Elon Musk: Officially a fraud and piece of shit. Official or unofficial war criminal?

MaybeACoordinator

4 minutes ago, WBT said:

I finally figured out how to turn it off and go to dumb cruise on my new 4Runner.  Gotdamn cars need to do what they're told.

Back in 2021, we took a 3 week road trip to the Pacific NW.  Rented a small SUV from Avis, and they gave me a Hyundai Santa Fe.  Aside:  I hammered the shit out of the thing over the 3 weeks/5200 miles and it averaged 31 to a gallon.  

We left the house on a Sunday morning, and within 20 miles, I was so annoyed that I pulled over and figured out how to turn off the lane assist, adaptive cruse, driver "alert" settings (it suggested I pull over and rest after 10 miles for coffee) and other stuff.  Gradually, as the trip progressed, I'd add back one feature at a time.  By the end of the trip, I I had an appreciation for most everything the vehicle was wanting to do.  

• Hook 'Em 2

26 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Back in 2021, we took a 3 week road trip to the Pacific NW.  Rented a small SUV from Avis, and they gave me a Hyundai Santa Fe.  Aside:  I hammered the shit out of the thing over the 3 weeks/5200 miles and it averaged 31 to a gallon.  

We left the house on a Sunday morning, and within 20 miles, I was so annoyed that I pulled over and figured out how to turn off the lane assist, adaptive cruse, driver "alert" settings (it suggested I pull over and rest after 10 miles for coffee) and other stuff.  Gradually, as the trip progressed, I'd add back one feature at a time.  By the end of the trip, I I had an appreciation for most everything the vehicle was wanting to do.  

Swap “Miami airport” and “Key West” and that’s me. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I don't even know where cruise control is in any of my cars. Probably used it for less than 20 miles in my entire life. 

You uninvolved slugs can keep it, but using it doesn't exempt you from getting the fuck over when a faster car catches up to you. You shouldn't be cruising in the left lane anyway. 

#TeamHank

• Hook 'Em 4

44 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Investor Relations.

I get that. The comment was “I can’t imagine a much worse job than IR Chief at Tesla for the last 2 years,” and my poor attempt at humor was to suggest that IR chief at Twitter would be worse since, as a privately held company where Musk is the main owner, your job would be trying to keep him happy. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

I thought Musk was ditching the cheaper Tesla?

https://www.cnn.com/2024/04/23/business/tesla-report-earnings-result/index.html

Tesla reported its first quarter adjusted earnings plunged 48%, falling short of lowered Wall Street forecasts, but it assured investors that it plans to move ahead with a cheaper model due out next year. The company reported a 9% drop in total revenue, which also missed analyst estimates. And its profit margin declined by 2 percentage points.

But Tesla heartened some investors by announcing it plans to move ahead with a lower priced model, which it said will go into production in the second half of 2025.

When they say second half of 2025, they mean 2027.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Mach 1 said:

Tesla Y owner here.  I don't use basic cruise control on it because it doesn't fucking work.

I drive alot between LA and Phoenix. Straight shot, nothing difficult.  Every time I try to use it out of the blue, going 80MPH, nothing but clear sailing, IT FUCKING SUDDENLY BRAKES, slowing the car from 80 to 40 in a couple of seconds.  As if there is some obstacle that isn't actually there.  So dangerous and disturbing I don't even use it.

I bought it 2-3 years ago for work since I put on so many miles, and before Elmo ramped us his moronic shit.  And honestly I still like it as a dily driver.  It's strangely relaxing for that, even though I still prefer CEVs.

That said, I cackle at anyone that thinks FSD will ever actually work.  That fuckstick's company can't even engineer a car with cruise control that worked for Cutlass Supremes 20-30 years ago.  

The slam-on-the-brakes-for-no-reason thing happens almost every time at the same exit (I'm not exiting) when using ACC in my semi. 

Until Full Self Driving can be a thing where there are no controls for any occupant in the vehicle, it's not Full Self Driving. It's a computer, famous for never malfunctioning, designed by people famous for never being idiots, that will randomly take control of the vehicle you're supposed to be operating. 

• Hook 'Em 3

6 hours ago, Mach 1 said:

cruise control that worked for Cutlass Supremes 20-30 years ago

Well that was a braided steel cable, similar to what used to connect the accelerator to the carburetor. 

and I wasn’t positive olds made a cutlass in your stated time window so I checked and you are good- stopped in 1997. 

5 hours ago, Bullneck said:

Swap “Miami airport” and “Key West” and that’s me. 

4,996 in about 3 weeks in a brand new Jetta from Enterprise. Was taking my daughter to visit universities on the East Coast. Suit cases in the back seat, camping gear in the trunk. As I am about the leave the clerk says "treat her well, she is brand new to us." "Sir, " I replied, "I am going to beat the shit out of this car."

Loved driving that car for sure, no wrecks, but damn it stunk like snack food and feet when we dropped it off.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Guadaloopy said:

re: second quoted post - Tesla is leapfrogging Level 3 with FSD and aiming towards Level 4 certification. 

not to be this guy but there are a LOT of people in the industry who say FSD will never get SAE Level 4 Certification, much less Level 5 with their current technological setup on the car.

these are not folks with axes to grind, they are tech folks.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

4,996 in about 3 weeks in a brand new Jetta from Enterprise. Was taking my daughter to visit universities on the East Coast. Suit cases in the back seat, camping gear in the trunk. As I am about the leave the clerk says "treat her well, she is brand new to us." "Sir, " I replied, "I am going to beat the shit out of this car."

Loved driving that car for sure, no wrecks, but damn it stunk like snack food and feet when we dropped it off.

A phrase I heard long back: "What 2 things can drive anywhere?  An M1 Abrams and a rental car."

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

I have no doubt that Elmo believes this, and if it was true, he probably wouldn’t realize his role in it.

GL1KJjyXkAAE5NU?format=jpg&name=900x900

if Elon even kind of believed any of this he would be pouring every cent he owns into SpaceX to ensure we become that multi planet species he talked about a long time ago...but instead he's out here shitposting on Twitter

Edited by NoName
  • Hook 'Em 2

On 4/22/2024 at 5:43 PM, BeardIP said:

Up until like 2022 it wasn't considered unethical for a Democrat to buy a Tesla. In fact they probably proudly did so until Elon went publicly off the reservation. Now, I wonder which brand/car will fill the Tesla void for those who despise Elon Musk and all he stands for.

I drive a Vulva.

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, choripan said:

This. My wife is [redacted] at [redacted], one of the leading thinktank/policy-type journals on AVs. She is also [redacted] at [redacted], one of the handful of leading test sites/fake "cities" where AVs are tested. She is an academic and not affiliated with any brand, like Tesla, MB, Ford, GM/Cruise, Google/Waymo, etc.

At least in the US, it is Google/Waymo <gap> GM/Cruise <large gap> Ford and Tesla.

The way I hear it talked about at dinner parties, mixers, etc., Tesla is not a serious contender to reach level 4, let alone level 5, and there are serious doubts that it can ever be level 3 with a camera only approach.

Yeah, but has she talked to this fanboy about his experience and how great he thinks it is? No? Didn’t think so…

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, choripan said:

This. My wife is [redacted] at [redacted], one of the leading thinktank/policy-type journals on AVs. She is also [redacted] at [redacted], one of the handful of leading test sites/fake "cities" where AVs are tested. She is an academic and not affiliated with any brand, like Tesla, MB, Ford, GM/Cruise, Google/Waymo, etc.

At least in the US, it is Google/Waymo <gap> GM/Cruise <large gap> Ford and Tesla.

The way I hear it talked about at dinner parties, mixers, etc., Tesla is not a serious contender to reach level 4, let alone level 5, and there are serious doubts that it can ever be level 3 with a camera only approach.

yuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuup

the camera only decision was one that set them on an alternative track that is absolutely not going to be successful without tremendous changes and laser focus on solving the existing issues it has. instead of doing that, over the last 2 years Elon has become Chief Twit and spent a fortune on Twitter.

i've talked about it a bunch here w/r/t Twitter and the impact his money could have had on his other businesses i think he had bank money for about 1/3d of the $44B and the other 2/3rds was from his end? \

so specifically imagine what an extra ~ $30B into Starlink would have made a huge impact - but imagine what an extra ~ $30B would have done for something like FSD. hell, imagine what an extra $1B would have done.

for a guy who says he cares about the environment, safety and becoming a multi planetary species he sure spends his money on things that do nothing towards any of that.

---

the whole "in talks with a company about licensing FSD" is a joke. this should have been the goal from day 1, but they FA and now are FO

here's the top selling brands in the US (2023):

image.png.47790ce3d297a840f93291f84459df35.png

idk how many of those companies would be willing to touch FSD with a 10' pole today. especially with the fact Waymo is already out there with robotaxis in some markets and have a pretty nifty lead in the market.

we know Ford and GM are working on their own versions of the concept. there is 0 chance Toyota touches it, plus they have their own thing in the works. can't imagine Honda does either, and are working on their own Level 3 stuff. Stellantis/Chrysler has a deal with Waymo for commercial self driving so that takes out Jeep, Ram, Dodge, etc. Volvo has Polestar.

don't imagine the German companies want to touch it Tesla. BMW and MB are working on their own Level 3 stuff.

Hyundai/Kia maybe? quick look says they delayed their plans for level 3

Subaru has their own stuff they are working on, but it's more of a lane assist thing vs self driving.

Mazda maybe? they have something they are doing but i think it's more lane assist

why "settle" for TSLA and their all in move on vision if your goal is to limit downside (GO WITH EVERY SENSOR YOU CAN) and pick something stable which won't also torpedo your brand (which is not Tesla.) going all camera was a monumental mistake that screams it was made at the top and not made by the people who actually work with this technology. wonder how many high level staff they lost due to that decision.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, choripan said:

VW and Mercedes not being mentioned by convenience of US based is nice. They are doing really really good work. 

4 minutes ago, NoName said:

idk how many of those companies would be willing to touch FSD with a 10' pole today. especially with the fact Waymo is already out there with robotaxis in some markets and have a pretty nifty lead in the market

Drive between Houston and Dallas on 45 any given day and theres a good chance you'll see one of their self driving semi's that's covered in cameras and spinning lidar lenses. I feel like I've been seeing them since 2022

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, immamac said:

VW and Mercedes not being mentioned by convenience of US based is nice. They are doing really really good work. 

I agree completely. MB getting level 3 actually on the streets and available to consumers for personal vehicles (contrasted with robo-taxis) is great work.

I limited the scope to US because it's not something I feel confident enough to speak on with authority. My understanding is that MB would be with or a tiny gap behind GM/Cruise, but I don't want to get "gotcha'd" down thread if I'm off because I overstepped my knowledge on it.

On 4/22/2024 at 6:43 PM, BeardIP said:

Up until like 2022 it wasn't considered unethical for a Democrat to buy a Tesla. In fact they probably proudly did so until Elon went publicly off the reservation. Now, I wonder which brand/car will fill the Tesla void for those who despise Elon Musk and all he stands for.

It doesn't have the cachet of Tesla or other EVs, but it's more sustainable.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

37 minutes ago, choripan said:

Pics [redacted].

• Haha 5

14 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

...and I'm sure the response is overwhelmingly positive and, unlike the cybertruck, enthusiastic about being washed.

Honestly, I'm still trying to figure out how to open the door and turn it on.

• Haha 9

3 minutes ago, Goredho said:

Honestly, I'm still trying to figure out how to open the door and turn it on.

Use the handle button to unlock it. I can't otherwise help you with turning it on. I'm not familiar with your model.

Guys, he's going to revolutionize cloud computing with his intardnet of shitty things.  What could possibly go wrong with the world's first completely decentralized and fully mobile data center?

https://www.theverge.com/24139142/elon-musk-tesla-aws-distributed-compute-network-ai

Elon Musk wants to turn Tesla’s fleet into AWS for AI — would it work?

Musk, who loves to riff on earnings calls, compared the unused compute power of millions of idle Tesla vehicles to Amazon’s cloud service business. If they’re just sitting there, he mused, why not put them to good use to run AI models? (Also, have you ever really looked at your hands? No, I mean really looked?)

“There’s a potential... when the car is not moving to actually run distributed inference,” Musk said. “If you imagine the future perhaps where there’s a fleet of 100 million Teslas and on average, they’ve got like maybe a kilowatt of inference compute. That’s 100 gigawatts of inference compute, distributed all around the world.”

So, to summarize, you buy a Tesla. It’s your property. But Musk wants to freely use the unused compute power in your vehicle for... something? Possibly AI-related? Hopefully not the blockchain. (Tesla is an AI company now, by the way. Musk said so himself during the call.)

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Goredho said:

Guys, he's going to revolutionize cloud computing with his intardnet of shitty things.  What could possibly go wrong with the world's first completely decentralized and fully mobile data center?

https://www.theverge.com/24139142/elon-musk-tesla-aws-distributed-compute-network-ai

Musk, who loves to riff on earnings calls, compared the unused compute power of millions of idle Tesla vehicles to Amazon’s cloud service business. If they’re just sitting there, he mused, why not put them to good use to run AI models? (Also, have you ever really looked at your hands? No, I mean really looked?)

“There’s a potential... when the car is not moving to actually run distributed inference,” Musk said. “If you imagine the future perhaps where there’s a fleet of 100 million Teslas and on average, they’ve got like maybe a kilowatt of inference compute. That’s 100 gigawatts of inference compute, distributed all around the world.”

So, to summarize, you buy a Tesla. It’s your property. But Musk wants to freely use the unused compute power in your vehicle for... something? Possibly AI-related? Hopefully not the blockchain. (Tesla is an AI company now, by the way. Musk said so himself during the call.)

I honestly can't believe this guy is on an earnings call citing plot points from fucking Silicon Valley. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 5
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, Upgrayedd said:

Saw my first one in the wild yesterday.  Del Mar.

IMG_0334.thumb.jpeg.0b21969e46135dd90f6fd3eaebe2433b.jpeg

One of the reasons these chucklefucks bought the damn thing is it was made of stainless; it looked cool and shit.  Like nothing else on the road!

Then some of them promptly decide to cover the thing in a giant sticker.

26 minutes ago, Goredho said:

I’m still trying to figure out what Musk is claiming here. Maybe it makes sense to CS/CE types. But it seems like he’s muddling power and computational capacity. In other words, that’s just fancy technobabble to say “Our cars have a battery and a computer and we can use those when they’re not being driven.”

15 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

Musk will say anything to pump the stock. 

This. Earnings were shit for the 3rd straight quarter, so what does he do? Promises the moon.

image.thumb.png.7c9550897d73f2f6fcd6048e17578f47.png

And some fools eat it up, so we see a 10% bump today on ... nothing.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2
  • Rage+1 1

45 minutes ago, Goredho said:

16 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

I’m still trying to figure out what Musk is claiming here. Maybe it makes sense to CS/CE types. But it seems like he’s muddling power and computational capacity. In other words, that’s just fancy technobabble to say “Our cars have a battery and a computer and we can use those when they’re not being driven.”

Yeah this reads as technobabble hoping to trick investors into jumping onto a thing that's just an idea. Edge compute is nothing new. Your cell phone or laptop is gonna be significantly more capable in general compute tasks than your car. 

But yes, Tesla's have a big ass battery integrated into their chassis. You could use that to power compute infrastructure. But that's not some groundbreaking innovation 

• Hook 'Em 3

it also takes it a step further from... you can purchase a Tesla and own the car, and it has capabilities that you cannot access without paying to have them unlocked (like range). I know that that was a story a few years back and I assume it's the case now. You can own the car without being able to use the whole car because features are software locked. But this idea is that you can own the car but Tesla could just reach in and take your spare cycles to what, create the worlds most powerful racist AI using a mobile cloud of other people's vehicles? FSD crashed your Tesla into a building because Grok was thinking really hard about a new slur?

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, BrickHorn said:

But, I mean, as a possible Tesla customer, what's not to love?!?!

My car will be running its computer - and I'm presuming that in order to link up with other computers to share data and amp up the total computing power being used, it will hop onto my home wifi - which eats up the bandwidth on my wifi that I pay for.  It will be using some of its battery life not for my tasks (you know....driving the car), but rather to work for Elmo's dream.  Oh, and it will be burning power that I paid for (it's plugged into my wall charger, which provides electricity that I pay for) to do Elmo's work for him.

Yes sir, please sir, can you use and abuse me some more?? THAN YOU, SIR!!!

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, Celery Man said:

it also takes it a step further from... you can purchase a Tesla and own the car, and it has capabilities that you cannot access without paying to have them unlocked (like range). I know that that was a story a few years back and I assume it's the case now. You can own the car without being able to use the whole car because features are software locked. But this idea is that you can own the car but Tesla could just reach in and take your spare cycles to what, create the worlds most powerful racist AI using a mobile cloud of other people's vehicles? FSD crashed your Tesla into a building because Grok was thinking really hard about a new slur?

So, kind of like... hey, your car's mileage is 25 mpg but, guess what, for a low monthly fee of $60/month or whatever, we'll up that to 33 mpg.  Seriously?  WTF.

5 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

3 minutes ago, texasdago said:

So, kind of like... hey, your car's mileage is 25 mpg but, guess what, for a low monthly fee of $60/month or whatever, we'll up that to 33 mpg.  Seriously?  WTF.

The term y'all are looking for is "enshittening."  Enshittening is a religion now, and Elon is its diety.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Rage+1 1