9-1

Huckleberry

35 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

I don't know what the problem is really. Will the program outgrow this issue? Is it really idiotic leadership? I have seen subpar leadership. It doesn't look like increasing talent and better results. The fact we had Brooks and Baxter ready to replace Bijan and Roschon is amazing. That is not idiotic leadership and coaching.

So are our current issues just a stage in our rising up from our doldrums or are they something that just comes with Sark and they will will ultimately be his undoing.

I don't know. So I will wait and see. But not pissed yet. Maybe this tendency just something we have to overcome.

But I certainly expect it going forward this year. But I also expected all these games to be tough.

A more consistent offensive line that run blocks better would really help. In the off-season,  Sark needs to get feedback from other offensive coaches on his 2nd half playcalling issues, and red zone struggles.

Just keep learning and improving.  Texas needs to convert 3rd downs more consistently.  

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Hook 'Em 3

8 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

A more consistent offensive line that run blocks better would really help. In the off-season,  Sark needs to get feedback from other offensive coaches on his 2nd half playcalling issues, and red zone struggles.

Just keep learning and improving.  Texas needs to convert 3rd downs more consistently.  

Somebody should post Kelvin Banks PFF run block grades prior to the Kansas game and after. Ever since the injury late in the Baylor game, I don't think Banks has ever looked completely right. 

He's battling some type of injury. 

2 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Somebody should post Kelvin Banks PFF run block grades prior to the Kansas game and after. Ever since the injury late in the Baylor game, I don't think Banks has ever looked completely right. 

He's battling some type of injury. 

Ankle.  And hurt his elbow vs kstate trying to make the tackle on interception...  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

We are seconds away from being 10-0 and we beat Alabama in Tuscaloosa and people are bitching and moaning that it's not enough and they are "over Sark and this team". It's just embarrassing.

Yep. Last I checked, a 3-point win still counts the same as a 50-point win. Buncha numbnuts bitches complaining, calling for firing Sark, etc. FML. Fuckers probably can't even remember the last time we were 9-1.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

I’ll take 9-1 but we’re playing with fire and eventually, our luck will run out. Our head coach is a problem but our O line isn’t executing in the 2nd half and our D seems to decide no longer to give effort when we’re up big. I think we have a problem of player leadership and our HC that wants to continue to be an OC only in crucial moments. Gideon/Joseph doesn’t mesh with PK and that needs to be fixed which means someone has to go.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MissingInAction said:

Completely shitting the bed for 2 minutes and 2 touchdowns seems to be our norm now. It happened at the worst part of the game against ousux and almost against kstate.

That said..9-1 feels good. 

Corn aggy will get mudholed.

We're playing Nebraska? Well that eases a lot of concerns!

• Haha 1

In the mid 2000s you got the sense that Texas could beat any team anytime anywhere.

I dont have that same confidence with this 9-1 team.  

Now what I feel absolutely doesn’t matter. But if the playoff committee feels the same way, with still 5 undefeated teams (only 2 of which share the same conf), thats absolutely a problem. 

That said…perhaps beating an Oregon or Michigan in a NY6 bowl would be a more satisfying finish to the season than getting walloped by a Georgia in the playoffs?

5 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

In the mid 2000s you got the sense that Texas could beat any team anytime anywhere.

I dont have that same confidence with this 9-1 team.  

I still feel like this team can beat anyone at anytime. Problem is, I feel like they can blow it against any P5 opponent with a pulse as well. 

Oh well. Beats Turtle Tom or one of Charlie's TCU catastrophes. 

26 minutes ago, LateAughtsHorn said:

I still feel like this team can beat anyone at anytime. Problem is, I feel like they can blow it against any P5 opponent with a pulse as well. 

Oh well. Beats Turtle Tom or one of Charlie's TCU catastrophes. 

This. I'd feel more confident about this team beating top 4 teams in the playoffs than winning the next 2-3 games. 

Edited by Bevo14
  • Hook 'Em 4

8 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

You’re way more confident playing up in Ames at night than me.

I have little confidence and fully expect a close game at that place at night, but I'm rolling with these guys learning to figure things out and find a way.

Even though ISU offense is a passing attack, this might be the one team we match up better on with our defense. Limit their home runs and I like our chances.

17 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

You’re way more confident playing up in Ames at night than me.

The idea that Ames at night is some house of horrors is one of those things that I've noticed for years now, but still don't remember when, and where it came from. 

Next week worries me because this team has trouble finishing games and stalls out their momentum with inexplicable decisions across the board. Not because of Ames or Mr. 5 loss per year culture.

These next two games are about how Texas is able to handle business. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, South Austin said:

I’m thrilled we’re 9-1. But I’m still suing Sark.

Class action.

I will say that we still have the goal, as tarnished and battered and difficult to watch as it has been, in the sights.

To win the final big 12 conference title and leave behind every shit ass program with a nasty taste in their mouth.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, LateAughtsHorn said:

The idea that Ames at night is some house of horrors is one of those things that I've noticed for years now, but still don't remember when, and where it came from. 

Next week worries me because this team has trouble finishing games and stalls out their momentum with inexplicable decisions across the board. Not because of Ames or Mr. 5 loss per year culture.

These next two games are about how Texas is able to handle business. 

I mean we’re 1-3 in our last 4 in Ames so that coupled with our closing games out and brooks being out is a huge concern. 

Why does 9-1 feel so…bad? It shouldn’t, we haven’t seen this in over a decade. Yet, here I am thinking “worst 1 loss team in the nation”. 

Is it PTSD? Are the burnt orange glasses working against me? Is the koolaid sugar free?

The reality is the record is the record and arguably this teams worst game resulted in a loss. They have also let leads evaporate and look very mid in stretches this year. The worst part is seeing other top 10 teams handle business, where it feels like we are hanging on.

idk, maybe I just need to take a step back and be happy to keep grinding out wins. Because being worse than 9-1 would be just that, worse.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

If we can’t beat that shit ass ISU team just because our starting running back is out we are truly as terrible as the regards on here say.

This. ISU is not particularly good. TCU was a much tougher matchup. Absent simply gifting ISU points on a silver platter, Texas wins if they get to 21-24 points. Even without Brooks I don’t see them being unable to clear that.

Sark is a liability on game day who has and will continue to cost Texas games. He’s also elevated the roster to the point where getting all the way to actually losing these games is pretty difficult. We talk like it’s one or the other but the fact is both are true and the former is more frustrating because of the latter.
  • Hook 'Em 2

37 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Where the hell is Whittington? Seems like the guy you want when it's 3rd and 4 and you need a first down.

He’s running wide open across the middle at this very moment.

I’ve not cared at all about being a playoff team this year because I think we get worked against a few of those top tier teams. 

Just win the Big XII and let the rest take care of itself.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, taybo20 said:

Why does 9-1 feel so…bad? It shouldn’t, we haven’t seen this in over a decade. Yet, here I am thinking “worst 1 loss team in the nation”. 

Is it PTSD? Are the burnt orange glasses working against me? Is the koolaid sugar free?

The reality is the record is the record and arguably this teams worst game resulted in a loss. They have also let leads evaporate and look very mid in stretches this year. The worst part is seeing other top 10 teams handle business, where it feels like we are hanging on.

idk, maybe I just need to take a step back and be happy to keep grinding out wins. Because being worse than 9-1 would be just that, worse.

You feel that way because this team is a few key plays going different from being 6-4.  

Of course, last year the team was a few key plays going different from being basically undefeated.

I would just like to see some mistake free football and better coaching decisions.  The days of blowing everyone on the schedule out are over, I'm afraid.  Too much parity in the game.  

Just irks me seeing this team underperform when yet again there's a year we could win the Big12 and make noise in the postseason.  I guess that's still on the table, but they're going to have to remove some heads from some asses to get that done.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

IDK why OLine seems to be going backwards….. But if Oline was a strength, things would be much easier!!!  

So much this.  Our oline is the biggest weakness on this team. 

The offensive line played their best game of the year against KSU and were fine last night. Texas ran for 165 yards at 4 ypc with Jonathan Brooks going down. They didn’t give up a sack on an injured QB. The stupid pre snap penalties that continue to happen are annoying but that’s really the worst thing you can say about these guys the past couple weeks. They don’t can the plays or play soft zone coverage
  • Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, Eastwood said:

We have yet to put together a complete game. That is 100% on Sark. I've never seen a coach mismanage momentum in a game like Sark does. That being said, if he can take a hard look at himself in the mirror and make the needed changes, Texas will be absolutely scary again. The talent is there, the talent is developing, it's just pure coaching mistakes, at this point. Mack was in this same position around 2003. 

Congrats on missing the entire Turtle Tom Herman era.  

We've seen flashes of "all gas no brakes," but certainly not at the consistency that we want and expect from our program.  The good news is that we are winning games that we would have lost in years past.  Some of that is absolutely due to the talent improvement, and Sark deserves credit for that.  Unlike many of you, I think that Sark is improving on the game calling side as well.  Yes, it is happening slowly and there is clearly still a lot of room for improvement, but the mistakes are fewer and not as costly.  

Dominating on the road, especially late in the season, is not as easy as some of you think it should be.  One Top 25 road team won by double digits yesterday.  One.  

It won't get any easier the rest of the way, but every one of you should expect that by now.  

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Nobody should be surprised that Sark is a net zero on game day given his track record.  To his credit he has tried to mitigate his game management by surrounding himself with seasoned coaches and analysts.   He has a good staff.  It could still be upgraded though.  He needs to work on that in the off-season.   Having a dysfunctional secondary in year 3 is totally unacceptable.  

• Hook 'Em 2