Netflix Recommendations

kevwun

10 hours ago, Mileslong said:

I only wAtched the first episode and not sure if I will continue but the first thing I said to the g/f when she came in screen was “you would think she would at least wash her hair for this show”

Stick with the show.  First episode is by far the worst, in my opinion.  

12 hours ago, Mileslong said:

I only wAtched the first episode and not sure if I will continue but the first thing I said to the g/f when she came in screen was “you would think she would at least wash her hair for this show”

Are they having fun with the fact that her college series, Felicity, fell out of the ratings when she cut her hair?

spacer.png

Hard to believe she's 47 now. Thank goodness I'm the same age I always am.

• Haha 1

we finished beef last night.  i loved it.  i don't like ally wong and i've never seen steven yeun in anything before but those two can act.  

Spoiler

felt so bad for george.  the writers did a great job fleshing out characters and giving everyone a little bad and a little good.  

15 hours ago, Mother mopar said:
15 hours ago, tbone_ said:

I didn’t finish it. Didn’t finish Florida Man either.

I thought night agent was alright but the Recruit was a beating to watch and had to give it up. Working on Florida Man now and it seems lackluster at points and full of filler at others but I'm only 4 episodes in.

Florida Man definitely full of fillers. Would’ve made a decent 2 hour movie, not an 8 episode series.

• Like 1

Are they having fun with the fact that her college series, Felicity, fell out of the ratings when she cut her hair?
keri-russell-hair-split-tease-today-160321.jpg
Hard to believe she's 47 now. Thank goodness I'm the same age I always am.

Lol while watching the diplomat I looked up older pics and got confused asking my wife “didn’t she kill someone while drunk driving?” “Wasn’t she the noxzema girl?!?”
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

each episode is standalone. so not even anthology. 

There are some tie-ins - for instance White Christmas and the Museum episode with Letitia Wright call back to prior episodes.  But yeah, you can start cold.  But if you haven’t watched any, do it anyway.  I am going to go back and do a rewatch. Just don’t start with National Anthem (the first episode) because it is in the bottom tier.  That said, I’ve come to appreciate it more.  

If you have Nests or something like it in your home, The Entire History of You is already reality.  

• Hook 'Em 1

On 4/26/2023 at 8:39 PM, Mother mopar said:

I thought night agent was alright

On 4/25/2023 at 12:23 PM, Billy Pilgrim said:

On the flip side, The Night Agent was terrible.

I saw multiple people talking about The Night Agent, and I kept thinking they were talking about The Night Porter and I'm like "wait, it showed up on Netflix and everybody just discovered it?" and then I look and it's actually streaming on HBOMax, and it's a fucked up movie which jives with what people were saying about The Night Agent, except it's got a young Charlotte Rampling...

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

I saw multiple people talking about The Night Agent, and I kept thinking they were talking about The Night Porter and I'm like "wait, it showed up on Netflix and everybody just discovered it?" and then I look and it's actually streaming on HBOMax, and it's a fucked up movie which jives with what people were saying about The Night Agent, except it's got a young Charlotte Rampling...

i thought everyone was talking about The Night Manager.

• Like 1

Watched the Luther movie last night.  Probably would have been a bit better if it had been a 3 episode season but still good.  I did have a question:

Spoiler

Were the bodies under the ice just a bunch of randos that they had killed or were they the hackers shown earlier in the movie getting the blackmail material?

On 4/26/2023 at 7:50 PM, Mileslong said:

On 4/27/2023 at 6:32 AM, Native Horn said:

Stick with the show.  First episode is by far the worst, in my opinion.  

My wife talked me into watching The Diplomat. Apparently Keri Russell was quoted somewhere as saying the show finds its legs after the 3rd ep. I think she was right, based on having watched 4 or 5 eps, though we haven't finished the full season yet.

On 3/27/2023 at 5:24 PM, Post Oak said:

McMurtry never understood the love for it.  

My favorite book and imo on the short list of the greatest American novels ever written.

He got the name Lonesome Dove from a church bus he saw. Lonesome Dove Baptist Church.

Streets of Laredo is a big fuck you to the LD fanbois 

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, Scary Stranger said:

Watched the Luther movie last night.  Probably would have been a bit better if it had been a 3 episode season but still good.  I did have a question:

Reveal hidden contents

Were the bodies under the ice just a bunch of randos that they had killed or were they the hackers shown earlier in the movie getting the blackmail material?

Ah.  Never mind.  Figured it out.  Remembered that

Spoiler

some of the victims had been held for extended periods of time.

3 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I thought the interaction between the Wyler characters was really interesting and both Keri Russell and Rufus Sewell were great

Keri's character got a little annoying at times, but over all I did like the Wyler characters.

2 hours ago, semitired said:

Keri's character got a little annoying at times, but over all I did like the Wyler characters.

I'll repeat that I didn't know Rufus Sewell had it in him.  I watched Kaleidoscope and he was OK in that, but to me he's always the uber-serious bad guy from Dark City, Knight's Tale, or Man in High Castle.  I just figured that was his range before this.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 4/19/2023 at 10:07 PM, Hook1997 said:

The dvd service was really good back in the day with a great selection of old movies.  Many you can’t find streaming on any services still.  

This is why I’m one of the last of the holdouts. My DVD account will go down with the ship later this year. 

On 4/25/2023 at 12:23 PM, Billy Pilgrim said:

Also want to give high marks for Beef. Sometimes funny, sometimes sad, sometimes  fucked up. I’ve recommended it to a few friends. Amy and Isaac’s characters are so well done. I need to keep this show in mind when I feel like I’m getting pissed off about something trivial.

On the flip side, The Night Agent was terrible. Netflix has made a couple of spy shows like The Recruit and Gray Man that weren’t bad. The Night Agent was just plain bad. The story and acting were awful, I’m surprised I finished it.

Going to Try Florida Man next.

Interesting.  I had Night Agent on my list to try, based partly on some folks here who said it was enjoyable (albeit not outstanding).  The Recruit was entertaining.

A little thread drift, but has anyone watched any of the new Jennifer Garner series (I think it's on Hulu)?  I think Jamie Lannister from GOT is also in it.  Have heard some good things from a few folks I know (offline).

3 hours ago, DDD Dad said:

Interesting.  I had Night Agent on my list to try, based partly on some folks here who said it was enjoyable (albeit not outstanding).  The Recruit was entertaining.

A little thread drift, but has anyone watched any of the new Jennifer Garner series (I think it's on Hulu)?  I think Jamie Lannister from GOT is also in it.  Have heard some good things from a few folks I know (offline).

It's on Apple+. Only a couple of comments about it so far. I haven't started it yet, but apparently, some of it was filmed in Austin and around campus.

21 minutes ago, bolverk said:

It's on Apple+. Only a couple of comments about it so far. I haven't started it yet, but apparently, some of it was filmed in Austin and around campus.

Yes. Apple TV. Thank you. And yes, one of the points my friends made was that there were some scenes filmed in Austin. 

thx. 

Is Black Mirror an anthology series where I'm not required to watch previous seasons?

each episode is standalone. so not even anthology. 

There’s one exception, the episode Black Museum has a bunch of call backs to earlier episodes.

The Blockbuster killer is dead. Long live the Blockbuster killer.

Blockbuster wasn’t killed by Netflix. They were killed by an idiotic new owner who stacked their BOD and had them kill off their streaming service which was taking customers from Netflix at the time.

On 5/10/2023 at 10:02 AM, nineliveslost said:

You have more fortitude than I. I finally succumbed to the 100th rolling of the eyes over the horrible script and acting. I did want to see the main chick's tits, but sadly they never showed up sufficiently by the 3rd episode. Bewildered how this is a top Netflix show

Thor is he though Meme Generator - Imgflip

I saw where they cast J. Lo as a retired government assassin or some shit in a new movie on Netflix? That casting seems as bad as Tom Cruise playing 6'5" Jack Reacher.

I see J. Lo as a lot of things, stone cold special forces government killer is not one of them.