y'all remember Scott Peterson? Convicted of murdering wife Lacey Peterson

Gil Bang

MODESTO -- A decades-old murder case that started with a missing, pregnant young woman in Modesto and ended with bodies found in the San Francisco Bay now has a new twist. 

It's a push for freedom for Scott Peterson. The notorious convicted murderer is more than 20 years into serving a life sentence for killing his wife Laci Peterson and their unborn child in 2002. 

Peterson's case has been taken up by the LA Innocence Project (LAIP), a group that focuses on wrongful convictions. 

The LAIP has not revealed exactly what new evidence they have, but their court filings center around a burglary near the Peterson home at the time of Laci's disappearance on Christmas Eve. They also mention a related van fire, with the filings alleging blood evidence was collected from the van at the time. 

Paula Mitchell, LAIP director and attorney for Scott Peterson, filed court documents in San Mateo county court on Wednesday, Jan. 17 asking for old case evidence from the Stanislaus County District Attorney's Office to be turned over and for new DNA testing.

The end goal is a new trial for Scott Peterson on the "claim of actual innocence that is supported by newly discovered evidence," the documents read. 

"I have never, never looked back and had any doubt as to his guilt," Mike Belmessieri told CBS13. 

Belmessieri was one of the original jurors that convicted Scott Peterson after more than five long months of trial in 2004. He says he has remained confident every day since in their verdict.

"The only time I lost sleep over the Scott Peterson trial was during the trial. That was wanting to be sure I got everything right in what I heard," said Belmessieri. 

However, he says he is supportive if evidence exonerates Peterson.

"If there is new evidence and it sets him free, then that's the way it goes, the way the system works, right? We don't want to see someone wrongly convicted and sent to prison," said Belmessieri. 

This is not the convicted killer's first bid for freedom.

Scott Peterson tried unsuccessfully to get a new trial in 2022

"Because Peterson has already been denied a new trial, how does it move forward?" CBS13 reporter Ashley Sharp asked Sacramento defense attorney Mark Reichel. 

"If there is new evidence that would make it likely he could be acquitted, or not convicted again, there is a chance he could get a new trial," answered Reichel. 

He adds that in this case, new evidence can also be old evidence.

"That same evidence that was available wasn't used at the trial or was used in the wrong way. If you apply it this way, this way we think fits better now, it would result in a possible acquittal," said Reichel. 

It's a claim of innocence after more than 20 years locked up.

The question now: will the truth set Peterson free, or will his push fall flat?

Scott Peterson's former attorney Pat Harris told CBS13 in a statement, "We are very excited to have the incredibly talented attorneys from the LA Innocence Project lend their considerable expertise to helping prove Scott's innocence." 

Scott Peterson has maintained his innocence since day one. 

CBS13 asked the LA Innocence Project for an interview on their involvement in the case, they responded only with a statement reading, "The Los Angeles Innocence Project represents Scott Peterson and is investigating his claim of actual innocence. We have no further comment at this time." 

Did I miss it or is there any evidence of innocence? All I read was these people are looking into his case because he claims he's innocent and as of now there's no evidence to support it. 

Everyone in prison is innocent if you ask them. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, ClubWhatever said:

Innocent husbands who tell their girlfriends that they lost their wife always buy rope, duct tape, and cement, and go fishing, in the days before said wife goes missing before turning up dead in the body of water where said husband went fishing.

25aa7b88-c720-40bc-af2e-421e73e7e157_tex

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, Incredulity said:

That would be stunning and terrifying.  Everything presented in the media looked extremely incriminating.

If you can't believe Nancy Grace, who can you believe?

• Rage+1 1

9 hours ago, Hermanator said:

Did I miss it or is there any evidence of innocence? All I read was these people are looking into his case because he claims he's innocent and as of now there's no evidence to support it. 

Lawyers fucked 'em.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

The Innocence Project has turned into a joke.  They lost a lot of credibility with their ridiculous positions and fabricating perjury in the Rodney Reed case.

The LA Innocence Project are the ones who took Scott’s case. They are completely separate and unaffiliated with the well-known national Innocence Project organization.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, MrBig said:

The LA Innocence Project are the ones who took Scott’s case. They are completely separate and unaffiliated with the well-known national Innocence Project organization.

I hope so.  Because the lawyers who represent Reed should be disbarred for the fraud they are perpetrating on the public and the courts.

The IP has done some great things.  But what they have done in the Reed case is disgusting.

10 hours ago, Incredulity said:

That would be stunning and terrifying.  Everything presented in the media looked extremely incriminating.

When your a philandering ahole DB it's easy to get shit pinned on you.  It isn't right, but it's easy

10 hours ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Innocent husbands who tell their girlfriends that they lost their wife always buy rope, duct tape, and cement, and go fishing, in the days before said wife goes missing before turning up dead in the body of water where said husband went fishing.

Also this.

It's a terrible injustice if a person is wrongfully convicted.  One way to help avoid that is to not be like Scott Peterson.  

All that said, I hope he gets a chance to (re)defend himself.  DB aholes deserve the same justice as nice people.

11 hours ago, ClubWhatever said:

And that's why it's smart to keep rope, duct tape, and cement on hand.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Parliament said:

When your a philandering ahole DB it's easy to get shit pinned on you.  It isn't right, but it's easy

*yore

1 hour ago, RMac5 said:

Yeah to bad Scott wasn’t married to Nancy Grace.

*two

• Haha 3

42 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

And that's why it's smart to keep rope, duct tape, and cement on hand.

Also  $10K+ in cash, 4 phones, bunch of camping equipment, and hair die. You know... just in case. 

1 hour ago, Boss Hogg said:

Why has no one asked the expert if there’s something to this?

@Nicole44

His family has blown through their life savings tirelessly proclaiming his innocence.  His sister (half sister I think) broke with the family and believes he is a guilty af. His supporters point to his affair with Amber Frey and say that was the sole reason he was convicted (there were several pieces of evidence I remember as being important that led to his conviction including his own behavior after she went missing and after her and the baby’s corpse was found.) the defense and his family have maintained  there was or were eye witnesses who believe they saw her walking her dog that morning after Scott had left. That she must have been kidnapped by strangers. The defense has always thrown some spaghetti at the wall trying to tie her murder and paint it as an abduction by either a. cult group or she was kidnapped for her baby randomly or she was a victim of people who robbed the house across the street.

There was blood on the pillow case at their home. There were hair strands in the boat she’d never seen nor knew anything about of Lacy’s. he could not tell police where he was initially or what he was fishing for in the bay. No one in his family knew about the boat. He told his paramour that his wife had died. She was due to give birth to his son and he acted emotionless about it. He didn’t participate in any search. He lied to family and police. He died his hair red orange and tried to flea with money in his trunk after her remains were found. I know his parents facilitated that. There is a ton more evidence but I believe it’s the same as that damn podcast or Netflix series trying to unearth stuff—the people are all fucking guilty man. 

there is a ton more but I forget all the evidence. His parents have always said the affair didn’t mean he was a murderer and he was convicted because of the affair not based on actual evidence. That’s false. His parents cannot accept what happened. I think she found out. They got into a fight. He strangled her on the bed and cut his hand on her earring that night. Blood gets on bedding. Wraps her body up and dumps her corpse in the truck and gets boat that no one knew about from storage and a concrete anchor or two that he had made. Goes to bay and dumps her body weighted down by concrete weights he had made. Eventually decomposition and all cause body to rise to surface. It ejects the fetus which had been protected in the womb/body and because of very cold water and bodies wash up together with fetus not nearly as damaged as the mothers body—a vessel to protect it at that point. The defense pointed to the fact that the baby was in very good condition compared to Lacy that the baby was killed separately. Or dumped in the bay later. Or he was framed. 

I hope he does get the new trial and the prosecution streamlines their case to focus on evidence and hammer that. His parents are annoying af. Accept your son is a POS. They won’t. Typical fucking parents of a defendant. He’s dogshit. 

It’s a win win for the Innocence project though. They get more eyes on them. High profile case. Get more donations. I can’t fathom why they took on his case though. The eye witness account of her walking her dog and the robbery (of the across the street house which did occur) aren’t going to be enough to get him out. Fuck him. 

Edited by Nicole44
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

His family has blown through their life savings tirelessly proclaiming his innocence.  His sister (half sister I think) broke with the family and believes he is a guilty af. His supporters point to his affair with Amber Frey and say that was the sole reason he was convicted (there were several pieces of evidence I remember as being important that led to his conviction including his own behavior after she went missing and after her and the baby’s corpse was found.) the defense and his family have maintained  there was or were eye witnesses who believe they saw her walking her dog that morning after Scott had left. That she must have been kidnapped by strangers. The defense has always thrown some spaghetti at the wall trying to tie her murder and paint it as an abduction by either a. cult group or she was kidnapped for her baby randomly or she was a victim of people who robbed the house across the street.

There was blood on the pillow case at their home. There were hair strands in the boat she’d never seen nor knew anything about of Lacy’s. he could not tell police where he was initially or what he was fishing for in the bay. No one in his family knew about the boat. He told his paramour that his wife had died. She was due to give birth to his son and he acted emotionless about it. He didn’t participate in any search. He lied to family and police. He died his hair red orange and tried to flea with money in his trunk after her remains were found. I know his parents facilitated that. There is a ton more evidence but I believe it’s the same as that damn podcast or Netflix series trying to unearth stuff—the people are all fucking guilty man. 

there is a ton more but I forget all the evidence. His parents have always said the affair didn’t mean he was a murderer and he was convicted because of the affair not based on actual evidence. That’s false. His parents cannot accept what happened. I think she found out. They got into a fight. He strangled her on the bed and cut his hand on her earring that night. Blood gets on bedding. Wraps her body up and dumps her corpse in the truck and gets boat that no one knew about from storage and a concrete anchor or two that he had made. Goes to bay and dumps her body weighted down by concrete weights he had made. Eventually decomposition and all cause body to rise to surface. It ejects the fetus which had been protected in the womb/body and because of very cold water and bodies wash up together with fetus not nearly as damaged as the mothers body—a vessel to protect it at that point. The defense pointed to the fact that the baby was in very good condition compared to Lacy that the baby was killed separately. Or dumped in the bay later. Or he was framed. 

I hope he does get the new trial and the prosecution streamlines their case to focus on evidence and hammer that. His parents are annoying af. Accept your son is a POS. They won’t. Typical fucking parents of a defendant. He’s dogshit. 

It’s a win win for the Innocence project though. They get more eyes on them. High profile case. Get more donations. I can’t fathom why they took on his case though. The eye witness account of her walking her dog and the robbery (of the across the street house which did occur) aren’t going to be enough to get him out. Fuck him. 

Thanks! I figured you had the goods. Lock the thread!

• Hook 'Em 2

10 minutes ago, Boss Hogg said:

Thanks! I figured you had the goods. Lock the thread!

Thanks Boss! I try. I also forgot he tried to sell her car within days after she went missing and used the nursery for their first child as a storage room. There were all these wrapped presents for Christmas and I think he had thrown them in the nursery (that’s kind of understandable I guess—no indicator of guilt necessarily) but he’d thrown all these other things in the crib as well and when he did some interview people were agape (I was too) that the nursery just looked like a storage room. It wasn’t set up for the hopes his son would be coming back. I think he also tried to sell her jewelry but can’t remember if her wedding ring was left behind (like he’d removed it.) his parents tried to say she couldn’t wear it because she was so bloated from pregnancy. There is a lot more evidence but the prosecution largely hammered the Amber angle because his behavior made him so unlikeable they didn’t have to hammer on the forensics and his lies that made him look like shit. Hopefully, they will do that now. If there is a new trial. Hammer the forensics. Bring in Amber but mainly for the timeline of the affair and for his comment to her that he was unmarried and his wife had passed away. 

• Hook 'Em 1

This was one of the cases that made me lose faith in the US justice system. 

He was convicted because is was an unlikeable guy who was cheating on his pregnant wife. 

I followed the case closely at the time and felt like while he very well may have been guilty, the prosecution did NOT have enough evidence to convict him.

I no longer remember the details, but a quick goggle search seems to agree with my recollection that it was a completely circumstantial case. 

Also, this from a recent article about the new LAIP request:

The organization is also hoping to conduct new DNA testing on a blood-stained mattress found on Dec. 25, 2002, in a burned out orange van discovered near the home. The investigation will determine whether the item contained Laci's blood, which could be argued links her back to the burglars, the organization said.

Edited by 0xdeadbeef
loose or lose? I've heard it both ways

Not this shit again.  I remember the old thread about this on the scat site.  This guy is about as "innocent" as Rodney Reed or Avery or Adnan.  If you're concerned about wrongful/questionable murder convictions, may I suggest this one or this one.  

It is interesting to see more and more folks on these threads skeptical of innocence groups and/or advocacy journalists, which is both good and bad I guess. The old thread on Rodney Reed (on this site or the old one - can't remember) took a humorous turn over time.  It went from "fuck the police" to "yeah, this piece of shit is guilty as fuck" over the course of time/pages.    

• Rage+1 1

They have always tried to claim more evidence is forthcoming. Again, he lied about the boat. He couldn’t say what he was fishing for in the bay where his wife and son were found. There was blood evidence in the house. He told Amber his wife had died before she was missing. He had these concrete anchors he’d made. There were hairs of Lacy’s in some pliers found on the boat. He was at the bay that day and the waters were too choppy to actually fish. He had a parking stub from the bay. There is a lot more forensics but California is terrible at trying high profile cases.All they did was hammer the Amber angle. I get him having a ln affair and him lying about the affair. Most people who have affairs aren’t killers or commit murder. But the behavior of fleeing (or flea-ing—which is funnier) after the bodies were found and changing his appearance and $10000 in cash in the car and his lack of emotion about his unborn son were what clinched it for me. The husband or boyfriend or associates/family is always looked at first and until you can clear them you stay on them. Even with all the publicity he was still talking with Frey and trying to get with her I guess. Or kill her. Basically the defense is he’s a dumb fuck who had an affair and he’s not real bright but he didn’t do it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Deej said:

Cute white women get all the coverage. 

Yeah, I hate to sound like a douche but I always thought she was fine as hell. Why couldn't I have married her and ol' Scotty hitched up with my ex? Then we all would've won. Well, not all of us. But I would have.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

Haywood, what you in for? Didn’t do it, lawyer fucked me.

56 minutes ago, Sandman said:

Yeah, I hate to sound like a douche but I always thought she was fine as hell. Why couldn't I have married her and ol' Scotty hitched up with my ex? Then we all would've won. Well, not all of us. But I would have.

I just don’t get the Amber thing…she’s ok looking. But I guess beauty//sex and just are in the eye of the beholder. I think he just didn’t want to start a family and Laci did. It was hard for her to get pregnant and I think he just didn’t want that life with her. Highly doubt Amber was his first or only affair but if I compare the two ladies just on looks (the Amber one is fairly recent LinkedIn—she styles herself much better now.) to me there is no contest on looks. It’s Laci. By a mile. 

IMG_9166.jpeg

IMG_9165.jpeg

• Like 1