Nick Saban Retirement + Alabama Corch Search Megathread - Deals with Satan Do Expire

BurntOrange&White

6 hours ago, Blotto said:

Probably none. I'm just saying I'd take Deboer 10  out of 10 times ahead of Lanning. We already know he owns Lanning. 

I think he’s likely the next saban if he can manage NIL and the portal. Probably not at WA but he’s the real deal. If I’m him I’m eyeing the blue bloods I’d consider and then wait for one of my top 1-2 choices to come open. Of course gotta keep winning at WA first. Next season is critical for him. 

Edited by troph

hmmm... Coincidence that Saban gets a beat down by Texas at home, and then decides to leave as Texas comes into the league?  

I think Saban simply knows that Sark has got something going on here, and it's a lot tougher answering questions after home losses.  I think when Saban benched Monroe after our dominating win, that was a mistake. But that Saban needed to do something to rattle the team as a whole. 

Basically, Saban retired, because he wakes up every morning now hearing hoof beats....

• Haha 2

What a way to go. Like a king. Nobody had any idea. Sure he was old and it was coming but they didn’t know it would be today. Left by going 11-2. Truly incredible with the team he had. Left on a high note. We never saw his demise and was never shown the door. Left when he wanted on his time. Truly remarkable.

• Hook 'Em 7

Just now, horn4life said:

hmmm... Coincidence that Saban gets a beat down by Texas at home, and then decides to leave as Texas comes into the league?  

I think Saban simply knows that Sark has got something going on here, and it's a lot tougher answering questions after home losses.  I think when Saban benched Monroe after our dominating win, that was a mistake. But that Saban needed to do something to rattle the team as a whole. 

Basically, Saban retired, because he wakes up every morning now hearing hoof beats....

Saban retired bc it’s an end of an era in college football.

NIL + 12 team playoff means parity.

There is no way for him to sustain the success he’s built within those confines.

He coached as long as he could within the older paradigm of college football which is still light years different from where he started. At 70 or so he doesn’t have it in him to take on the change that is coming.

i respect that he can see that. There’s no wonder he’s the GOAT.

His Death Star can’t stay in orbit given the conditions.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, alincoln said:

Seen a few posts around the interwebs that Bama immediately offered Sark after Saban retired, Sark turned it down and Bama then turned to Lanning who will be named HC before the end of the week.

If it’s in the interwebs then it must be true.

Did you know that 9/11 was an inside job?

2 minutes ago, alincoln said:

Seen a few posts around the interwebs that Bama immediately offered Sark after Saban retired, Sark turned it down and Bama then turned to Lanning who will be named HC before the end of the week.

And I heard they cried when he said no and he made them admit Texas is why he’s leaving and guess what? They said yes! Then he made them sing The Eyes of Texas on speaker phone. Allegedly of course.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 6

17 minutes ago, utexas8 said:

What a way to go. Like a king. Nobody had any idea. Sure he was old and it was coming but they didn’t know it would be today. Left by going 11-2. Truly incredible with the team he had. Left on a high note. We never saw his demise and was never shown the door. Left when he wanted on his time. Truly remarkable.

Yup. Saban literally walked on water at Alabama. 

7 hours ago, Burt said:

Agree.  Bama is Bama because of Saban.  Well, he aint there anymore.  Everyone is acting like Bama is THE dream destination of every coach.  They forget that the 25 years between Bear Bryant and Saban was filled with the likes of Mike Shula, Mike Price (kind of), Franchione, and Mike DuBose.

Right - and it was pretty funny when aggy hired Franchione away from Bama. “Better recruiter than Mack and better Gameday coach than Stoops.”  How did that work out for those fucking idiots?

36 minutes ago, Dnaguy said:

Saban retired bc it’s an end of an era in college football.

NIL + 12 team playoff means parity.

There is no way for him to sustain the success he’s built within those confines.

He coached as long as he could within the older paradigm of college football which is still light years different from where he started. At 70 or so he doesn’t have it in him to take on the change that is coming.

i respect that he can see that. There’s no wonder he’s the GOAT.

His Death Star can’t stay in orbit given the conditions.

It’s like that time when Nebraska lost their county scholarships

• Hook 'Em 5

5 minutes ago, Horn Dogg said:

It’s like that time when Nebraska lost their county scholarships

It is just so unfair that players can be paid legally, now. How dare they remove the advantage from Saban. 

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, horn4life said:

I really like Sark, but up to this point, nothing about his game day coaching is chasing off the GOAT.

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

5 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

It's Lanning.  Rumored to be in Tuscaloosa today.  If so, this was quick and smooth and seemingly has already been in the works to happen this fast

Feldman dances around the exact amount, but reading between the lines Texas A&M did due diligence on Lanning and found that he has a deal with Nike that rewards him with stock in the company if he remains the head coach at Oregon.

I initially dismissed a message board post from an On3 insider earlier this evening in which they claimed Lanning has $30 million worth of Nike stock coming his way if he remains at Oregon for the duration of his contract, which accumulates over time as he stays with the program and succeeds there.

The poster indicated that for Lanning to leave Alabama would have to be willing to not just pay his $20 million buyout to Oregon but also pay Lanning something commiserate with the $30 million in Nike Stock he has coming his way just by remaining at Oregon AND a salary above and beyond the $7 million he already makes at Oregon.

5 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Man that’s gonna be a tough gig. Anything short of winning it all every other year will get him in the hot seat. Good luck dude.

Agree and really is Alabama really "Alabama" without Saban? Is it still a premier job in the new world order of things? How invested can all their big money donors be after such a long run when all they had to do was pay up.  The next coach will be facing a group that will likely suffer from a "smartest person in the room" issue with plenty of in fighting of who knows best.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, GreenspointTexas said:

The “sark killed saban” posts are pathetic, jfc

I think it’s sarcasm mostly here. I think the idiot ou fans I see on social media are serious though, “he scared of ou gonna dominate sec sec sec …” Lol, morons.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Agree and really is Alabama really "Alabama" without Saban? Is it still a premier job in the new world order of things? How invested can all their big money donors be after such a long run when all they had to do was pay up.  The next coach will be facing a group that will likely suffer from a "smartest person in the room" issue with plenty of in fighting of who knows best.

This was my point as well.  Minus two exceptional coaching runs, AL isn't the end all, be all of destinations.  You still have to have your shit together to make it work.  Pressure is going to be weapons-grade 

With regards to Sark, I think we go through the stages, if you're young, you look for things like "wife/family love Austin too much, why would he leave" "great recruiting class, no way he leaves that" "we're Texas, well money whip the shit out of anyone"

When you get older it's simple"I have no Fucking clue, hope he stays " 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

They have the money.  Friend is a AL alum, he talks all the time about the BILLIONS Saban has brought to the school over the years in donations, etc.  Not saying that's all athletic money, but they can easily afford to buyout Lanning is they think he's their guy

39 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

The poster indicated that for Lanning to leave Alabama would have to be willing to not just pay his $20 million buyout to Oregon but also pay Lanning something commiserate with the $30 million in Nike Stock he has coming his way just by remaining at Oregon AND a salary above and beyond the $7 million he already makes at Oregon

Old Lady No GIF by BrownSugarApp

I would also like to commiserate with $30 million.

Edited by ryskey
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Why is Alabama such a highly sought-after job? Well, besides having a roster full of top talent, most of which will probably stay, it's a program where the school gives the head coach complete and total control. Nick Saban did anything and everything he wanted to do,with no interference.

Texas is not setup that way. It's a school with a lot of people who want to interfere.  This input is straight from the people inside Belmont. Texas is a great job, but you do have to deal with that issue. Sometimes that can be annoying.

Obviously, there are a ton of advantages to being at Texas over Bama that have already been listed in this thread.

• immamac changed the title to Nick Saban Retirement + Alabama Corch Search Megathread - Deals with Satan Do Expire