Netflix Recommendations

kevwun

On 6/5/2021 at 6:03 PM, Dilligas said:

Anyone watching Sweet Tooth? Found myself strangely drawn in, although I’m usually more into a graphic violence, profanity and sex themed series.

I'm digging this.  So far behind because I did all 12 seasons of New Tricks on Prime.  

Anyone started Sex/Life?   Subtitled 'the life of a retired sugar baby'

oh hell yeah new season of I Think You Should Leave

season 1 was the sketch show equivalent of The Big Lebowski for me - funny/enjoyable at first and then I realized it had implanted itself into my frontal lobe. RIP Tiny Dinky Daffy

Edited by Celery Man
  • Hook 'Em 2

On 6/28/2021 at 5:45 PM, Gourmand said:

I binged Startup recently, first season was the best. Overall B grade for the series. Halt and Catch Fire meets The Wire.

This.  Hoping there is a season four.

2 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

Sophie - Murder in West Cork 

prety good. 

Just finished this. The video they showed of the crime scene showed a lot of blood present, especially the thorns with blood on them. Was none of this blood collected?  I know the dipshit police lost the gate with blood on it, but it seems like DNA could  and should a real issue in this case, and that does not seem to be the case. 

1 hour ago, cabowabo said:

Just finished this. The video they showed of the crime scene showed a lot of blood present, especially the thorns with blood on them. Was none of this blood collected?  I know the dipshit police lost the gate with blood on it, but it seems like DNA could  and should a real issue in this case, and that does not seem to be the case. 

The lost the gate. He burned his clothes. They buried the body. I guess they should still have her clothes, but the Garda seemed a bit over their head and maybe they didn’t find any blood other than hers. But mostly the Garda were small town cops who mainly deal with drunks and petty larceny. 

19 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Yes it got an abrupt cancellation as they plan to do a spin off around Shannon 

Not sure how interested I would be in a show centered around her. I like her in spurts as a secondary character but a whole show of her would be too much. But I will give it a chance. 

22 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

Was that the last season? IMDB has it as 2016-2021 seeming like it is done.

Yea it's done. Evidently there was some disagreement between some of the actors and I think I read they were planning a spin off on one of the characters. My bad for not reading the responses right below. Yea not sure I'll be into a Shannon show 

Edited by Zepol87

18 hours ago, Zepol87 said:

Yea it's done. Evidently there was some disagreement between some of the actors and I think I read they were planning a spin off on one of the characters. My bad for not reading the responses right below. Yea not sure I'll be into a Shannon show 

My sister in law is friends with some of the cast members.  Basically the actors were getting paid shit, weren’t happy with the character development, and overall there was disconnect between the cast and the director/producers.  They are also pissed that the show gained popularity off of Asian actors and they decided to give a the spin off show to the white girl.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

So recommending Somos., it’s based on the massacre at Allende which came about due to upper management in an operation that is based outta the Eastern District of Texas. Operation Too Legit to quit

I’ve seen some bad dudes and bad things in my time working OCDETF but the Zetas changed the game.

I’ve only seen 1 episode but most everyone with knowledge has seen it and said it’s good enough but changes some key elements and thankfully leaves us outta the story, the DEA guys not so much.

So recommending Somos., it’s based on the massacre at Allende which came about due to upper management in an operation that is based outta the Eastern District of Texas. Operation Too Legit to quit

I’ve seen some bad dudes and bad things in my time working OCDETF but the Zetas changed the game.

I’ve only seen 1 episode but most everyone with knowledge has seen it and said it’s good enough but changes some key elements and thankfully leaves us outta the story, the DEA guys not so much.

Just watched the trailer. No habla, so the 100% subtitles will make it a little bit of a challenge but I’ll still check it out.

On 7/4/2021 at 8:13 PM, victory88 said:

My sister in law is friends with some of the cast members.  Basically the actors were getting paid shit, weren’t happy with the character development, and overall there was disconnect between the cast and the director/producers.  They are also pissed that the show gained popularity off of Asian actors and they decided to give a the spin off show to the white girl.  

That is pretty much what I thought what happened. Shannon was the least important character and the family was hilarious

• Hook 'Em 2

I think I’m having the same experience with season 2 that I had with season 1 - several laugh out loud goofy moments or funny jokes on the first watch through, and now I’m on 2 and the depth of the Santa Claus joke is sinking in.

Spoiler

First off, when the line about the cocks is hanging in the air and you’re trying to piece together what he means - hilarious. But… the fact that he doesn’t give a shit about tattoos, it’s just not good behavior, like the whole Santa Claus thing is just a gig and he’s a professional (and why can’t the interview treat him as such). A good interview would follow through and ask about the catharsis of playing this role and really getting to access the darker sides of his humanity. But I’m not sure he’s human.

the hat skit killed me also. And the Claires skit. When I watched season 1 I thought the baby of the year thing was meh, and now… dr skull, Bart Harley Jarvis, pancaked by a drunk dump truck driver, greatness. I’m not sure if I get that from the corporate competitions buff boy thing but we’ll see. 

Edited by Celery Man
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 6/28/2021 at 5:45 PM, Gourmand said:

I binged Startup recently, first season was the best. Overall B grade for the series. Halt and Catch Fire meets The Wire.

Just finished the 3 seasons of Startup as well. It wasn't what I was expecting from the preview/trailer (was better). I thought it was a really good move it along type storyline. Characters and acting are pretty good.  Definitely worthy of a binge watch.

On 7/4/2021 at 10:43 PM, Speedtrucker said:

Strange...2005 to 2013 I would go to Sabinas about every three weeks for work. Went through Allende quite a few times and did not no this story. I will say, 2005 -2009 there was no issues. Things started to get uncomfortable with the Zetas around 09. 

Look forward to seeing this.

• Like 1

Strange...2005 to 2013 I would go to Sabinas about every three weeks for work. Went through Allende quite a few times and did not no this story. I will say, 2005 -2009 there was no issues. Things started to get uncomfortable with the Zetas around 09. 
Look forward to seeing this.

Propublica did an article on it from our side of the border and how it went down.

https://www.propublica.org/article/allende-zetas-cartel-massacre-and-the-us-dea

On Nat Geo Narco Wars, episode 6 of season 1 was called the Rise of the Narco Army and goes into Allende and our story.

Both of those reference a federal prosecutor who is probably the most impressive badass in a gentle laid back demeanor I’ve met during my time in the field
  • Like 1

The Stand at Paxton County - Loooosely inspired on the story of a North Dakota father and daughter. All that aside, it is an engaging movie. Female Army medic gets sent home when Dad collapses. Stumbles into a huge conspiracy to steal land and animals. Sort of a mini Yellowstone. Mostly unknown cast except for Christopher McDonald as the crooked Sheriff (you can never trust Shooter McGavin) and Michael O'Neil plays Dad.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

On 7/8/2021 at 2:44 PM, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Just finished the 3 seasons of Startup as well. It wasn't what I was expecting from the preview/trailer (was better). I thought it was a really good move it along type storyline. Characters and acting are pretty good.  Definitely worthy of a binge watch.

I started this based on this thread. This show is really good. I'm glad I started it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/9/2021 at 1:47 AM, RPM said:

The Stand at Paxton County - Loooosely inspired on the story of a North Dakota father and daughter. All that aside, it is an engaging movie. Female Army medic gets sent home when Dad collapses. Stumbles into a huge conspiracy to steal land and animals. Sort of a mini Yellowstone. Mostly unknown cast except for Christopher McDonald as the crooked Sheriff (you can never trust Shooter McGavin) and Michael O'Neil plays Dad.

Awesome film. This stuff gets lost on Netflix. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/3/2021 at 9:01 AM, Celery Man said:

oh hell yeah new season of I Think You Should Leave

season 1 was the sketch show equivalent of The Big Lebowski for me - funny/enjoyable at first and then I realized it had implanted itself into my frontal lobe. RIP Tiny Dinky Daffy

Pretty awesome they got Julia Butters to pop in for a 30 second skit that really didn't work. 

On 7/8/2021 at 10:46 PM, Speedtrucker said:

Propublica did an article on it from our side of the border and how it went down.

https://www.propublica.org/article/allende-zetas-cartel-massacre-and-the-us-dea

On Nat Geo Narco Wars, episode 6 of season 1 was called the Rise of the Narco Army and goes into Allende and our story.

Both of those reference a federal prosecutor who is probably the most impressive badass in a gentle laid back demeanor I’ve met during my time in the field

In on Somos. Was thinking yesterday about how there's nothing I am highly interested in on Netflix these days other than waiting for new seasons of Peaky Blinders and one or two other shows. I hope Somos changes my mind.

16 hours ago, Chopper said:

In on Somos. Was thinking yesterday about how there's nothing I am highly interested in on Netflix these days other than waiting for new seasons of Peaky Blinders and one or two other shows. I hope Somos changes my mind.

Somos is a sad reminder of how fucked up it all is. Everyone likes the stories,  Narcos, El Chapo, etc, but there's a lot of collateral damage and Somos tells part of that story. 

Changing gears, Wild District is pretty damn good if you need something. 

• Hook 'Em 1