5 star receiver isn't going to go play in a wishbone system despite NIL. Here are all the things kids are looking at. Program trajectory. System fit. NIL. How soon can they get on the field. All of those things are important. So when you add in that the coach is an asshole kids start looking at choices. As you know, some of the "kids trying to leave" shit is them posturing for more money. Some kids like Wiley, are truly looking for a better fit despite being taken care of as far as NIL goes. Tom Herman has systemic issues that would keep a lot of high quality player from playing for him.

22 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Trajectory: we are 9-1 for the first time since before most of the roster could tie their shoes

Fit: For the first time in the social media era, we have no public malcontents.  No players parents bitching on social media.  No anonymous rumors of locker room issues

NFL: we are 6 months away from an NFL draft that will feature the most draft picks/first rounders since Colt was on campus

The blown leads need to be addressed, but seriously what are we even whining about right now?

Agreed on all accounts. I am the choir here. We are in year 3. Program trajectory is headed the right way but people here expect perfection. We are still a flawed team, but winning despite that.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Trajectory: we are 9-1 for the first time since before most of the roster could tie their shoes

Fit: For the first time in the social media era, we have no public malcontents.  No players parents bitching on social media.  No anonymous rumors of locker room issues

NFL: we are 6 months away from an NFL draft that will feature the most draft picks/first rounders since Colt was on campus

The blown leads need to be addressed, but seriously what are we even whining about right now?

I'm happy we're 9-1, yes, I'll be thankful.  We are a stupid fan base at times, where anything that isnt a natty is a disappointment.  my current complaints come from how I think the rest of this season will play out.  We're far from perfect, and have regressed since ou.  My prediction is we will be disappointed with a big12 CCG performace, or the first round of the Playoff game.  I want to be wrong, but this is how I see it.

8 minutes ago, freyguy said:

I'm happy we're 9-1, yes, I'll be thankful.  We are a stupid fan base at times, where anything that isnt a natty is a disappointment.  my current complaints come from how I think the rest of this season will play out.  We're far from perfect, and have regressed since ou.  My prediction is we will be disappointed with a big12 CCG performace, or the first round of the Playoff game.  I want to be wrong, but this is how I see it.

"Something might happen in a few weeks so I'm going to ruin today" is a miserable way to go through life, if I'm being honest.

Having that mindset after the last decade+ of shit that we've been forced to endure as Longhorn fans should be certifiable.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Chuckie Finster said:

"Something might happen in a few weeks so I'm going to ruin today" is a miserable way to go through life, if I'm being honest.

Having that mindset after the last decade+ of shit that we've been forced to endure as Longhorn fans should be certifiable.

dang, you really pounced on that jump to conclusions mat....

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

This is all true - the concern for me are these little windows in time that the CFB Gods give you that you have to capitalize on.  The Rig12 is dogshit this year and this team keeps regressing, not surging.  At some point this team has to turn a corner and be what the prognosticators think you can be:  dominant.  The first half play is proof of this.  It's the second half that has everyone so concerned.   

1 hour ago, WinningIsHard said:

We beat Kansas 66-14 in 2005 so I guess you're talking about 2004 in Lawrence when we came from behind to win 27-23. I covered that game. I don't recall Texas getting "whipped" at any point. What I remember is that Texas shot its dick off most of the game before Vince took over in the fourth quarter. Vince and the guys were still figuring things out as that was the first year VY was the full-time starting QB.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

To the regressing comments, it’s hard to truly call it regressing when you are playing with a backup redshirt freshman due to an injury to your stud QB. If it were the same cast of characters who pooped the bed I’d be more open to using that term and I give Ewers a week (TCU) to shake the rust off and acknowledge he’s probably not 100% and rushed back due to the “regression” you guys are calling it.

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, freyguy said:

My prediction is we will be disappointed with a big12 CCG performace, or the first round of the Playoff game.  I want to be wrong, but this is how I see it.

If you are negative because we 'might be disappointed with a first round playoff performance' your expectations are ridiculous.  Nothing about this teams screams should be playing for a national championship.  We have way more holes on this roster than those that should have that level of expectations. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, BeardIP said:

To the regressing comments, it’s hard to truly call it regressing when you are playing with a backup redshirt freshman due to an injury to your stud QB. If it were the same cast of characters who pooped the bed I’d be more open to using that term and I give Ewers a week (TCU) to shake the rust off and acknowledge he’s probably not 100% and rushed back due to the “regression” you guys are calling it.

I'd offer up the Houston game.  They were storming back before QE left the game and it was still very much in doubt.  This is in Houston in front is a sparse crowd.  

• Rage+1 1

5 minutes ago, BeardIP said:

Yes to this too. OK, we lost to OU, which should never have happened. The UH meltdown can be attributed to Quinn getting hurt much earlier than we thought and trying to gut his way through. Then it was Maalik against BYU and K-State. BYU is terrible and we lost our focus in the second half against KSU. Give us a healthy Quinn and I don't think any of UH, BYU or K-State are in doubt. He's clearly still struggling with whatever knocked him out of the lineup but Sark and crew know he HAS to play. Now, our All-American RB has been lost for the rest of the season. So, again, with all that adversity I'm not worried about the CFP. I do think if we win out, we will likely get in because history has shown that we won't have four undefeated teams. If Bama beats Georgia, the Dawgs should be out. I also think our win over Bama in Tuscaloosa will see us through in any side-by-side comparison with the Tide. But, again, I'm not losing sleep over any of this. I want our focus on Iowa State and then Tech and then hopefully, OK State in the Big 12 Champ Game.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, C-Man said:

And that would represent substantial progress. Hell, 9-1 is already progress from where we were In Year 1 under Sark no matter what happens from here. Personally, I don't think we can win the whole thing so I'm not overly fixated on the CFP. I just want to win the last Big 12 Championship that we will play for. If that gets us into the Final 4, that's great. Otherwise, I'm going to feel pretty good with a 10, 11 or 12-win season that includes the Big 12 trophy as a final "fuck you" to the rest of the league on our way out the door.

This.  Conference title need to be the prize now.  Win the last one with a giant FU to the conference on the way out the door

1 minute ago, C-Man said:

The UH meltdown can be attributed to Quinn getting hurt much earlier than we thought and trying to gut his way through

Good point

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, C-Man said:

We beat Kansas 66-14 in 2005 so I guess you're talking about 2004 in Lawrence when we came from behind to win 27-23. I covered that game. I don't recall Texas getting "whipped" at any point. What I remember is that Texas shot its dick off most of the game before Vince took over in the fourth quarter. Vince and the guys were still figuring things out as that was the first year VY was the full-time starting QB.

Yeah my apologies for getting seasons crossed up with original post quoted. Figuring things out the 10th game of the year? We barely beat arkansas, missouri, kansas or aggy that year. Cedric benson (God rest his soul) is all 4 of our rb's put together this year. Brian Luke (can't make that name up) and John Nielsen threw for 308 yards lol. We want to fire PK when he gives up those numbers, and we don't have a player who can hold a candle to cedric griffin, michael huff, tarrel brown, or arron ross. 

2 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Yes to this too. OK, we lost to OU, which should never have happened. The UH meltdown can be attributed to Quinn getting hurt much earlier than we thought and trying to gut his way through. Then it was Maalik against BYU and K-State. BYU is terrible and we lost our focus in the second half against KSU. Give us a healthy Quinn and I don't think any of UH, BYU or K-State are in doubt. He's clearly still struggling with whatever knocked him out of the lineup but Sark and crew know he HAS to play. Now, our All-American RB has been lost for the rest of the season. So, again, with all that adversity I'm not worried about the CFP. I do think if we win out, we will likely get in because history has shown that we won't have four undefeated teams. If Bama beats Georgia, the Dawgs should be out. I also think our win over Bama in Tuscaloosa will see us through in any side-by-side comparison with the Tide. But, again, I'm not losing sleep over any of this. I want our focus on Iowa State and then Tech and then hopefully, OK State in the Big 12 Champ Game.

Maybe this is a comment for the other thread about the CFP, but to your points, if Oregon gets credit for rematching and avenging their one loss in their ccg, then we should too (assuming OU is now going to be there again after OSU collapsed).

27 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

Yeah my apologies for getting seasons crossed up with original post quoted. Figuring things out the 10th game of the year? We barely beat arkansas, missouri, kansas or aggy that year. Cedric benson (God rest his soul) is all 4 of our rb's put together this year. Brian Luke (can't make that name up) and John Nielsen threw for 308 yards lol. We want to fire PK when he gives up those numbers, and we don't have a player who can hold a candle to cedric griffin, michael huff, tarrel brown, or arron ross. 

The 2004 team was nowhere near the juggernaut the 2005 bunch was. That whole season was "figuring things out." Before then, we were uber-talented but usually shrunk in the moment. It was Vince's first year as the true starter and remember how Mack/GDGD were cramping his style? I'm not sure when exactly it occurred but Vince finally convinced them to just let Vince be Vince. Remember we were also shutout by OU and trailed OK State 35-7 in Austin late in the second quarter that season.

26 minutes ago, BeardIP said:

Maybe this is a comment for the other thread about the CFP, but to your points, if Oregon gets credit for rematching and avenging their one loss in their ccg, then we should too (assuming OU is now going to be there again after OSU collapsed).

Oddly enough, OK State still controls its own destiny, I think. They've got two should-be-easy games but that's assuming OK State isn't really the team that got smoked by South Alabama and Central Florida. The team that lost those two games could easily drop one (or both) the remaining games.

1 minute ago, C-Man said:

The 2004 team was nowhere near the juggernaut the 2005 bunch was. That whole season was "figuring things out." Before then, we were uber-talented but usually shrunk in the moment. It was Vince's first year as the true starter and remember how Mack/GDGD were cramping his style? I'm not sure when exactly it occurred but Vince finally convinced them to just let Vince be Vince. Remember we were also shutout by OU and trailed OK State 35-7 in Austin late in the second quarter that season.

Oddly enough, OK State still controls its own destiny, I think. They've got two should-be-easy games but that's assuming OK State isn't really the team that got smoked by South Alabama and Central Florida. The team that lost those two games could easily drop one (or both) the remaining games.

I think I read that if K State, OSU, and OU end up tied (likely). Then K State could get the nod as well depending on the outcomes of other games. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Longboard Horn said:

Like I've been saying all season, IDGAF about the spreads or any of that shit. Just win. Even if we beat a mediocre team by 1 point, a wins a win. Shit the last time we were 9-1 was Mack and the last season we had 9 wins or more was 2018. 

This is exactly where I am.

Holy fuck am I happy we are 9-1.  This is the first time in a long time we are:

At 9 wins in 10 games
Considered a favorite to make the CCG
Right on the edge of making the CFP if we win out and have some things fall our way

Win by 1, win by 10, win by 30 - a win is a win. We've already progressed past last year's in total, making Sark's trajectory 5 -> 8 -> 9+ 

• Hook 'Em 5

1 hour ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

I think I read that if K State, OSU, and OU end up tied (likely). Then K State could get the nod as well depending on the outcomes of other games. 

https://bball.notnothing.net/big12.php?sport=fb

This lets you calculate what should happen based on game results, and weirdly enough, if Cincinnati beats Kansas the last week of the season, then it ends up being OU/Texas due to the difference in the Iowa State and Kansas results.

3 hours ago, Chuckie Finster said:

The blown leads will get addressed by giving some of our young talent another year. We are what we are this year.

The whining is that it's probably going to cost us a game we should win, and losing a game now may be enough to keep us out of the last Big XII Championship game.

6 minutes ago, Pancho said:

If you lost to someone in that group, you're out (Bama out).  If you lost to someone who lost to someone else in that group, you're out (Georgia out). If you beat the team you lost to earlier in the season in a CCG rematch, you're in (Oregon in).

Texas and Oregon fill out the field.

Edited by Guadaloopy
  • Hook 'Em 3

This is all true - the concern for me are these little windows in time that the CFB Gods give you that you have to capitalize on.  The Rig12 is dogshit this year and this team keeps regressing, not surging.  At some point this team has to turn a corner and be what the prognosticators think you can be:  dominant.  The first half play is proof of this.  It's the second half that has everyone so concerned.   
Early in the season it was the opposite. In fact the talking heads were saying how we get stronger as the game goes on and win the 4th quarter. I don't know exactly what happened since then but I'm reasonably sure attrition through injuries plays a part.
  • Hook 'Em 3

16 minutes ago, Guadaloopy said:

If you lost to someone in that group, you're out (Bama out).  If you lost to someone who lost to someone else in that group, you're out (Georgia out). If you beat the team you lost to earlier in the season in a CCG rematch, you're in (Oregon in).

Texas and Oregon fill out the field.

I kind of think Oregon gets screwed there, and Bama and Texas get in. 

• Hook 'Em 1

28 minutes ago, ousux said:
3 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

Early in the season it was the opposite. In fact the talking heads were saying how we get stronger as the game goes on and win the 4th quarter. I don't know exactly what happened since then but I'm reasonably sure attrition through injuries plays a part.

People compare UT's close games to Georgia against Auburn or South Carolina, etc. The difference is that Georgia starts slow and and then turns it on and pulls away. They outscored South Carolina 21-0 in the second half and outscored Auburn 17-3 in the last 16 minutes of the game. Michigan has had some slow starts and then blow out their opponents. That's a "normal" pattern when dominant teams play cupcakes. Texas is just weird this year.

• Hook 'Em 1

People compare UT's close games to Georgia against Auburn or South Carolina, etc. The difference is that Georgia starts slow and and then turns it on and pulls away. They outscored South Carolina 21-0 in the second half and outscored Auburn 17-3 in the last 16 minutes of the game. Michigan has had some slow starts and then blow out their opponents. That's a "normal" pattern when dominant teams play cupcakes. Texas is just weird this year.
I think we need to admit scholarship limits and increasing admission standards among some of the blue bloods means there are far less true cupcakes to feast on these days. Of course they're still out there (NM schools, who aggy plays this week etc) but many traditional cupcakes aren't as soft and creamy as they used to be.

Summing up:

1. This is our best team and season in years.

2. We are terrible.

3. Lose to ISU (sure to happen because reasons) or Tech, and we might as well blow our brains out.

4. Win out through the CCG, making us 12-1 and earning our first title since '09, and it's meh -- Sark can't coach.

5. We probably need help to get into the playoffs this year.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1