CFP Semifinal: Texas vs Washington - 7:45pm on ESPN

Pancho

Props to the team for fighting till the end in a game where nothing was going our way.  Sark called some great plays and some wtf ones.  I feel like we would have run some better stuff to at least give us a chance to make a play on the ball.  This season was 1 play away from playing in the national championship.  We will build on this.  The culture is in place now.  We’re out of the dumps fellas.  Enjoy the ride and Hook ‘em.

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

This. McCarthy was 7/8 in the Penn state game. They put that game away running it 20 straight times and only threw 1 pass in the second half. Harbaugh will run it 40 straight times if the run d is as soft as it looked tonight. 
Yep I don't get how coaches get too cute and go away from that works. We get a big run on the first drive. Don't think we ran another one. Ewers starts 0 for 5. Washington was begging us to run it all over them and set the tone but Sark didn't. Fucking maddening to say the least.
  • Like 2

I’m not sure what AD was doing there. He looked like he was jogging at first and had he turned, Ewers could have thrown a bullet to his back shoulder. The CB was playing off it seems like. 

Edited by Levi

1 minute ago, Huckleberry said:

Absurd we had a chance. Last series was terrible by Sarkisian. We got beat all game then had a chance for a miracle and I'm not sure what happened. First down on the last series is the most inexplicable play call since Greg Davis called for play action on 3rd and 30.

sark blew it both in prep and the last 4 tries. very clearly we had nothing there to work with. 4 throws and only one anywhere near where it was supposed to be. QB needed to pick it up and was just lost. dude has moments, love him, but he gets tecmo bowl lost somethings with happy feet and just doesn't seem to feel the game.

other QB was balls. their receivers are ok, but IMO not nearly as good as the throws they get. anyone other than penix and we win i think. huge gift with the injury to their RB. huge gift. and we shit the bed. i for sure thought we would have some crazy slants/crossing patterns in the middle of the field/goal line to end it, not a HB toss and whatever other stupidity we tossed out. still in total shock at those last 4 calls. just fucking shocking how bad that went. toss an INT man, fuck it, you have to actually throw INTO THE ENDZONE to score 🤬

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 2

2 minutes ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

As bad as we played all night and how shitty the reffing was, we had 15 second and 4 chances from the 12 and couldnt punch it in. Devastating. That was an epic fucking chokejob. 

Pretty big choke by UW to let it come down to those last four plays. 

• Like 1

This game never felt winnable until the final 45 seconds.

It's on the defense primarily, the lack of a pass rush, horrible DB play, but also insane Penix play.

But the offensive play calling was sub par as well with a complete shitting of the bed in the last 15 seconds. Quinn didn't look all that impressive either, although maybe that's because of the juxtaposition of him vs Penix. His #s weren't bad but Worthy and Mitchell, our game breakers, were non-factors all game. Washington isn't a good secondary team, there's no excuse.

We really didn't deserve it but fuck if it doesn't make it feel 10x worse when we were almost gifted a spot in the national championship game in the last minute because of an injury to the Washington RB.

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, Catdaddyhorn said:

Everybody is blaming it on Sarkisian but Ewers is the one who decides who to throw to.  Other than the WTF call to Jaden the other passes were decisions by Ewers. He didn't have to throw those fade routes. Especially with as poorly timed as they were.

That flare to the back shouldn't have even been an option and certainly not after a toss fake that wastes 2 seconds for no reason. Ewers has his share of the blame for sure but that call was dumb. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

Four shots from the 12 yard line and not a single roll out called  -  Evers is great on rollouts. 4 shots and not a single bullet up the middle, instead we get these fucking touch passes and fade shit - only one of which was close to being caught. Four shots from the 12

Yeah but the clock was ticking away and no time outs.

Not a fan of last 4 plays called, but considering team played arguably their worst game and one throw away from the W… my hats off to them for not quitting all year.

Hell of a season and proud of this group.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Eastwood said:

Oh, Jonathan Brooks, what could have been. 

What a season. Let’s run it back. 

Yeah. Watching the backup RBs have 2 back breaking fumbles and seeing Baxter’s lack of vision all game made me think this at least 10 times. We win that game if Brooks is healthy. Sucks for the team and sucks for him. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

I legit think we would have had a better chance if the last four plays were from about the 20 instead of the 12. Would have had a little more room for the receivers to work. 

we needed another 20 seconds.  get a first and 4 shots from the 3.

Washington did a good job of exposing our weaknesses and neutralizing our strengths.

We still had a chance, proud of these guys. We got outcoached before the game even started. Their game plan was very good.

Let’s get back next year and improve. Hope they learn from this.

• Hook 'Em 3

5 minutes ago, troph said:

Blue can make people miss big time he gets that to the 4 yard line and we have a bunch of better options. It was to the boundary so he was going to get out of bounds. Not a terrible call imo. 

This.  6 yards to go gives a lot more opportunity for crossing routes, picks, front pylon stuff.  Plus Blue vs an ILB and great blockers on a passive secondary; he might just get in.  It wasn't a bad call.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, sith_horn said:

Absolutely. I've said it many times and previously in this game thread. No excuse for Tashard Choice, but the buck stops with Sark on that. It's inexcusable. While wrapping the ball up doesn't guarantee a perfect hit won't cause a fumble, neither of those in this game would have occurred, nor multiple others this season.

Brooks is the best ball protector on the team, and he was coached by Drayton.

These cats have been coached on this their whole life as RB. 

Blue has fumbled s close to the goal line more than once. 

Normally I'd call it Coaching, but that's him. 

Baxter, iirc, was falling backwards. 

3 minutes ago, Slacks said:

Nah. He ran the right play.

I'm throwing it to Mitchell 1 on 1 with no Lbs or DL to tip it, etc, too. 

Sanders wasn't a post up threat. 

Worthy wasn't the hands guy. 

Go to the Whittington / Mitchell 2 man read. 

Just make a better throw there. 

Everything there except the ball position was right. 

Bullshit. When you've got an accurate passer and great receivers, you don't throw balls up for grabs to find out if the defenders going to interfere - and if that interference gets called. You roll the fuck out (as QB often are forced to do when they're chased out of the pocket) and you fire that ball to a receiver who breaks loose - 12 fucking yards away. Can't be stopped

Just now, Gut Wagon said:

I'm puzzled that we never threw an end zone slant to 5 or 13 there. But I'm no coach. Maybe Sark feared yet another deflection. 

The fact that Washington was able to pressure him in that series was the difference. If he could have sat back there comfortably, he makes a play to win.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, Juke_Em said:

Should have taken a delay of game or intentional false start to move back and get more room. Always hard to score at the 10 yard line when the defense knows there's no longer a threat of a run

While it would've been better if we were further back, I'm pretty sure UW wasn't worried about the run when any tackle short of the sticks ends the game.

Bittersweet to have a chance to win in a game where we were handily outplayed yet come up just short.  Shitty play calling at the end but wouldn’t have had a chance without the freakish injury on the Wash RB as they just tried to kill the clock.

Penix was just lights out and their WR played out of their heads.  We just hung in and kept our heads up and made it into a game when it shouldn’t have been.  

Great year.  It was a lot of fun.  Hook em gentlemen.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, gofuckyourself said:

Well, here's to a great fucking season that exceeded my expectations.

Went down fighting to the bitter end but just didn't have it.

2024 should be great.

Pretty much. We just wasted the third quarter.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, hobbes2702 said:

Yup. Thats what lost the game. Our failures on offense in the 1st half cost us

I think the two fumbles in the second half were a bigger failure. Sure we could have done better in the first half but we were tied. 

• Hook 'Em 2

• immamac unpinned this topic