Post retirement gigs

Are You a good swimmer if so You can go to a Pool and go to the deep end and act like your drownding but when the Lifeguard swim's out to save You make it so He can not get you and then when He start's to drowned You can be like I'll save Him and then save Him and you can sue the Pool in Court for Mental Distress

Posting on surly is my post retirement gig.

Seriously, if you can leverage what you did full time into part time consulting adjacent to that role, that seems like the easiest step unless you hated what you did.

My two options are to consult part time or to try and teach engineering basics as an adjunct at community college.  Which is interesting but I have never taught formally, so maybe not.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

What are your plans to enjoy yourself?

I ask because that may be an opportunity to get some employee discounts going.

Home remodel kind of stuff? Home Depot or similar. 

Play a lot of golf? Sports store.

See where I’m going with this?

Best part, you can switch when you need to, based on what’s going on.

When all that has run its course, then hook up the walmart greeter. 

• Like 1
  • Drool 1

1 hour ago, thunderlounge said:

What are your plans to enjoy yourself?

I ask because that may be an opportunity to get some employee discounts going.

Home remodel kind of stuff? Home Depot or similar. 

Play a lot of golf? Sports store.

See where I’m going with this?

Best part, you can switch when you need to, based on what’s going on.

When all that has run its course, then hook up the walmart greeter. 

image.png.ae84df7cadeda3e2a7fa155080e34cbb.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Hefeweizen said:

Posting on surly is my post retirement gig.

Seriously, if you can leverage what you did full time into part time consulting adjacent to that role, that seems like the easiest step unless you hated what you did.

My two options are to consult part time or to try and teach engineering basics as an adjunct at community college.  Which is interesting but I have never taught formally, so maybe not.  

This is what my dad did and it worked great. He was a chemical engineer his whole career. The last five years he was working full-time he started conducting training for new engineers and really enjoyed it, but it was only about 20% of his job load. When he retired, he became a consultant and just did those trainings. Now he does it once or twice a month or whenever he feels like it. So he gets to do the enjoyable part of his job without all the other BS that goes with it.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 1/26/2024 at 1:12 PM, MNLonghornFUKM said:

School bus driver

Work probably 7-9, 2-430.

Weekends and mid days off. Need a CDL and some endorsements but most drivers these days are retirees

Plus summers off.

Plus, you get to deal with the modern world's entitled little shitheads on a daily basis.  Fuck that.

• Hook 'Em 2

LOLz.  there is ze-fucking-ro chance I could drive a school bus. Check that.   I would have a light route, because a shit-ton of the kids would be suspended from riding the bus.  I don't put up with the bullshit they think is OK.

Not going to be a substitute teacher either.

I'll volunteer my ass off with youth sports/ boys club/ scouts/ whatever, because the kids semi- want to be there.  In a public environment with shithead parents?  No fucking chance.

Restaurant and retail offer flexible schedules and often low-effort work, but the pay is often terrible.  I have been thinking about maybe working 20 hrs/week at the HEB across the street from my house.  Maybe the bakery or butcher shop.  But the thought of dealing with whiny housewives all day gives me hives.  If all I did was bake bread and shit without dealing with customers much, that might be cool.  Keep me active and learn a new skill.

Gig work offers the ultimate flexibility but the pay is terrible and you have to deal with people.

Part time consulting using your career experience would likely be the best money by far, and depending on your skills the flexibility might be there too, but if you’re retiring because you hate your job, doing it part time probably isn’t the answer.

If money is even in the top 3 reasons why you intend to work part time in retirement, you’re probably way better off just working full time a few more years until money is no longer a factor.  And at that point volunteering would probably be a better use of your time if you’re just looking to stay busy and socially engaged.

1 hour ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Work at Cinnabon. Buy a car wash.  Buy a commercial laundry service. Buy a chicken restaurant franchise. Something mundane.

50 minutes ago, Hefeweizen said:

Those sounds like terrible ideas to me.  All involve risk and hard work.  At that point you’re just changing one career for a new one.  And fuck all franchises in general.

4087104A-086F-469D-A9C3-18813103DD5D.gif.92cb168711486b6c602a46e947095921.gif

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Bevo said:

If the butler position didn't peak your fancy, I may have other jobs available. If you like hanging out by water or gardening, I can open up positions for pool boys and landscapers.

image.thumb.png.a1ab66648faa3809f58c431a4a398a63.png

2 hours ago, Snake Diggity said:

Restaurant and retail offer flexible schedules and often low-effort work, but the pay is often terrible.

If you're a host, maybe.  Or the self-check attendant in retail.  Otherwise, this assessment is way off.

Edited by slorch

25 minutes ago, slorch said:

If you're a host, maybe.  Or the self-check attendant in retail.  Otherwise, this assessment is way off.

I’ve had jobs at 5 different restaurants and 4 different retail businesses.  A lot of retail is standing around doing nothing.  Restaurant work is often hectic if you’re a server or bartender, but the kind of restaurant job a retiree would take would very likely be much slower paced.  Think server in a shopping center lunch spot or weekday bartender in a hotel bar.

23 hours ago, Snake Diggity said:

I’ve had jobs at 5 different restaurants and 4 different retail businesses.  A lot of retail is standing around doing nothing.  Restaurant work is often hectic if you’re a server or bartender, but the kind of restaurant job a retiree would take would very likely be much slower paced.  Think server in a shopping center lunch spot or weekday bartender in a hotel bar.

Does it pay to be a bar fly?

On 1/26/2024 at 8:27 PM, Exposition said:

Not sure why but I'd like to drive a hotel shuttle bus when I retire. Seems easy and fun, and you only need to memorize the airport terminals and the route to/from the hotel. And there's a good chance the passengers will tip if you're dealing with bags. 

In college I had a friend who drove a shuttle limo for a nice hotel in Austin (don't really remember which one). 

Whenever he had the chance, and his and my schedule worked out, he'd swing by my house and take me to campus. The cops at the traffic stops would let us right on through. He'd drop me right in front of Welch or wherever. The looks I would get getting out of the car. 

Probably only happened four or five times, but it was fun. 

On 1/27/2024 at 8:13 PM, slorch said:

LOLz.  there is ze-fucking-ro chance I could drive a school bus. Check that.   I would have a light route, because a shit-ton of the kids would be suspended from riding the bus.  I don't put up with the bullshit they think is OK.

Not going to be a substitute teacher either.

I'll volunteer my ass off with youth sports/ boys club/ scouts/ whatever, because the kids semi- want to be there.  In a public environment with shithead parents?  No fucking chance.

My daughter (8th grade) rides the bus home maybe once a week or so. Normally she has afterschool stuff. 

But, all the buses, in addition to a driver, have a teacher or other district employee on the bus who is responsible for all the bullshit, plus making sure the kids get off at the right stop. So, it sounds like the driver doesn't have to deal with any of that. 

Plus, she says this bus monitor is a grade A, hardcore bitch. Every time she rides the bus, she gets off complaining about how mean the bus monitor is. I just shrug and say "good. That's why she's the bus monitor."  

Back to the OP, bus drivers also drive the athletes or other school groups to away games and events. They get mileage while driving and min wage for down time (sitting around during the game or whatever). 

• Like 1

That isn't how it is everywhere.  Not by a long shot.  Many school districts are struggling just to fully staff their drivers, much less having a co-pilot on the bus.

I'm not retired, but long ago I was a volunteer DJ at the local NPR station. Then one day, a friend who is a teacher called me up and said the district needed a stadium PA announcer for home football games, and suggested I would have a good voice for it. 

So, I talked to the AD, and got hired on the spot. That led to working the game clock at basketball games and other crap like that. 

The pay ain't great, something like 25 bucks a game for middle school games, 35 for JV games, 50 for varsity, but being the PA announcer at home football games in a small Texas town is fun. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, slorch said:

That isn't how it is everywhere.  Not by a long shot.  Many school districts are struggling just to fully staff their drivers, much less having a co-pilot on the bus.

Oh, they need drivers. Badly. 

But with all the school shootings and everything else fucked up about today's society, I bet its probably becoming more common. 

Not a job, but I'd consider taking some community college classes. Things like wood working, cabinet making, welding, auto repair, foreign languages, etc. 

I took an ACC woodworking class many years ago for the heck of it and really enjoyed it. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1

On 1/31/2024 at 8:27 PM, Covri said:

Day trader.

LOL - yeah that is easy money, hardly any risk. The real money is getting people to subscribe to your trade recommendations - get a few hundred giving you that sweet $9.95/month is easy money.
All you really have to do is find someone who is wrong 67-75% of the time, then sell the opposite of his trades to your subscribers. 
This works about 60% of the time all the time. 

On 1/31/2024 at 4:08 PM, slorch said:

Teachers, drivers, cafeteria workers, etc.  They are struggling to staff damn near every position - except administrators.

On 1/29/2024 at 11:53 AM, SimonBolivar said:

I have my MA in history and would like to teach a class or two at a community college if profs haven't been replaced by AI by then. 

If you're near a regular college, Juco classes are mostly kids from that college having little shit-fits if you're harder than the prof at the regular college who already failed them. Some of them are pretty cool though, once you break them. Also, familiarize yourself with every form of cheating and always assume they are doing it anyway.

If you're out in the boonies, you may actually be helping somebody who appreciates it.

Fair amount of tps forms but if you were already in academia, not excessive.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

I love to travel and love planning travel. Thinking about becoming a certified travel coach. You don't book anything. Judi help plan trips for others, and get paid for it. 

I’ve thought about the same thing from time to time. Doing the homework is half the fun, and I can make some nice finds with enough time in advance to look.

• Hook 'Em 1

15 hours ago, Mo Horn said:

I love to travel and love planning travel. Thinking about becoming a certified travel coach. You don't book anything. Just help plan trips for others, and get paid for it. 

for people too stupid to use the internet?  Sounds fun.

Your market will never likely dry up though.

Edited by slorch

On 2/9/2024 at 8:55 PM, Mo Horn said:

I love to travel and love planning travel. Thinking about becoming a certified travel coach. You don't book anything. Just help plan trips for others, and get paid for it. 

On 2/9/2024 at 9:01 PM, thunderlounge said:

I’ve thought about the same thing from time to time. Doing the homework is half the fun, and I can make some nice finds with enough time in advance to look.

20 hours ago, luke duke said:

There’s a bunch of dumb/lazy people with a bunch of money.

Expanding on this; we've been to Disneyworld 3 times in the past 8 years or so.  If anyone has gone, you know what an ordeal it is planning a trip there.  My wife, who's an excellent organizer just casually mentioned how there's a burgeoning service industry just around planning trips for others to Disneyworld.  I was floored when she told me people would pay $1000 or more just to have someone plan a trip for you.  The kicker?  Disney offers this service as well, for free---yet people line up to hand over cash to have a friendly face down the street to do it.  

She's been approached by others to help them plan their family trip, and offered cash---she's not taken anyone up on it yet, but I told her this might be a fun side gig for her.  She has kicked it around, but says Disney planning is a lot of work, and not sure she wants to spend her idle time doing this.  

• Hook 'Em 3

I've always thought it would be interesting to be a personal finance advisor for people that need helping budgeting or planning for the future. And I don't mean someone who calls themselves an advisor but is looking to manage your money or sell you insurance products. I mean rather someone who directs the client how to organize their budget, accounts, money, etc.  Relatively small hourly rate just so the person isn't taking advantage of you.

• Hook 'Em 1