Netflix Recommendations

kevwun

8 hours ago, Augustus said:

Is anyone watching The Night Agent.  I just saw the trailer for it upon logging into Netflix.  74/81 rating on RT.

About to watch the first episode, I guess.

I have watched the first two episodes.  Requires a bit of belief suspension, but I'll keep watching.  Rose is pretty hot.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

Unstable. Rob Lowe is super brilliant biotech inventor/mogul who is losing his marbles. Runs a company full of eccentrics. 8 eps dropped. We’re five in. Funny show.

I hope it gets better bc the first 2 were quite meh 

• Hook 'Em 1

Cunk on Earth is the funniest shit I’ve seen in some time.  It’s a British mockumentary about the history of human civilization, complete with interviews of professors and historians who are not necessarily in on the joke, like this one.

• Hook 'Em 3

On 3/27/2023 at 4:09 PM, Rockethorn1978 said:

The Netflix Waco documentary is kinda meh. If you want your mind blown and really wanna see how bad the atf and fbi lied watch “Waco: The rules of engagement”. Hands down the best documentary on Waco.

fwiw representation from active duty military was there too, providing advice and strategy, despite the Posse Comitatus Act. Source: a friend was a general and was there, and I don't believe the info has ever gotten out there. So if it does, you read it on surly first. If it has come out, my apologies. I stopped reading or watching anything to do with Koresh years ago.

3 hours ago, Goredho said:

Cunk on Earth is the funniest shit I’ve seen in some time.  It’s a British mockumentary about the history of human civilization, complete with interviews of professors and historians who are not necessarily in on the joke, like this one.

The historians who are in on the joke but have to try not to laugh are the real heroes of this show.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Goredho said:

Yeah it reminded of old school Daily Show interviews. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 3/31/2023 at 8:58 AM, Native Horn said:

I have watched the first two episodes.  Requires a bit of belief suspension, but I'll keep watching.  Rose is pretty hot.

Ok I watched it. I liked it. Every episode had me like 

Always Sunny Reaction GIF
Burnie Burns Conspiracy GIF by Rooster Teeth

14 minutes ago, MirrOlure said:

We just now finished Derry Girls. Sometimes a show just hits me square in my sensitive side…absolutely loved every minute of it and damn the pollen count must have been high during the finale. 5 gold stars all around

You're a Derry Girl now Mirror. It's one of my favorite shows ever.  

If you haven't seen it try The Detectorists.  Similar.  Not quite as funny but a wonderful, charming show.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

Finished the Night Agent and the Messiah over the weekend.   Overall, the Night Agent was entertaining.   My one nitpick was with comms being down at Camp David.   I would think that would be an immediate removal of POTUS from the grounds.

As for the Messiah, it had an intriguing plot right up until the end.   The anarchy subplot that they were alluding to that just kind of "poofed" away and then the final scene with Al-Masih and Aviram were kind of weak,   But it did take a nice huge watery shit on organized religion in general though.

On 3/20/2023 at 2:19 PM, henrygandorf said:

the subject gets revisited every 3-5 years i would guess. 

i have a script of the movie (i have about 300 in storage) which spells it gondorf with one f.  at one point, on aol instant messenger, i either tried or had that handle, then i lost my password and had to reset my account, so i became henrygandorf, which is around the time (1999?) when i started it on whatever hornfans was back then. 

been gandorf ever since which i prefer because of google search.  so yeah, there's a story.  wouldn't call it a classic anecdote.

Untitled+2.tiff

The Sting is a fucking great movie.  The poker game scene on the train is an all-timer.

I'm in the middle of watching Outlast.  At first I was disappointed that there wasn't more focus on the techniques the teams were using to survive (e.g., building shelter, finding food, etc.) such a shitty environment in which to be outdoors for an extended period of time.  Instead, the focus is more on the intra-team dynamics and the dealings between the various teams.  The more I watch, though, the more I'm getting into it, in large part because I'm curious to see what the next act of backstabbing fuckery will be and by whom. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Chopper said:

Transatlantic is definitely worth the watch. 7 ep limited series based on the story of Varian Fry who led the effort to get intellectuals and artists out of Vichy, France at the beginning of WWII.

Yeah I’m enjoying this 

On 4/9/2023 at 3:45 PM, Chopper said:

Transatlantic is definitely worth the watch. 7 ep limited series based on the story of Varian Fry who led the effort to get intellectuals and artists out of Vichy, France at the beginning of WWII.

image.gif.6d6f131efe29468a3a45a7bfe7165da1.gif

Actually she was awesome.  I enjoyed this a lot. 

20 hours ago, DallasHorn26 said:

I finished it over the weekend, thought it was pretty good. Has some crazy moments for sure.

Definitely recommend Beef if you like over the top plot mixed with deep emotional work. Felt like a toned down Everything Everywhere All at Once. 

2 hours ago, zman13 said:

Definitely recommend Beef if you like over the top plot mixed with deep emotional work. Felt like a toned down Everything Everywhere All at Once. 

Beef seems more like Dead to Me but much much more grounded in reality.  Only through 4 but seems to be backing characters into a corner throughout season for a final explosion to happen. 

Dave Choh is hilarious.  Perfect role for him. Ali Wong can get it. 

28 minutes ago, A-Tex Devil said:

Beef seems more like Dead to Me but much much more grounded in reality.  Only through 4 but seems to be backing characters into a corner throughout season for a final explosion to happen. 

Dave Choh is hilarious.  Perfect role for him. Ali Wong can get it. 

"much much more grounded in reality.  Only through 4"

Just wait.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Yep.

And it shows how most cops are total fucking dipshits.

I hope the Chinese dude got his own day at Fenway since he was the real hero. 

8 hours ago, kingkoopa6 said:

Beef episode 9 is holy shyt 

this show got hella badass at 7 tho

its all wild… 

I’d watch it all again just cuz  

they was actin actin on that finale 

I might have liked it even more if it ended after ep. 9. Really good show though. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

I might have liked it even more if it ended after ep. 9. Really good show though. 

100% agree with this.  Episode 9 would have been a perfect ending.  I get Episode 10, but if I had stopped after 9, I would have been very satisfied.

• Hook 'Em 1

20 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Had completely forgotten about the details of their capture.  Just wild, and Boston PD Can’t shoot for shit. 

I remember on the old site someone posted the BPD radio of the cops closing in on second brother in the boat.   So we are listening live.  Sounded like a cliche movie with Boston Pd complaining about the feds getting in their way etc.  

On 4/2/2023 at 10:36 PM, Buzzrock said:

Already recommended I’m sure, but 14 Peaks is fantastic.

“Tonight we drink, tomorrow we plan!”

Great story, and inspiring. I was motivated to take the stairs for at least a solid week.

But seriously incredible how they are just physically built to climb.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

Where is one supposed to discuss opinions/details of a Netflix show?  We certainly don’t want individual threads for each show. This is definitely a problem seeking a solution. Any ideas?

Spoiler tags would be a nice start.

I'm talking about when a show drops and someone comes in here on the same day and immediately starts talking about the ending.