Week 12, 2023; Texas Tech at Texas

Wulaw Horn

If we’ve won five games in a row and still have no territory on the map it seems kinda dumb to me, but to each their own

You can only win what your opponent has.  If we went against aggy and said if we win, we're taking all of their dignity and all of their hot female cheerleaders, then after we destroy them, we'd still get nothing because they don't have either of those.  We can't take what they don't even own.  

We beat five teams that didn't have any land by the time we beat them.  We got nothing.  That can change this week, as tceh comes in with something to take.

Edited by TexLonghorn
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 3

If we’ve won five games in a row and still have no territory on the map it seems kinda dumb to me, but to each their own
You can only win what your opponent has.  If we went against aggy and said if we win, we're taking all of their dignity and all of their hot female cheerleaders, then after we destroy them, we'd still get nothing because they don't have either of those.  We can't take what they don't even own.  
We beat five teams that didn't have any land by the time we beat them.  We got nothing.  That can change this week, as tceh comes in with something to take.

Thanks for taking the time to explain exactly how and why it’s dumb
  • Hook 'Em 1

18 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

I saw this on Twitter and still don't get the gist.  I would guess UT has more Hispanic students/grads than any other college not in San Antonio or El Paso.

It's just plain old racism, but is't just one asshole on twitter.  We've got plenty of our own dumbasses along these lines.  The interesting part is that Tech has way more Hispanic students than any other school in Texas.  They've actively and purposefully recruited these students for years and have some kind of active designation from the feds as a Hispanic forward university, or something along those lines.

On 11/20/2023 at 4:49 AM, HenryJames said:

Is UT scared to keep alive its Texas Tech football rivalry? | Williams (lubbockonline.com)

Is UT scared to keep alive its Texas Tech football rivalry? | Don Williams, Lubbock Avalanche-Journal

A bunch of entertaining football games are coming up, as always, the week of Thanksgiving. Many will factor into conference races, but not all.

You have Georgia-Georgia Tech, Florida-Florida State, South Carolina-Clemson, Kentucky-Louisville, all non-conference games scheduled at the end of the regular season.

Maybe someday in the not-too-distant future, you can add Texas Tech football playing Texas to the list of rivalry games between non-conference opponents. All it would take is for the Longhorns to lose a little hubris. UT athletics director Chris Del Conte told the Avalanche-Journal last year he's OK with playing non-conference games against other Texas schools.

What he meant was, he's OK with playing other Texas schools the Longhorns don't perceive as a threat. They've played Rice three times in recent years, and they have UT-El Paso and UT-San Antonio scheduled in alternating seasons out through 2031.

UT leads the series with Tech 54-18. Not that risky a proposition for the burnt orange, right?

The Red Raiders won last year's game, though. And when the Texas A&M-Texas series went dormant a decade ago, Tech athletics director Kirby Hocutt eagerly obliged Texas' wish to keep playing an annual Thanksgiving game. The Red Raiders, playing Texas in Austin on Thanksgiving or the day after in 2013, 2015, 2017 and 2019, took advantage of high-visibility TV windows and won two of those games.

That's all it takes for Texas to not want to play the Red Raiders any longer than they have to.

Texas Tech officials have made it clear they'll put the Red Raiders up against the Longhorns as non-conference opponents any time, any place, the sooner, the better.

The Tech-Texas game this coming Friday night will be the last between the two football programs for the foreseeable future with Texas heading off to the Southeastern Conference at the end of the school year.

As the epicenter of college football increasingly narrows to the geography of the SEC and the Big Ten, the Red Raiders need the annual game against UT to drive visibility, the attractiveness of the schedule, ticket sales, credibility in the major polls and recruiting boosts.

Not only games against UT. We've focused on Tech's desire to continuing playing the Longhorns, but playing Texas A&M every year would be even better. Renewing that series, with its evenness, with all its close games and fantastic finishes, would be just as meaningful.

Back to the Tech-Texas discussion, though. In days gone by, universities would serve up games most attractive to their fans, without regard to the potential danger of losing. In some places, they still do, as we noted at the top.

South Carolina and Clemson have faced each other continuously since 1909, as non-conference opponents since 1971. Georgia and Georgia Tech have played continuously since 1925, as non-conference opponents since 1964.

Florida and Florida State have squared off every year since 1958, all in non-conference. Kentucky and Louisville have met each year since 1994, also all as non-conference foes.

Each of the above series, during the time frames mentioned, was interrupted only by the COVID-19 outbreak in 2020.

Virginia and Virginia Tech have played Atlantic Coast Conference games since 2004, but their many meetings between 1937 and 2003 were as non-conference opponents. Texas A&M and LSU have met 57 times, 45 as non-conference rivals. West Virginia and Penn State have met 60 times, not once in a conference game.

It's clear in that context there's nothing to keep Texas or Texas A&M from playing li'l ol' Texas Tech.

It'd be good for the programs, good for the fans and good for UT brass to come down off their high horse.

If Texas was my highest selling home game every year, I'd want to keep us on the schedule too 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, UncleSonny said:

Unfortunately this clip seems to be filmed on a potato, but you have to include Vasher as well:

image.gif.961f09d31ce41a7b8edb6f2cf69016e6.gif

Haha, I don’t think I’ve ever noticed how many Tech players we’ve attempted to murder over the years. 

I really hate that there's no good clip of this.

• Hook 'Em 2

54 minutes ago, Red Five said:

"Number 98 has been ejected for targeting." 

Today? Yep.

Then? Nope.

Junior year for me and was there (but I had to look it up to see if there was a penalty).

Here's the video clip starts at 8:55. The dude was OUT on the Texas sideline while his teammate tries to get him to stand up.

• Hook 'Em 1

I'm saying this as the Tech fan that I am. 1. About every other time we play in Austin, UT plays their best game of the year and they absolutely destroy us. You won the last game in Austin 70-35 maybe this is your off year. 2. As for officiating, for 25 years we've seen Big12 officials protect the Big12's best interests. So I ask this in all seriousness, "Is it better for the conference to have a playoff team or is it better to send UT off with a loss?" It is my opinion that money is King and every member of the BIG12 makes an extra million if UT makes the playoffs. Therefore I don't expect UT to get screwed by the refs. 3. Tech's linebacker Bryce Ramirez is playing pretty well which is amazing considering that he had a Theismannesque compound leg fracture in last falls game versus NC State. He may not be the best defensive player, but the whole defense plays better with him the game.

20 minutes ago, CustersDoctor said:

I'm saying this as the Tech fan that I am. 1. About every other time we play in Austin, UT plays their best game of the year and they absolutely destroy us. You won the last game in Austin 70-35 maybe this is your off year. 2. As for officiating, for 25 years we've seen Big12 officials protect the Big12's best interests. So I ask this in all seriousness, "Is it better for the conference to have a playoff team or is it better to send UT off with a loss?" It is my opinion that money is King and every member of the BIG12 makes an extra million if UT makes the playoffs. Therefore I don't expect UT to get screwed by the refs. 3. Tech's linebacker Bryce Ramirez is playing pretty well which is amazing considering that he had a Theismannesque compound leg fracture in last falls game versus NC State. He may not be the best defensive player, but the whole defense plays better with him the game.

The latter. This is Brett Yormark's Super Bowl.

image.thumb.jpeg.f69cee4f89e342a127b88e02b3eb3a7c.jpeg

Edited by OU Sucks

46 minutes ago, CustersDoctor said:

So, I can only conclude from this that for the last decade it's been in the Big XII's best interest for Texas to get screwed by the refs.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Haha.  My Tech father still throws a fit to this day stating that was a dirty hit.

It was.  But that was allowed back then.  I felt that hit in my bones in the stands.  I empathized with the Tech kicker, I felt his pain, then had a good laugh while I refreshed my Jack and coke.  Vasher was the most violent given both guys were going full speed.  Kindle damn near decapitated their QB.  Brackens wins the bronze medal for big hits against the tortilla throwers.  If we could find a way to work Bryant Westbrook into this conversation this thread would be complete.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, conVINCEd said:

It was.  But that was allowed back then.  I felt that hit in my bones in the stands.  I empathized with the Tech kicker, I felt his pain, then had a good laugh while I refreshed my Jack and coke.  Vasher was the most violent given both guys were going full speed.  Kindle damn near decapitated their QB.  Brackens wins the bronze medal for big hits against the tortilla throwers.  If we could find a way to work Bryant Westbrook into this conversation this thread would be complete.

I don't know, I think this one deserves something more than honorable mention:

Edited by 83Horn
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

• Pancho locked this topic
  • Pancho unlocked this topic