Week 14, 2023, Texas v Washington, College Football Playoff Edition

Wulaw Horn

22 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

Pretty much this. This ain’t mid season and I don’t want casuals talking to me the whole time.

Same here. A buddy wanted to go to BWW to watch but I’m not dealing with those idiots. I’ll just go to my brothers house and watch where I can hear the game loud and clear 

• Hook 'Em 1

38 minutes ago, sushihorn said:

I don’t see UW having any consistent running between the tackles. Their off tackle runs are going to require their OL to get good movement against our edges and combo up to the LBs. If our play side DE and LB can force the run wide, I like the odds of pursuit and safety support stopping Johnson from turning the corner. Remember Reggie Bush bounced stuff outside and turned it up for big gains all season in 2005. When he faced the speed of Texas he couldn’t do that and Lendale White became the bigger threat. I expect that sort of effect if our defensive front can avoid giving UW a soft corner in the run game. 

I can't imagine that UW's gameplan involves a large dose of running b/t tackles.  I think they may try to let our interior line carry themselves upfield and then have Dillon Johnson cut back, depending on what looks we are giving.  

As far as outside runs, yeah that's where speed and angles come into play. 

when I first watched the P12CG, I remember thinking that Oregon's LB looked really poorly coached.  Lots of missed tackles, hesitation, guarding patches of grass.  In retrospect, I think a lot of that was Grubb, and I suspect he game planned around what he saw as their reads and responsibilities. (either that or they're just poorly coached, idk)

So even though Oregon is athletic, UW had a lot of success on 3rd down because of what they were able to do near the los on early downs.  I think part of it was Oregon's reluctance to load the box, which put a lot of pressure on LB execution.  

Also, UW will run quick, short plays outside that isolate a DB depending on what they get pre snap.  

Just a matter of execution and how hard the game planning is making it for the players to execute, imo.   Part of that is on Texas to have a good gameplan and to adjust quickly to what is actually happening on field. 

Just now, Pig Bellmont said:

We almost overcame a 3-0 turnover deficit. Usually teams have no business winning those games. 

It was more like a 4 turnovers (running into the kicker extended a drive) and multiple drives in the redzone that ended with FGs or no points.

To still be ahead with 90 seconds or so in that game was nothing short of a miracle. 

If we have truly overcome out redzone issues, that only gives us more room for error in this game

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

I'm not worried about offense. Give sark a month to game plan and he can score on anyone. This game feels like it will come down to whether or not Texas can get pressure to limit deep throws and if they can't.... if the secondary can keep the play in front of them. I think Texas scores 40 to 47 pts. Can they keep Washington from scoring that many is the question. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

5 minutes ago, troph said:

God damn I love a good redemption story. Let’s fucking do this! 

Immabout to get fired up, yo!! 

When I was growing up, Darrell Royal was Texas football as far as I was concerned. I wanted him to kick ass because, from a kid’s perspective, he was larger than life. He was just the fucking man. Since then, I’ve wanted Texas coaches to succeed because I wanted Texas to succeed. They were a means to an end, more or less. Even though I’m far from a kid anymore, I want Sarkisian to be the fucking man. I want him to have the personal and professional satisfaction that comes with that.

There’s precedent for a coach stepping up from Washington to Texas and doing pretty well. Add in what he did to A&M on the field and I’m hoping we’re looking for things to name after him at some point and that it brings him whatever validation, internal and external, he’s looking for. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Drool 1

3 hours ago, alphahydro said:

it looked to me like Oregon didn't really make adjustments until shortly before halftime.  Once they did, they scored 28 and UW scored 14, but it was too late. 

This seems like the Washington blueprint for success on offense. They're experienced at QB/WR, so their passing game handles novelty/team idiosyncrasies more easily than most of their opponents' offenses do. They score early, pace themselves, and by the time the other team sorts shit out, the game is mostly over.

If I was @satyanash, this would be my concern, dude, but our DL is going to get a ton of pressure and holding calls early with non-Big XII officiating, and our capacity for late game burst is much better than their previous opponents. Washington is going to get skull fucked.

Edited by Sheep Have Wool
  • Drool 1

3 hours ago, Atticus said:

And here I thought I was weird for watching big games solo. Shit, even the “easier” games I chose to attend were less than pleasant for the people who joined me. 

I’ll be sipping/chugging manhattans all night 

No, I will be alone in my room like I was for the 2006 Rose Bowl. My family knows to leave me be on the 2nd weekend of October so this won't be any different. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

No, I will be alone in my room like I was for the 2006 Rose Bowl. My family knows to leave me be on the 2nd weekend of October so this won't be any different. 
This is how I prefer to watch big games now days. I'll be pacing back and forth and drinking whisky alone in the living room. I feel more comfortable like this than watching with a big crowd like at a bar.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Vic Mackey said:
5 minutes ago, FOXHOUND said:

This is how I prefer to watch big games now days. I'll be pacing back and forth and drinking whisky alone in the living room. I feel more comfortable like this than watching with a big crowd like at a bar.

NTTAWWT

40 minutes ago, Sheep Have Wool said:

but our DL is going to get a ton of pressure and holding calls early with non-Big XII officiating, and our capacity for late game burst is much better than their previous opponents. Washington is going to get skull fucked.

I won't be surprised if this turns out to be true or false. Big 12 crews aren't the only refs that get calls wrong. I will say that our edges would have more sacks this season if holding was called appropriately. On the flip side, Washington's tackles are both good, so they have their work cut out for them. If they can't get to the QB, I just hope they hold the edge and allow the interior to push the pocket, and our LBs/DBs to take care of the rest.

This community is all too alike.
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Haha 1

This seems like the Washington blueprint for success on offense. They're experienced at QB/WR, so their passing game handles novelty/team idiosyncrasies more easily than most of their opponents' offenses do. They score early, pace themselves, and by the time the other team sorts shit out, the game is mostly over.
If I was [mention=1022]satyanash[/mention], this would be my concern, dude, but our DL is going to get a ton of pressure and holding calls early with non-Big XII officiating, and our capacity for late game burst is much better than their previous opponents. Washington is going to get skull fucked.
I think Ethan Burke goes full wild animal like he did early in the season against Bama. He may not get to Penix every time, but he will need to be mindful of a long, skinny arm flailing at his ankles each passing play.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

I’m watching with the same 2 guys I went to Big12 championship game. Don’t mess with what works.

I was at a wedding and didn’t watch. Sooo I guess I’ll crash a wedding. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

• Pancho locked this topic
  • Pancho unlocked this topic