Elon Musk: Officially a fraud and piece of shit. Official or unofficial war criminal?

MaybeACoordinator

2 hours ago, Sawbonz said:

Having a limitless bankroll relative to the table is not a strategy 

And picking up and leaving like that would have gotten him shot or beaten within an inch of his life at most high stakes house games not too many years ago. 

Those other high stakes games aren't full of a bunch of dorks that would voluntarily hang around rocketboi.

• Hook 'Em 1

https://bsky.app/profile/niedermeyer.io/post/3kps72zw3j52i

Turns out that maybe Elon Musk is a liar and SpaceX is a lot farther from profitability than he has tried to suggest.

Who could have guessed?

"All the major airlines have spurned [Starlink] in favor of sticking with established Wi-Fi providers... Analysts say SpaceX doesn’t provide the long-term contracts and exclusivity that corporate clients often want... For Delta, the memory of a failed 2022 demonstration still hasn’t faded"

LMAO

"SpaceX has met or exceeded revenue projections over the past three years, other people familiar with the company’s balance sheet say"

What a weird claim to include in this story, given that we know Starlink is extremely not living up to revenue projections ($1.4b in '22, instead of $12b projected)

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

2 hours ago, chainsaw said:

https://bsky.app/profile/niedermeyer.io/post/3kps72zw3j52i

All the major airlines have spurned [Starlink] in favor of sticking with established Wi-Fi providers... Analysts say SpaceX doesn’t provide the long-term contracts and exclusivity that corporate clients often want... For Delta, the memory of a failed 2022 demonstration still hasn’t faded"

Man, that Delta story ... wow.

Delta executives were eager to test Starlink internet but as its jetliner flew upwards of 30,000 feet over Chicago, the plane wasn’t connecting to the service. As a quick fix, SpaceX turned off internet for some paying customers in the city below, these people said. The move got Wi-Fi working in the plane’s cabin but it wasn’t enough to win a Delta contract, the people said. Delta, American and United declined to comment.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 6

Any news around SpaceX failing to deliver really makes me anxious about the Artemis program. Each Artemis moon landing is going to require upwards of a dozen Starship launches and orbital refuelings just to have the ΔV to hit their planned Lunar orbit. 

• Hook 'Em 1

59 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Any news around SpaceX failing to deliver really makes me anxious about the Artemis program. Each Artemis moon landing is going to require upwards of a dozen Starship launches and orbital refuelings just to have the ΔV to hit their planned Lunar orbit. 

I would argue that Space X rocket performance and the Starlink delivering are very different things.

Starlink is simply just satellite internet company. And their issues are purely financial, because "shocker" launching satellites is not cheap, which is coming off their bottom line. I think they are very much overestimating adoption of their service, but once the satellites are launched, that is mostly going to be a profit only company. 

Space X's rocket performance is pretty damn good at this point. Falcon is a rock solid platform that seems to deliver time after time. It alone has put the US back on the map for space flight.

Starship, regardless of what you think of 

Starship_Explosion_Video_Watch_Elon_Musks_Rocket_Explode_Aft.gif.ad5b86db8161ac750b618d2d19fdaf0f.gif

Is well along and on its way to being a viable launch vehicle. I think they are going to have the kinks in Super Heavy just about worked out quite soon. And while Starship might be a little bit more time, it's likely not far behind.

My guess is that when you take Starlink and SpaceX as a whole, they are doing ok.

But in some ways, this goes back to the all in poker story. Elon does have a different view on risk, because of his wealth, he can just throw money at a problem to solve it. And his companies have this benefit. So losses now, they should be fine, unless he gets bored.

But in the same way, that Delta Starlink test demonstrates his view of risk too - turn everyone's internet in a city off? BFD, just do it. Because he doesn't get the risk that a move like that can have.

Edited by Captain Ron

1 minute ago, Captain Ron said:

Is well along and on its way to being a viable launch vehicle. I think they are going to have the kinks in Super Heavy just about worked out quite soon. And while Starship might be a little bit more time, it's likely not far behind.

Well and also that it will take at least DOZEN STARSHIP LAUNCHES AND ORBITAL REFUELINGS for each Artemis trip to the moon. NASA hadn't even thought about that aspect of the mission design until a guest speaker asked the question at a lecture. Starship hasn't even reached orbit, much less validated an orbital refueling procedure between two orbiting starships. And then they need at least a dozen of them to go flawlessly for a successful launch.

It reeks of the same slapdash design ethos that the rest of musk's projects have begun to exhibit. Amazingly groundbreaking promises that are astoundingly under delivered 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Captainant said:

Well and also that it will take at least DOZEN STARSHIP LAUNCHES AND ORBITAL REFUELINGS for each Artemis trip to the moon. NASA hadn't even thought about that aspect of the mission design until a guest speaker asked the question at a lecture. Starship hasn't even reached orbit, much less validated an orbital refueling procedure between two orbiting starships. And then they need at least a dozen of them to go flawlessly for a successful launch.

It reeks of the same slapdash design ethos that the rest of musk's projects have begun to exhibit. Amazingly groundbreaking promises that are astoundingly under delivered 

It's been talked about before in this thread - but Musk isn't as hands on at SpaceX as he is at other places. Gwynne Shotwell is really the leader of SpaceX. Sure he gets in there, but she seems to really clean up his messes. If there is one thing SpaceX isn't is slapdash.

And again, even the rockets going boom isn't as big/worrysome as it might seem - SpaceX is much more public facing than NASA & partners ever was. They had shit buttoned up a lot more before they ever put a public face on their rockets, that isn't Musk's thing.

And therein is the issue with Musk as a whole for all of his companies, just what you say - he over promises, and under delivers. The guy can't fucking shut the fuck up abut this shit. Back in 2021 he said landing on the moon in 2024 was doable, if not sooner. I can't find the article right now, but there was the interview where he said (2020 I believe) that Space X might just go to the moon in 2 years and stop waiting for NASA to get out of the way. He talks and talks and talks, riles up the masses, but fails to deliver.

SpaceX has advanced a lot, despite what Musk has said. I think one reason why people point and laugh when their ships explode is that we have been sold the idea that these should be 100 successes right out of the box (by Musk) instead of the reality that these are still major works in progress. Are they behind schedule for Artemis? Yes, reports by the Government Accountability Office have said as much. But they aren't the only ones in this.

1 hour ago, 4th&Five said:

Driving to work today I saw a bright orange cybertruck and chuckled a little harder than I usually do because it was even uglier. Then I saw this shit on the side and lost it. WTF are they trying to do?

IMG_5762.thumb.jpeg.63d34b6f48754445c01a04500a772dd7.jpeg

CYDERTRRVKK brah 

3 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

But in some ways, this goes back to the all in poker story. Elon does have a different view on risk, because of his wealth, he can just throw money at a problem to solve it. And his companies have this benefit. So losses now, they should be fine, unless he gets bored.

imagine what +$44b would have done for SpaceX at this point in time.

instead he lit it on fire and somehow found a worse investment than drafting off the betting that Ippei was doing that also makes him look like a dumbass

5 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

Driving to work today I saw a bright orange cybertruck and chuckled a little harder than I usually do because it was even uglier. Then I saw this shit on the side and lost it. WTF are they trying to do?

Saw one around lunchtime at the Rudy’s on North Lamar, and they had two paddle boards in the back, sticking out 3-4 feet.  They started to park up against Rudy’s but somebody pointed out that their boards will get smashed by other vehicles driving through the parking lot.  So they back into a spot up against the sidewalk with the boards blocking the sidewalk, like complete douchebags.

You don’t realize how small the “bed” is until you see something like that. I’m actually surprised they didn’t lose the boards, as much as they were sticking out.

• Rage+1 1

6 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

Incel graffiti. Created by Spanksy. 

• Haha 2

They’ve got the  Gig ‘‘‘em thing down pat.

meanwhile…ignore the clickbait title,  because she chose not to leave the car for fear of damaging it, and just check out the software update stuff.  A wonderful process.

https://jalopnik.com/a-tiktoker-got-trapped-inside-her-115-degree-tesla-mode-1851404777?_ga=2.108719365.682162376.1712616571-1551220191.1712616571

Tesla Model 3 Traps TikToker Inside 115-Degree Car During A Software Update

According to the Tesla owner’s manual, “Vehicle functions, including some safety systems and opening or closing the doors or windows, may be limited or disabled when installation is in progress and you could damage the vehicle.” Janel chose to heed Tesla’s warning and did not attempt to open her doors or windows during the installation process for fear of damaging her vehicle, but this seems like a very dangerous oversight on Tesla’s part that she was able to be stuck inside at all.

The door mechanisms on the Tesla Model 3 and Model Y are electrically operated, and under normal circumstances are opened from the inside using a simple button to unlatch the door. Should the vehicle have no power, these models do have auxiliary manual cable release levers also found on the door panel, but Tesla warns against using the manual mechanism, citing that it should only be used when the car has no power. Janel said she was aware of this option but didn’t want to risk damaging her car, and she felt confident that she could stick out the heat.

In contrast to Tesla’s potentially dangerous warnings, Lucid Motors requires all occupants to exit the vehicle before the installation process begins, and the Lucid Air owners manual states that owners will not be able to lock or unlock the doors during an update. The Air will start a two-minute countdown when an owner chooses to install an update, giving them enough time to get out prior to the update beginning.

The Tesla owners manual states that the car will not initiate a software update if Keep Climate mode, Dog Mode, Sentry Mode or Camp Mode are engaged, but it fails to require vehicle occupants to exit the vehicle before the debilitating installation process begins. Tesla also recommends owners install software updates as soon as possible, which could cause some owners to feel obligated to initiate an update in a compromised environment.

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Humanity is in a phase of elevating the most ridiculous fucking people, and I just don’t get it.

Not gonna lie, before reading the caption I thought it was Elon and one of the flying elvises. 

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Saw one around lunchtime at the Rudy’s on North Lamar, and they had two paddle boards in the back, sticking out 3-4 feet.  They started to park up against Rudy’s but somebody pointed out that their boards will get smashed by other vehicles driving through the parking lot.  So they back into a spot up against the sidewalk with the boards blocking the sidewalk, like complete douchebags.

You don’t realize how small the “bed” is until you see something like that. I’m actually surprised they didn’t lose the boards, as much as they were sticking out.

Doesn’t it open up like a Chevrolet Avalanche, or did they scrap that design at some point?

7 hours ago, gsoda3 said:

i saw it too.  in my neighbor's driveway.

image.png.b8b1aadcd25e44800a39fa022880bb4c.png

"Be A Steamed" what? Ham? Hotdog bun? Post-shower bathroom mirror? 

When you're done insulting your neighbor for all of the obvious reasons, make sure you undermine the legibility of the license plate just to take him down another notch or two. 

• Hook 'Em 1

"Be A Steamed" what? Ham? Hotdog bun? Post-shower bathroom mirror? 
When you're done insulting your neighbor for all of the obvious reasons, make sure you undermine the legibility of the license plate just to take him down another notch or two. 

Maybe it’s “be ass to my d” - Didja think of that, smart guy?
  • Prepare your anus 1

3 hours ago, Covri said:

Pretty sure it’s B3ESTMD “beastmode” and I thought it was in this thread already before the orange wrap was added, but haven’t found it. Still ugly.

Sonny, beast mode is the greatest thing in the world, except for a nice MLT — mutton, lettuce and tomato sandwich, when the mutton is nice and lean, and the tomato is ripe. They’re so perky. I love that. But that’s not what he said — he distinctly said “beastiality minded,” and as we all know, “bestiality minded” means to rape animals, heh? So you were probably playing cards, and he aggyed–

• Haha 5

10 hours ago, Covri said:

Pretty sure it’s B3ESTMD “beastmode” and I thought it was in this thread already before the orange wrap was added, but haven’t found it. Still ugly.

Marshawn would kick the shit outta that thing.

• Haha 1

On 4/12/2024 at 10:29 AM, 4th&Five said:

image.png.2f9b8f02295cba0f1ac13720cdcbd9db.png

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

27 minutes ago, Blotto said:

image.png.2f9b8f02295cba0f1ac13720cdcbd9db.png

Back in the 90's I met a chick online. We scheduled a time to meet and when she drove up and got out, I drove off.

Later she messaged me on ICQ asking why I suddenly left. My reply "you have a Mossimo sticker on the back of your back car."

Truthfully, she was chunkier than expected and had a Mossimo sticker which pushed her over the edge.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4