Documentaries- whatchoo got?

Sbbruin

25 min documentary on YouTube about Olympian Lindsey Jacobellis. She had a huge lead in the 2006 Olympics and lost the gold by doing a showboat trick and falling at the end. I remember the fall but had no idea she went through so much shit over the years afterwards. 

On 3/29/2024 at 12:39 PM, DixonHur said:

I'll go...

image.png.a5b9f65e8c659ea81f2db8006cb1fc62.png

Fun doc following a long-distance swimmer taking on the Amazon River.

I mean that was interesting..  Between Martin and the river guide they poached from Walmart that didn’t know how to use gps.  It’s amazing he survived.  

If you want to see one of the greatest cinematic achievements ever, the 7 Up Series is for you.  Starting in 1964 when they were 7, they have visited with the same 15 or so people every 7 years to see how they have changed.  They aired 63 Up in 2019, so they have done 9 episodes.  It's enthralling and unexpected every time.  Some depressing and sad parts, but also some beautiful changes throughout their lives.  

The overall concept is that you can show a child at 7 and you can tell who they will be when they are older.  Basically a nature/nurture experiment for the last 60 years.  Some of that has seemed the same while others have varied wildly.  It's truly incredible to watch the whole thing.  The main filmmaker (Michael Apted) died a couple of years ago, but I really hope they keep it going.     

It can be hard to find them all, but it's worth it.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

This one and the one on The Whittakers, a crazy inbred family in the backwoods are strange and interesting.  
IMG_6030.jpeg.827d590389f3100e75f834ae90b34f0d.jpeg

Got to throw out Wild and Wonderful Whites of West Virginia.

Taco Bell scene is always with me.
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 4/9/2024 at 2:21 PM, Hook1997 said:

I mean that was interesting..  Between Martin and the river guide they poached from Walmart that didn’t know how to use gps.  It’s amazing he survived.  

It's like if Colonel Kurtz took his son with him on his descent into madness.

The Walmart guy kinda became the Dennis Hopper character.

Clearly the son fancies himself a better film maker than he is, but I found the whole thing quite fascinating.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Reading a book about the Sentinelese so I decided to watch this.  I came away thinking that there are plenty of terrible people in this doc, and they aren't the people who ultimately killed John Chau.

Edited by Post Oak
  • Hook 'Em 2

Here are some of my favorites:

- Dear Zachary (always been #1, I’ve been on all the social media updates since it came out.)
- Capturing the Friedman’s (approaching a messed up family from the outside in)
- Grizzly Man (big WH fan)
- Nathan for You - Finding Francis
- Some Kind of Heaven
- Beyond Utopia
- The Staircase (all of them)
- Harlan County USA
- King of Kong
- Paradise Lost 1-3
- The Keepers
- Cheshire Murders (rough)

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

Reading a book about the Sentinelese so I decided to watch this.  I came away thinking that there are plenty of terrible people in this doc, and they aren't the people who ultimately killed John Chau.

This was a really good watch. Fuck missionaries 

• Hook 'Em 2

On 4/18/2024 at 12:54 PM, wutang75 said:

Got to throw out Wild and Wonderful Whites of West Virginia.

Taco Bell scene is always with me.

got any FEEESTUZZ?!? 

HER!… They took her baaabbyyyy

TANNER! HEY TANNER

On 4/18/2024 at 9:43 PM, TonyTexas said:

OJ Simpson’s death prompted me to revisit OJ: Made in America on Netflix. Such a great documentary. 

Got stuck in this lately, great damn watch. That prosecution team was so over matched. 

• Like 1

In February 1939, more than 20,000 Americans filled Madison Square Garden for an event billed as a “Pro-American Rally.” Images of George Washington hung alongside swastikas, underlining the organizers' belief that Nazism was entirely consistent with American ideals.

NAZI TOWN, USA tells the largely unknown story of the German American Bund, an organization of Nazi sympathizers on American soil. 

On 3/29/2024 at 6:09 PM, usmc0331horn said:

Shoah by Lanzmann is basically the gold standard for documentaries, 9 hours long but really worth the watch if you love history and want to learn a lot more about witnessing genocide from all sides. Some of the interviews are chilling and devastating.

I watched Shoah several months ago when I was ill and stuck on the couch and it was indeed worth the watch and yes, devastating and heartbreaking. Long, but nine hours is nothing when one thinks of the time cut from millions of lives taken.

For a different theme, Roko Belic's Happy (2011) is a good view. Very uplifting.

I agree that anything nature related with Richard Attenborough is worth a watch. The Ken Burns films, too.

We enjoyed the 2020 doc on the Bee Gees, How Can You Mend A Broken Heart when it came out on HBO.

Some other older ones, Manufacturing Consent (about Noam Chomsky and media); Hoop Dreams (obv. basketball)Won't You Be My Neighbor? (Mr. Rogers but it's not the one with Tom Hanks); March of the Penguins.

I’m not a documentary fan but watched this on Hulu the other day.  It’s about Punky Brewster and a bunch of celebrity kid actors reminiscing on the rougher parts of growing up in the industry.  

One thing that comes through is they all appeared to really like Soleil Moon Frye in a sincere “we just loved hanging out with you” kind of way (who shot it and I guess could have easily shaped it that way).  

image.thumb.jpeg.e3e71c8e2e5315935de6f4ea50f367ec.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1

34 minutes ago, MissingInAction said:

Secrets of the Octopus on Hulu.

Just fascinating animals and smart af.

Favorite scene so far is a fight between an octopus and boxer shrimp.

The octopus uses a clam shell as a shield and blasts the little bastard with dirt until it swims away.

I saw the commercial.  Looks good.

2 hours ago, MissingInAction said:

The octopus uses a clam shell as a shield and blasts the little bastard with dirt until it swims away.

I read “The Mind of an Octopus” recently and would rec that if you haven’t. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, MissingInAction said:

0db2cb5a-6cf2-450e-9dda-a7330643897a_tex

• Haha 1