Netflix Recommendations

kevwun

7 hours ago, Jive Turkey said:

we're also knee deep into The Great British Baking Show.  what a great reality show.

It’s my 2nd favorite cooking competition show after Top Chef. I prefer the earlier seasons with Mel and Sue as hosts and Mary Berry as the other judge. The bakers are really amateurs but are very talented. 

Edited by TonyTexas

Started the Queen's Gambit last night. It's a little slow, but I've been hooked so far. It's about an orphaned girl that becomes a chess prodigy in the 60s. 

Yeah I really like, very stylish period piece and it’s addicting. I love the fact some of these chess nerds spent their Saturday night drinking beer and some speed chess at the student union.

Also second the Barbarians recommendation...

16 hours ago, ajax said:

My wife is binge watching Grey's Anatomy. All of it. For the love of God this show sucks so much.

I can't believe this show is still on.  When I got married in 2008 it was one of the shows the Mrs. watched that I now had to watch, but I convinced her to drop it after a couple more seasons because all the original characters were mostly gone.  That was like 10 years ago.  They've probably have had dozens of jumping the shark moments and survived them all.

• Hook 'Em 1

Netflix is going to make a live-action Assassins Creed series, but no major announcements (casting, etc.) yet.  They are supposedly looking at different seasons = different eras.
I think it would be cool if they gave Michael Fassbender another run at it, with solid writing and direction.

They can film one episode and just show it over and over for 20 years to make it more like the game.
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 1

On 10/27/2020 at 8:41 PM, CooterBrown said:

Barbarians was solid with a tiny bit of cheese. The chic is hot and shows her tits once at least. Looking forward to a second season.

I tried.  Too cheesy for my taste.  Seems like the Germans are trying to find some historical legacy they can lean back on and actually be proud of.

1 hour ago, freyguy said:

I tried.  Too cheesy for my taste.  Seems like the Germans are trying to find some historical legacy they can lean back on and actually be proud of.

Looking up what actually happened, it is surprisingly accurate. The only major plot point that's not is that the 3 of them were childhood friends.  Everything else, including Thusnelda's dad being a little bitch, is totally accurate.

Edited by CooterBrown
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

I like Barbarians so far, cheese factor and all. About on the same cheese level as Last Kingdom which is near the line without being over.

Lead actress is pure smoke damn son.

I love the Last Kingdom. If Barbarians is similar, I'll give it a shot.

5 minutes ago, lateshow said:

I love the Last Kingdom. If Barbarians is similar, I'll give it a shot.

Very much so, with a tighter more coherent story and fewer gratuitous "look how pensive and mysterious the male lead is, girls!" scenes.

Edited by BradInATX

23 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Netflix is going to make a live-action Assassins Creed series, but no major announcements (casting, etc.) yet.  They are supposedly looking at different seasons = different eras.

I think it would be cool if they gave Michael Fassbender another run at it, with solid writing and direction.

The game was incredibly boring and the movie was terrible. 

The bar has been set really fucking low

On 10/18/2020 at 2:36 AM, Pato del Muerto said:

Anyone tried la revelución?  Looks like maybe a zombie show set in revolutionary France?

I did. I enjoy historical shows and I thought this would indeed be that type of show. You are correct, it is sort of a zombie starts the French Revolution type thing. It's not the worst thing ever. The good guy is actually a doctor with the name, Joseph Ignace Guillotin, so you can kind of see where this is going. I have an episode and a half to go. I will finish it.

3 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:

I did. I enjoy historical shows and I thought this would indeed be that type of show. You are correct, it is sort of a zombie starts the French Revolution type thing. It's not the worst thing ever. The good guy is actually a doctor with the name, Joseph Ignace Guillotin, so you can kind of see where this is going. I have an episode and a half to go. I will finish it.

Yeah I ended up watching it. Was pretty good, and was surprised it was dubbed into English. I don’t think that was my Netflix settings but I never checked.  They did a good job of using a couple of historical facts to tie it together and pull off the “this is the real story” angle. 

Tangent here but Barbarians makes Germany 3 for 3 in shows that I've watched and enjoyed. Babylon Berlin and Barbarians are good and Dark was fucking fantastic. 

Anyone watched that Oktoberfest: BLOOD AND GUTS or whatever? Looks cheesy as hell but I feel like I owe it the shot since Germany is batting 1.000

5 hours ago, Colonel Sanders said:

Netflix just announced another rate hike.  The most popular plan is going up $1 to $14 with the 4K plan going up to $18.  Strange time for a hike IMO.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnbc.com/amp/2020/10/29/netflix-raises-prices-of-its-standard-and-premium-monthly-plans.html

It’s an arms race. 

1 minute ago, Deej said:

Somebody has to pony up to keep paying that no-talent ass clown Adam Sandler. 

But also this 

6 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Yeah I ended up watching it. Was pretty good, and was surprised it was dubbed into English. I don’t think that was my Netflix settings but I never checked.  They did a good job of using a couple of historical facts to tie it together and pull off the “this is the real story” angle. 

That was a strange ass ending. I wonder if there is a season 2.

12 hours ago, Etexhorn13 said:

Man, same here. I’m glad to know it’s not just my wife that watches really stupid tv. 

It's not.  Same here, she was binging it for the last two months, and is now watching Hallmarky Christmas movies.  I told her today, in fact, that she's forgotten more Hallmark movies than I'll ever see. 

21 hours ago, BradInATX said:

I like Barbarians so far, cheese factor and all. About on the same cheese level as Last Kingdom which is near the line without being over.

Lead actress is pure smoke damn son.

Agreed on all points. Only thing that annoyed me was the love triangle plot. 

Seemed completely forced and unnecessary. 

• Hook 'Em 1

You season 2 was so much fun.

Season 1 (when it was on Lifetime) sucked shit through a straw. I couldn't wait for the guy to murder his slutbag girlfriend.

Season 2 moved to Netflix and it's more like Dexter with lots of plot twists, blood and murder, where season 1 was like a Lifetime cautionary tale.

And the girl in season 2 is a shit ton more likeable even though...well no spoilers.

I was a Marine, but damn if The Outpost was not US Army greatness. Bad ass studs that deserved their real life medals. 2 Medal of Honors and 5 Silver Stars, well deserved. Just watched it for the second time(and I never watch movies twice.) Best war flick since Full Metal Jacket IMHO. Thanks for the recc.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

On 10/30/2020 at 7:39 PM, Dylan383 said:

What is your take on the Bly Manor horror house series? How does it rate compared to Hill House?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not nearly as good as Hill House, very slow to develop. The plot is a little confusing too when they talk about being “tucked away”, etc. I’d skip it if you haven’t started it yet.

• Hook 'Em 1

Anyone watching final table? Kind of a neat “top chef” type deal except they cook in teams, and most of the chefs seem to have known each other previously, even though they’re almost all from different countries around the world. Each episode is a new country with their specific judges/ingredients for the chefs to cook. PrettY interesting if you’re in to cooking shit. 

Edited by Etexhorn13