2024 State of the Union, 8p central, 3/7

• Replies 934
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

54 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Dotard was just talking about the SOTU. "Angry, hate-filled rant. He's a threat to democracy."

Again, this was Dotard, talking about Biden. He also made fun of his stutter, for good measure. 

Accuse others of that which you are guilty - Fascism 101

6 hours ago, David Dennison said:

It's not like Democrats are unaware of how Republicans practice politics. They need to get better at responding to it.

Remember when there were Trump campaign ads showing all the crazy shit that was happening under Trump and it was labeled Biden's America?

• Hook 'Em 4

I'm rather shocked that the Britt's have a round table in their "kitchen." A round table, in that grand Arthurian legend, implies that there is equality of all who are seated and that just won't fly with GOP leadership and status with respect to females.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Just now, Mrs Whiggins said:

I'm rather shocked that the Britt's have a round table in their "kitchen." A round table, in that grand Arthurian legend, implies that there is equality of all who are seated and that just won't fly with GOP leadership and status with respect to females.

I’m sure there’s a Putin-esque dining room table in the formal dining room along with the China hutch that has all the good silver and bone China.  Like all of us. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Pato del Muerto said:

I’m sure there’s a Putin-esque dining room table in the formal dining room along with the China hutch that has all the good silver and bone China.  Like all of us. 

You're probably correct. Funny, when the agent was showing us houses, we nixed the ones with dining rooms. We knew when we entertained, everyone ended up in the kitchen or close to it and found a place with a larger than average eat-in kitchen. It's been great. Don't miss a dining room at all.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

You're probably correct. Funny, when the agent was showing us houses, we nixed the ones with dining rooms. We knew when we entertained, everyone ended up in the kitchen or close to it and found a place with a larger than average eat-in kitchen. It's been great. Don't miss a dining room at all.

You don't miss it, but your dinner servants do. You've packed them all in the kitchen with the scullery maids, and now the servants of other households mock them.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

4 hours ago, RDCanecutter said:

You don't miss it, but your dinner servants do. You've packed them all in the kitchen with the scullery maids, and now the servants of other households mock them.

And they are liable to take it out on your manservant, and if they do, your manservant will be in a foul mood when it’s time for you to take your bath and have your evening bowel movement, and his foul mood will probably continue on into the  next morning when you take your daily constitutional.

• Haha 1
  • Drool 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

And they are liable to take it out on your manservant, and if they do, your manservant will be in a foul mood when it’s time for you to take your bath and have your evening bowel movement, and his foul mood will probably continue on into the  next morning when you take your daily constitutional.

Just so.

• Haha 1

I do think that's Katie Britt's kitchen. The fact that it looks unused makes the case. She seems like the type who would opt for some echoing open-plan slap-together multi-gable Prancing-Pony-at-Bree stone + brick ChickMansionfilA.

Turns out there a name for the whisper-voice she used: Fundie Baby Voice. I encountered it decades ago in Tammy Faye Bakker wannabees who would burst into tears to control their children.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, RDCanecutter said:

I do think that's Katie Britt's kitchen. The fact that it looks unused makes the case.

Bingo.  Bet ya dollars to donuts that her "spice cabinet" contains 1) salt, 2) pepper, 3) an old container of Great Value brand garlic salt.....and that's it.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

I had hopes for Katie way back when. She came from the staff of Richard Shelby, a fairly chill guy who advised Republicans to write in somebody other than Roy Moore. Like Shelby, she was disliked by local radio Maggroid, who were fans of Angry Traitor Snow-Monkey Mo Brooks. 

That affected voice. Maybe she's just got the caint-heppits. I first heard her use it when she strategically started sucking up to Trump, IIRC it was an ad where she was speaking in a baby voice about appreciating farmers who go to work from the moment God puts the sun in the sky, presumably a Crayola blue sky.

• Haha 1

It's just so hard to believe that the people who do this for a living thought any of that would be a good idea. Like, they rehearsed it, right? And no one said "Oh no no no no, this is awful."

• Haha 1
  • Drool 1

4 minutes ago, Red Five said:

It's just so hard to believe that the people who do this for a living thought any of that would be a good idea. Like, they rehearsed it, right? And no one said "Oh no no no no, this is awful."

Her normal voice is, well, normal. Probably used the normal voice in run-throughs before she started ACTING.

giphy.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I'm sure there were some closeted rhinos there for the dress rehearsal that, when asked how Katie's performance was, simply responded with

yes-jack-nicholson.gif

• Haha 1

Man, I just don't think of Scarlett Johansen that much, but she's damn good at acting. That she managed to put that together and execute it perfectly in a matter of days is incredible. So good.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 2

6 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Man, I just don't think of Scarlett Johansen that much, but she's damn good at acting. That she managed to put that together and execute it perfectly in a matter of days is incredible. So good.

I was also surprised. Never knew she had those comedic chops

Yeah, I was ready to take one for the team and have a sex scandal with Katie Britt, but now I think I'm going to have to hold out for Scarlett Johansen portraying Katie Britt.

3 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Bingo.  Bet ya dollars to donuts that her "spice cabinet" contains 1) salt, 2) pepper, 3) an old container of Great Value brand garlic salt.....and that's it.

tamar braxton child GIF

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, chainsaw said:

I was also surprised. Never knew she had those comedic chops

Watch Hail Caesar if you haven't seen it already because she is hilarious in it. Not a huge part as it's an ensemble cast (George Clooney, Ralph Fiennes, Alden Ehrenriech, Josh Brolin, etc) but she has more range than for which she receives credit. Clip of one of her scenes below--you have to be patient for the first minute or so of the three minute clip but she's a hoot.

20 hours ago, RDCanecutter said:

Jokes on you, my friend. We don't have dinner servants. We had house elves until the day that I gave them all my brassieres and now we're all free.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2
  • Drool 2

3 hours ago, 'stache said:

It helps that her husband is the head writer at SNL, but it still takes chops to go from inspiration to doing the sketch in 36 hours or less.

Yeah, she didn't get to do any table reads or meet with writers or any of that.  And usually Fridays are spent punching up the pre-taped sketches, so any new ideas are completely on the backburner.  Of course, we're all ignoring the obvious...Britt basically wrote this insane shit for SNL and only a few twists and grams of blow later, it was basically done for them.  She got her lines Friday evening alongside wardrobe and makeup logistics.  I'm sure she spent Saturday during daylight hours running it herself or in studio.  And then the Dress at 8 and Show at 11:30p.  But what we saw at home was the result of maybe 30 hours (minus sleep, so probably 24 hours tops) of Scarlett nailing that.  They didn't even have time to do set design which is why you can tell the staging was obviously not really there.  

Years from now, this will be looked back upon as one of the best cold opening cameos in the show's history, which is really saying something considering who pops in within the first 15 minutes of the show (cold and monologue and first sketch usually.  And future generations will see it on SNL highlight reels and think, "Why is this funny, it's just that woman from the Marvel movies acting weird."  Then a pop-up clip will come up afterwards of the real Britt rebuttal and they'll click on that and spend about 7 hours trying to figure out which one is the parody.  

9 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Years from now, this will be looked back upon as one of the best cold opening cameos in the show's history, which is really saying something considering who pops in within the first 15 minutes of the show (cold and monologue and first sketch usually. 

Perhaps; there's been some good ones. I fell over howling at Brad Pitt's Anthony Fauci a couple of years ago.

Brad is hilarious in the right settings, but I suppose I'm subconsciously elevating (but deservedly so) Scarlett's due to the insane time compression to prepare for it (not just dialogue, but mannerisms).  csb/ I've know a couple writers on the show from back in the day and they said that to do that in basically a half-day Friday and half-day Saturday is insane given all the other shit going on.  Even if it was the only sketch they had to work on, it'd still be difficult.  Although what I said was true A Britt too Much did a lot of the heavy lifting for them, what they all pulled off in roughly less than 24 waking hours gives the sketch a lot of bonus points for me.  

Damon's Kavanaugh is another one that sticks out to me,  but like Pitt...they had a full week to rehearse that.  And then basically every appearance Steve Martin makes he's not hosting.  

But every anti-Biden person who watched the sketch, not a one of 'em complained that the Britt parody was unfair.  It was either "That was pretty damn funny actually" to "Uh, I have no opinion on it....kinda eerie actually."  Like how after Baldwin's Trump impression just turned overly silly even for SNL and MAGA folks complained about it over and over "SNL is too political!"  I've noticed that James Austin Johnson's Trump is so Uncanny Valley that even those that pretend they don't watch SNL because it's too anti-right are simply like, "Yeah, that actually kinda tracks."  Now W/U has markedly turned even more anti-right over the last several years...but then they don't make the news...they just mock it.  Good times, good times...

I guess if you are Britt you can take some solace that while yes, everybody is making fun of your truly dreadful, hamfisted performance, including a show that has a historic almost 50-year history of making fun of people, in making fun of you they chose somebody as good-looking as ScarJo to do it.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Drool 1