Netflix Recommendations

kevwun

4 hours ago, BrazilHorn said:

Recommend “Entrevias”

A Spanish show about an older guy who goes to war with local druglord to protect his granddaughter. 

Agreed although I'm having trouble sticking with the second season. The women are so gorgeous in this series.

11 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

Five Star Chef, if you like cheffy cooking competitions. It’s a quick binge. It’s British.

I’ve watched most of it and can only give  it 3 stars I deducted a full star for using the term “5 Star” so much. Didn’t love the 2 male hosts. Rav is ok. She hosted The Great British Bake Off, Junior Edition

I’ve watched most of it and can only give  it 3 stars I deducted a full star for using the term “5 Star” so much. Didn’t love the 2 male hosts. Rav is ok. She hosted The Great British Bake Off, Junior Edition

I liked the premise but not the execution. The Langham is a ultra highend hotel that would command and expect top tier chef talent for its 2 Michelin star restaurant; one with a huge CV of “five star” experience.

It was obvious none of these clowns had any business winning the show, from either talent or leadership. The winner is featured on the Langham website but who knows, it could be like Hells Kitchen where many winners don’t actually get the promised job, just a check to hit the road.

22 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

Agreed although I'm having trouble sticking with the second season. The women are so gorgeous in this series.

I had trouble sticking out the first season.  I doubt I will even try the second.  It's a good premise, but the acting to me is poor and while there's some eye candy, there's lots of just dumb stuff to offset it.  I will say they do spread the idiocy around well though, the only one who seems halfway bright is the cop lady.

Edited by pyrohornIII
the/they

Anybody else watch Suits?   I watched all of it.  I thought it was ok, but it made me nostalgic for LA Law and Boston Legal.   I liked the cinematography with all the drone shots of NYC and street scenes.
Watched it a few years ago, enjoyed the series but the same people getting pissed at the same people gets old every episode.

The Wham! documentary was well done and worth watching. Brought back a lot of memories as a kid who grew up in the 80s. New found respect for Andrew Ridgeley after watching it. 

Watched this tonight and really enjoyed it. I would be interested in a follow up on how their relationship went after the break up. They obviously were hugely indebted to each other, albeit for different reasons.
  • Hook 'Em 3

On 7/16/2023 at 7:54 PM, TonyTexas said:

I found it pretty dull. Stopped after one episode. 

Finally got around to “Beef” this week. I don’t think the phrase “should have been a movie” has ever been more apt.

Just stupid people doing stupid shit just to keep a story going. The Isaac character and actor were terrible.

At least Maria Bello is still smoke.

• Like 1

On 7/9/2023 at 1:47 PM, Macklemore said:

The Wham! documentary was well done and worth watching. Brought back a lot of memories as a kid who grew up in the 80s. New found respect for Andrew Ridgeley after watching it. 

It was kind of refreshing for a pop music documentary, right?  It didn't follow the standard narrative at all.  

And, yeah - respect to Ridgeley.  Very gracious.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/16/2023 at 11:11 AM, Post Oak said:

I never thought I would be team Kirk Cousins but here I am

This.  I live in Minneapolis and give zero fucks about the Vikings and I've always thought cousins was an overpaid upper mid to upper mid tier NFL starting QB.  

I mean I still do think all that, but genuinely like Kirk now.  Came across as a genuinely good guy.

Re Mariota, I'm stunned he got another chance this year.  He kind of broke the cardinal rule of professional team sports and it's not like he has skins on the wall to get a second chance.  

• Like 2

On 7/21/2023 at 4:27 PM, Not a cat said:

This.  I live in Minneapolis and give zero fucks about the Vikings and I've always thought cousins was an overpaid upper mid to upper mid tier NFL starting QB.  

I mean I still do think all that, but genuinely like Kirk now.  Came across as a genuinely good guy.

Re Mariota, I'm stunned he got another chance this year.  He kind of broke the cardinal rule of professional team sports and it's not like he has skins on the wall to get a second chance.  

I’m a Bears fan and I’m pulling for Kirk now.  Lol.  Dude is just a rare actual great guy in the NFL and seems very down to earth.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, hookem2010 said:

The Deepest Breath doc was great. Kind of a Free Solo vibe, just going down instead of up.

I mean watching someone dive underwater silently for multiple minutes for the start of the show was not a great choice and to me it wasn’t near as entertaining as the climbing version.  

Edited by Hook1997

On 7/17/2023 at 6:59 PM, pyrohornIII said:

Anybody else watch Suits?   I watched all of it.  I thought it was ok, but it made me nostalgic for LA Law and Boston Legal.   I liked the cinematography with all the drone shots of NYC and street scenes.

It was a weekly watch for me when it was linear cable. Megan Markle in pencil skirt and the redhead were a wonderful thing. I think I stopped watching after Season 6 or 7. I can’t believe they made 9 seasons. 

• Like 1

Watched Bird Box Barcelona.

Starts with a good premise and then wastes it by having the characters make horrible decisions every five minutes to advance the plot.

If there is an apocolypse, be sure to:

- never carry a weapon, so you can't defend yourself from the bad guys

- if you are hiding from bad guys in a city with no electricity, be sure to light candles by an exterior window. The bad guys probably won't see it.

- if the evil thing makes lots of noise when approaching and kills you when you look at it, don't try to leave or walk away when you hear it approaching. Stay still so it can walk up to you.

- Everyone in your group should sleep next to each other, so it's easier to get killed together. Why make the bad guys work harder by spreading out?

- if your goal is to get to a castle on the top of a hill, definitely plan to get there by cable car. Cause a cable car will definitely work after no one has used it for 9 months and there's no electricity. That's a much better plan than driving there or walking to the top of the hill. 

Edited by zman13
  • Like 1

The Deepest Breath is about competitive free diving. It’s fascinating and terrifying. I can’t imagine diving down into the abyss to 100+ meters on a single breath.

Fun fact: their lungs compress to about the size of a pinto ban at those depths.

Interesting personalities and some beautiful cinematography.

Hold Your Breath: the Ice Dive is about free diving under frozen rivers. Horrifying. Not as good.

• Hook 'Em 3

4 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

The Deepest Breath is about competitive free diving. It’s fascinating and terrifying. I can’t imagine diving down into the abyss to 100+ meters on a single breath.

Fun fact: their lungs compress to about the size of a pinto ban at those depths.

uh no. Lung capacity is reduced according to depth. If your lung compresses to the size of a pinto bean, you die.

Hold Your Breath: the Ice Dive is about free diving under frozen rivers. Horrifying. Not as good.
Thought they said it compressed to the size of a fist.

46 minutes ago, Mother mopar said:
59 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

Thought they said it compressed to the size of a fist.

They did say fist. 

Another fun fact - Tanya Streeter lives in Oak Hill now. Still holds the womens world record for no limits free dive of 525 feet (Turks and Caicos). I remember reading that she could hold her breath for seven minutes. I'm not sure how that compares to today's free divers but it's pretty insane to the average Joe. 

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

I think I could get to around 13 feet then panic and shoot for the surface.

As I was watching, I remembered doing a pencil off the top deck of a houseboat as a kid to see how deep I could go, and immediately clawing my way to the surface before I even started to slow down.

12 hours ago, zman13 said:

Starts with a good premise and then wastes it by having the characters make horrible decisions every five minutes to advance the plot.

- never carry a weapon, so you can't defend yourself from the bad guys

- if you are hiding from bad guys in a city with no electricity, be sure to light candles by an exterior window. The bad guys probably won't see it.

- if the evil thing makes lots of noise when approaching and kills you when you look at it, don't try to leave or walk away when you hear it approaching. Stay still so it can walk up to you.

- Everyone in your group should sleep next to each other, so it's easier to get killed together. Why make the bad guys work harder by spreading out?

- if your goal is to get to a castle on the top of a hill, definitely plan to get there by cable car. Cause a cable car will definitely work after no one has used it for 9 months and there's no electricity. That's a much better plan than driving there or walking to the top of the hill. 

I would normally say spoiler this shit, but the first one was so bad, ain't nobody watching this one 

• Haha 1

Deepest Breath was really good. I spearfish but have a max depth of 40 feet but I usually stay at 20feet or less. 300+ feet freedives are insane. Double insane without fins.

Neonmoon, it was said earlier in the show that once you get past 60 feet that you sink. Allesia said that's her favorite part of a dive and to me it would be the scariest. Basically after that point you have to work to get back up.

• Hook 'Em 1

22 hours ago, zman13 said:

Everyone should sleep next to each other, just not at the same time. Sleep in shifts.

Deepest Breath
Spoiler

I have so many questions about the death of the former woman’s record holder. The old Russian lady. She just never resurfaced? Um…what? Because she ran out of air, did she sink? 

I remember them saying once you get below 50 meters the ocean sucks you down and there's no longer a need to swim.
  • Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, Mother mopar said:
9 hours ago, Neonmoon said:
Deepest Breath
Spoiler
  Reveal hidden contents

I have so many questions about the death of the former woman’s record holder. The old Russian lady. She just never resurfaced? Um…what? Because she ran out of air, did she sink? 

I remember them saying once you get below 50 meters the ocean sucks you down and there's no longer a need to swim.

She said it’s like flying. 

On 7/24/2023 at 3:55 PM, Wally Pryor said:

They did say fist. 

Another fun fact - Tanya Streeter lives in Oak Hill now. Still holds the womens world record for no limits free dive of 525 feet (Turks and Caicos). I remember reading that she could hold her breath for seven minutes. I'm not sure how that compares to today's free divers but it's pretty insane to the average Joe. 

CSB: I remember a few years ago I was dabbling in the Wim Hoff method just to see what it was all about.

For those not familiar, it is basically a two step method of stress to reinvigorate the body and connect it back to its evolutionary/genetic roots or some shit.

The first part of the method involves cold water plunges on a regular basis. It's more than that but that is the basic premise.

Part two is an involved breathing method that has some similarities to hyperventilating which is done daily. Again, it is more involved than that but that is the overall deal.

I did not do cold water plunges since I didn't have a means to do them, so I substituted cold showers.

I did the breathing for about 10 days and started off with being able to hold my breath for about 90 seconds. After day 10 it was over 5 minutes. I also lost like 7lbs.

Some people pass out during the breathing excercises so they recommend not doing them in the open water.

Can't imagine going to that depth tho.

• Hook 'Em 1

23 hours ago, Mother mopar said:
On 7/25/2023 at 6:09 AM, Neonmoon said:
Deepest Breath
Spoiler
  Reveal hidden contents

Something, something...South Austin's mom...

On 7/17/2023 at 7:59 PM, pyrohornIII said:

I’m in it right now. I binge it all day. Donna is just perfection.